Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:54:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Huawei without Google  (Read 1200 times)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2020, 11:45:28 AM

I don't install any social media apps, and I have disabled play services. My phone is not a play thing. Smiley
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2020, 10:33:22 PM

Never been fan of Huawei, but they were turning into serious competitor for Samsung and Apple. They were offering quite good phones for low price. But now, without Google services it looks like half-working product. Yes, Huawei are making their own AppGallery, but it reminds me story of WindowsPhone and how they failed. You simply won't find so many apps that you need. And I think it's not likely that majority of apps that you can find on Google Play will be ever uploaded there.
So, I don't any reasons to buy Huawei when I simply can buy fully working Android phone. Well, unless you're hardcore Huawei fan, but you have to be ready for lot of inconvenience while using this phone.
And none of Android phones is good in terms of privacy. If you really concerned about it, it would best to use old Nokia phone.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2020, 08:37:58 AM

I'm not bothered about privacy, but I am annoyed by useless apps being installed, and using up resources and bandwidth. I must be pretty boring because I  don't want to listen to music on the phone, or send pictures of my tonsils or other body parts to people, or use any of the other gimmicky apps that seem to try to install themselves.
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2020, 10:42:45 AM

I'm not bothered about privacy, but I am annoyed by useless apps being installed, and using up resources and bandwidth. I must be pretty boring because I  don't want to listen to music on the phone, or send pictures of my tonsils or other body parts to people, or use any of the other gimmicky apps that seem to try to install themselves.
I also don't like when phone is full of pre-installed apps, especially these which aren't needed for me. Rooting your phone helps in such cases, but downside of it that you loose warranty.
I like Android One series phones because basically, it's clean Android without bloatware and just some pre-installed Google apps.
geyayy

Activity: 588
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 13, 2020, 01:19:46 PM

I also don't like when phone is full of pre-installed apps, especially these which aren't needed for me. Rooting your phone helps in such cases, but downside of it that you loose warranty.
I like Android One series phones because basically, it's clean Android without bloatware and just some pre-installed Google apps.
Me, too, is also annoyed by the pre-installed applications from google, but as a Huawei phone user, I find it incomplete without using Google Playstore. Having it is more convenient, however other preinstalled applications takes so much space in my phone, I don't even use it. It takes so much memory and it can't be uninstalled.
superving

Activity: 938
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 13, 2020, 11:05:37 PM

I like huawie because of its camera and storage even it doesnt have google playstore, but soon all the games on playstore will be available on thier app gallery
Lucius
Legendary

Activity: 3234
Merit: 5637

Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2020, 12:43:31 PM

...however other preinstalled applications takes so much space in my phone, I don't even use it. It takes so much memory and it can't be uninstalled.

Are you sure about all preinstalled apps can't be uninstalled? Some can certainly be removed without rooting your phone, you just need to follow few simple steps. For me, they are not a problem because I have 128 GB of space and 6 GB of RAM in my Huawei, which is more than enough for one smartphone.

https://www.androidguys.com/tips-tools/remove-pre-installed-apps-android/

...but soon all the games on playstore will be available on thier app gallery

Not only that, Huawei is very close to launching its Harmony OS on smartphones which will definitely be a turning point in their business. Unfortunately Huawei is facing a loss of chips and display panels for their devices, so their future production will be quite difficult. Given the influence that the USA has in the world, if Huawei wants to survive, it will have to produce all the necessary components in China. But even that may not be enough, because I believe that the attacks on this company will go so far that some countries under pressure will be forced to ban the sale of their devices.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2020, 01:33:27 PM

I've been looking at Google free Huawei phones, but the latest models don't seem to have WiFi. This surprises me if it is true.
Lucius
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2020, 01:43:35 PM
Merited by Jet Cash (2)

I've been looking at Google free Huawei phones, but the latest models don't seem to have WiFi. This surprises me if it is true.

Impossible, what kind of smartphone would it be without WiFi? Look at all the available models here : https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei-phones-58.php , and you will see under Comms that each phone has listed something like this -> "WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot"
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2020, 02:53:32 PM

That's what I thought, but I was looking on Amazon, and they didn't mention WiFi or bluetooth.
JeromeTash
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1210

Heisenberg

View Profile
September 15, 2020, 07:21:02 PM

Me, too, is also annoyed by the pre-installed applications from google, but as a Huawei phone user, I find it incomplete without using Google Playstore.
It's because you are too used to Google playstore and nothing else. I have already familiarized myself with Huawei's App gallery on my phone as i am looking forward to getting another one of their phones and most of the popular apps are in there

There are a couple of popular third party android app stores I know about such as APKpure, and they always keep them updated. Whatever app you might fail to get in Huawei AppGallery, you can easily get it from 3rd party app stores.

Lucius
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2020, 02:29:25 PM

That's what I thought, but I was looking on Amazon, and they didn't mention WiFi or bluetooth.

I don't use Amazon, so I'm not familiar with how the products are presented there, but obviously someone thinks that such things are taken for granted - because who would buy a smartphone without WiFi or Bluetooth. However, there may be a small group of people who would be interested in such devices in order to use them as airgapped devices for cold wallets, which would mean that without WiFi, Bluetooth and SIM card such smartphones would not be able to communicate wirelessly with Internet.
UserU

Activity: 2030
Merit: 531

FREE passive income eBook @ tinyurl.com/PIA10

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2020, 03:01:33 PM

Do you have a link to any of those products? I'll go take a look.
Lucius
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2020, 09:50:08 AM

Do you have a link to any of those products? I'll go take a look.

Search engine + keywords Amazon+Huawei smartphones = https://www.amazon.com/Huawei-Phones/s?k=Huawei+Phones
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2020, 10:05:02 AM

I'm hoping that their new OS will arrive before thery run out of chips. Smiley

It's such a large well funded company, that I suspect they will be able to find an alternative source of chips, and that will be another massive  market lost to the US.
fourpiece

Activity: 821
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 17, 2020, 12:46:39 PM

Really,? This is my first time to hear a phone that dont have wifi cause all phones today are with wifi. What model is that? Maybe its a phone from 2005.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2020, 01:37:50 PM

It looks as if it does have WiFi and bluetooth, and it's Amazon that didn't bother to mention it.

I think some devices are starting to think about remote access. I've just bought a wild life camera that doesn't have bluetooth, and the WiFi has a remote switch. The switch looks like a watch with a couple of buttons instead of a face. I suspect this is to avoid people sensing the camera as they walk past with connectivity scanning enabled.
Lucius
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2020, 11:04:19 AM

I'm hoping that their new OS will arrive before thery run out of chips. Smiley

Harmony OS will be available on some smart TVs and smartwatches this year, and it should only appear on Huawei smartphones next year. The company has already announced that it will be possible to make a free upgrade from Android to Harmony OS for most new phones that will have EMUI 11. Personally, I don’t worry that Huawei won’t find an alternative to the chips as well as all the other components.

What do you think of their latest GT2 PRO smartwatch? I really like the really high quality workmanship and materials like titanium, ceramics and sapphire glass +200 watch faces Smiley

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/wearables/watch-gt2-pro/
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2020, 12:29:59 PM

I think a smartphone is about as small as I want to go. I'm most interested in setting up a mobile coms centre in my van, and I'm going to try open Suse as an alternative to Ubuntu and Mint.
CryptocurencyKing

Activity: 1288
Merit: 504

View Profile
October 15, 2020, 10:01:49 AM

^ Pretty much this. It depends on who you want to be spied by, either by China or the US.

Basically data is the current gold mine now. You want convenience, that comes at the expense of security. There's no in-between.
Data is pretty much the current gold mine and it's been exploited by authorities and those with the know how for several reasons. Google is one of the most fundamentals for every internet accessing technological device and most persons can hardly do without it. It's like the basic needs of life as we were taught in elementary school (food, water and shelter), that's the position google occupies and this have raised the vulnerability of a lot of users as most persons just use packages without knowing anything of it's development and node enter phase which could be used in spying on users. It feels unfair that these things are done but, you can't really escape it except you develope your own package. Perhaps, we've just got to live with it or use VPN to by pass them to some extent, you never can be completely out.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: