Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:24:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: If a brick and mortar store accepted BTC would you pay that way?
Yes - 29 (76.3%)
No - 9 (23.7%)
Total Voters: 38

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you spend BTC daily in brick and mortar stores?  (Read 2793 times)
phaddie (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 06:48:12 PM

Hey guys,

I am doing a project for school and I am trying to determine how many people there are walking around ready and willing to use BTC for some of their everyday expenses.  For instance if you could pay at restaurants, markets, coffee shops, etc with BTC is that something that would be interesting to you?  Please feel free to leave comments justifying your vote as well.  I am looking to find out about people in Canada mainly but interested to hear what the world has to say.

Also comment here if you know of services that offer this is a option.

Phad.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:22:33 PM

Hey guys,

I am doing a project for school and I am trying to determine how many people there are walking around ready and willing to use BTC for some of their everyday expenses.  For instance if you could pay at restaurants, markets, coffee shops, etc with BTC is that something that would be interesting to you?  Please feel free to leave comments justifying your vote as well.  I am looking to find out about people in Canada mainly but interested to hear what the world has to say.

Also comment here if you know of services that offer this is a option.

Phad.

Sure.  I see it as no different that paying with cash except it has added convenience.  I'm not in Canada though but I will say that I think it's probably a bigger advantage for Canadians.  There's nothing I hate more than those damn loonie and toonie coins you have, as a guy I don't want 2 pounds of change in my wallet.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
Bonam

Activity: 420

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:27:25 PM

I'd definitely use it. Why not? It'd be fun, it's another payment method. The sooner more everyday businesses take BTC in payment, the sooner it will stabilize and become more viable as an actual currency, not just an investment.
ryanmnercer

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 08:22:47 PM

Yes I would.

Buy peptides with BTC
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 08:53:05 PM

If fiat currencies are going down and there is a huge economic crisis; having BTC will be very useful

People will start using them for everything with gold, silver and barter

We are supposed to be in a recovery (we're not) so Gold and BTC are not going up but they will when the USD plunges

Dr.Zaius

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 09:25:42 PM

Why would people choose to spend a better form of money(bitcoin) vs a worse form of money(fiat) given the choice?

People will always get rid of the least desirable thing they hold.

The only spenders of bitcoin will be those earning their incomes in it. ie miners, because it's easier to spend directly then converting into fiat when a merchant accepts btc.

Bitcoiners have a difficult time grasping real life economic concepts.

It is basically an interpretation of Gresham's law.

Twilight_Sparkle

Activity: 91

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 09:44:51 PM

Why would people choose to spend a better form of money(bitcoin) vs a worse form of money(fiat) given the choice?

I myself get rid of the worse form of money....by buying bitcoin. I then use the bitcoin to buy things. How else do you think places like overstock see such "large" amounts of purchases via bitcoin? Sure its a little inconvenient, but that is a temporary problem. Ideas that are great in theory, often do not work in reality. If it does not happen in reality, maby you need to change your idea to something that better represents truth? People do not always get rid of the least desirable thing, or are willing to spend bitcoin in order to help bitcoin, even if it is not in their "best" interest.

1H8gQ7KEN65pbdtusg28NQ33YWFBPgWAf1
firestone411

Activity: 12

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 09:56:03 PM

I don't know about daily.
Dr.Zaius

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 10:04:36 PM

I myself get rid of the worse form of money....by buying bitcoin. I then use the bitcoin to buy things. How else do you think places like overstock see such "large" amounts of purchases via bitcoin? Sure its a little inconvenient, but that is a temporary problem. Ideas that are great in theory, often do not work in reality. If it does not happen in reality, maby you need to change your idea to something that better represents truth? People do not always get rid of the least desirable thing, or are willing to spend bitcoin in order to help bitcoin, even if it is not in their "best" interest.

I can see you aren't very bright. Tell me how does buying bitcoin for USD and then selling it again for USD via bitpay on Overstock.com, help bitcoin? In that entire process you've also paid fees to exchange + bid/ask slippage. You are only "helping" exchangers.

And no overstock.com does not see large amounts of purchases. They've done what 1million in 6 weeks? That is less then what is traded on bad days on some of the smaller exchanges. It is also miners that are shopping there, you know cashing out the 3600BTC they create out of thin air on a daily basis. Of course a few diehards such as yourself buying btc just for the sake of selling it again.
ryanmnercer

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 10:06:11 PM

I can see you aren't very bright. Tell me how does buying bitcoin for USD and then selling it again for USD via bitpay on Overstock.com, help bitcoin? In that entire process you've also paid fees to exchange + bid/ask slippage. You are only "helping" exchangers.

And no overstock.com does not see large amounts of purchases. They've done what 1million in 6 weeks? That is less then what is traded on bad days on some of the smaller exchanges. It is also miners that are shopping there, and of course a few idiots such as yourself buying btc just for the sake of selling it again.

They are seeing 20-30k USD a day worth of bitcoin. That's impressive, whether you want to admit it or not.

Buy peptides with BTC
5thStreetResearch

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 10:07:36 PM

its still too volatile too hold for day to day use for me, would rather just trade it and use USD in stores

skilo

Activity: 321

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 10:29:46 PM

I probably would sometimes but i prefer cash back credit cards, I have 2 really good ones right now that basically pay me for using them, I just pay off the balance every month so it's like a debit card really.

Bitcoin is better for online shopping exspecially for sellers because of the no charge back nature of bitcoin, Bitpay has really made it so merchants can accept Bitcoin with ease now, It's too bad most people still are not tech savvy enough to know how to use it or implement it.
Twilight_Sparkle

Activity: 91

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 12:34:27 AM

And no overstock.com does not see large amounts of purchases. They've done what 1million in 6 weeks? That is less then what is traded on bad days on some of the smaller exchanges. It is also miners that are shopping there, you know cashing out the 3600BTC they create out of thin air on a daily basis. Of course a few diehards such as yourself buying btc just for the sake of selling it again.

Really? You do not know how merchant adoption helps bitcoin? Seriously, spend 2-3 minutes thinking about it, you might be able to find out why yourself. I don't care if they transfer immediately to usd(or whatever local fiat), and never touch bitcoins themselves. When more and more people/businesses start accepting bitcoin, eventually holding bitcoins starts to sound desirable.

exchange fees? If you think you don't pay for credit card fees(which get transfered to everyone in higher prices), or that your not paying for inflation, well.......

finally, I admit that overstock does not receive large amounts in bitcoin relative to their size, re-read my post, notice the quotes around large? But it is enough to make it worth their effort. I also have no idea where to begin on that train wreck of the miner sentence that you wrote. Most mining profit is used to get back the cost of the mining rigs, and what proof do you have of the shopping part? (hint:none)

1H8gQ7KEN65pbdtusg28NQ33YWFBPgWAf1
softron

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 07:53:13 AM

Sure many bitcoiners would buy stuff with btc. You just have to be careful u dont get in a 'no confirmation' issue.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 08:54:22 AM

I would probably spend about the same in a Bitcoin store but I'd be a lot happier about doing it, nothing worse than spending money you know is going to be devalued several times after you've handed it over.
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 09:06:17 AM

I wouldn't want to tumble around on my phone, enter the pin, scan and so on... to buy a pint of milk, and what if I am actually on the phone? I drop the call to pay?

I would happily use bitcoin to order online though Smiley
ryanmnercer

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 10:08:04 AM

I wouldn't want to tumble around on my phone, enter the pin, scan and so on... to buy a pint of milk, and what if I am actually on the phone? I drop the call to pay?

I would happily use bitcoin to order online though Smiley

Why would you have to hang up a call, just say "hang on one second"... actually, why are you talking on your phone while shopping... seriously everyone does NOT want to hear half of your conversation, I promise.

Buy peptides with BTC
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 10:27:03 AM

actually, why are you talking on your phone while shopping...

Friends and family do tend to call you at most inappropriate times, wouldn't you agree?  Cheesy

ryanmnercer

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 10:30:42 AM

Friends and family do tend to call you at most inappropriate times, wouldn't you agree?  Cheesy

I don't answer my phone in public, it's bad opsec on multiple levels and rude to those around you.

Buy peptides with BTC
BtcOwner

Activity: 6

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:49:26 AM

if it gonna to be possible to pay with bitcoin everywhere yes i would like to do it!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: