Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:02:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 0.9.0 FINAL is available [Changelog] [Download]  (Read 38263 times)
smoothrunnings

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 10:31:21 PM

There is something really different in 0.9.0 over 0.8.6, when I try to run either the 32bit or 64bit bin on my openSUSE 13.1 it refuses it work were as 0.8.6 binaries worked without any issues. (sigh)

Does anyone here use openSUSE?

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 11:51:28 PM

Dont download this, the receive bitcoin address list is missing. And you have to start over.

I was just about to do this upgrade, what exactly is the problem you're referring to?

The receive list as we know it is fucked. This is what it used to look like https://bitbargain.co.uk/s/img/sign_message.png

The new one looks like you have to fill out a note from grandma evertime you want to receive coins,.

Is there any truth to what this user encountered with receive addresses after upgrading?

Any devs want to chime in on this?

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
drrussellshane

Activity: 546

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 12:01:40 AM

Dont download this, the receive bitcoin address list is missing. And you have to start over.

I was just about to do this upgrade, what exactly is the problem you're referring to?

The receive list as we know it is fucked. This is what it used to look like https://bitbargain.co.uk/s/img/sign_message.png

The new one looks like you have to fill out a note from grandma evertime you want to receive coins,.

Is there any truth to what this user encountered with receive addresses after upgrading?

The receiving addresses are still there, just in a different place, and that poster freaked out.

In the top left of the Bitcoin Core client, click "File", then "Receiving Addresses..."

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 12:14:26 AM

The Receive page has been revamped to make it easier to use correctly.
If you're trying to use addresses wrong, it will be slightly less convenient as you go to the menu...

merv77

Activity: 574

1.21 GIGA WATTS

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 12:25:33 AM

beat me to it guys, yes it is still there in 'file' menu.

and to sign address same place in 'file' menu

ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 12:29:30 AM

Thanks all, I feel much more at ease.

I'll backup my wallet.dat then give it whirl.

Appreciate all the time and hard work done by the core developers and the community.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 01:06:21 AM

That worked, thank you. Next stumbling block: It seems the data directories for the blocks and wallet have changed? The client starts with 270 weeks back. Where can I set the datadir?

I didn't have to set my directory but this may help as a terminal command option  -datadir=<dir>         Specify data directory

Edit: I don't know if this has anything to do with it but you may have to install Berkley DB 4.8 but others here will know better than me about that. Don't do it based on my advice. I did to avoid the error I was getting when compiling my own.

Code:
./bitcoin-qt -datadir=/home/xyz/.bitcoin &

Worked like a charm for me.

As an added bonus there are now several more bitcoins in my wallet. Not sure what happened there, but judging from the time it took to start bitcoin core it must have done a re-scan and found same additional tx. (?)

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 01:07:40 AM

In this version, you can add a new receive addy without needing to enter wallet's pswd.
I actually liked having to enter pswd when creating a new receive addy before.
What was the reasoning behind this change?
jsgayo

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 02:20:43 AM

Great job! Thanks

GrapeApe

Activity: 476

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 05:20:02 AM

That worked, thank you. Next stumbling block: It seems the data directories for the blocks and wallet have changed? The client starts with 270 weeks back. Where can I set the datadir?

I didn't have to set my directory but this may help as a terminal command option  -datadir=<dir>         Specify data directory

Edit: I don't know if this has anything to do with it but you may have to install Berkley DB 4.8 but others here will know better than me about that. Don't do it based on my advice. I did to avoid the error I was getting when compiling my own.

Code:
./bitcoin-qt -datadir=/home/xyz/.bitcoin &

Worked like a charm for me.

As an added bonus there are now several more bitcoins in my wallet. Not sure what happened there, but judging from the time it took to start bitcoin core it must have done a re-scan and found same additional tx. (?)

Hey glad I could help. Not sure what to tell about the extra coins but thanks for the tip. Grin
pandalion98

Activity: 504

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 09:09:10 AM

I think I'll just stick to blockchain.info... It's because of block chain size and stuff.
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 09:14:31 AM

bitcoin-qt.exe -datadir=X:\BitCoin

That did the trick for me Wink
No need for such wrapper scripts unless you have multiple copies of the block chain around.
Try passing -choosedatadir (once) to set the datadir in the registry.

I think I'll just stick to blockchain.info... It's because of block chain size and stuff.
If you don't use the software, please don't reply here.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:10:54 AM

bitcoin-qt.exe -datadir=X:\BitCoin

That did the trick for me Wink
No need for such wrapper scripts unless you have multiple copies of the block chain around.
Try passing -choosedatadir (once) to set the datadir in the registry.

Sorted! Thank you!

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
alphateam

Activity: 1036
Merit: 531

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 12:46:53 PM

it seems that the new wallet not like folder with é or è  Sad
I have an é in my folder name, and unable to install the file of the first launch on it. Other folders no problem
Seems a problem with UTF8 in file names. Strange. What OS?

Win 8.1 64bits
OK created an issue
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/3916

Thx  Wink
mmitech
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

things you own end up owning you

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 12:56:08 PM

One thing I would suggest for devs, while I like the feature of new addresses and change addresses I don't know why cant we make this as an option for advanced users only.

For example I wanted to teach my parents about how to use Bitcoin, they think that they are Tech savvy, the truth is that my father manage to screw up the PC all the time, he thinks that he is a hardcore computer scientist and end up messing system files all the time. and then he go with a new installation without asking if anyone have important files on the PC, he also offers "help" to his friends...you can only imagine what can happen if they all have Bitcoin-qt.

I can imagine how can he lose all the bitcoins just by making a transaction and not backing up the wallet, one approach is to introduce these users to Armory, but I think this can be implemented in Bitcoin-qt because usually this is the first software a newbie installs. I've also seen few users asking where their bitcoin went after system re-installation.

The other kind of users rely on exchanges to save their coins, for them it is easier and less work to do, people are still used to the old fashion system when you leave your funds in a bank and they secure/manage them for you, this goes against some of the concepts of Bitcoin.

I don't know if this was brought up before, but I wish if Devs do look into it. 
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 01:02:02 PM

One thing I would suggest for devs, while I like the feature of new addresses and change addresses I don't know why cant we make this as an option for advanced users only.
Please don't recommend bitcoin-qt to non-tech-savvy users! To run it safely, you need enough backup discipline.

Ideally, deterministic wallets would be implemented and only a single backup would be needed at the beginning, but we're really short on developers that have deep enough knowledge about the wallet system and dare making changes to it.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
smoothrunnings

Activity: 616

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 01:09:18 PM

I had a look at the *nix install notes for bitcoin-qt 0.9.0 and wasn't able to determine what I need to run to make / install bitcoin-qt from the source that I wonder if someone could help me?

I need to compile it under openSUSE 13.1, I currently have 0.8.6 which I downloaded from the software.opensuse.org site, there isn't an update yet, I suspect the people who have compiled 0.8.6 either haven't setup 0.9.0 on their systems or aren't bitcoin mining anymore. Sad

Thanks
rero2

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 05:43:38 PM

nice, thanks for the update bro
halfawake

Activity: 490

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 07:05:19 PM

I was using 0.8.4 before.I uninstalled it using windows uninstaller.restarted comp.Then installed  0.9.0..Its up and running already with all info from previous version.Is this normal?I thought It was suppose to install the blockchain again?

Yes that is normal you only need to redownload/reindex the blockchain if you were using 0.7.2 or earlier.

That has NOT been the case for me.  I was using 0.8.6 and I got a message this morning from bitcoin-qt that it's going to have to reindex the entire blockchain.  It's telling me now that it's 51 weeks behind, I'm really not happy about this being necessary.  I'm pretty sure 0.8.6 was the most recent stable version before 0.9.0, which would mean that everyone using Windows 7 is having to reindex. 

Granted, I did not uninstall the old version like this poster did, but it looked like the installer said all I had to do was turn off bitcoin-qt, not uninstalling it completely.  So I followed the directions.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 10:06:15 PM

reindexing blockchain ... proove that you have many problem on your HDD.
i have installed the v0.9 on 2 computer (WinXP and Win8) = no indexing, no problem.

but, because of the 400Mo of RAM needed by the default setting of the CACHE (100Mo) ... i have decreased this setting to 10Mo.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: