Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:34:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Poloniex shows no remorse, so no forgiving  (Read 533 times)
countryfree (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
June 06, 2020, 09:42:35 PM

Exactly one year ago, something quite terrible happened. Poloniex stole some 1800 BTC from its customers. That's old news, but as I've lost more than one BTC int the affair, I'm not ready to forget.

Poloniex hasn't paid back, yet.
They've added a new splash screen recently, explaining lending is high risk.
This is 100% BS.
Several exchanges propose lending services, to allow their users to do margin trading.
It is safe, providing the exchange doesn't allow huge trades on smallish sh*tcoins, that very few people are trading. That is gross negligence.

Poloniex got burned, so did I, as all the other people who had part of their funds stolen.

As Poloniex hasn't paid back yet, I can only recommend newbies and all other bitcointalk users NOT TO USE Poloniex when they need an exchange.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
electronicash
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1049

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2020, 09:59:38 PM

it sounded like there is nothing else to do against the exchange to get your coins back. legal battle will cost more.

but don't use them any more. polo and SUN knows that even if your funds are sent back to you, you won't be using them anymore. so no more doing that just withdraw your funds and move away. it looks like it had devastated your heart already for a long time. forget polo.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
countryfree (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2020, 07:53:41 PM

Never say never...

They should consider the good publicity. Poloniex is paying back what it took from its customers. That would make headlines everywhere.

Bitcoin_Arena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1781

฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.

View Profile
June 07, 2020, 11:00:45 PM

it sounded like there is nothing else to do against the exchange to get your coins back. legal battle will cost more.
But can't customers who lost money due to the scandal get together and go on a legal battle? I think it would be cheaper that way

but don't use them any more. polo and SUN knows that even if your funds are sent back to you, you won't be using them anymore. so no more doing that just withdraw your funds and move away. it looks like it had devastated your heart already for a long time. forget polo.
Well i have an account with them but I am lucky that i never used their service or even deposited one sat in there.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 08, 2020, 12:02:47 AM

If it had been taken over by someone faintly legit then I'd expect some resolution at some point.

Since Justin Sun is behind the wheel, a sort of crypto herpes that infects anything he inserts his filthy little willy into, then it's safe to say it is case closed. In his favour of course. The only consolation is that Poloniex is continuing to fade. I certainly won't be using them ever again.
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
June 08, 2020, 07:39:06 PM

Never say never...

They should consider the good publicity. Poloniex is paying back what it took from its customers. That would make headlines everywhere.

i hate to be a pessimist but i see 2 obstacles to that:

1. this wasn't a huge scandal like, for instance, the bitfinex hack where every single customer lost 36% of their funds. refusal to pay that down would have destroyed their brand. poloniex was quick to point out that this lending fiasco only affected 0.4% of users, and a few months ago they made a tiny flat repayment that made 1000s of small victims whole. now there are a fairly small number of people sitting on the bulk of the losses---too few to make a big public stink that forces poloniex to action.

2. their march blog post made it clear to me that their #1 goal is deflecting blame onto circle. paying back the losses is a distant #2 goal. they are hiding behind the "under new management" label pretty hard.

countryfree (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2020, 09:48:12 PM

But can't customers who lost money due to the scandal get together and go on a legal battle? I think it would be cheaper that way

It's not easy.

Nobody paid attention to it, but when we registered at Poloniex we accepted their terms, which explained there couldn't be any kind of class action, or collective lawsuit against them.

Besides, the victims are all over the world. We'll just let them die slowly. The only thing which make me happy is that Circle (former owner) has lost way more than me with Poloniex.

Bitcoin_Arena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1781

฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.

View Profile
June 09, 2020, 09:36:07 PM

It's not easy.

Nobody paid attention to it, but when we registered at Poloniex we accepted their terms, which explained there couldn't be any kind of class action, or collective lawsuit against them.
Then that's bad news. It's such ugly imcidents that are making government regulators to become much more strict on exchanges and crypto currencies. I am pretty certain that some scared people are also running away from cryptocurrencies due to such heists.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
st4rk7

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2020, 12:54:43 PM

100% agreed. But lawyers still have to look into the issue. I believe T&C does not protect any company from a class action. We should attract more attention to the issue.
sunsilk

Activity: 2898
Merit: 620

View Profile
June 15, 2020, 07:27:21 PM

It's disappointing to see no action for this incident from a known large exchange. I have seen them to be at the peak of their popularity and they should have fixed problems that will actually hit their name badly.

I empathy op and also the others that's been affected by this poloniex fiasco. A year has passed by and their name didn't make sound anymore. Unlike Binance, they continue to resolve problems that their customers are dealing with in a quickly manner.

kan1

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2020, 06:15:50 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2020, 06:27:55 PM by kan1

Poloniex seems to be a joke.
At current prices 1800btc-180btc* = 1620BTC approximately 14mil EURO, and it used to be less than 7mil.

Imagine another exchange that after a year cannot pay back 7-14million Euros to get his customers and its fame back.

( * In order to gain time and sale themselves to a company that is not USA based they gave back 10% back)
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
June 16, 2020, 09:34:59 PM

At current prices 1800btc-180btc* = 1620BTC approximately 14mil EURO, and it used to be less than 7mil.

Imagine another exchange that after a year cannot pay back 7-14million Euros to get his customers and its fame back.

circle paid $400 million to acquire poloniex but likely sold it for pennies---that's the only scenario that explains it. circle probably priced the deficiency into the sale---they assumed sun's investment group would pay the debt---when in fact the buyers only used the debt as an angle to buy the exchange on the cheap.

absent some big windfall from future trading fees, i don't think they ever had any intention of paying lenders back in full.

countryfree (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2020, 09:15:54 AM

Unlike Binance, they continue to resolve problems that their customers are dealing with in a quickly manner.

That's a good point.
We may also compare with the tether affair at Bitfinex. That one was huge, some $800 million, but no Bitfinex customer has lost a single satoshi.

( * In order to gain time and sale themselves to a company that is not USA based they gave back 10% back)

I know that, it would not cost a fortune. It may even be a good investment, considering all the free positive publicity they would get.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: