Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:19:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Solutions  (Read 954 times)
PopoJeff

Activity: 414
Merit: 182

View Profile
December 16, 2019, 12:10:22 AM

Read the story again.  Only the second issue on that trail in a decade.  Not really a dangerous place with those statistics.  Two robberies in 10 years, along a scenic river jogging/biking trail used by hundreds daily.

Random bad stuff happens.

But either way, Your idea kills the man.

Who? The attacker? I say good riddance then. One less asshole to worry about.

No, the old man that had to defend himself. With your idea, he would been even more severely injured or even killed,

Home garage miner: (3) S19j pro

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eddie13
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 2262

BTC or BUST

View Profile
December 16, 2019, 12:16:14 AM

Do you even know how firearms work?
Nope. Just ideas swimming around in my head.
Right..

So, I would like to come from a standpoint assuming that you have good intentions, so I'm not going to get angry with you, but the path to hell is paved with... ...

Let me ask you one question..

How can you honestly be so steadfast in your opinion on something you admittedly know so very little about?
How can you be so sure of your position while knowing that you don't really know what you are even talking about? So sure of your argument you seem..
How?

Chancellor on Brink of Second Bailout for Banks
fatsy (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 16, 2019, 12:18:18 AM

I do, however, live in the real world where I don't have to worry about attacks from deer, Russians, or zombies. ...

How about you do what you want, and I'll do what I want?

Or what I think is best for my protection and that of my family?

Obviously, you've never encountered a hostile wild pig, a rabid dog, been involved in a carjacking, or many other real world things.

If you insist on trying to devise a scheme for others, who have other realities that yours, you will look foolish.
No, I haven't been involved in any of those things.

I just thought of solutions to some problems. I know that these solutions won't work for everyone but at least it's a start. I don't see any other solutions. Do you?

But, its not a solution.  It's an idea.  I applaud people coming up with ideas to solve a problem. But its not a solution until it's deemed to actually be able to solve the problem.  It's an idea, that will not work.  Scratch that plan, come up with a new idea
How will my ideas become solutions if no one wants to even try out my ideas?

What are your ideas for Gun Control and UBI?
fatsy (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2019, 12:24:33 AM
Merited by eddie13 (1)

Read the story again.  Only the second issue on that trail in a decade.  Not really a dangerous place with those statistics.  Two robberies in 10 years, along a scenic river jogging/biking trail used by hundreds daily.

No, the old man that had to defend himself. With your idea, he would been even more severely injured or even killed,
Maybe if he was riding with a friend, he wouldn't have been attacked at all.
eddie13
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 2262

BTC or BUST

View Profile
December 16, 2019, 12:30:29 AM

Maybe, if she wasn't dressed like a slut and got blackout drunk, she wouldn't have been raped?

Does it work that way too?

+1 merit so you don't have posting limitations and can more efficiently entertain me..

Chancellor on Brink of Second Bailout for Banks
PopoJeff

View Profile
December 16, 2019, 12:32:21 AM

So what now? Mandate no one can leave their house unless with a friend?

We're are talking about your cell phone gun IDEA.  Not societal rules/customs.  What does your gun do in this situation?  Or every other failure we've shown you

fatsy (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2019, 12:37:00 AM

Do you even know how firearms work?
Nope. Just ideas swimming around in my head.
Right..

So, I would like to come from a standpoint assuming that you have good intentions, so I'm not going to get angry with you, but the path to hell is paved with... ...

Let me ask you one question..

How can you honestly be so steadfast in your opinion on something you admittedly know so very little about?
How can you be so sure of your position while knowing that you don't really know what you are even talking about? So sure of your argument you seem..
How?

I don't know for sure if my ideas will work. I'm just speculating. But, I know that everyone has not not heard of my ideas. But then again, I could be wrong.
PopoJeff

View Profile
December 16, 2019, 12:40:37 AM

They wont.  Because you still think the gun is the problem.
The problem is the person, the gun is an object or tool. Outlaw guns altogether and they'll kill each other with knifes. Before guns existed, lets say the 1400-1500's for example.... was there a lack of violence?  No, people killed each other with swords and rocks and spears.
The inherent problem is people and the raising of their children. Do you blame the dresser that falls over and kills the 2 year old kid, or the parent for not watching their kid when their climbing on the dresser ?

No matter how many ideas you come up with to alter/ban/abolish an inanimate object, human depravity will simply find a new object to use

But for now, a good dampening measure would be to just simply enforce the gun laws we currently have.  Judges are far too lenient. (See the felon who killed the cop in TX got 150k bail?)

fatsy (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2019, 12:46:47 AM

So what now? Mandate no one can leave their house unless with a friend?

We're are talking about your cell phone gun IDEA.  Not societal rules/customs.  What does your gun do in this situation?  Or every other failure we've shown you
No, just more vigilant and use some common sense. Be street smart. Unfortunately that can't be taught in school.
fatsy (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2019, 12:57:11 AM

The problem is the person, the gun is an object or tool. Outlaw guns altogether and they'll kill each other with knifes. Before guns existed, lets say the 1400-1500's for example.... was there a lack of violence?  No, people killed each other with swords and rocks and spears.
The inherent problem is people and the raising of their children. Do you blame the dresser that falls over and kills the 2 year old kid, or the parent for not watching their kid when their climbing on the dresser ?

No matter how many ideas you come up with to alter/ban/abolish an inanimate object, human depravity will simply find a new object to use

But for now, a good dampening measure would be to just simply enforce the gun laws we currently have.  Judges are far too lenient. (See the felon who killed the cop in TX got 150k bail?)
I never said that the gun is the problem and we need to ban guns. It's the firing of guns by anyone holding the gun is the problem.
PopoJeff

View Profile
December 16, 2019, 01:06:03 AM

I never said that the gun is the problem and we need to ban guns. It's the firing of guns by anyone holding the gun is the problem.

And the knife is not the problem, its the thrusting of the knife?

Come on.  If you are now saying the gun is not the problem, but the pulling of the trigger is.....  (pulling the trigger requires human input)... then why are you trying to fix the gun, and not the reason behind the trigger pull?

The gun will not fire without human intervention. You need to fix the human.

fatsy (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2019, 01:19:33 AM

And the knife is not the problem, its the thrusting of the knife?

Come on.  If you are now saying the gun is not the problem, but the pulling of the trigger is.....  (pulling the trigger requires human input)... then why are you trying to fix the gun, and not the reason behind the trigger pull?

The gun will not fire without human intervention. You need to fix the human.
Right, the gun can't be fired without human interaction. Again, the problem comes from the gun ending up in the wrong hands. We, as humans, can't always control that.
PopoJeff

View Profile
December 16, 2019, 02:35:18 AM

Right, the gun can't be fired without human interaction. Again, the problem comes from the gun ending up in the wrong hands. We, as humans, can't always control that.

Ok.  You're arguing in a circle and missing your exit.  But that's ok.  We agree that the human factor is the issue. You're looking to "baby-proof" the gun to restrict access. But wouldn't it be more effective to fix the human?   Instead of a "crap, can't use that gun, where's the knife?" result.....   what if we fix the root cause so their thought process is now "geez, I can't do that, imagine the death destruction and misery I'd cause". Or "can't do that, it's illegal".     Your idea is putting a bandaid on an arterial bleed.

I certainly don't have the answer to fixing the gang mentality, criminal appeal, lack of respect and mental health issues that cause 99% of shootings. But I do know we proved your idea will not work, based simply on cell coverage gaps.

fatsy (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2019, 03:13:23 AM

Ok.  You're arguing in a circle and missing your exit.  But that's ok.  We agree that the human factor is the issue. You're looking to "baby-proof" the gun to restrict access. But wouldn't it be more effective to fix the human?   Instead of a "crap, can't use that gun, where's the knife?" result.....   what if we fix the root cause so their thought process is now "geez, I can't do that, imagine the death destruction and misery I'd cause". Or "can't do that, it's illegal".     Your idea is putting a bandaid on an arterial bleed.

I certainly don't have the answer to fixing the gang mentality, criminal appeal, lack of respect and mental health issues that cause 99% of shootings. But I do know we proved your idea will not work, based simply on cell coverage gaps.
You can't be there all the time to make sure your gun or any gun doesn't end up in the wrong hands. A five year old who got a hold of his daddy's gun for example. How do you stop the kid from firing the gun?
PopoJeff

View Profile
December 16, 2019, 03:44:39 AM

Ok.  You're arguing in a circle and missing your exit.  But that's ok.  We agree that the human factor is the issue. You're looking to "baby-proof" the gun to restrict access. But wouldn't it be more effective to fix the human?   Instead of a "crap, can't use that gun, where's the knife?" result.....   what if we fix the root cause so their thought process is now "geez, I can't do that, imagine the death destruction and misery I'd cause". Or "can't do that, it's illegal".     Your idea is putting a bandaid on an arterial bleed.

You can't be there all the time to make sure your gun or any gun doesn't end up in the wrong hands. A five year old who got a hold of his daddy's gun for example. How do you stop the kid from firing the gun?

Same way I stopped my 3 kids from getting anything I didn't want them to have.  The gun, locked up. My money, phone, beer, cigarettes... told them no and enforced consequences.

I've got about 30 different firearms right now. And have had guns since about 1988. Guess how many of my kids were harmed. Zero.  Guess how many were stolen. Zero.  

Which is another point I mentioned a few pages ago.  When you enact new laws/restrictions on guns, the only people it affects are the legal gun owners. The criminals don't care what your law says.
We already have laws to punish a parent if the kid kid gets hold of a gun.

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2019, 04:21:52 AM

No, just more vigilant and use some common sense. Be street smart. Unfortunately that can't be taught in school.

Too bad you are neither street smart not book smart. What is stopping people form just making their own guns? Importing unlocked guns? Using explosives, fire, vehicles, knives, airguns, to kill people? Are you not getting any kind of clue why "your ideas" are half baked failures? The world is not your science experiment. You have to prove ideas before they are implemented, especially when the safety of hundreds of millions is at risk.
Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
December 16, 2019, 05:22:12 AM

Legal guns not firing in public just means criminals using illegal guns don't have to worry about a gun-wielding public. I believe there were already several incidents in the US where people shot down mass shooters. Imagine if you actually have to wait for the police to come.

Sure you can make it so that in the event that a mass shooting happens all the other guns unlock but there will be a delay between the center receiving information that one is indeed happening and them being able to deactivate the block.

Not to mention they'd probably spend even more time "confirming" the incident before being forced to unlock guns coz "Guns Bad!".

Since criminals follow the law and don't do things that are illegal, that sounds great!

Wait...

Wait they don't follow the law? I'm shookt!
Taking down a shooter in public is the job of cops; not fellow bystanders. Law enforcement don't need preauthorization to fire their guns. Unless, we change the law so that cops can't just shoot anyone when they feel like it. Maybe they should get an "ok" from a superior before they can shoot.

Look, this is far from being a reality because of too much red tape and organizations like the NRA. No one has the balls to initiate change. We will continue to have mass shootings and accidental gun deaths. This is the world we live in unless we truly want change.

Awww, that's cute. Yeah, I'm so totally just gonna sit there and wait for the cops while someone have a gun pointed at me. Those gun-owning bystanders can go pound sand, I don't need their help!   Roll Eyes

For a taste of what a disarmed police force is go look at the all those cops knifed down in the UK. Now before you point out that UPS hostage incident, it were the cops that were stupid, not the guns.
fatsy (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2019, 05:51:43 AM

Legal guns not firing in public just means criminals using illegal guns don't have to worry about a gun-wielding public. I believe there were already several incidents in the US where people shot down mass shooters. Imagine if you actually have to wait for the police to come.

Sure you can make it so that in the event that a mass shooting happens all the other guns unlock but there will be a delay between the center receiving information that one is indeed happening and them being able to deactivate the block.

Not to mention they'd probably spend even more time "confirming" the incident before being forced to unlock guns coz "Guns Bad!".

Since criminals follow the law and don't do things that are illegal, that sounds great!

Wait...

Wait they don't follow the law? I'm shookt!
Taking down a shooter in public is the job of cops; not fellow bystanders. Law enforcement don't need preauthorization to fire their guns. Unless, we change the law so that cops can't just shoot anyone when they feel like it. Maybe they should get an "ok" from a superior before they can shoot.

Look, this is far from being a reality because of too much red tape and organizations like the NRA. No one has the balls to initiate change. We will continue to have mass shootings and accidental gun deaths. This is the world we live in unless we truly want change.

Awww, that's cute. Yeah, I'm so totally just gonna sit there and wait for the cops while someone have a gun pointed at me. Those gun-owning bystanders can go pound sand, I don't need their help!   Roll Eyes

For a taste of what a disarmed police force is go look at the all those cops knifed down in the UK. Now before you point out that UPS hostage incident, it were the cops that were stupid, not the guns.
PopoJeff, you're a cop. You agree with that? That the cops were stupid?
fatsy (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2019, 06:03:16 AM

Too bad you are neither street smart not book smart. What is stopping people form just making their own guns? Importing unlocked guns? Using explosives, fire, vehicles, knives, airguns, to kill people? Are you not getting any kind of clue why "your ideas" are half baked failures? The world is not your science experiment. You have to prove ideas before they are implemented, especially when the safety of hundreds of millions is at risk.
Uh, I don't know. Because it's easier to buy (off the street) or steal a gun than to make one?

So, how do I go about to try to prove my ideas? Where do I start?
fatsy (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2019, 06:17:43 AM

Ok.  You're arguing in a circle and missing your exit.  But that's ok.  We agree that the human factor is the issue. You're looking to "baby-proof" the gun to restrict access. But wouldn't it be more effective to fix the human?   Instead of a "crap, can't use that gun, where's the knife?" result.....   what if we fix the root cause so their thought process is now "geez, I can't do that, imagine the death destruction and misery I'd cause". Or "can't do that, it's illegal".     Your idea is putting a bandaid on an arterial bleed.

Same way I stopped my 3 kids from getting anything I didn't want them to have.  The gun, locked up. My money, phone, beer, cigarettes... told them no and enforced consequences.

I've got about 30 different firearms right now. And have had guns since about 1988. Guess how many of my kids were harmed. Zero.  Guess how many were stolen. Zero.  

Which is another point I mentioned a few pages ago.  When you enact new laws/restrictions on guns, the only people it affects are the legal gun owners. The criminals don't care what your law says.
We already have laws to punish a parent if the kid kid gets hold of a gun.
Congratulations. You are one of the smart and responsible gun owners.

Tell that to a family that wasn't so lucky and lost someone because someone wasn't as careful as you.

Or, the victims of mass shootings like Sandy Hook.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: