Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:12:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fundraising for BOINC Farm  (Read 286 times)
Rabinovitch (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076

BTCLife.global participant

View Profile
December 08, 2019, 09:09:48 AM
Last edit: March 20, 2020, 03:51:34 PM by Rabinovitch

Greetings, members of the crypto community!

I apologize in advance if I do not post this topic in the appropriate section of the forum.

I want to share my dream with you.
I have been involved in distributed computing since 2007 starting with United devices and then in the projects based on BOINC platform. I have always regretted that very few people are interested in voluntary assistance to science in principle, especially without personal benefit from it. But personally I did what I could. All processors and video cards in the house were involved in BOINC projects. And then mining came... And even so, part of the processor resources and part of the video cards remained involved in distributed computing. Yes, I agreed to pay for the electricity consumed during the calculations, because through such calculations I helped scientists. I participated and continue to participate in such projects as Rosetta@home, Einstein@home, LHC@home, GPUGRID and in some others.

But my dream is a couple of dozens (the more - the better) of modern powerful computers involved exclusively in BOINC projects. It costs a lot of money (in my understanding). About $300,000. The annual payment for electricity will be about $8000-$10000 (depending on the scale of such a mini data center).

Who knows, perhaps there are people on the planet who are not indifferent to the development of mankind, to the development of science. For my part, I am ready to offer skills in assembling, configuring and administering computers and organizing the infrastructure of data centers, knowledge of the scope of distributed computing projects and their features, but I need funds.
So if you are ready to provide financial assistance for the above-mentioned goals - here is my wallet 3QFxPygdjjjeoMauxt1yZsnnqocgy9f5DC

Starting from the raised amount $3000-$4000 I will be able to show ready and working assembly of single BOINC-machine. People all over the world will have an ability to track corresponding increase in myBOINC statistics, so they will see that there are no any lambos or yachts were purchased on their donations.

Today I see that for example Rosetta@home has 23000 tasks ready to be sent to volunteers' computers. Einstein@home has almost 170000 tasks to send. Processing of each task takes from 10 minutes to 24 hours (depending on whether it's a GPU or a CPU task). It mean that scientists of these (and many other) projects need our help. They need my help. We cannot raise money and buy a supercomputer for each team of scientists behind the aforementioned projects - it will cost much more than $300,000. But what I said above is what we really can do to help scientists who need computing power. A lot of it.

Ideally, I would like the number of jobs ready to be sent to be reduced to 50-100 in each project. Will we be able to do this?

So, if you want to make the world a better place, but don’t know where to start, let's try here?

p.s. Please do not laugh and do not consider me naive, as well as a bilker. The world does not consist of swindlers alone...

From Siberia with love! Hosting by Rabinovitch!
Fundraising for BOINC Farm
Пpoфeccиoнaльнo зaнимaюcь paзвёpтывaниeм фepм (ASIC, GPU, BURST, STORJ, Filecoin), oбopyдoвaниeм пoмeщeний для мaйнингa.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
capulo

Activity: 491
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2019, 11:22:59 PM

what config for 3000-4000$? because if you buy older used servers you can have 10 or more servers for this price Smiley
of course they will not be super energy efficient like ryzen or so, but...  who cares if you have super cheap electricity... (10k bill /year for 100 computers (300k /3k))
Rabinovitch (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2020, 12:06:25 PM

what config for 3000-4000$? because if you buy older used servers you can have 10 or more servers for this price Smiley
of course they will not be super energy efficient like ryzen or so, but...  who cares if you have super cheap electricity... (10k bill /year for 100 computers (300k /3k))
Briefly, I mean a PC based on latest available CPU like Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 3970X, at least 64 Gb of RAM, 2-3 powerful GPUs like RTX 2080Ti (it's a subject of research which GPU to use, but for now it looks that 2080Ti is the best for most GPU demanding project, GPUGRID) and a 512Gb NVME (larger size not required). Sure, a case, a PSU and a motherboard are also required. But I see no reason to select specific components right now.  Roll Eyes

Пpoфeccиoнaльнo зaнимaюcь paзвёpтывaниeм фepм (ASIC, GPU, BURST, STORJ, Filecoin), oбopyдoвaниeм пoмeщeний для мaйнингa.
Rabinovitch (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2020, 09:36:18 AM

We are not alone!  Smiley The American Cancer Society (ACS), a non-profit organization committed to funding cancer research, is now accepting bitcoin donations. Glad to see that BTC is now being used for donations for similar purposes.

https://www.coindesk.com/american-cancer-society-now-accepting-bitcoin-donations-through-bitpay

Rabinovitch (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 14, 2020, 06:09:31 AM

Now in these COVID days many people has joined to Rosetta@home and Folding@home DC projects. Please help me to do even more for Rosetta@home than I can do now.

Rabinovitch (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2020, 11:40:09 AM

Was participating in GPUGrid with 2080Ti for a while. 30min per task. Awesome.  Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: