Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:53:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My Attempt at The Uberman Sleep Schedule  (Read 12267 times)
Jalum

Activity: 774
Merit: 500

Look ARROUND!

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 02:59:15 PM

I like the part where you guys explain why these things can't be done. What I can gather from your answers is that your perception is limited to what you can see 5 feet in front of you.

No, I described exactly what happens in polyphasic sleep when it's done "properly".  You shut down every four hours.  If you try to deviate from this, you pass out.  Doesn't matter if you're in line at Wendy's or driving down the interstate.  You've been robbing your body of real rest for days (weeks?) and it has serious consequences.

█████████████████
         ███ ██     █     ██ ███
       ██ █████     █     █████ ██
     ███   █   █  █████  █   █   ███
   ███     █    ███ █ ███    █     ███
  ██  ███ ██ ███    █    ███ ██ ███  ██
  ██     ████       █      █████     ██
 ███   ██ █  ███    █    ███  █ ██   ███
 █ █ ██   █     ██  █  ██     █   ██ █ █
█████     █       █████       █     █████
 █ █ ██   █   ████  █  ████   █   ██ █ █
 ███   ████ ██      █      ██ ████   ███
  ██  █  █████      █      █████  █  ██
  ██ ██   ██ ████   █  ████  ██   ██ ██
   ██      █     ██████      █     ███
     ████  █   ██████████    █  ████
       ██ █████     █    ██████ ██
         ███  ██    █   ███  ███
            █████████████████
ARROUND

Telegram
ANN Thread
Bounty Thread
Whitepaper
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 04:29:44 PM

I don't feel like arguing with people who try to enforce their opinion on others. So I'll just say I support JohnDoe's posts, and am curious to see how alpha will do.

BitMagic

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 05:34:23 PM

Missed the update on nap 5-6. Bet he fell asleep again.

Please give me your money, because I am a shameless libertarian elite who deserves your money more than you do: 9Hkao8U82WWDp6SQGn4k7ad9gT1LWeL5s3
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 05:39:31 PM

I know I'll be loading up on tryptophan today. I'll definitely need a nap.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
ALPHA. (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 08:00:10 PM

Update:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aSDRlw8MPcQ
BTCurious

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 08:25:39 PM

Uhm, I don't think this gradual thing will work… but feel free to try.

sd

Activity: 730

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 08:34:29 PM

Uhm, I don't think this gradual thing will work… but feel free to try.

Out of everyone reading this who has actually made any alternate sleep schedule work for over a month?

Anyone?

BTCurious

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 08:48:21 PM

Out of everyone reading this who has actually made any alternate sleep schedule work for over a month?

Anyone?
Me.

bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 09:25:41 PM

Good luck with this but I don't think you will get very far. Even sleeping 5 hours a night is too little for some.
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2011, 11:42:29 PM

Since I have started to work on day/night 12 hours long shifts, I feel great and fresh all night but sleepy and sick at day.
When I have free week, My bio-rhythm is scheduled vampire-like naturally.
2 years.

Does it count?
ALPHA. (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2011, 02:53:41 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt0DFvov8O0

The next step...
BitMagic

View Profile
November 27, 2011, 02:15:15 AM

And....?

Please give me your money, because I am a shameless libertarian elite who deserves your money more than you do: 9Hkao8U82WWDp6SQGn4k7ad9gT1LWeL5s3
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
November 27, 2011, 04:37:47 AM

"my father is genetically..."

mutated?

"he has been able to sleep only 6 hours for a good portion of his life"

Hot damn! He's only slept 6 hours in his lifetime? Put him on youtube instead of you.

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
November 27, 2011, 04:58:19 AM

You won't be able to keep it up. After about 3 days you're goimg to crash for several hours.

The body needs 2-3 hours of REM sleep just to survive.

It's a fun experiment though, I did it too when I was 17.

Interesting though that those with mood disorders (depression, specifically) actually spend more time in REM sleep than do those without mental illness.  Even more interesting is that studies were done where they woke people up during different stages of sleep to record their dreams, and REM sleep was significantly correlated with more nightmares than earlier stages.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
November 27, 2011, 05:00:24 AM

Interesting though that those with mood disorders (depression, specifically) actually spend more time in REM sleep than do those without mental illness.
Seriously? How did they test such a thing lol

Even more interesting is that studies were done where they woke people up during different stages of sleep to record their dreams, and REM sleep was significantly correlated with more nightmares than earlier stages.
Somehow that's not surprising. The deeper in your subconscious mind you go, the less in control you are.

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
November 27, 2011, 05:03:59 AM

Interesting though that those with mood disorders (depression, specifically) actually spend more time in REM sleep than do those without mental illness.

Even more interesting is that studies were done where they woke people up during different stages of sleep to record their dreams, and REM sleep was significantly correlated with more nightmares than earlier stages.
Somehow that's not surprising. The deeper in your subconscious mind you go, the less in control you are.

They tested through EEG.  Different stages of sleep are marked by different electrical wave signatures (e.g. delta waves).  It's as simple as timing how long a sleeping individual's brain emits each kind of wave signature.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
November 27, 2011, 05:07:30 AM

They tested through EEG.  Different stages of sleep are marked by different electrical wave signatures (e.g. delta waves).  It's as simple as timing how long a sleeping individual's brain emits each kind of wave signature.

Fascinating stuff.

netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
November 27, 2011, 06:30:23 AM

I spent several months in a monastery. We'd eat one meal a day, alternate between sitting and walking meditation, eventually about two hours, up to ten times each. At the end of each lunar month we'd engage in 'determination' which consisted of no sleep for four days. Aside from believing there were multiple entities in my solitary cell, I generally remained sane and healthy.

In my most productive projects, I go through arbitrary work-crash cycles, perhaps 36 hours awake, who knows how long asleep. Though, I can't imagine it working on a schedule. I failed a semester of University trying to sleep less than four hours each night and couldn't separate my own thoughts from the world around me. Stress and lack of sleep are a hellish combination. Isn't that a well documented torture: sleep deprivation through forced standing, flashing lights, and loud dissonant music, until submission?

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
BTCurious

View Profile
November 27, 2011, 10:56:49 AM

In my most productive projects, I go through arbitrary work-crash cycles, perhaps 36 hours awake, who knows how long asleep. Though, I can't imagine it working on a schedule. I failed a semester of University trying to sleep less than four hours each night and couldn't separate my own thoughts from the world around me. Stress and lack of sleep are a hellish combination. Isn't that a well documented torture: sleep deprivation through forced standing, flashing lights, and loud dissonant music, until submission?
But trying to sleep 4 hours a night and then failing does not mean that something like uberman can't work. Of course, it's notoriously hard to prove a negative, but still…

On an unrelated note, this is mightily interesting:
It was Keith Hearne (1978), of the University of Hull, who first exploited the fact that not all the muscles are paralyzed [during sleep]. In REM sleep the eyes move. So perhaps a lucid dreamer could signal by moving the eyes in a predetermined pattern. Just over ten years ago, lucid dreamer Alan Worsley first managed this is in Hearne's laboratory. He decided to move his eyes left and right eight times in succession whenever he became lucid. Using a polygraph, Hearne could watch the eye movements for sign of the special signal. He found it in the midst of REM sleep. So lucid dreams are real dreams and do occur during REM sleep.

BitMagic

View Profile
November 27, 2011, 11:01:34 AM

Less interesting, considering REM is significantly correlated with more dreams in general .

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: