Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 08:45:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-03-18] New Bitcoin glitch: Blockchain suffers hours-long outage  (Read 1586 times)
seriouscoin (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 01:30:06 AM
Last edit: March 20, 2014, 10:06:18 PM by malevolent

Yup i made you click to read this ridiculous article:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57620465-93/new-bitcoin-glitch-blockchain-suffers-hours-long-outage/

Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2014, 01:36:33 AM

With the high-profile collapse of Bitcoin exchange site Mt. Gox in February and then Flexcoin's failure earlier in March, Bitcoin backers could be forgiven for fretting about the fate of their virtual currency. Blockchain servers house nearly 1.4 million bitcoin wallets, but the company says the access problem is only a temporary glitch -- albeit one that's lasted more than 16 hours so far.
(...)

Omg ... this guy is crazy - he mentioned Mt Gox , FlexCoin and a BlockChain in one article Tongue
Perhaps he wanted to get more views.

Article is ridiculous.
bitbouillion

Activity: 868
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 01:38:26 AM

http://blockexplorer.com/ is up and running. My node is fine too. I see no blockchain outage.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 02:50:42 AM

And of course, blockchain.info does not hold anyone's money, as their system is designed so that the private keys are held client-side on the users machine, not on the blockchain.info servers as the article states. I think everyone here knew this already, though.

Vires in numeris
seriouscoin (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 03:17:39 AM

http://blockexplorer.com/ is up and running. My node is fine too. I see no blockchain outage.

Dont we love these FUDs by media?

I'm actually sick of these so called tech editor.....How can we even read their articles?
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2014, 01:25:01 PM

And of course, blockchain.info does not hold anyone's money, as their system is designed so that the private keys are held client-side on the users machine, not on the blockchain.info servers as the article states. I think everyone here knew this already, though.

Does that mean if I reformat all of the computers I've accessed my blockchain.info account (including my phone), then I lose the bitcoins in my account?

I've heard your explanation plenty of times, but I don't technically understand it... I'm part of the morons who are relying upon blockchain for my "spending wallet" which isn't too much, but would suck if I lost it.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 01:50:21 PM
Last edit: March 19, 2014, 02:07:25 PM by cr1776

Does that mean if I reformat all of the computers I've accessed my blockchain.info account (including my phone), then I lose the bitcoins in my account?

I've heard your explanation plenty of times, but I don't technically understand it... I'm part of the morons who are relying upon blockchain for my "spending wallet" which isn't too much, but would suck if I lost it.

These links have a good explanation of it, better than I could explain (or type!) here, but you want to (a) keep a local (encrypted) backup just in case, and (b) if you know the blockchain.info password, they have it stored at AWS as their backup:

https://blockchain.info/wallet/how-it-works

And here:
https://blockchain.info/wallet/wallet-faq

:-)
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2014, 03:13:17 PM

These links have a good explanation of it, better than I could explain (or type!) here, but you want to (a) keep a local (encrypted) backup just in case, and (b) if you know the blockchain.info password, they have it stored at AWS as their backup:

And here:

Thanks lots; that's perfect!

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
the_poet
Legendary

Activity: 1137
Merit: 1035

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 04:20:51 PM

And here:

Thanks for the links, but I'm still uncertain as to what the answer to kjlimo's question is. Where are the priv keys used by Blockchain.info stored on my HDD? And will I lose my wallet if I reformat the systems I accessed Blockchain.info from?

Thanks for the patience Smiley

Under construction.
flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 04:48:40 PM

the keys are on their servers, but encrypted with your password.
i'd strongly recommend their email or dropbox backup
seriouscoin (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 07:04:58 PM

the keys are on their servers, but encrypted with your password.
i'd strongly recommend their email or dropbox backup

yup, they dont store any password, just encrypted data. If you lose your passwd, you will lose all your btc.
Dimelord

Activity: 490

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 07:10:46 PM

That article is the BitShit of the day.  Roll Eyes
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:56:06 AM

I believe Blockchain lets you create a local backup. I would strongly recommend it, even a paper backup if they allow it.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 01:15:47 PM

Here lies the problem: people are using bitcoin and related services without having any idea of how it works. Private key? Backup? Wallet? What is that? They just think everything works. So long for the "be your own bank"

Agent99

Activity: 147
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:30:14 PM

It was down again yestoday! it was 25 min period it was down and it was 25 min I was nervous  Embarrassed
the_poet
Legendary

Activity: 1137
Merit: 1035

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 08:11:47 PM

It was down again yestoday! it was 25 min period it was down and it was 25 min I was nervous  Embarrassed

...and then a big red message showed up on the homepage: "All your bitcoins are belong to us"!

Relax guys! Cheesy

Under construction.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 08:15:09 PM

...and then a big red message showed up on the homepage: "All your bitcoins are belong to us"!

Relax guys! Cheesy

Or rather, harsh as it may come across... learn a little about the technology you're dropping your money into!

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
BigBrother

Activity: 439
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 12:25:22 PM

Blockchainhas was down but for a short period of time . Still it's not ok that it has happened but there is no system that work without any problems! We should remember that Blockchain has been working very good for a long time and no dubt it is going to work well in future!

Btw, agree the article is ridiculous

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 10:16:46 PM

Sigh swear these journalists have a destroy bitcoin agenda with inaccuarate propaganda aka not a bitcoin glitch but a blockchain one or are too much in a shell to care otherwise

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: