Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 07:06:23 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Early adoption stage  (Read 5324 times)
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 07:28:42 PM

Would you say we are in early adoption stage?
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 07:34:02 PM

Yes. Very early.
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 07:34:15 PM

yes I think we are, but I also feel like we might always be in the "early adopter" stage, kind of how Google Glass users will always be early adopters.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 07:37:53 PM

Yes. Be prepared to be called a sinister "early adopter".  Undecided

It's like the internet. The day your Mom sent you a FB friend request it was all over. Wait until she sends you BTC to pay for collage textbooks, then we are mainstream.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
bassclef

Activity: 924

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 07:42:42 PM

More like in an advanced phase. I believe that the coming months will make or break Bitcoin. Also, Bitcoin is being almost exclusively kept as an investment, instead of being used as a currency (yes, that is obvious, but I just wanted to emphasize that little fact). If no big players start adopting Bitcoin before december 31st 2014, it will be over. Investors will start to realize that Bitcoin is overpriced and at that point, everyone will rush to the door.

I don't know about the other cryptos in such a situation though.

Last year called, they want their main argument back.
tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 07:44:09 PM

It is interesting what you say, especially that in my game I will be accepting bitcoins exclusively and no one will convince me to use 3rd party companies like paypal or other banks. You are talking from speculative point of view and I'm from practical and I have no doubt bitcoin will succeed.

Dalmar

Activity: 1092
Merit: 500

Life is short, practice empathy in your life

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 07:55:21 PM

More like in an advanced phase. I believe that the coming months will make or break Bitcoin. Also, Bitcoin is being almost exclusively kept as an investment, instead of being used as a currency (yes, that is obvious, but I just wanted to emphasize that little fact). If no big players start adopting Bitcoin before december 31st 2014, it will be over. Investors will start to realize that Bitcoin is overpriced and at that point, everyone will rush to the door.

What you just described is called market capitulation, not necessarily the end of bitcoin.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄
▄▄██████████████████████▄
 █████████████▀█████████████▄
▄█████████████▀ ▄█▀ ███████████
▄██████████      ▀▀  ████████████
▄█████████████   ▄▄▄   ▀▀██████████
█████████████▀   ████▄   ▀█████████▄
█████████████    ▀▀█▀▀   ▄██████████
████████████▀   ▄▄      ████████████
████████████   ▄████▄    ███████████
█████████      ██████    ██████████
█████████▄▄            ▄██████████
▀██████████  ██  ▄▄▄▄████████████
▀█████████▄▄█▄ ███████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

B i t c o i n t a l k   ▄▄▄▄▄

DONATION CAMPAIGN

▄
                                   ▄██
               ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄           ▄███
             ▄█████████▄        ████
▄▄▄         ▄████████████     ▄████▀
 ▀██▄▄      █████████████   ▄█████▀
  ▀█████▄   █████████████  ▄██████
    ▀█████▄  ███████████▀▄███████
     ▀██████▄▄▀▀██████▀ ████████▀
       ████████▄      ▄████████▀
        █████████▄  ▄██████████
         █████████████████████
          ████████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ███████████████████
          ██████████████▀▀▀
          ███████▀▀▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀

BE A HOPE
FOR A LIVABLE WORLD
▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀██████████
███████████▀       ▀█▀       ▀█████████
███████████▀                    █████████
███████████                     █████████
█████████████                   ███████████
██████████████▄               ▄████████████
████████████████▄▄▄         ▄█▀▀   ████████
███████████▀▀     ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄██     ▄████████
██████▀█▄                ▀▀▀█▄ ▄█████████
██████▄ █▄          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄███████████
██████▄ ▀█                ▄████████████
██████▄  ██████▄▄▄    ▄██████████████
▀██████▄██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀

ONE

little

HELP CHANGES
EVERYTHING

..DONATE..
bassclef

Activity: 924

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 08:21:59 PM

Last year called, they want their main argument back.

Though I'd prefer not to respond to your comment, I still will do just that. I believe you are trying to 'frame' me in a certain category of people, something which I do not like. Also: this is my opinion and mine alone. I didn't have this opinion back in 2013, and above all I'm free to express it. It always catches my eye how many proponents of Bitcoin on these forums immediatly resort to ad hominems and other wrong strategies of conversation.

I simply saw that you were a new user with a 9 post history expressing doubt. I'm free to express my opinion too--I get tired of posts that rehash the same argument over and over again. It's nothing personal, but this place is overrun with trolls and skeptics who delight in spreading FUD and Schadenfreude at every opportunity.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 08:33:00 PM

In a sense, anyone who buys before bitcoin reaches its final, stable price (somewhere north of $100k) could be considered "early". Certainly if we ask the next generation, should it survive that long. All depends on perspective.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
UnDerDoG81
Legendary

Activity: 2179
Merit: 1201

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 08:40:31 PM

Early adoption phase was single maybe double digits. Like with anything, the more people know about it and the more mainstream it goes, the less profit you can get out of it.

Not sure what really early adopters think about btc? Are they still in? Or sold and enjoy the money or invested in something else the public did not heared about it.

And bitcoin @100.000$ is so absurd if we can't even pass 600. Maybe 100.000$ when you can buy an lollipop with that amount of dollar in next future.

And yeah I'm very pissed that i bought @685 and can't pay out at the moment without an loss of 10k
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 08:46:17 PM

my answer is check out rovio. it has a market cap in the same range as bitcoin.

it is the company that does angry birds. that´s all they do. the future of money has the same market cap as a several year old single game app. sounds pretty early to me....  Wink
TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 09:19:27 PM

- Governments are writing legislation about and holding publicized meetings about Bitcoin. Bitcoin is already starting to collide with and meet resistence from the establishment.
- If you go into a room at least a few people know about bitcoin.
- There are several news articles every day about bitcoin.
- My Facebook friends are now into Bitcoin.
- Bitcoin is often on the front page of Yahoo Business/Finance and other news pages, and often on NPR.
- Bitcoin exchanges are getting ready to launch in wall street.
- Tens/Hundred of thousands of businesses have already adopted Bitcoin, including major mainstream online retailers.

The "early" phase is over. This might not be the "final" phase but I don't think it's the early phase because there is such a large awareness and adoption already.

The reason the market cap is so small is because people have CHOSEN not to use it. We are not even guaranteed that bitcoin is "the future of money" so your logic of the relation of bitcoin's market cap to angry birds and to some potential market cap of quadrillions of dollars is based on a false premise. Maybe the realistic future of bitcoin is only to reach the market cap of Google or Facebook, in which case we've already realized 1/50 - 1/20 of it.  Or maybe the fair market cap of Bitcoin is the market cap of Western Union, which it's already at.
kireinaha

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 09:47:02 PM

- Governments are writing legislation about and holding publicized meetings about Bitcoin. Bitcoin is already starting to collide with and meet resistence from the establishment.
- Bitcoin is often on the front page of Yahoo Business/Finance and other news pages, and often on NPR.
- Tens/Hundred of thousands of businesses have already adopted Bitcoin, including major mainstream online retailers.

The "early" phase is over. This might not be the "final" phase but I don't think it's the early phase because there is such a large awareness and adoption already.

The reason the market cap is so small is because people have CHOSEN not to use it. We are not even guaranteed that bitcoin is "the future of money" so your logic of the relation of bitcoin's market cap to angry birds and to some potential market cap of quadrillions of dollars is based on a false premise. Maybe the realistic future of bitcoin is only to reach the market cap of Google or Facebook, in which case we've already realized 1/50 - 1/20 of it.  Or maybe the fair market cap of Bitcoin is the market cap of Western Union, which it's already at.

Good assessment, I agree. I think the "early adopter" line is basically a sales pitch used by those who are already invested in bitcoin and have interest in seeing it rise further. It's used around here so often now that I find it concerning. If we look back in 2010 I doubt we'd see too many posts from those guys claiming that they were all "early adopters". They really did find bitcoin early, and to them it was interesting and they hoped for the best, that's all.

The fact that we use it so often now leads me to believe that we're reaching a saturation point. I do believe the price will go up some more, but we're never going to hit ridiculous figures like 10,000 USD or more without real life case scenarios for why people need bitcoin. now it's still a speculative intsrument, with some small niche utilities. that will need to change.

Zapffe

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 09:53:20 PM

Half of the bitcoins that will ever exist, have been mined in the last 5 years, the other half will be mined in about 120 years.
I'll let you decide if you're early or late...
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 10:01:16 PM

The reason the market cap is so small is because people have CHOSEN not to use it. We are not even guaranteed that bitcoin is "the future of money" so your logic of the relation of bitcoin's market cap to angry birds and to some potential market cap of quadrillions of dollars is based on a false premise. Maybe the realistic future of bitcoin is only to reach the market cap of Google or Facebook, in which case we've already realized 1/50 - 1/20 of it.  Or maybe the fair market cap of Bitcoin is the market cap of Western Union, which it's already at.

ok, but ...

having gone 1 mile out of 20 or even 1 out of 50 miles would still be kinda early.
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 10:08:33 PM

The reason the market cap is so small is because people have CHOSEN not to use it. We are not even guaranteed that bitcoin is "the future of money" so your logic of the relation of bitcoin's market cap to angry birds and to some potential market cap of quadrillions of dollars is based on a false premise. Maybe the realistic future of bitcoin is only to reach the market cap of Google or Facebook, in which case we've already realized 1/50 - 1/20 of it.  Or maybe the fair market cap of Bitcoin is the market cap of Western Union, which it's already at.

ok, but ...

having gone 1 mile out of 20 or even 1 out of 50 miles would still be kinda early.

We might be holding a $1 Coca Cola or Microsoft share for all we know or maybe a dot-com bubble stock that crashes.

HODL and see!! In 20 years you will be filthy rich or just as poor Smiley

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
kireinaha

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 10:12:27 PM

more like, wait 20 years and open your wallet to find hard drive has crashed, pc has been hacked and long stolen, USB thumb drive is corrupted, paper wallet damaged in fire/water/bleached by sunlight/eaten by mice/disintegrated by time, etc.

TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 10:14:08 PM

ok, but ...

It would not be early if you look at it on a logarithmic chart; it would already be most of the way to the top, given that bitcoin has already risen x1,000,000
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 10:41:39 PM

without real life case scenarios for why people need bitcoin
Those scenarios already exist. More will come, and far, far more people than now will become aware of them. The timing wasn't coincidental.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 10:49:00 PM

I'm not too sure anyone who is registered and posting on here has the objectivity to nail the stage of adoption we're at. Their Bitcoin radar is so finely tuned that it can't pick up the wider world.

Here is my warped opinion - early as shit.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: