Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:26:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 0.9.0 FINAL is available [Changelog] [Download]  (Read 38263 times)
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 01:36:25 AM

The doc/build-unix.md instructions say:

To Build
---------------------

./autogen.sh
        ./configure
        make

yet the supplied tarball for linux (https://bitcoin.org/bin/0.9.0/bitcoin-0.9.0-linux.tar.gz)has no autogen.sh script supplied in src.

Is it expected to generate that script locally (which would be unorthodox)? But if so it should say so in the documentation.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
David M

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 02:04:38 AM

Ok, I have installed it, but how to refer to the data path? such as "D:\Coins\Bitcoin". When i installed it, i did not see this option. It was been installed in Disk C.

What OS?

I'll take a punt and say windows...

1) Right-Click the Bitcoin Icon from the desktop and select "Properties"
2) In the "Shortcut" tab look for the "Target" field.  It should say something like "C:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe"
3) Edit this field and after the last quote add the following: -datadir=D:\Coins\Bitcoin

The target should now look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe" -datadir=D:\Coins\Bitcoin

NB:  Notice the quotes

4) Press OK.

There are a whole bunch of switches (arguments) that can be used.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin#Command-line_arguments

MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
April 01, 2014, 08:54:53 PM

Uninstalled 0.8.6 and installed 0.9.0 without any problems at all. Windows XP Professional SP3

I think the requirement to uninstall previous version are because of renaming to Bitcoin Core. The files are in same place with only difference in start menu shortcuts.

0.9.0 have some useful improvements over previous version, coin control is the best and most important one! Upgrade safely because it is not more fucked up than previous Qt versions starting with 0.5.0

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 06:14:13 AM

Ok, I have installed it, but how to refer to the data path? such as "D:\Coins\Bitcoin". When i installed it, i did not see this option. It was been installed in Disk C.
When bitcoin core is not running, move the data directory to the place you want it (make sure to backup your wallet).

At the next start it will notice that the data directory no longer exists, and you can select where it is.

The doc/build-unix.md instructions say:

To Build
---------------------

./autogen.sh
        ./configure
        make

yet the supplied tarball for linux (https://bitcoin.org/bin/0.9.0/bitcoin-0.9.0-linux.tar.gz)has no autogen.sh script supplied in src.

Is it expected to generate that script locally (which would be unorthodox)? But if so it should say so in the documentation.
Just skip the autogen.sh step. It has been done for you in tarball builds, ./configure will already exist.

Though it's probably wrong that the tarballs don't package that.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
DubFX

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 08:51:16 AM

Great job devs downloading it now, btw congratz on 420 activity Grin
ycl1059847

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 09:03:47 AM

Have downloaded
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 12:59:49 PM
Last edit: April 03, 2014, 05:03:08 PM by DeathAndTaxes

When the bitcoin core client is launched on a windows machine with no established data directory, it will prompt the user for the location of a data directory.  Where is this value set?  Nothing is set in the bitcoin.conf. Registry?  Magic?

I like the feature I just don't like not knowing how it works. Smiley

Also bitcoind doesn't seem to use the same "data directory" discovery.  I have to add a datadir line to the config and point bitcoind to the config file to ensure it uses the same directory.

Looks like it might write it to the registry?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Bitcoin\Bitcoin-Qt]
"bImportFinished"="true"
"nWindowPos"="@Point(323 217)"
"nWindowSize"="@Size(1581 785)"
"nTransactionFee"=hex(b):12,27,00,00,00,00,00,00
"fUseUPnP"="false"
"fUseProxy"="false"
"addrProxy"="127.0.0.1:9050"
"nSocksVersion"=dword:00000005
"fMinimizeToTray"="true"
"fMinimizeOnClose"="true"
"language"="en"
"nDisplayUnit"=dword:00000000
"bDisplayAddresses"="true"
"fRestartRequired"="false"
"fCoinControlFeatures"="false"
"bSpendZeroConfChange"="true"
"nDatabaseCache"=hex(b):64,00,00,00,00,00,00,00
"nThreadsScriptVerif"=dword:00000000
"nRPCConsoleWindowPos"="@Point(591 338)"
"nRPCConsoleWindowSize"="@Size(968 621)"
"nHelpMessageDialogWindowPos"="@Point(560 400)"
"nHelpMessageDialogWindowSize"="@Size(800 400)"
"nOptionsDialogWindowPos"="@Point(680 400)"
"nOptionsDialogWindowSize"="@Size(560 400)"
"strDataDir"="E:\\bitcoin\\data"

I wonder why bitcoind doesn't check for the existence of the same registry key for consistency?
romang

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 04:06:55 PM

Better then sliced bread.

shortpocket

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 09:54:39 AM

Do you know where i can get help with copying wallet + datafiles to USB, maybe from terminal cus i cant find the bitcoin wallet folder. My wallet is installed on one ubuntu and cgminer on the other, as long as i use my wallet i cant use cgminer. My wallet is syncing right now and i have to use it asap, but it wont finish the next couple of days if it continues at the speed it's at now.
C. Bergmann

Activity: 803
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 11:59:43 AM

Hi there,

with bitcoin-qt I used -datadir in the .conf file to redirect the blockchain-sync in another directory. With 0.9.0 I want to add the -mintxfee option to reduce fee to 0.00001.

But with the new version it doesn't work and I have to build a .bat file to start bitcoin core automatically with this options. Can somebody help?

▄▄████▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄▄█████▀▀    ▀▀█████▄▄
▄█████▀▀            ▀▀█████▄
▄███▀       ▄████▄       ▀███▄
███      ▄██████████▄      ███
███    ▄██████████████▄    ███
███    ████████████████    ███
███    ▀██████████████▀    ███
███      ▀██████████▀      ███
▀███▄       ▀████▀       ▄███▀
▀█████▄▄            ▄▄█████▀
▀▀█████▄▄    ▄▄█████▀▀
▀████████████▀
▀▀████▀▀
Gabro███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
WHITEPAPER
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
TOKEN SALES
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
wumpus

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 01:35:22 PM

When the bitcoin core client is launched on a windows machine with no established data directory, it will prompt the user for the location of a data directory.  Where is this value set?  Nothing is set in the bitcoin.conf. Registry?  Magic?

I like the feature I just don't like not knowing how it works. Smiley

Also bitcoind doesn't seem to use the same "data directory" discovery.  I have to add a datadir line to the config and point bitcoind to the config file to ensure it uses the same directory.

Looks like it might write it to the registry?
It uses QSettings, which indeed uses the registry on Windows.

I wonder why bitcoind doesn't check for the existence of the same registry key for consistency?
Because QSettings is a Qt-only feature. Bitcoind cannot do anything with the registry at all, it doesn't link to Qt.

with bitcoin-qt I used -datadir in the .conf file to redirect the blockchain-sync in another directory. With 0.9.0 I want to add the -mintxfee option to reduce fee to 0.00001.

But with the new version it doesn't work and I have to build a .bat file to start bitcoin core automatically with this options. Can somebody help?
This is currently broken (should be fixed in next release).

You can start bitcoin-qt with -choosedatadir to choose a new data directory. Don't forget to move the bitcoin.conf with custom settings to there as well.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 02:38:22 PM

Thanks for the update guys.

Can anyone explain the thinking with new receive tab? I much prefer just generating a new address and then maybe adding a label. With the new tab you request a payment and that generates an address, the only way to distinguish between addresses is by an almost compulsory label (due to not seeing the address itself) why the change?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 05:09:35 PM

It uses QSettings, which indeed uses the registry on Windows.

Thanks for the confirmation.  In future versions shouldn't the Keys be under Bitcoin-core not Bitcoin-Qt for consistency?

Because QSettings is a Qt-only feature. Bitcoind cannot do anything with the registry at all, it doesn't link to Qt.

Good to know.  

I wonder though if this could be refactored to provide a more consistent behavior between the two clients.  For non-windows specific options wouldn't it make more sense to just write those to the bitcoin.conf.  The GUI client already reads the conf file for the presence of these options.

As an example, setting the pay tx fee option in the bitcoin-core to 0.1 mBTC GUI client adds nTransactionFee key to the registry however if the same user now starts up bitcoind it will use the default fee (0) because there is no entry in the bitcoin.conf.  Since an RPC call can be made against either bitcoind or bitcoin-core (w/server=1 option) the outcome of an RPC call will depend on where it is made.  Likewise if a fee of 0.2 mBTC is indicated in the bitcoin.conf then the client will still display 0.1 mBTC however the actual fee paid will be 0.2 mBTC.  The client does provide a warning that the setting has been overriden but this isn't exactly user friendly or intuitive.

Do you agree that keeping it DRY would be better?  Refactor bitcoin-core so that both bitcoind and bitcoin-core use the bitcoin.conf to store non client specific settings (i.e. data directory, tx fee, dbcache, proxy, etc).  The registry would only be used for client specific settings (location of windows, units to display, minimize handling, etc).

To be consistent that would also include the data directory however the registry can still be used indirectly by providing the location to the configuration file itself.
1) User launches bitcoin-core with no data directory created.
2) Wizard prompts user for location of data directory.
3) Create bitcoin.conf in directory is needed.
4) Set data directory in bitcoin.conf.
5) Add registry entry pointing to the bitcoin.conf

On startup the client would check for existance of "ConfigFile" registry key and if present load the bitcoin.conf to determine the data directory and other non-client specific settings.

Just something to think about to make the behavior of the GUI and deamon consistent.  The other option is to simply stop bundling the two and treat them like independent applications.
wumpus

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 10:17:29 AM

Can anyone explain the thinking with new receive tab? I much prefer just generating a new address and then maybe adding a label. With the new tab you request a payment and that generates an address, the only way to distinguish between addresses is by an almost compulsory label (due to not seeing the address itself) why the change?
Did it become any more difficult? You can (optionally) enter a label then click "Request payment". The new address is immediately shown in the window that appears. You can quickly copy the address with the "Copy address" button.

It is also still perfectly possible to create new addresses the old way in the receiving addresses window, if you insist on doing that.

Thanks for the confirmation.  In future versions shouldn't the Keys be under Bitcoin-core not Bitcoin-Qt for consistency?
Personally I think that's not worth the trouble of migrating. Though if you'd submit a pull request to do that and make sure that all the potential migration scenarios are covered, it would of course be accepted.

I wonder though if this could be refactored to provide a more consistent behavior between the two clients.  For non-windows specific options wouldn't it make more sense to just write those to the bitcoin.conf.  The GUI client already reads the conf file for the presence of these options.
Writing to the bitcoin.conf would be inconsistent from a user viewpoint.

It is a user-created configuration file and should only be touched by the user.
Rewriting it, or any other tricks, would lose comments and formatting (or you'd have to go through a lot of trouble to preserve them, but it's fighting windmills). You don't see other daemons like apache suddenly rewriting their configuration...

It would be an idea to generate an extra configuration file "bitcoin.conf.generated" which is read in addition to the main bitcoind.conf, but I'm not sure how that would help.

The extra step registry -> generated config file -> bitcoind could introduce bugs.

I do just realize that when the wallet is split off to a seperate executable (ie SPV mode), and we want to run a bitcoind in the background, we will have to do something with generated config files.

dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 10:32:09 AM

Did it become any more difficult? You can (optionally) enter a label then click "Request payment". The new address is immediately shown in the window that appears. You can quickly copy the address with the "Copy address" button.

It is also still perfectly possible to create new addresses the old way in the receiving addresses window, if you insist on doing that.

Thanks for replying. My point was not about difficulty it was about the thinking behind the change, yes the label is optional but there is no way to quickly distinguish between addresses (without clicking them) without a label.

There isn't, as far as I can see, a way to do it the old way? I would consider the old way creating an address and then having those listed in the receiving tab with the address visible. From what I can see with the new release there is no way to have the address visible and thus my question.
awesomeami

Activity: 98

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 10:20:40 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=562388.new#new
0.9.1 already released
update ASAP pls - just for sure

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]  All
  Print  

Jump to: