Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 06:42:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind version 0.5.0  (Read 12751 times)
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2164

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2011, 05:17:04 PM
Last edit: November 21, 2011, 08:39:09 PM by Gavin Andresen

Bitcoin version 0.5.0 is now available for download at:
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/bitcoin-0.5.0/

The major change for this release is a completely new graphical interface that uses the Qt user interface toolkit.

This release include German, Spanish, Spanish-Castilian, Norwegian and Dutch translations. More translations are welcome; join the project at Transifex if you can help:
  https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/bitcoin/

Please report bugs using the issue tracker at github:
  https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues

For Ubuntu users, there is a new ppa maintained by Matt Corallo which you can add to your system so that it will automatically keep bitcoin up-to-date.  Just type "sudo apt-add-repository ppa:bitcoin/bitcoin" in your terminal, then install the bitcoin-qt package.

MAJOR BUG FIX  (CVE-2011-4447)

The wallet encryption feature introduced in Bitcoin version 0.4.0 did not sufficiently secure the private keys. An attacker who
managed to get a copy of your encrypted wallet.dat file might be able to recover some or all of the unencrypted keys and steal the
associated coins.

If you have a previously encrypted wallet.dat, the first time you run bitcoin-qt or bitcoind the wallet will be rewritten, Bitcoin will
shut down, and you will be prompted to restart it to run with the new, properly encrypted file.

If you had a previously encrypted wallet.dat that might have been copied or stolen (for example, you backed it up to a public
location) you should send all of your bitcoins to yourself using a new bitcoin address and stop using any previously generated addresses.

Wallets encrypted with this version of Bitcoin are written properly.

Technical note: the encrypted wallet's 'keypool' will be regenerated the first time you request a new bitcoin address; to be certain that the
new private keys are properly backed up you should:

1. Run Bitcoin and let it rewrite the wallet.dat file

2. Run it again, then ask it for a new bitcoin address.
 Bitcoin-Qt: Address Book, then New Address...
 bitcoind: run the 'walletpassphrase' RPC command to unlock the wallet,  then run the 'getnewaddress' RPC command.

3. If your encrypted wallet.dat may have been copied or stolen, send  all of your bitcoins to the new bitcoin address.

4. Shut down Bitcoin, then backup the wallet.dat file.
 IMPORTANT: be sure to request a new bitcoin address before backing up, so that the 'keypool' is regenerated and backed up.

"Security in depth" is always a good idea, so choosing a secure location for the backup and/or encrypting the backup before uploading it is recommended. And as in previous releases, if your machine is infected by malware there are several ways an attacker might steal your bitcoins.

Thanks to Alan Reiner (etotheipi) for finding and reporting this bug.

MAJOR GUI CHANGES

"Splash" graphics at startup that show address/wallet/blockchain loading progress.

"Synchronizing with network" progress bar to show block-chain download progress.

Icons at the bottom of the window that show how well connected you are to the network, with tooltips to display details.

Drag and drop support for bitcoin: URIs on web pages.

Export transactions as a .csv file.

Many other GUI improvements, large and small.

RPC CHANGES

getmemorypool : new RPC command, provides everything needed to construct a block with a custom generation transaction and submit a solution

listsinceblock : new RPC command, list transactions since given block

signmessage/verifymessage : new RPC commands to sign a message with one of your private keys or verify that a message signed by the private key associated with a bitcoin address.

GENERAL CHANGES

Faster initial block download.

Thanks to everybody who contributed code or helped test this release:

Alan Reiner
Alex B
Alex Waters
Ang Iong Chun
Celil
Chris Howie
Chris Moore
David Joel Schwartz
David Perry
Forrest Voight
Gavin Andresen
Janne Pulkkinen
Jeff Garzik
JoelKatz
Khalahan
Luke Dashjr
Matt Corallo
Misbakh-Soloviev Vadim A
Nils Schneider
Pieter Wuille
Victor Leschuk
Wladimir J. van der Laan
celil-kj
cjdelisle
flower
globalcitizen
gmaxwell
kwaaak
mark
p2k

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gregwtmtno

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 05:36:24 PM

Thanks to everyone who worked hard on this release!
ThePok

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 07:08:31 PM

+1
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2011, 07:36:18 PM

Thanks!

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 07:37:58 PM

Thank you
Eveofwar

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 07:53:57 PM

Up and running !

Only complaint is that when in the Options (on Windows 7x64), when checking "Start Bitcoin on windows system startup" and then hitting Apply. There's a slight locking up of the program, then the box becomes unchecked.  I'm not sure it's actually doing anything.  Hitting Ok instead of Apply, yields the same results, except the Options dialog disappears and the checkbox is still checked.  When you re-open Options, the checkbox isn't checked anymore.

Might be something to look into Smiley
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 09:13:00 PM

Up and running !

Only complaint is that when in the Options (on Windows 7x64), when checking "Start Bitcoin on windows system startup" and then hitting Apply. There's a slight locking up of the program, then the box becomes unchecked.  I'm not sure it's actually doing anything.  Hitting Ok instead of Apply, yields the same results, except the Options dialog disappears and the checkbox is still checked.  When you re-open Options, the checkbox isn't checked anymore.

Seems for me like UAC preventing creation of startup entries since the Bitcoin is not Run As Administrator...

Will soon install 0.5.0 myself to check out new version and interface. And Thanks to Gavin and all other contributors for this new release!

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
Eveofwar

Activity: 406

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 09:16:01 PM

Up and running !

Seems for me like UAC preventing creation of startup entries since the Bitcoin is not Run As Administrator...

Will soon install 0.5.0 myself to check out new version and interface. And Thanks to Gavin and all other contributors for this new release!

I was thinking the same thing and after running as admin, the checkbox is still acting as described above.  Non-working.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 09:19:01 PM

Up and running !

I was thinking the same thing and after running as admin, the checkbox is still acting as described above.  Non-working.
Use sysinternals to check where it is trying to create the startup entry. I'm busy right now with other things, tomorrow I will take a closer look on new bitcoin version

Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 09:20:11 PM

Gavin, aren't you going to post the hashes signed with your private key?

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2011, 09:29:05 PM

i fell in love with the gui and all the new features, nice work ppl, thank you  Cheesy

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 09:30:45 PM

i fell in love with the gui and all the new features, nice work ppl, thank you  Cheesy
Tits or it did not happen! Seriously, I want to see screenshots of new Bitcoin client.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2011, 09:49:37 PM

Tits or it did not happen! Seriously, I want to see screenshots of new Bitcoin client.

you gotta be kidding me haha, to much features to start making shots

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 09:57:50 PM

Gavin and Dev team, thank you!!!!

0.5 is excellent. THIS is the client the world needed. Love the payment notifications in Windows, the lock/connections/status icons, and the splash screen with progress indicator. Really great work. Sincere thanks.

The new interface can have my babies.
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2164

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2011, 10:29:22 PM

The download directory contains them in a file called SHASUMS.asc:
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/bitcoin-0.5.0/SHASUMS.asc/download

... which I'll reproduce here just because it is easy:

Code:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

d80b811852744aaa23bc7eddd23cdac4d56bb50f  bitcoin-0.5.0-linux.tar.gz
86b0de71d601176ba49a84da59baf37ec3b561ec  bitcoin-0.5.0-macosx.dmg
4649a78d3a55843b7ced690694b9b241a26f4d93  bitcoin-0.5.0-win32-setup.exe
97ef546d923e75f309a19f8a52b07affc0942948  bitcoin-0.5.0-win32.zip
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (Darwin)

iEYEARECAAYFAk7Kdy8ACgkQdYgkL74406g2ogCgiMfivGR4xJOacx/DnYfIiBO0
tlgAmwRYs7eKIgz1v3t1tj1I3NrrBfij
=SFwh
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 10:34:15 PM

downloaded 0.5.0 win32 setup.exe for Windows 7.

interestingly, it forced me to use not my current password but my previous and original password for the wallet. 
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 10:39:59 PM

Up and running !

having same problem
David M

Activity: 476

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 10:51:46 PM

Nicely done!   Kudos to all the contributors.

The "Overview" looks great.
The status bar icons are good.

The client successfully re-wrote my wallet file and ask for a restart.

I only found one interface issue.

On the Send Window: The "Clear All" button does not have a tooltip.

Functionality issue:

I noticed that it requires the passphrase to create a new address.
This seems excessive and adds several seconds of time to create a new address as I have to extract the password from KeePass.

Once again, great job Gavin and all the coders and testers.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 11:25:22 PM

Up and running !

having same problem

had same problem with Mac version.

wow!  only took me 1/2h to download blockchain on my Macbook Pro!
MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2011, 11:33:54 PM

The download directory contains them in a file called SHASUMS.asc:
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/bitcoin-0.5.0/SHASUMS.asc/download

... which I'll reproduce here just because it is easy:

Code:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

d80b811852744aaa23bc7eddd23cdac4d56bb50f  bitcoin-0.5.0-linux.tar.gz
86b0de71d601176ba49a84da59baf37ec3b561ec  bitcoin-0.5.0-macosx.dmg
4649a78d3a55843b7ced690694b9b241a26f4d93  bitcoin-0.5.0-win32-setup.exe
97ef546d923e75f309a19f8a52b07affc0942948  bitcoin-0.5.0-win32.zip
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (Darwin)

iEYEARECAAYFAk7Kdy8ACgkQdYgkL74406g2ogCgiMfivGR4xJOacx/DnYfIiBO0
tlgAmwRYs7eKIgz1v3t1tj1I3NrrBfij
=SFwh
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Would not be better to sign each file individually with gpg so I can check it. Now I need to first check the checksum of file and then I need to check the signature of checksum message to see if the message is valid and then compare the two checksums by eye. It's like scratching the right ear with left hand.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: