Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:27:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: COMPLETED: Request for an RPC capable fork of cgminer (155 BTC pledged and paid)  (Read 19165 times)
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2011, 12:25:37 AM

Hi!

Guys, how much will cost to add support for Scrypt (Litecoin mining) to cgminer (maybe cgminer-cpuonly)?

Of course, based on: https://github.com/pooler/cpuminer

10 BTC?

So, with only one cgminer instance, we can find Bitcoin/Namecoin and Litecoin blocks!

But keeping the option to mine for Bitcoins using cgminer-cpuonly too, if user wish that...

Best!
Thiago
You should probably make a new thread for this since it has nothing to do with RPC.  My hopes for litecoin are low, but this would still be an interesting idea.

You would also likely need the CPU mining to be on a different pool, so this request will likely require more than just scrypt support.

It would be nice if the RPC had a "help" command that output available commands along with a short description of what they do just like bitcoind does.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1630

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2011, 01:41:37 AM

Still missing some of the bounty  Undecided

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2011, 02:33:13 AM

I wish javascript could talk over plain TCP Sockets... Sad

A simple web client cannot query cgminer on 4028 directly.  This is too bad.  I was really hoping that I could write a simple index.html that could query any cgminer instance without having to add anything to the server running cgminer.

For now it looks like I will use my python script to proxy calls so that an ajax request can get them.

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 03:17:07 AM

A simple web client cannot query cgminer on 4028 directly.  This is too bad.  I was really hoping that I could write a simple index.html that could query any cgminer instance without having to add anything to the server running cgminer.

For now it looks like I will use my python script to proxy calls so that an ajax request can get them.

Minor adjustment of what you said: You need to add to the server running the web page.

If the web page is on the miner - then you can add php as easily as you added the web server.
(and if you didn't install the web server, but someone else did - ask them why they forgot php)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2011, 07:30:51 AM
Last edit: January 02, 2012, 09:34:26 PM by Red Emerald

A simple web client cannot query cgminer on 4028 directly.  This is too bad.  I was really hoping that I could write a simple index.html that could query any cgminer instance without having to add anything to the server running cgminer.

Minor adjustment of what you said: You need to add to the server running the web page.

If the web page is on the miner - then you can add php as easily as you added the web server.
(and if you didn't install the web server, but someone else did - ask them why they forgot php)

A simple web server that serves just html is way lighter weight than installing PHP. My miner doesn't have the space for much at all since its running off a USB stick. It barely had the space for the tiny python site I made.

I was planning on using phonegap to make a monitor app.  This creates an app that is just an html and javascript page running right on the smartphone. I wanted the phonegap app to directly query the cgminer instance.

Instead, I am querying a small website that is running on the miner.  I've setup my site so it can run anywhere though.  It also has some basic caching and can add authentication or any number of things pretty easily. This is probably better than querying cgminer directly anyways.

I'll likely move this over to my actual webserver and set --api-network since litecoin mining is making the site sometimes unresponsive. I'll also get it running on port 80.

Right now the site is super minimal.  I'm probably going to use backbone and jquery mobile to make a really easy to use page.  Maybe even play around with image generation to make sigs (although we can't use images here anymore Sad )

ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 07:54:21 AM

If you can't wait, let me know. Wink

Turbor, have you paid him for me!?!  ^_^

If not, I would like to pay that... In a couple days.

5 BTC to Kano at 1LPbuDSPT4DdYbwiqAVWDJm2sHHuh6PnqB ?

Right?!

Thank you guys!!
Thiago
tnkflx

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 10:00:20 AM

Still missing some of the bounty  Undecided

Who hasn't paid yet?

| Operating electrum.be & us.electrum.be |
Turbor
Legendary

Activity: 1022

BitMinter

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2011, 10:03:30 AM

Hey Thiago

No payment has been made so far. Let me know when i can help.

-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2011, 10:13:09 AM

Still missing some of the bounty  Undecided

Who hasn't paid yet?

From top post:

Pledged so far (any additional limits/requirements marked):
* DeathAndTaxes - 30 BTC <Paid> (+5 BTC more if integrated into the mainline instead of a fork <Paid>)
* Red Emerald - 10 BTC <Paid>(+5 BTC more if integrated into the mainline instead of a fork)  <Paid>
* gnar1ta$ - 10 BTC <Paid> (+5 BTC more if integrated into the mainline instead of a fork <Paid>)
* Chefnet -  (+15 BTC only if integrated into the mainline instead of a fork)

Unpaid: 5 BTC (15 BTC for integration into mainline)

-ck
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 04:24:05 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2012, 02:12:08 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Still missing some of the bounty  Undecided

Who hasn't paid yet?

Owed to Kano for standalone project:
  • ThiagoCMC - 5 BTC

Owed to ckolivas for mainline integration:
  • Chefnet - 15 BTC

Unless my accounting is wrong it is just Chefnet (Thiago looks to be "paying" or intends to pay in next couple days.  I will wait for an update from Kano).

I sent a PM to Chefnet same day as Thiago but got no response from him.  I asked him to either pay or issue reason for non-payment in the thread.  He has done neither.  He has logged in multiple times, the latest on 12/29 so I have to assume he has seen the PM and simply ignored it.

Chefnet responded on 1/3/2012.  He was without internet.

I feel bad. Sad  Developers deserve compensation, especially promised compensation. If anyone feels this project (now integrated into mainline) has merit and it is wrong that ckolivas hasn't been compensated for all his hard work then please make a donation to his donation address and post in this thread.  I am sure in the cgminer userbase we can find 15 people to donate 1 (or more) BTC each to make up the deficit.

Sure you can tell yourself "I don't need to pay, I didn't make that pledge", but the end result is still that ckolivas is the one who loses.  As a developer myself I will let everyone in on a secret.  Developers who feel under appreciated tend to not develop.  Angry  Developers start up doing something for fun, and 20 versions later the fun is mostly gone.  They then keep "going" because they feel the project is good and don't want it to die.  A donation shows your appreciation and keeps the project alive.  So if you feel RPC support is worthwhile and has the potential for really cool stuff in the future (which I think it does) then show your support and donate 1 BTC right now.  Let me know in this thread as I will make sure ckolivas gets the full pledge one way or another.

I'll start.  1 BTC sent to 148KkS2vgVi4VzUi4JcKzM2PMaMVPi3nnq
(txn ID: db281024dbbfa2b06aa4644dd2b7d865fbc5526bdaca68025b2dbf7e68293a58)

14 to go ...

I would like to see ckolivas receive the full compensation promised (even if it doesn't come from the person(s) who made the promise).
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2011, 09:32:52 PM

@DeathAndTaxes

Thanks man, you're one of the few then who understands how I feel. Don't take all the responsibility and kill yourself over it though.

-ck
kano
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 10:56:11 PM

A simple web client cannot query cgminer on 4028 directly.  This is too bad.  I was really hoping that I could write a simple index.html that could query any cgminer instance without having to add anything to the server running cgminer.

A simple web server that serves just html is way lighter weight than installing PHP. My miner doesn't have the space for much at all since its running off a USB stick. It barely had the space for the tiny python site I made.

I was planning on using phonegap to make a monitor app.  This creates an app that is just an html and javascript page running right on the smartphone. I wanted the phonegap app to directly query the cgminer instance.

Instead, I am querying a small website that is running on the miner.  I've setup my site so it can run anywhere though.  It also has some basic caching and can add authentication or any number of things pretty easily. This is probably better than querying cgminer directly anyways.

I'll likely move this over to my actual webserver and set --api-network since litecoin mining is making the site sometimes unresponsive. I'll also get it running on port 80.

Right now the site is super minimal.  I'm probably going to use backbone and jquery mobile to make a really easy to use page.  Maybe even play around with image generation to make sigs (although we can't use images here anymore Sad )
As given here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=52466.msg642914#msg642914
Yes I have apache and php installed on my USB.
As stated it's only an extra approximately 50Mb on my USB for both apache and php.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
kano
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 11:37:44 PM

... and I will add ...
If anyone is looking for me to ask questions about it - I'm usually in the #cgminer thread as 'kanoi'
... lately mostly chatting to ckolivas (conman) about Zelda Smiley
I leave IRC on 24/7 but of course I'm not always in front of my PC Tongue
I reset my home network at 1am UTC+11 Sydney time, so I sometimes lose connection from then until I wake up if I forgot to auto reconnect my PC and went to sleep before 1am

abracadabra

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 03:43:52 AM

Theres so many projects that I want to help out!  Bitcoiners are still coming up with great ideas.

I'll pledge 10 BTC.  I'll pledge 5 more if I ckolivas pulls the code into his main branch (even if he codes it).  I think this would help us by keeping bugs to a minimum.  Multiple versions of cgminer are sure to only complicate things and slow features down.
agree +1.

add 15BTC by me if it will be mainline.

I think we should provide him 1 week to either comment or pay up.  Otherwise he should be treated as something of a scammer. I take pledging BTC for development work as a contract. 
tnkflx

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 03:07:46 PM

I will donate 5 BTC extra in 2 days to Con for his work on integrating this into mainline. (Can't access my wallet for the next 2 days ;-))

runeks
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2012, 04:48:21 PM

I feel bad. Sad  Developers deserve compensation, especially promised compensation. If anyone feels this project (now integrated into mainline) has merit and it is wrong that ckolivas hasn't been compensated for all his hard work then please make a donation to his donation address and post in this thread.  I am sure in the cgminer userbase we can find 15 people to donate 1 (or more) BTC each to make up the deficit.
1 BTC sent.
tnkflx

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 04:48:52 PM

I will donate 5 BTC extra in 2 days to Con for his work on integrating this into mainline. (Can't access my wallet for the next 2 days ;-))

5 BTC donated last night, thanks again Con!

ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 08:40:08 PM

Hi!

I just sent 5 Bitcoins to Kano!

Thanks!
Thiago
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2012, 09:48:54 PM

I'm making progress on my mining stats page.

http://mining-stats.stitthappens.com/

Right now, it is set to watch my miner, but I'll add a form to let you connect to any IP or port.  Everything under /api/ can already connect to anywhere (as long as the destination's firewall is open) so it won't take much work. I still need to see what happens when this points to a CPU miner

I'm planning on building some simple images out of these stats.  I might take the "api description" and turn it into a QR code (kind of like my avatar) with the MH/s underneath.

Would it be possible to get pool info via the RPC?  It would be nice to tell if a pool is down.  I was expecting that everything available via the current command line interface would also be available via the RPC but we just have "summary" and "devs"

kano
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 10:51:27 PM

I'm making progress on my mining stats page.

http://mining-stats.stitthappens.com/

Right now, it is set to watch my miner, but I'll add a form to let you connect to any IP or port.  Everything under /api/ can already connect to anywhere (as long as the destination's firewall is open) so it won't take much work. I still need to see what happens when this points to a CPU miner

I'm planning on building some simple images out of these stats.  I might take the "api description" and turn it into a QR code (kind of like my avatar) with the MH/s underneath.

Would it be possible to get pool info via the RPC?  It would be nice to tell if a pool is down.  I was expecting that everything available via the current command line interface would also be available via the RPC but we just have "summary" and "devs"
"pools" ... (that and the rest are documented in the README file)

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: