Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 12:44:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada bans 1500 types of military style guns - fair or unfair?  (Read 211 times)
Juggy777 (OP)

Activity: 2646
Merit: 686

View Profile
May 02, 2020, 09:59:28 AM
Merited by Vod (1)

Justin Trudeau the Prime Minister of Canada has banned around 1500 types of military style guns for Canadian citizens with immediate effect, and I’m hoping that this act will help prevent incidents like the one we witnessed in Nova Scotia two weeks ago. While this is a bold move in my personal opinion but there’re people who feel that this move is not fair, and will not help in solving any problems that the Canadian citizens are facing due to illegal gun sales. What are your thoughts on this allow military style guns to be publicly available and be misused, or ban them for the greater good?.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau unveiled his government’s ban on “military-style” assault rifles on Friday, fulfilling an election promise in the wake of a mass shooting in Nova Scotia two weeks ago that killed 22 people.

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer accused the prime minister of using the COVID-19 pandemic and the immediate emotion of the horrific murders in Nova Scotia to push the Liberals’ ideological agenda and make major firearms policy changes.

“Taking firearms away from law-abiding citizens does nothing to stop dangerous criminals who obtain their guns illegally,” Scheer said in a statement.

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney slammed the gun ban in a Friday afternoon statement, accusing the government of going after law-abiding gun owners and doing nothing to tackle illegal gun violence.

“Today’s order does little to target criminals,” said Kenney. “Instead, Ottawa is singling out law-abiding gun Canadians who purchased their property legally.”

Source:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/trudeau-says-feds-banning-range-of-assault-style-guns-order-takes-effect-immediately
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2020, 11:58:40 AM

Justin Trudeau the Prime Minister of Canada has banned around 1500 types of military style guns for Canadian citizens with immediate effect, and I’m hoping that this act will help prevent incidents like the one we witnessed in Nova Scotia two weeks ago. While this is a bold move in my personal opinion but there’re people who feel that this move is not fair, and will not help in solving any problems that the Canadian citizens are facing due to illegal gun sales. What are your thoughts on this allow military style guns to be publicly available and be misused, or ban them for the greater good?.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau unveiled his government’s ban on “military-style” assault rifles on Friday, fulfilling an election promise in the wake of a mass shooting in Nova Scotia two weeks ago that killed 22 people.

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer accused the prime minister of using the COVID-19 pandemic and the immediate emotion of the horrific murders in Nova Scotia to push the Liberals’ ideological agenda and make major firearms policy changes.

“Taking firearms away from law-abiding citizens does nothing to stop dangerous criminals who obtain their guns illegally,” Scheer said in a statement.

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney slammed the gun ban in a Friday afternoon statement, accusing the government of going after law-abiding gun owners and doing nothing to tackle illegal gun violence.

“Today’s order does little to target criminals,” said Kenney. “Instead, Ottawa is singling out law-abiding gun Canadians who purchased their property legally.”

Source:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/trudeau-says-feds-banning-range-of-assault-style-guns-order-takes-effect-immediately

Most of them are restricted already, making them prohibited will not change a thing about how criminals are using them.

Prohibited handguns are used in shootings all the time.  Why would you think a registered, 22" M14 is a public safety issue is beyond me.

I wonder how much they will be paying for our guns.

Confiscating legally obtained property without compensation is wrong.

Viper1

Activity: 686
Merit: 320

View Profile
May 02, 2020, 12:19:24 PM

It won't stop a damn thing as, as you mentioned, they were obtained illegally and that won't change. People kill people and there's not much that can be done to stop that except create a society where people are "happier" in general so they don't reach that point. Still won't stop it completely but it can certainly help. Or hey. Maybe they should design a chip that can be put in every ones head, or some drug everyone is mandated to take, to keep them passive. One day some day in the future I'm sure that will become an option that they'll try.

As for "fair". What's fair? Has nothing to do with being "fair" as far as I'm concerned. It's a matter of freedom and freedom comes with a price, part of which is decreased "safety". I tend to lean far more towards being free than having anyone tell me how to live, what I can and can't say, what I can and can't own, what I can't and can put in my body etc.

As for the ban itself, I've never had the desire to own those sorts of weapons but taking away my freedom to own them if I wanted, that's a no go for me. Now they're talking about handguns as well of course. There's never an end. Get one thing implemented, then later another.. and another.. and another until one day people have little freedom and are little more than "slaves" to the government. There has to be a line in the sand each person needs to decides on that they can never go beyond. Sadly few people seem to have the capability to think beyond the here and now and see how things can progress when you give the government a little rope.

I love your appeal to "the greater good". Nice of you to think you have the capability to determine what that is for everyone. Or how you talk about how the weapons are currently "misused". Got any proof of that or are you just trying to demonize all those guns and the people that own them? You're trying to make it into a morality based issue when it's not. It's a freedom issue. Emotions have no place in the governing of a nation.

BTC: 1F8yJqgjeFyX1SX6KJmqYtHiHXJA89ENNT
LTC: LYAEPQeDDM7Y4jbUH2AwhBmkzThAGecNBV
DOGE: DSUsCCdt98PcNgUkFHLDFdQXmPrQBEqXu9
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1373

View Profile
May 02, 2020, 01:27:38 PM

It's might be fair if everybody obeys it. This includes the Canadian military, and the criminals - who normally do anything they want anyway.

It's bad, because an armed citizenry is necessary to protect from foreign invasion, and from a tyrannical government.

However, the Canadian government doesn't have authority to take your private property from you. And if a gun is your private property, they don't even have a right to call it something else. "All I know is that it's my property. So, stop trying to steal my property."

In Canada, the USA, Britain, Australia, and other places, property ownership and rights by the people are the basis of government.

Cool

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/.

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
coolcoinz
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1104

View Profile
May 02, 2020, 02:01:26 PM

I don't agree with such bans and believe every person should have access and bear consequences of using weapons. Banning some guns will not change much because most murders are done execution style or by accident, so it really doesn't matter if you allow someone a 9mm handgun or an ak47. It's very rare for someone to go full auto at another human being. It's usually 1 or 2 bullets and it's all over and that can be done even with a 22 pistol. Even stupid store robberies are often done with a handgun or a shotgun. Have you seen somebody running around the town with an m16, mugging people with it?

I can see the list includes almost all available ar15 and m4 versions. They will have to keep updating it every few months.
Also, it's pretty stupid that they're clasifying SMG's as "military grade weapons". So I guess everything that is automatic or long bore semi auto is military grade in their eyes. We could argue that pistols also are military grade. This is what all officers cary as sidearms, so I don't know what this is all about. Soon Canadians will be left with BB plinkers to defend themselves. Good luck taking out a bear with that.

eddie13
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 2262

BTC or BUST

View Profile
May 02, 2020, 03:37:31 PM

It's disgusting to me..
I really hate the Canadian government and can't help but blame the Canadian citizenry for allowing it to get this way..

You leafs need to wake up..

Throw away your freedoms of speech and freedoms to defend yourselves.. Their is something wrong with you in the head if you vote for these progressives, and don't vote against them every chance you get.. You need to fight these progressives tooth and nail..

Chancellor on Brink of Second Bailout for Banks
LoyceMobile

Activity: 1656
Merit: 687

LoyceV on the road. Or couch.

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2020, 03:44:41 PM

Why don't they just ban killing people? O wait!

It now looks like they're using a criminal's actions with an unregistered weapon to push their agenda, while none of this would have prevented what happened.

I'm not against banning assault rifles for home use (BTW: WTF!!), but do it for the right reasons.

LoyceV on the road Advertise here for LN Don't deal with this account (exception)
Advertise here for LN Tip my kids Exchange LN (20 coins). 1% fee. No KYC <€50/month
My useful topics: Meritt & Trust & Moreee Art Advertise here for LN Foru[url=https://bitcointalk.org/m
Viper1

Activity: 686
Merit: 320

View Profile
May 02, 2020, 05:27:04 PM

and don't vote against them every chance you get..
You assume there's a better choice. There isn't. They all suck one way or another.

BTC: 1F8yJqgjeFyX1SX6KJmqYtHiHXJA89ENNT
LTC: LYAEPQeDDM7Y4jbUH2AwhBmkzThAGecNBV
DOGE: DSUsCCdt98PcNgUkFHLDFdQXmPrQBEqXu9
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 3080

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2020, 05:33:01 PM

Assault rifles are designed to kill as many people as possible as fast as possible.  They are not a defensive weapon.

I can't see why any citizen would need to have one in their home.   You like guns?   Go to a range, but keep the AR there under lock and guard.   

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soonish!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2020, 05:56:06 PM

In the lockdowns/shutdowns, food will soon run out. What better way to hunt moose and deer into extinction while trying to stay alive? Besides, if we start with the government people, assault rifles are one of the best ways to go after their stores of food... that they have stored up for themselves while they urge the lockdowns/shutdowns on.

And once the animals have all been killed off, and when there are no more government people left to eat, we can go after those people who are dumb enough to have been sheep, and listened to government. Cannibalism at its finest. Of course, eating sheep isn't really cannibalism.

Every smart person will keep several good assault rifles around, along with lots of ammo.

Cool

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/.

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
eddie13
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 2262

BTC or BUST

View Profile
May 02, 2020, 05:58:09 PM

Assault rifles are designed to kill as many people as possible as fast as possible.  They are not a defensive weapon.

I can't see why any citizen would need to have one in their home.   You like guns?   Go to a range, but keep the AR there under lock and guard.   

Nothing wrong with wanting to be able to defend yourself against as many people as possible..

And actually, according to the military "assault" rifles are heavy machine guns mostly used to lay down suppressive cover fire while troops advance with light guns like the M4/M16 "AR" style rifles..
ARs aren't even "assault" rifles..

No matter.. We should be able to freely own actul heavy machine guns and RPGs anyway imo...

It's not about "need".. It's about freedom..

Chancellor on Brink of Second Bailout for Banks
af_newbie
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2020, 08:25:04 AM
Last edit: May 03, 2020, 08:50:15 AM by af_newbie

Assault rifles are designed to kill as many people as possible as fast as possible.  They are not a defensive weapon.

I can't see why any citizen would need to have one in their home.   You like guns?   Go to a range, but keep the AR there under lock and guard.  

Hmm, not sure about that.

I live in a bear country. I carry M14 around my 100 acres property when I go more than 100m from my house.

The closest range is 200 km from me.  I have no use to go to the range.  My property is my range.

You don't want to come against a hungry bear with a bolt rifle.  At least with M14, you can have 5 quick shots before you can reload.

I have no use for AR15 in .223 or any other gun in that caliber.  From long-distance, it is really hard to kill anything right-away in one shot with .223.  It is a wounding caliber.

I only use .308 to dispatch game.  Bear, deer, groundhog or raccoon, no matter.  .308 puts them all down.  The only question is how high they fly before they go down.

Very few things stop the .308.  Small tree or bush branches, or even a strong wind deflects .223.  Completely useless hunting caliber.  Maybe it is useful for a close <100m  range to kill or wound humans.

I have no idea what the "assault rifles" are.  Please do tell me what they are.

coolcoinz
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1104

View Profile
May 03, 2020, 11:31:54 AM

They also banned SMGs, which are not assault rifles.
I wonder if you are able to own an automatic pistol like the Glock 18. I have not read the whole list to find it, but it probably is somewhere in there because if they're afraid of small SMGs, an automatic pistol offers a similar firepower but is easier to carry and conceal.

BluePowder

Activity: 203
Merit: 3

View Profile
May 03, 2020, 02:39:10 PM

Every weapon is a defensive weapon. if a handful of bad people roll up on your property why do you think and AR 15 is not a defense.

The part you gun banners don't take into account is that these guns cost $10,000 + and need complicated licensing .. so anyone who can pass that and afford that is not a nut job.. For a criminal, or someone truly demented that wanks to kill for fun, a lack of license isn't giong to stop him.  if you have 10k cash to spend on a gun, obviously you have the means to bypass any restrictions.  If you look on youtube there are people building very nice replicas with nothing but scrap metal and a few tools.  I saw philipino guys churning out beatiful 9mm replicas in 2-3 days without any real tools, just files, hack saws, a hobby lathe. 

BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2020, 02:47:39 PM

Again, while Canadian law isn't as simple as USA law, regarding how a man/woman can identify their property as simple property when it has not harmed anyone, Canada has better written-right-in-law steps for people to protect themselves from government stealing their property.

If the people wake up regarding their freedom to own property, and if they show that any kind of gun is property, the courts will have to rule against the anti-gun laws.

Common sense says that, if a government rules against something because it is potentially dangerous, they might as well put everybody in strait-jackets. Because anybody can figure out how to be or do something dangerous any time

The fear of government people, is the fear that their own people will rise up against them when they do something wrong to the people. The people will win without guns, of course. But it will be a lot harder without guns. And THAT is the only reason why government wants to put down guns.

Further, in this time of uncertainty about Covid-19, the people will find out that it is fake, and that all the statistics about Covid deaths are skewed statistics. When they find this out, guess who they will be angry at? Their government officials, who either ordered lockdowns by mistaken understanding of the disease, but more than likely KNEW that the disease was a fake thing.

Cool

BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2020, 03:44:35 PM

I don't particularly like the way McAfee uses his freedom. But one thing he does is, he uses it (his freedom). Slavery is coming to you if you don't use your freedom.

"Go Buy Guns First" - John McAfee Warns - Governments "Are Deceiving You" About Virus

That was the message of John McAfee. Between evil laughs and dark chucklings, the tech guru, tax fugitive, and general wild man shared his suspect views on the "state of the world" during COVID-19 last night at Virtual Blockchain Week.

"We are living in a paradigm the world has never seen before," the 74-year-old crypto advocate and antivirus-software pioneer said, speaking from God knows where.

(He's kept his whereabouts a secret since fleeing Belize in 2012 after suspicions grew that he killed his neighbor.)

"One-third of the planet is in lockdown," he said, adding that most of those people are sitting at home, watching TV, and not doing much of anything, while the US government "pulls money out of thin air." The situation is not sustainable, he argued.

He was especially disturbed by a recent $2 trillion stimulus package in the US, which appears to be backed by nothing other than the good graces of the US government.

Cool

af_newbie
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2020, 03:56:44 PM
Last edit: May 03, 2020, 04:20:03 PM by af_newbie

Assault rifles are designed to kill as many people as possible as fast as possible.  They are not a defensive weapon.

I can't see why any citizen would need to have one in their home.   You like guns?   Go to a range, but keep the AR there under lock and guard.  

They also banned SMGs, which are not assault rifles.
I wonder if you are able to own an automatic pistol like the Glock 18. I have not read the whole list to find it, but it probably is somewhere in there because if they're afraid of small SMGs, an automatic pistol offers a similar firepower but is easier to carry and conceal.

Any Glock can be converted to full auto.

When I was doing PPC competitions, I was playing with Ghost triggers, adjusting and modifying them, by accident I ended up with full auto G17,
it was useless to me as it just sprayed, wasted ammo, and I could not use it in competitions.  In PPC the goal was to put everything in 4" circle from 50m, or better.  Light triggers helped.  With full auto, you have little control of where the bullets go and how many you fire.

I do not understand the use of full-auto guns. They don't make you a marksman, more like an idiot carrying cans of ammo around.

As for banning the semi-auto rifles, well, it is a knee jerk reaction to the shooting in NS. People who came up with it do not understand one thing about guns.  They know guns from Rambo movies.

All they know is guns kill people.  Guess what, so do planes, cars, screwdrivers, hammers, swords, knives, bacteria, and viruses.

Do I think everyone should be allowed to own a gun?  No.  I have met many disturbed, trigger happy individuals in my time around gun ranges.  Jews preparing for the Armaggedon with the Muslims and vice versa, or survivalists who prepped to kill anyone in SHTF scenarios.

Proper marksmanship training (not just safety training) and psychiatric evaluation by a panel of psychiatrists is a must.  Neither is done in Canada or the US.  Anyone who is alive and can speak/write English can get a license and get semi-auto guns.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: