Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:16:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GUIminer disappeared? WTF?  (Read 4809 times)
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 01:53:38 AM

A little insight would be appreciated.

I am trying to re-install all my Bitcoin stuff on a new harddrive.  Bitcoin client is up and running and re-downloading the blockchain as we speak.

I also reinstalled GUIminer.  The first time, I extracted it to my desktop and opened it and began mining with no problems.  Then, I attempted to move the folder from the desktop to my program files folder.  Then chaos ensued.  First, it told me I couldn't transfer the folder because I forgot to close my miner.  So, I closed my miner.  It still wouldn't let me transfer the files to that location.

So, I restarted my computer and tried a fresh extract to the program files folder.  It still wouldn't let me .... I get some long diagnostic message essentially telling me to fuck off and that it only likes to be extracted to the desktop.

So, I re-extracted to the desktop.  The problem is, when I try to open GUIminer, the program appears on my task bar but it won't open so I can see the app on my screen.  I even tried tossing my entire GUIminer folder in the recycle bin, dumping it, and redownloading and extracting.  The same problem keeps happening:  GUIminer appears as running in my task bar and in the processes list in the task manager.  Why is this happening?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
November 22, 2011, 02:10:03 AM

Update:   After repeated failure, I tried the obvious:  Copy and paste useless GUIminer files from my laptop to the new harddrive.  Not only did this work, but it let me create a GUIminer shortcut on my desktop linking to my program files folder.

I still have no idea why this idea worked but downloading and extracting didn't.
grubles

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

mistaken for gribble since 2011

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 12:04:59 PM

I think this happened to me on my Windows rig. What I did was opened up the task manager: Ctrl+Shift+Esc and went to the Applications tab. Then I right clicked on Guiminer and clicked Maximize. Then it showed up!

BM-NBi5PcH8BBqDVp7WSJe2pNgqEVvTjd6T
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: