Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 01:30:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox announce finding of 200,000 lost BTC!  (Read 30496 times)
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 10:34:09 AM

https://blockchain.info/en/address/15ihHoGs3onQBNnEH8afDFGvou9nD62Hm7

more gox coins
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:31:18 AM

If they are allowed to selling them would be smart, in a sliding market!

Might end up being worth more that way.
Aquent

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 01:31:37 PM

I do not know why everyone is blind and can not see.

MT Gox is lying, but not in a convincing way, it is lying in a way that the lie is obvious.

Gox is saying that they had only 2k left out of 850k total btc. Yet their internal records as leaked show they had a btc balance of 950k. So why lie about this point? Did gox think that no one is going to look at the books, or are these lies only for public consumption?

Gox has now been forced to admit that they own 200k. They are saying this in a way which is an obvious lie. They only realised a week ago that one of their wallets contained 200k btc, when everybody knew on the 28th of February that they had 200k btc.

If one tries to hide the truth, they make the lie believable. Who on earth would believe TM? No one.

MK is obviously under a gag order here. The coins were seized last summer, shortly after the fiat seizure. This lead to the drying of the hot wallet over a period of 4 months culminating on 7th of Feb. MK had to enter into bankruptcy protection, rather than bankruptcy, because the coins are only "temporarily unavailable". The coins have now been released, therefore MK is starting to find wallets that had coins in them but he had "forgotten" about them. In the next two or three weeks all of these coins will be found, the exchange re-opened, new managment team, coding, MK resigns, and a year or two down the line some official in some case against some sr vendor mentions in some sentence that the gox coins had been seized, but the whole thing would be history by then so no one cares.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 01:33:36 PM

Everyone look around your house! Look under the sofa and in your junk drawer, the rest of those coins must be here somewhere.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Eotnak

Activity: 117

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 01:45:58 PM

...And legal fees will eat up a lot of these coins!  Mtgox just keeps on Goxxing......

Maybe that's exactly why they were "found" in the first place.  Lawyers may have said, "Uhh...Mark, how are you paying for these services?"
sssubito

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 02:03:19 PM

they can't even go bankrupt properly.
THIS! Soo true...

The bar is pretty high in the sky for more mad excuses from Mt.Gox. Can't wait for the next silly story.

U.n.b.e.l.i.e.v.a.b.l.e
BitOnyx

Activity: 112

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 02:06:10 PM

Well apparently it were old wallets from before 2011 update. Sounds about right, maybe they find more coins as they would keep digging...

Money Raccoon

Activity: 67

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 02:21:52 PM

You said it
AT101ET (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1348

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 02:25:49 PM

Well apparently it were old wallets from before 2011 update. Sounds about right, maybe they find more coins as they would keep digging...

Nobody 'loses' almost $200 million (based on late 2013 rate).
If you have that much money, you'd know about it and you'd know where its kept.
Gox probably knew of its existence, but as with the rest of their wallets (which I'm sure will reappear soon) they'd lost the private keys.
Now that they've found them, the 'lost' coins are accessible and all of a sudden they've magically been 'found'.
With that many BTC in them, there's no way Gox didn't remember they existed.
Gotgoxed

Activity: 65

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 02:34:01 PM

not sure about that! why didn't they mention them today?
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 02:37:09 PM

Because their scam attempt failed. When we started talking about these potential 200k coins, suddenly they get found.  Roll Eyes

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
BitOnyx

Activity: 112

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 02:40:01 PM

IT should be payed in BTC, not in $.

Gotgoxed

Activity: 65

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 02:40:26 PM
Last edit: March 21, 2014, 04:06:11 PM by Gotgoxed

Because their scam attempt failed. When we started talking about these potential 200k coins, suddenly they get found.  Roll Eyes

but there are no obvious connections to this adress I thought? Or do you have some serious links?
cafminer1

Activity: 52

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 02:45:29 PM

geez mt gox.

Exactly!!! :-))

The sad and real fact however, is they re just lying. That s why it doesnt work. Lying like a child's plan... but about half a billion $.

They not recalling where 200K were, is like Obama pushing world war button "by mistake". What kind of business it was, for Mt Godx sake?!

Squeeze the fatty motherf*cker until last satoshi comes out.
Jcw188

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Carpe Diem

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 02:46:35 PM

Imagine if they try to say the market price is the price on Mt. Gox and then pay you back dollars and keep the bitcoin and sell it on another exchange for a lot of money?  Wow that would screw the customers.  In fact it could have been why they sat back and watched their price crash, because they wanted it to.

████▄██████████▄
███▄████████████
▄███▀
████
████
████
▀███▄
███▀████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██████████▄
████████████
███████████▀███▄
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
▀███▄███████████
████████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██▄█████████▄██▄
▀████▄█████▄████▀
▀████▄▄████▀
███████████
▄███▀█████▀███▄
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
▀███████████████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
████▀███▀██████▀
███████▄█████▀
████▄▄██████████▄
▀▀██████▀███████
▄██████▄███▄████
█████▀██████████
▀██▀███▀████████▀

████▄███████████
████████████████
▄███▀███████████
███████████████
██████████████
████████████████
███████████▄███▀
████████████
▀██████████▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████
|
Listed
on
BINANCE
KUCOIN
Gate.io
|
andy10000

Activity: 29

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 02:55:09 PM

Get ready for a "refund and release" document that you will have to sign to have that 25% back.
Posted from Bitcointa.lk - #Fpp887iUwI8WA2d2

I don't think they can threaten to withhold what they owe on pain of signing a release to write off the rest of the debt. But the court could decide that's all we get.
bitcoiner49er

Activity: 457
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 03:15:12 PM

Undecided

Wow. I guess I'm glad that most criminals are stupid.

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 03:18:18 PM

I can't believe how Negligent Karpeles and MTGox are.  200,000 BTC just shows up out of the blue in one of their wallets.

Truly a criminal operation and a stain on all of Bitcoin.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
ab8989

Activity: 209
Merit: 101

FUTURE OF CRYPTO IS HERE!

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 03:22:45 PM
Last edit: March 21, 2014, 03:49:22 PM by ab8989

There are a couple of huge issues that nobody seems to have raised in this thread yet.

1) To be able to surprisingly "find" something you own means that you never really kept any record where you have stored things. Think about this. MtGox stores and has liabilities 950kBTC worth about $1bn and they do not have one single paper that lists all the BTC they have and where they are at the moment of when the paper was written. This situation has gone on for years at least back to june 2011. The lack of this paper means that nobody has never really checked that the BTC they have matches the BTC they owe.

2) What is the motivation of all this? I think there is a huge advantage to MtGox trying to claim that they do not have any paper which lists where their BTC had ever been been stored. MtGox has been in trouble as sure somebody has asked them in court where was the 800kBTC lost from in the February incident and they sure do not want to answer that question. This is their response how they want to avoid answering. They just say that we have no idea where they were as we never had any accounting about the coins where they are. Honest. 200kBTC is small price to pay if this story sticks and somebody can walk away with the other remaining 600kBTC without it being clawed back in the bankruptcy court.
BitCoinsLOL

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 03:55:47 PM

Looks like someone realized his scam wouldn't work and quickly "coughed up" the private keys.

My thoughts exactly.

Get ready for a "refund and release" document that you will have to sign to have that 25% back.

Karpeles' lawyers forgot to arrange for Karpeles to resign from Gox Poland's board of directors on time (negative legal consequences - although unrealized yet - already occured for Karpeles under Polish Commercial Code which is applicable to all board of directors of companies registered in Poland). Polish Commercial Code originates from very harsh communist laws. President of Board can be jailed for defruading as little as USD 1k.

Even if criminal lawsuits against Karpeles fail in vanilla jurisdictions (Japan and USA), there is no fucking way he can escape multi-year jail service in Poland, even if he farts out those 25%. Trust me Japanese and American prisons are nice when compared to Polish ones.

This is great news Poland does not screw around apparently. Glad to be Aus/Pol and a little Italian.

I never thought my life could be. Anything but catastrophe. But suddenly I begin to see. A "BIT" of good luck for me. Cause I've got a golden ticket!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: