Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:42:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How much of a bitcoin believer are you?
200%:  this stuff is going to change the world! - 40 (21.6%)
Totally convinced, it's the best digital currency at present time. - 38 (20.5%)
I have my doubts, but globally I think it worths a shot - 101 (54.6%)
Nah I don't really believe it will ever become real, but it's fun - 5 (2.7%)
It's a joke, but some suckers pay for it, so I mine bitcoins and sell them for real money - 1 (0.5%)
Total Voters: 185

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: your confidence in bitcoin  (Read 5183 times)
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 08:40:51 AM

Voted "I have my doubts, but globally I think it worths a shot" but I'm pretty sure that "it's the best digital currency at present time".

Then why did you vote for the former?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fetokun

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Presale is live!

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 08:43:21 AM

Because I have my doubts since bitcoin's success is not depending solely on being the best digital currency.

TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 11:08:27 PM

I might have overstated my confidence a tad with my vote, but Bitcoin kinda works like the placebo effect, the more you believe in it the more it  actually works, so i'll keep my positive thinking.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Distribution

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
April 19, 2011, 11:17:46 PM

I might have overstated my confidence a tad with my vote, but Bitcoin kinda works like the placebo effect, the more you believe in it the more it works, so i'll keep my positive thinking.

Kind of like Federal Reserve notes. I'm pretty happy with what I've been able to do with it so far, now I'm just saving up to buy Atlas's dog.
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 08:49:24 PM

up for newbies

RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 11:47:08 PM

Well... I'm a newb, and I voted "I have my doubts", But I also have done the F@H thing, and at least this potentially pays out for the work done, and wear/tear on my hardware.

phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2011, 12:31:11 AM
Last edit: May 28, 2011, 05:48:47 AM by phillipsjk

None of the poll options really express how I feel about bitcoin. I feel it will become very successful, then fail in the medium term. Converting all of my USD (I live in Canada) to bitcoin is about all I want to do with it at the moment. I would not be comfortable keeping my retirement savings in Bitcions.

IMO, BitCoin will fail under the following conditions:
  • Wide-spread computer compromise; making wallets non-secret.
  • Severe government repression.
  • The latency limitations of the protocol become a problem.

I have reason to believe that all 3 may happen in my lifetime.

• Most computers are made in one country (China) and include chips from one company (Intel). Computers are now so complex that nobody knows them from top-to-bottom. The only way to get secure computers is to either simplify the design or prove each  abstraction layer correct. The latter will take about 6 generations.
  • We have already seen this with attempts to curb copyright infringement. Domains have been seized, Europe and Australia are working to set up their own firewall modeled loosely on China's great firewall. If you read the Terms Of Service for your residential Internet connection, you will see you actually only get half an Internet connection. Though, as things stabilize, only about 2192 52596 hosts entities will be mining and processing transactions anyway (expect transaction fees when this happens).
  • Severely isolated groups of people can not process transactions. Similarly, these groups can not check with the network to prevent double-spending. The TCP time-out is about 2 minutes. As long as the protocol relies on IRC, your latency must be lower than 2 minutes (round trip time). This means that any Mars colony can not use Bitcoin. Down here on Earth, it means that the protocol can not take advantage of couriers moving data across borders. Only wallets can move across borders using a physical medium.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Basiley

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 01:22:18 AM

nice idea, but insecure, by EC-usage.
not so much computing resources saved, but timing and mathematically questionable security of EC- signatures/cipher.
grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 01:24:59 AM

not so much computing resources saved, but timing and mathematically questionable security of EC- signatures/cipher.

What? Is ECDSA weak?

Basiley

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 01:55:50 AM

What? Is ECDSA weak?
we're talking in "faith" -related topic.
so, yes, i had NO faith in ECDSA and rest EC-related things. Absolutely.
talking about scientists opinion , prognosis and field practice impact, read crypto papers/newpapers/etc.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2011, 01:57:45 AM

Lol, how are you going to do a timing attack?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
frozen

Activity: 196

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 02:00:06 AM

Faith is a rejection of reason and evidence. Bitcoin as money is logically sound, and the evidence so far suggests it will succeed.

These are not guarantees, but so far I haven't seen anything to suggest that it will fail. Unlike fiat currency which is backed by the violence of the government, bitcoin is backed by the cooperative competition of the internet.

Basiley

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 02:13:51 AM

Lol, how are you going to do a timing attack?
why you limit patterns of attack to "timing attack"-approach?
EC cause mathematical concerns about safety at least.
and talking about exploiting of implementations, timing attack isn't only one.

Faith is a rejection of reason and evidence. Bitcoin as money is logically sound, and the evidence so far suggests it will succeed.

These are not guarantees, but so far I haven't seen anything to suggest that it will fail. Unlike fiat currency which is backed by the violence of the government, bitcoin is backed by the cooperative competition of the internet.
"so far" isn't enough in that case.
actually, talking about money[of ANY kind]/valuables is SERIOUS business. usually.
"i haven't seen it !!" (c) from carhit pedestrian explanation.
note: 90% of security activity is not dealing with problems, but eleminating them BEFORE they outbreak into catastrophe !
ie, evading crisis is best way to deal with it as best way to win war is w/o right war.
liberty

Activity: 16

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 02:16:22 AM

What this poll tells us is that no one would get out of the game.
frozen

Activity: 196

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 03:10:37 AM

"so far" isn't enough in that case.
actually, talking about money[of ANY kind]/valuables is SERIOUS business. usually.
"i haven't seen it !!" (c) from carhit pedestrian explanation.
note: 90% of security activity is not dealing with problems, but eleminating them BEFORE they outbreak into catastrophe !
ie, evading crisis is best way to deal with it as best way to win war is w/o right war.

Evidence that doesn't exist is irrelevant. "So far" acknowledges the uncertainty, the potential, that evidence might surface to change my mind and declare bitcoin a failure. This has not happened. With that said, I am not selling any of my gold or silver holdings in exchange for btc.

Sure - it would be nice if reward or success of any new venture could be guaranteed and thus the risk eliminated. You need to decide for yourself what your risk tolerance is. If you think you can walk on the sidewalk without getting hit by a car, then by all means. But if you're worried about the car, then do what you need to do to mitigate that risk. If you're walking on the sidewalk, you are probably not concerned about getting hit by an airplane, even though it has a probability > 0.

If the risk of the plane or the car are too much for you, get off the sidewalk.

grondilu (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 03:40:29 AM

The word "faith" seems way more connoted than I thought.  So I replaced it with "confidence".

Frozenlock

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 03:45:43 AM

Almost same characteristics as gold.
In addition:
-You can have backup. (Good luck finding a lost gold coin)
-It's waaaaaay more easy to make a transaction with anyone on the planet

This thing will change the world!  Tongue
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2011, 04:04:56 AM

If you could buy lottery tickets for a penny, how many would you buy?
if something has a 1% chance at returning 10,000 times your bet, is it a good bet? Hell yeah it is!!!!

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2011, 04:07:19 AM

if you could buy lottery tickets for a penny, how many would you buy?
If you had a 1% chance at winning 10,000 times your bet, is it a good bet?
Hell yeah, it is!

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: