Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 09:53:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A game that educates people about Bitcoin  (Read 1145 times)
Reid

Activity: 2884
Merit: 642

View Profile
February 23, 2020, 02:22:05 PM

A game that would teach others about BTC is a good idea but the difficulty would be sharing it with the people that need it most.

People on Herr already know about BTC at some extend so that hardest part of the project is reaching the right audience and getting them to play the game?

How do you suggest or how do you plan on doing this?

Marketing is always a challenge.

My plan is to spread the word amongst people who know about bitcoin and want to help their friends and family understand bitcoin a little bit.

That is why feedback and game testing from people who know about a bitcoin, for example the people here, is important part of my development plans.

As a fallback, I plan to approach bitcoin exchanges and sell them the idea of making the game available to their users or use the game as a tool for acquiring new users.

The fallback plan is really a plan to use in case everything else fails. I would love to see the community finding the tool/app/game I am developing to be a useful thing.

It might really work. I can see you are really into it.
You could post some links here next time or maybe an announcement if the game is in beta test.
Some of us could try it and could also help see any errors if there will be.
Like bugs, or something which had been forgotten to be fixed.

I really hope next time we will be seeing your project here first.  Grin Good luck!
jhonjhon

Activity: 1316
Merit: 126

View Profile
February 23, 2020, 02:56:12 PM

I don't think games are a good tool for educating adults about new concepts, they are time-consuming and distracting. You could use them to teach kids, but why would you want to teach kids about Bitcoin in the first place, it's not like they will be using it till they grow up.

Adults play games to relax and have fun, and educational games generally have poor gameplay, so I can't imagine such game being popular.

I disagree, I think it us a good idea to create a game that educates people about cryptocurrency because games can be fun and while having fun you can also learn something. For those who have not known bitcoin may find it boring to read and study bitcoin but if it's a game then it will be fun.
mr_kenshy

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2020, 03:12:08 PM

This is a good idea! But why would an ordinary person want to install this app? Especially if this person believes that fiat money is better than cryptocurrency.
Baby Dragon

Activity: 896
Merit: 272

OWNR - Store all crypto in one app.

View Profile
February 23, 2020, 03:51:34 PM

I don't think games are a good tool for educating adults about new concepts, they are time-consuming and distracting. You could use them to teach kids, but why would you want to teach kids about Bitcoin in the first place, it's not like they will be using it till they grow up.

Adults play games to relax and have fun, and educational games generally have poor gameplay, so I can't imagine such game being popular.

I disagree, I think it us a good idea to create a game that educates people about cryptocurrency because games can be fun and while having fun you can also learn something. For those who have not known bitcoin may find it boring to read and study bitcoin but if it's a game then it will be fun.
A game that can be challenging yet entertaining and full of knowledge is a great idea to enlighten people with regards to bitcoin. It depends on what kind of game, there's a difference between a game for kids and adults. They will surely find it boring if it doesn't suit their preferences but it will be great for people who are into games. People have various of ways to learn things, it is usually reading books and articles. A game as a tool for learning is kind of unique and it seems possible to work because people these days are into online games for the reason that it is enjoyable and it enhance your skills development.

BUY CRYPTO AT REASONABLE RATES
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
████        ▀████
███████  ███  █████
███████      ▀█████
███████  ███  █████
████        ▄████
▀█████▄█▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▄
██████▀   ▀██████
██████▀     ▀██████
█████▀       ▀█████
█████▀▀▄▄ ▄▄▀▀█████
█████▄  ▀  ▄█████
▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀█████▄
██████   ▐███████
██████▌   ▀▀███████
█████▀    ▄████████
████▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀████
███▌         ▄███
▀█████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
&OTHER
COINS
Partner of             
BITFINEX
julius caesar

Activity: 644
Merit: 127

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
February 23, 2020, 03:56:51 PM

Games is a good way to educate other people. They are having fun while learning how bitcoin really works. They would fully understand what bitcoin can do if they are enjoying studying about it. Plain text information is much more boring than playing a game while learning so, I do not think that this one is a bad idea at all.

ekans45

Activity: 229
Merit: 108

View Profile
February 23, 2020, 04:23:46 PM

Hi all,

I recently started working on an educational game that informs the player about some of the important concepts about bitcoin and am looking for some feedback.

The target player is not an engineer or an economist, but a person on the street that still believes fiat is good and that we are fine with money controlled by the state.

The game is designed as a series of conversations between two people, one asks questions and the other responds. The responses almost always include a mini game where the player solves a simple task to understand the concept.

For example, the first game is a simple "scratch the screen" game to reveal the bitcoin emission schedule.

Here's a list topics for which I am currently developing mini games:

• Inflation hedge. Digital Gold.
  • How to pay using Bitcoin. No need for Credit Cards or banks.
  • How payments work - mining intro.
  • Double spending is almost impossible.
  • Censorship resistance.
  • Fleeing a war zone with bitcoin.
  • Keeping it safe. Secret sharing.
  • Purity of bitcoin vis a vis gold purity tests.
  • Address the fear of losing coins.
  • Anonymity and privacy.
  • No banks or state or single miner or developer regulates Bitcoin. Essentially, "no one" regulates Bitcoin.

Would love to get any input on the list if topics. Is there something I am missing as the first introduction to someone new to bitcoin? Is there something I should take out?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

I think it is important first to atleast introduce the basic of crypto like what was its difference to fiat or what does blockchain mean because it was the first thing that they will encounter as they enter the crypto space. Also, they should be also aware with the risk that they can get as they engage with crypto investment.
serjent05
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1255

View Profile
February 23, 2020, 05:16:31 PM

I think this depends on how the game was developed.  Educating someone using a game does not necessarily mean a straight-up tutorial.   The game developer can incorporate important facts into the storyline of the game. 

For example, in an RPG game, a developer can make a quest about the importance of protecting passwords and private keys in cryptocurrency, or a Visual Novel with a good storyline will do.  It all depends on how creative the game developer will be and how he can make learning crypto interesting while playing his game.

dunfida
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1132

View Profile
February 23, 2020, 05:25:20 PM

I think this depends on how the game was developed.  Educating someone using a game does not necessarily mean a straight-up tutorial.   The game developer can incorporate important facts into the storyline of the game. 

For example, in an RPG game, a developer can make a quest about the importance of protecting passwords and private keys in cryptocurrency, or a Visual Novel with a good storyline will do.  It all depends on how creative the game developer will be and how he can make learning crypto interesting while playing his game.

It all matters on how its been delivered because if it cant able to hook up adult players attention then this game will mostly fail.
So it will really vary on overall concept.I actually have same inputs on how this thing should really be done and telling to be effective
once its launched.

Games is a considerable move but honestly speaking there are other alternative and much better options to this one.

jungly (OP)

Merit: 5

View Profile
February 23, 2020, 07:32:14 PM

This is a good idea! But why would an ordinary person want to install this app? Especially if this person believes that fiat money is better than cryptocurrency.

I agree with you, installing apps is a big friction point.

That is why I am undecided if I should deliver it as a mobile app or a in browser experience. I am using unity2d and for now working hard to support both mobile and mouse/keyboard inputs.
retnoanjani

Activity: 630
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2020, 07:56:44 PM

I must say that inclining gaming experience to the pursuit of Bitcoin is an innovative idea. Through integrating Bitcoin to what people love doing, gaming, their awareness of it could increased. However, it could possibly raise awareness and pique one's interest but it would be a challenge to give them the overview of the wholeness of the concept of Bitcoin. But nonetheless, this idea is creative and if developed accordingly, it would be a lot level of educating and spreading the word about Bitcoin.
You are right. The game is fun and an alternative to help get tired and tired. If the game can be used as a way to earn money through cryptocurrency it will definitely be more interesting. Doing fun and making a profit too, it's double fun.
I also agree that the game is a good medium for introducing bitcoin, hopefully, more and more people are aware that bitcoin can be used as an alternative to adding revenue.

millionaireshs

Activity: 353
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 23, 2020, 10:29:30 PM

This was a great way to generate mass adoption but we camnot say how many people will use this app. Maybe if this was successfully made it can generate adoption but I think it is not enough to make the bitcoin ecosystem become bullish. What we need is mass adoption which we can get if we get total support of people worldwide to apply to their everyday life.
serjent05
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1255

View Profile
February 24, 2020, 11:38:38 AM

Games is a considerable move but honestly speaking there are other alternative and much better options to this one.

100% agree with you.  Implementing the Bitcoin tutorial in the game without the game getting boring is a challenging task for developers but if they are very successful in this it will deliver a greater impact than those alternatives that suppose to be a better option in advertising Bitcoin.
bearexin

Activity: 1162
Merit: 168

View Profile
February 24, 2020, 08:03:44 PM

That is very good, I would have recommended that you add a means for them to be earning bitcoins as a reward for completing every stage, but unfortunately that would be similar to what you earn from faucets so it won’t really make any sense.

I have seen quite a few Bitcoin games and the amount they pay doesn’t make any sense to me, it’s just like they faucets rebuilt faucets as games and those little cents are not worth the stress. You can still add it though just to say thanks to them for learning about cryptocurrency using your platform.
Baoo

Activity: 854
Merit: 115

View Profile
February 24, 2020, 08:46:13 PM

To be honest, I liked the concept of this educational game, it is really important to teach people especially the children through some easy ways like, games..ect. In addition to that, I did notice lately that Bitcoin's community needs to know more about this domain specifically  the newbies.
Plus, maybe you will get some negative thoughts or opinions from the other members and that's a normally fact, we are all different, you need to accept all the opinions even the worst ones and then try to improve your self and idea .
Good luck and keep going forward.
casperBGD
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1151

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2020, 09:05:11 PM

I don't agree with you. Games are one of the most powerful ways to actually conceptualize new things. I believe there were few studies made that proven that learning gamification is better than just scanning through some text or listen to lectures.

Also why do we need to stop playing games if we're adults?

i agree, we should teach our kids on BTC basics, if everything goes as expected, it will be the currency and investment tool which they will use as adults, it is good to teach them while they are little for the future...
camito

Activity: 301
Merit: 3

DAEFROM.com

View Profile
February 25, 2020, 03:42:50 AM

Hi all,

I recently started working on an educational game that informs the player about some of the important concepts about bitcoin and am looking for some feedback.

The target player is not an engineer or an economist, but a person on the street that still believes fiat is good and that we are fine with money controlled by the state.

The game is designed as a series of conversations between two people, one asks questions and the other responds. The responses almost always include a mini game where the player solves a simple task to understand the concept.

For example, the first game is a simple "scratch the screen" game to reveal the bitcoin emission schedule.

Here's a list topics for which I am currently developing mini games:

• Inflation hedge. Digital Gold.
  • How to pay using Bitcoin. No need for Credit Cards or banks.
  • How payments work - mining intro.
  • Double spending is almost impossible.
  • Censorship resistance.
  • Fleeing a war zone with bitcoin.
  • Keeping it safe. Secret sharing.
  • Purity of bitcoin vis a vis gold purity tests.
  • Address the fear of losing coins.
  • Anonymity and privacy.
  • No banks or state or single miner or developer regulates Bitcoin. Essentially, "no one" regulates Bitcoin.

Would love to get any input on the list if topics. Is there something I am missing as the first introduction to someone new to bitcoin? Is there something I should take out?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

The idea of creating something to promote the use of bitcoin is a good one. Games have been a part of the life of people and has earned its reputation economically, emotionally, and psychologically. If we are to target these three important points that involve people, especially those who aren't familiar of bitcoin, then it could actually reveal good results.

However, it should also be noted that before putting the game into action, there are lots of factors to be considered first such as: the game's success, promotion, graphics, good game concept, testing, sharing of achievements, negative reviews, retaining user's attention, and clones. Some factors can be solved and taken into account easily, but, for instance, retaining user's attention could be a little bit hard.

We live in a world where technology and the appearance of world-class games is inevitable. I also think that the target audience must be considered because if you are to develop a game that only involves jobless men or someone who isn't happy with what he is earning, then I think you will need more of them. This will surely take a long, long time.

───[  DAEFROM  ]───
─────────────[  Stable PoW Platform Based On Ethash Protocol With Its Own Features ]─────────────
───[  DAEFROM.COM  ]──
verita1

Activity: 1358
Merit: 81

View Profile
February 25, 2020, 04:51:54 AM

Great idea! A mini-game is ideal for an objective between 18 years and over. Because there are certain warnings about the use of Bitcoin that are clearly understandable.

It can be fun if users have challenges and missions where they can earn rewards and points. Also, with the points earned they can become satoshi, it would be an advantage.

Gumpfire

Activity: 378
Merit: 111

View Profile
February 25, 2020, 05:03:57 AM

Too negative. Why do we play games? To relax and have fun, right? It is as what you have said. That's why we are putting something on games, not only for fun, but also for education. Games are very effective when we want people to experience and understand something. Because it requires simulation, cooperation of the player, and in that way, not only they have engaged themselves in the game, they also learned something from bitcoin.

If we will not do something to spread bitcoin, then there will be no way it will be used by many people.
jungly (OP)

Merit: 5

View Profile
February 25, 2020, 09:03:07 AM
Merited by TimeTeller (1)

I like the idea,but building a game from scratch isn't easy at all.
If the game isn't entertaining enough,nobody would bother playing (even if it's really informative).
A game with asking and answering questions seems really boring.Kids and teenagers simply won't be interested into such game. Do you have any concepts about the game design?
Will you outsource this to a game developer?Do you have a budget?How do you plan to fund this project?

I am self funding this for now. I am a developer, and have picked up Unity2D just for this project.

I am commissioning an artist to provide artwork. I do think the getting the artwork right will be key.

Self funding for now. I am hoping to get the first few missions out and then look for some donations to continue to the advanced levels.

peter0425

Activity: 2660
Merit: 446

View Profile
February 25, 2020, 11:53:31 AM

i love gaming and this is one of my past time,i even spend regular time so why not with this one?consider me as one that will try this.

I am self funding this for now. I am a developer, and have picked up Unity2D just for this project.

I am commissioning an artist to provide artwork. I do think the getting the artwork right will be key.
nice initiative mate ,just continue your doings because seems like you are heading for the goodness of crypto specially Bitcoin.
Self funding for now. I am hoping to get the first few missions out and then look for some donations to continue to the advanced levels.

of course there might be help coming from us if we find your project worth donating.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀