Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:25:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: madnessteat  (Read 1016 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (5 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2020, 08:57:58 PM

I'll follow your exclusion list (among many other individuals) closely relating to these recent events, and let's see if uniformity is going to hold up on what is uncalled for and how it gets handled.

My exclusion list hasn't changed because of this nor is it expected to. Not everything that happens on this forum requires an exclusion or red trust. Sometimes just saying "it's a dick move" is enough.
nullius
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 2610

If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2020, 09:05:28 PM
Merited by Lauda (1)

Lauda is superlatively trustworthy with confidential information which she has promised to keep as such.  I say this based on my substantial experience with her handling of confidential information.  For obvious reasons, I cannot publicly disclose evidence of that experience; nevertheless, I will personally vouch that I would trust her with almost anything.

However, that is irrelevant to her publication of (0) unsolicited, hostile contacts that, separately and additionally, were (1) made via a communications medium that explicitly bears no expectation of privacy.

Was it really necessary to post private discussions on public?

PMs are not private—explicitly not “private” messages.  On this forum, neither rules nor custom prohibit their publication.

Subject: Re: Publicly posting PMs
There is no restriction against it. PM = Personal Message, not Private Message.

Compare "private interview" to "personal interview" or "private locker" to "personal locker". Something private isn't expected to be made public, but something personal is only owned by or associated with a single person, not necessarily with a strong guarantee of privacy.

For my part, I treat unencrypted PMs with the discretion of common courtesy.  Likewise, if someone were to publish my unencrypted PMs gratuitously, for petty spite, and/or otherwise without any good cause or even a colourable reason, then I would consider that to show indiscretion—i.e., evidence of an untrustworthy character; and depending on the particulars of the circumstance, on a case-by-case basis, I may issue negative feedback accordingly.  Otherwise, I have no illusions about the privacy of unencrypted Personal Messages:  I treat them as a sort of one-on-one forum, or an open-door room aside from the main room at a party.

Encrypted communications with explicit bilateral promises of confidentiality are a quite different matter, of course.

Yes. Any attempts, and I do not care by who, of even remote manipulation, coercion, threats and many other things instantly get posted by me.

That is sound “good cause”, per what I stated above.

Yet it doesn't provide any "evidence" so what was the point? Makes me think that the "secret evidence" in other cases, such as Kalemder's, is similarly flimsy to non-existent.

No, this is not a request to publish any more PMs, and not an excuse to blame others for your lapse in judgement.

There you go again.  FYI, I do not communicate with Lauda via unencrypted Personal Messages; and in re Kalemder, no matter what the substance of what I told her, she has no choice but to keep my confidence, unless she were to explicitly betray my trust in her promises.  Stop giving her grief for her more or less quiet refusal to do that!  Should you be in the mood to grind an axe on this issue, take it up with me—but please be advised that I am not so kind as Lauda is.

PSA: On personal communications in a panopticon

Aside from myself, the PMs can be read by the administrators, the datacenter technicians, Cloudflare, and the NSA. They are public as is anyways.

Vide the very first post in my post history!

I really don't believe in willingly putting a man-in-the-middle in your HTTPS like this, […]

The security implications are that Cloudflare can read everything you send to or receive from the server, including your cleartext password and any PMs you send or look at.

Thank you, theymos, for honestly disclosing and discussing the facts about Cloudflare.

Anybody who expects privacy from unencrypted Personal Messages is lamentably misguided.  Your unencrypted PMs can be read by many different parties without your knowledge.  By close analogy, are you so stupid as to expect privacy for your unencrypted Gmail, your Facebook messages, your bank records, your credit/debit card purchase records, your tax records, your gold purchases, your phone’s SMS texts and voice calls, your phone’s locational data (including cell tower data) that physically track you as the contemptibly dumb, contentedly grazing tagged livestock that you are, your Google search terms, your Twitter DMs, your Skype calls, anything you say or do in the presence of your “smart” TV, the forms that you happily fill out for advertising gimmicks from companies who want your name, address, and birthday for commercial Big Data purposes, etc., etc., ad maximam nauseam!?

*crickets*

Sorry.  So sorry.  Perhaps that was the wrong question, in the sense of hitting the mark on issues that are more comfortable to ignore:  An evil question.  Keep grazing, grinning idiots happy masses; let not my musings disturb your ovine contentment.  Cheers!  Please enjoy a refreshment from my sponsors, and remember to retweet!

AD SPACE FOR SALE.
$$$ YOUR LOGO HERE! €€€

Ahem...

Man and Technics

I believe nullius has a more optimistic view of the future than I do.  :)

“Optimism is cowardice.” — Spengler (writing most of a hundred years ago)

[...]

I don’t have a television... or a smartphone.

Quibbling about etiquette in the personal handling of unencrypted Personal Messages is not seeing the forest for the trees.  You are casually chatting in the presence of a telescreen, and then worrying about whether the other party to the conversation may tell others what you said.

Note: PM privacy is not guaranteed. Encrypt sensitive messages.

That was a tangent, but relevant to the absurdity of expectations of privacy for unencrypted Personal Messages.

I now return to the point:

Lauda’s publication of unsolicited contact seeking to persuade, then browbeat her into changing her trust list is not only justifiable, but a positive public service for the good of the forum.

The evidence as such speaks for itself; I needn’t write a thousand-word essay thereupon.

suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2020, 09:29:57 PM

Lauda’s publication of unsolicited contact seeking to persuade, then browbeat her into changing her trust list is not only justifiable, but a positive public service for the good of the forum.

The evidence as such speaks for itself; I needn’t write a thousand-word essay thereupon.

Browbeat? You used to know what words mean.

Sure it's not a "crime" here to publish a PM but doing so, especially for no real reason, sends a message (pun intended) about one's judgement and ethics.

Edit:

Quote from: Bitcoin Forum
A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by a Bitcoin Forum moderator. Posts are most frequently deleted because they are off-topic, though they can also be deleted for other reasons. In the future, please avoid posting things that need to be deleted.

I am dumping the whole PM conversation with madnessteat.

Classy.

LOL.
Lauda (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2020, 05:27:55 AM
Last edit: March 05, 2020, 06:14:37 AM by Lauda

I can see dumping an entire PM chain to defend oneself - I don't think a person would be guilty of a moral crime.
It is funny really. Had I played along, and one of Russians published MY PM chain (this very chain, just modified) it would be applauded for. This is why I criticize everyone left and right. Either apply uniformly or do not apply anything at all.

I'll follow your exclusion list (among many other individuals) closely relating to these recent events, and let's see if uniformity is going to hold up on what is uncalled for and how it gets handled.
My exclusion list hasn't changed because of this nor is it expected to. Not everything that happens on this forum requires an exclusion or red trust. Sometimes just saying "it's a dick move" is enough.
That is not what I meant. See here.

Thule   2020-03-04   Reference   Published PM without consent.
Known scammer and abuser .
I would not trust him a single Cent.
Big part of community got their BCH stolen by him as escrow
peloso   2020-03-04   Reference   Publication of personal messages without consent.
kzv   2020-03-04   Reference   Publication of personal messages without consent. User cannot be trusted
peloso   2020-03-03   Reference   Created a pseudo-religious cult to manipulate default trust list
Balthazar   2020-03-03   Reference   Archive reference for previous feedback
Balthazar   2020-03-03   Reference   Created a pseudo-religious cult to manipulate default trust list. If I remember correctly, this user was claiming that such activities are untrustworthy (see peloso user profile for details).

Quote from: Bitcoin Forum
A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by a Bitcoin Forum moderator. Posts are most frequently deleted because they are off-topic, though they can also be deleted for other reasons. In the future, please avoid posting things that need to be deleted.

I am dumping the whole PM conversation with madnessteat.

Classy.

LOL.
Maybe staff should refocus on deleting actual garbage by TECSHARE and others.  Cheesy

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
nullius
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 2610

If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2020, 06:09:22 AM

I can see dumping an entire PM chain to defend oneself - I don't think a person would be guilty of a moral crime.
It is funny really. Had I played along, and one of Russians published MY PM chain (this very chain, just modified) it would be applauded for. This is why I criticize everyone left and right. Either apply uniformly or do not apply anything at all.

Why, what an idea:  Actual objective standards!

On “Ethics and Judgment”

Sure it's not a "crime" here to publish a PM but doing so, especially for no real reason, sends a message (pun intended) about one's judgement and ethics.

suchmoon, yes, let’s talk about “ethics and judgment”.

To reach this point requires a delicate dance:

...is superlatively trustworthy... I will personally vouch...

Without saying too much, I will give the general outline:  It starts with a casual exchange of some PMs that, for my part, could cause me some extra headaches or minor embarrassment if revealed by the other party.  It then proceeds to encrypted communications, where perhaps I may begin to discuss matters that I would never mention in a Personal Message which is readily accessible to Cloudflare/NSA, forum admins and high-ranking staff, e-mail providers who my handle any e-mailed copies of PMs, the forum’s server providers, said e-mail providers’ server providers, any blackhats who can compromise the forum’s huge, creaky pile of PHP code...

:-/

This doesn’t mean that I chat about anything too “interesting” via encrypted communiations, with Lauda or otherwise; I am not involved in anything “too ‘interesting’”, anyway.  What it does mean is that I can talk about things that I simply refuse to broadcast before the unseen all-seeing eyes of numerous known and unknown persons.  To get to know someone’s character on a level where I would say, “I trust this person!”, it is necessary to be able to speak at least a little bit freely, in private.

(Obviously, it is best to start with encrypted communications; but for reasons that baffle me, applied cryptography is mostly unpopular on a “crypto” forum devoted to Satoshi’s cypherpunk money.)

I had high hopes for you, suchmoon.  But you never even got far enough with me that I felt I really needed to push the issue of using encryption.  Based on your public demands that Lauda violate my confidences and criticisms of her for her refusal to do so, such as you have even repeated in this thread, I would never trust you with confidential information.  So as for “ethics and judgment”.

And as for Lauda’s...

Browbeating a Dead Horse

Browbeat? You used to know what words mean.

Rather than direct attention to my use of the word “browbeat”, why don’t you give the class a lesson on reading comprehension.*  Ascertain the substance of the PMs that Lauda published, in-context and in the totality of the circumstances.  Then, for extra credit, make a short list of colloquial English words that would suitably describe this type of interrogation, argumentativeness, and accusations of “manipulations of other people's opinions” from a person who has previously done one of those “conspiracy theory” threads that you usually oh so dearly love.

(* Protip:  This sentence concludes with a period, because it is not actually interrogative:  It is a rhetorical question which pointedly omits the question mark.)

Indeed, in this case, the only evidence of your opinion is that at the time, you thought that madnessteat’s prior thread was frivolous:

Merited by suchmoon (4)
I do not see any reason for you to open a thread here why somebody included/excluded me/or I am in nobody list. Everybody have their personal preference to include or exclude.

PS: Just curios to know what was your prior contribution to this system before this new system is announced.

https://bpip.org/smerit.aspx?to=r1s2g3
1/27/2019 2:47:33 PMsuchmoon (Summary)r1s2g3 (Summary)4Re: Why did you add me to your DT0 with ~

Now, look at this from Lauda’s position:  Suppose that someone created a thread against you a year ago based on your trust list, and is now repeatedly PMing you about same and accusing you of doing something wrong with it.  Please describe that situation carefully:  If you approve of madnessteat’s behaviour, then your own critics may forseeably take that as an invitation.

Oops; I tried.  Well, I kept it under a thousand words.  Excluding quotations, etc., it amounts to less than a fifth of that!

suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2020, 12:49:37 AM

Not sure what you meant then. I'm excluding most of those users so should I unexclude or include them?

I had high hopes for you, suchmoon.

I'm sorry for disappointing you in whatever it is that you were hoping for.

Merited by suchmoon (4)

You might want to brush up on what the merit system is for before you make any more asinine cryptohuntery conclusions from that.

Now, look at this from Lauda’s position:  Suppose that someone created a thread against you a year ago based on your trust list, and is now repeatedly PMing you about same and accusing you of doing something wrong with it.  Please describe that situation carefully:  If you approve of madnessteat’s behaviour, then your own critics may forseeably take that as an invitation.

I get PMs about trust lists quite often, some more accusatory than others... it's a non-issue.
Lauda (OP)
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2020, 05:51:26 AM

Not sure what you meant then. I'm excluding most of those users so should I unexclude or include them?
Exclude all of them, or well don't - depending on whether you agree with their behaviour or not.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2020, 12:45:58 PM

Exclude all of them, or well don't - depending on whether you agree with their behaviour or not.

The only one in that group that I don't exclude is kzv, who coincidentally (or not) is the one person who asked for a public discussion on this subject and later revised his red trust to neutral.

As I said, no changes to my trust list are forthcoming as a result of this.
Lauda (OP)
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2020, 12:56:32 PM

The only one in that group that I don't exclude is kzv, who coincidentally (or not) is the one person who asked for a public discussion on this subject and later revised his red trust to neutral.

As I said, no changes to my trust list are forthcoming as a result of this.
Uniformity. Got it. Thanks.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2020, 02:10:12 PM

OMG LOL

Do I get a uniformity guild uniform to go with it?
Lauda (OP)
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2020, 07:00:59 AM

OMG LOL

Do I get a uniformity guild uniform to go with it?
If you act like it and want it, I do not see why not.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Lauda (OP)
Legendary

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2020, 09:40:46 AM

madnessteat is of course part of this trust abuse, by including one of the worst members possible into DT. This proves my claim even more and this is the ending post of this thread.

Peloso's off of DT1 now it seems.

😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: