Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 08:19:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HASHRA CONTROLA on Raspberry Pi for Gridseed  (Read 39584 times)
maxzilla

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 08:34:22 PM

I note that you get the error that I do

bfgminer[30513]: JSON-RPC non method decode failed: (null)
bfgminer[30513]: Unknown stratum msg: {"id":null,"result":[],"error":true}

is this just a quirk of bfgminer?

The error comes from Pool 0, so wafflepool. The glitch is there
maxzilla

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 08:39:05 PM

which I think to be pretty decent quality hubs.  The ones I got shipped when I bought the units were trash 6 dollar hubs from china.  Not a single one of them worked properly.  I wasn't even able to boot a pi with 20 units.  Since I bought these hubs everything boots up and runs fine its just a matter of working out the shutdown issue.  Can I work around this problem by maybe entering a large number like 500 for an 'n' value of time between restarts on the GUI?  As I mentioned the issue seems only to occur when the GUI sends the command to restart.  A hard reboot works fine and they come right back up and start hashing.. Also would there be anyway to program the pi to hard reboot the machine every set amount of time?  Thanks for the help!

If you think the restart is causing the hanging, you can set this to 0, which means, it will never restart the mining process. But still, It's strange, It should run fine with 20 miners. I am using a different hub though. What model PI are you using ? the model B?
nogdog21

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 09:26:56 PM

which I think to be pretty decent quality hubs.  The ones I got shipped when I bought the units were trash 6 dollar hubs from china.  Not a single one of them worked properly.  I wasn't even able to boot a pi with 20 units.  Since I bought these hubs everything boots up and runs fine its just a matter of working out the shutdown issue.  Can I work around this problem by maybe entering a large number like 500 for an 'n' value of time between restarts on the GUI?  As I mentioned the issue seems only to occur when the GUI sends the command to restart.  A hard reboot works fine and they come right back up and start hashing.. Also would there be anyway to program the pi to hard reboot the machine every set amount of time?  Thanks for the help!

If you think the restart is causing the hanging, you can set this to 0, which means, it will never restart the mining process. But still, It's strange, It should run fine with 20 miners. I am using a different hub though. What model PI are you using ? the model B?

If model B has the dual USB ports then yes it is model B.  Yes I find this issue very odd as well... The only thing I can figure is that is must be the GUI is some way whether it is corrupt on the SD card or otherwise.  Would be odd for it to be corrupted across all 5 cards however...  Some people recommend daisy chaining the USB hubs together rather than utilizing both ports on the Pi but it doesnt seem to be an issue on startup so I dont see why that would cause a problem on a restart...  Also not that this is related but I notice when I go to manually restart the machines that the GUI has completely locked up and sends me to a nearly blank html page that looks like an empty repository or the like.  This will sometimes occur after a few minutes of mining and the GUI will not be available to me until a fresh hard boot of the Pi...  The machines continue mining through this issue so I never really thought it was a huge problem but perhaps my intermittent ability to access the GUI is related to a corrupted image or a bad kernel?
nogdog21

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 09:30:20 PM

If model B has the dual USB ports then yes it is model B.  Yes I find this issue very odd as well... The only thing I can figure is that is must be the GUI is some way whether it is corrupt on the SD card or otherwise.  Would be odd for it to be corrupted across all 5 cards however...  Some people recommend daisy chaining the USB hubs together rather than utilizing both ports on the Pi but it doesnt seem to be an issue on startup so I dont see why that would cause a problem on a restart...  Also not that this is related but I notice when I go to manually restart the machines that the GUI has completely locked up and sends me to a nearly blank html page that looks like an empty repository or the like.  This will sometimes occur after a few minutes of mining and the GUI will not be available to me until a fresh hard boot of the Pi...  The machines continue mining through this issue so I never really thought it was a huge problem but perhaps my intermittent ability to access the GUI is related to a corrupted image or a bad kernel?

In fact now that I think on it this inability to access the GUI may be why the machines only seem to fail when they attempt to restart after the programmed 'n' number of hours as the GUI has locked up and does not become an issue until this command is sent...  This seems plausible but I am still totally in the dark as to why the GUI would do such a thing... I guess that it points more toward a corrupted SD card or bad kernel of the Controla software however.
nogdog21

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 09:50:49 PM

I wanted to post a picture of the message I am seeing on the GUI when it locks up,  this may point to me having received trashy SD cards or possibly a corrupted image file on the cards.  I am going to use Apple Pi Baker to re image the SD cards to see if this fixes anything tonight.http://s1.postimg.org/9tqfsmr27/Screen_Shot_2014_04_16_at_5_47_20_PM.png
HASHRA

HASHRA - MINING TO THE MOON

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2014, 04:31:59 AM

I wanted to post a picture of the message I am seeing on the GUI when it locks up,  this may point to me having received trashy SD cards or possibly a corrupted image file on the cards.  I am going to use Apple Pi Baker to re image the SD cards to see if this fixes anything tonight.

Yes, think this is wise to do. Make you obviously click update firmware once downloaded to make sure you have the latest version running.

nogdog21

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 02:06:11 PM

I wanted to post a picture of the message I am seeing on the GUI when it locks up,  this may point to me having received trashy SD cards or possibly a corrupted image file on the cards.  I am going to use Apple Pi Baker to re image the SD cards to see if this fixes anything tonight.http://s1.postimg.org/9tqfsmr27/Screen_Shot_2014_04_16_at_5_47_20_PM.png

Yes, think this is wise to do. Make you obviously click update firmware once downloaded to make sure you have the latest version running.

Thanks for all the help unfortunately the re imaged Pi did not seem to resolve any issues, still recurring instability across the machines.  Could I have been sent bad SD cards somehow?  Really not sure where to go from here..
maxzilla

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 04:02:30 PM

I wanted to post a picture of the message I am seeing on the GUI when it locks up,  this may point to me having received trashy SD cards or possibly a corrupted image file on the cards.  I am going to use Apple Pi Baker to re image the SD cards to see if this fixes anything tonight.

Thanks for all the help unfortunately the re imaged Pi did not seem to resolve any issues, still recurring instability across the machines.  Could I have been sent bad SD cards somehow?  Really not sure where to go from here..

are you mining scrypt, sha or dual?
what's the freq?
what pool?
compumine

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 04:37:08 PM

I had the same issue after I did the last update. And again the other night. Stayed up all night trying to fix it.
Came across a very useful article and I followed the steps and it worked.  If you have 2 or more SD cards, its probably the image is corrupted on it. Which seems to happen from time to time with the PI.

Use one of your good cards and back up the image on it. "clone" it.  Then use the clone for any cards that might have a problem.  It worked for me.

*Image Removed*
bexwhitt

Activity: 50

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 07:38:33 PM

I am using the darkknight modified image updated

https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=18096.0

and that works fine without any lock ups, What I suggest you do is burn this image to an sd card update it then set your pools then make an image to copy to the sd cards that don't work.

His image the root password is darkknight but it is easily changed with the passwd command, just use halt to stop the pi before you remove the card to make an image.
nogdog21

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 10:06:27 PM

are you mining scrypt, sha or dual?
what's the freq?
what pool?

Scrypt ,Clevermining, 850mhz
nogdog21

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 10:11:16 PM

I had the same issue after I did the last update. And again the other night. Stayed up all night trying to fix it.
Came across a very useful article and I followed the steps and it worked.  If you have 2 or more SD cards, its probably the image is corrupted on it. Which seems to happen from time to time with the PI.

Use one of your good cards and back up the image on it. "clone" it.  Then use the clone for any cards that might have a problem.  It worked for me.

As I mentioned I re imaged the cards multiple times with no success.
nogdog21

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 10:32:47 PM

For the love of god does anyone have a fix for this?  I can't figure it out for my life...
AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:10:57 PM

i know you said you have re-imaged multiple times, but have you used the same image file each time? Maybe thats the issue. Try re-downloading the file and go from there if you havnt already.

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
nogdog21

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:28:48 PM

i know you said you have re-imaged multiple times, but have you used the same image file each time? Maybe thats the issue. Try re-downloading the file and go from there if you havnt already.

Thanks AmDD I will try that.  I am also buying some class 10 Sandisk 8gb cards to see if maybe I got a bad batch of NOOBS cards shipped with the Pi's...always a possibility.  Not much more I can try if that doesn't do the trick.

Anyone else having this issue with the Controla software or can I pretty safely say that I am having some type of hardware issue?  What is everyone using for USB hubs for 20 miners?
AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:39:06 PM

Thanks AmDD I will try that.  I am also buying some class 10 Sandisk 8gb cards to see if maybe I got a bad batch of NOOBS cards shipped with the Pi's...always a possibility.  Not much more I can try if that doesn't do the trick.

Anyone else having this issue with the Controla software or can I pretty safely say that I am having some type of hardware issue?  What is everyone using for USB hubs for 20 miners?

DOuble check that class 10 cards will work. I seem to remember back when the pis first came out that class 10 didnt work well. I could be wrong tho.

Im using 3 Rosewell powered hubs and have 22 seeds running on a single pi.

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
bexwhitt

Activity: 50

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:47:05 PM
Last edit: April 18, 2014, 09:10:58 AM by bexwhitt

Thanks AmDD I will try that.  I am also buying some class 10 Sandisk 8gb cards to see if maybe I got a bad batch of NOOBS cards shipped with the Pi's...always a possibility.  Not much more I can try if that doesn't do the trick.

Anyone else having this issue with the Controla software or can I pretty safely say that I am having some type of hardware issue?  What is everyone using for USB hubs for 20 miners?

It's unlikely that hub problems are crashing the pi all they will do is drop the gridseeds that said I am using the Etekcity® 10 Port USB 2.0 Hub Powered External with 3A Power though it may be called something else in your country.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ELPSEVW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Raspberry Pi crashes are down to a faulty/damaged SD card image or the pi not getting enough stable power
li_gangyi

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 08:16:54 AM

I've had PI crashes because of unstable power. A good way to tell if you're having unstable power is if the red power LED is flickering. TP1 and TP2 on the RPi should measure above 4.75V with the Pi active and hashing away. Best to use a known good power adapter (like a good original phone charger that's at least 1A capable).
ADutchGamer

Activity: 43

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 11:55:08 AM

I hope someone can help.

Card make and model: kingston SDV10/8GB

I get this same image on my pies but if I reboot them they simply won't start anymore. If I then remove power and read the SD card in a windows 8 laptop it is shown as a 2TB removable card in easeus partition master with a master boot record signature of FFFFFFFF so that is obviously broken.

Now if I try and have the software rebuild the MBR I get this message: "There are some errors occurred while writing sector on disk".
If I try to flash a new image onto it(with win32diskimager) I get the message that the disk is write protected.

Putting the card into a USB reader shows it as being 7.48GB in size(this is correct) and having a MBR signature of 55555555.
Nothing else changes.(still cannot write to it)

These have been running correct for one full week but after the last weekend the issues started.
This has so far happened to two cards on monday, 1 more on wednesday and now another one on friday so I would really like to know what is going on.
I already contacted kingston and they basically said that because I used the SD card in a raspberry they wouldn't be able to help me.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on/how to solve this?

Also if this is just the wrong model card or something: what do you reccomend?
nogdog21

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 01:12:22 PM

I've had PI crashes because of unstable power. A good way to tell if you're having unstable power is if the red power LED is flickering. TP1 and TP2 on the RPi should measure above 4.75V with the Pi active and hashing away. Best to use a known good power adapter (like a good original phone charger that's at least 1A capable).

Is it possible that the power adapters that came with the Pi are not suitable for stable power delivery?  I do have all my equipment plugged into the same outlet for each rig, maybe I should separate the Pi's to a different outlet.  Anyone recommend a power supply with a micro usb connection thats good quality for the Pi?  Thanks guys.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: