Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 08:24:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox announce finding of 200,000 lost BTC!  (Read 30495 times)
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 08:52:48 PM

I didn't think this story could get more crazy, but here we go. What company misplaces and forgets about $100 million is beyond my comprehension.

If you manage your company very badly and you are dealing with hundreds of millions you can misplace $100 million but it feels a bit odd

There is a lot that we don't know and there has probably be some people trying to s.cam successfully or not

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 06:06:17 AM

I didn't think this story could get more crazy, but here we go. What company misplaces and forgets about $100 million is beyond my comprehension.

If you manage your company very badly and you are dealing with hundreds of millions you can misplace $100 million but it feels a bit odd

There is a lot that we don't know and there has probably be some people trying to s.cam successfully or not
No you can't misplace that much money.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Nathonas

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Knowledge is Power

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 06:23:14 AM

Incompetence is often (or usually?) the best explanation for things. But in this case it just doesn't seem that plausible. How likely is it for a team of guys that created one of the first and most popular bitcoin exchanges, and were also early adopters of bitcoin themselves, to be incompetent enough to just "lose" 800,000 BTC and  then "find" a wallet with 200k?

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 06:25:27 AM

It's more likely than a chimpanzee to randomly type out Hamlet by William Shakespeare, but only slightly so.

AT101ET (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1348

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 09:37:35 AM

Well since it's been announced and made public, they can't keep them. They'd probably be asked to hand them over to the companies dealing with the bankruptcy who'd decide what's best to do.
They may decide to return them based on a percentage.
But you never know...
impresionesmline

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 10:48:56 AM

The only thing known is that these type of scammers are going to ruin the cryptos due to the lack of a serious legal arbitrage...
BitOnyx

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 10:50:49 AM

Situation drastically changed compared to recent months. I wonder what would happen next.

TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 05:47:59 PM

The dog found my homework.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dog_ate_my_homework

boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 06:23:57 PM

Incompetence is often (or usually?) the best explanation for things. But in this case it just doesn't seem that plausible. How likely is it for a team of guys that created one of the first and most popular bitcoin exchanges, and were also early adopters of bitcoin themselves, to be incompetent enough to just "lose" 800,000 BTC and  then "find" a wallet with 200k?

It is very unlikely but it is already very bad management and incompetence to allow that much money to be sc.ammed away by those who were not part of the alleged sc.am

On the other hand finance and dealing with large sums of money, thousands of bank accounts, hundreds of thousands of customers is not something you can become good at in 2years if you don't hire competent experienced professionals

TheFootMan

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 28, 2014, 08:29:47 PM

It is very unlikely but it is already very bad management and incompetence to allow that much money to be sc.ammed away by those who were not part of the alleged sc.am

On the other hand finance and dealing with large sums of money, thousands of bank accounts, hundreds of thousands of customers is not something you can become good at in 2years if you don't hire competent experienced professionals

This comes to mind:

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity and laziness.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: