Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:30:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WIKIPEDIA ACCEPTS BITCOIN DONATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 6004 times)
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 01:05:12 AM

I just sent them .25 BTC.

https://donate.wikimedia.org/w/Bitcoins
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stevenrm87

Activity: 403
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 03:02:39 AM

i still can't believe it took them this long to start accepting bitcoin.. they probably lost out on a lot of money for making such a dumb decision when bitpay and coinbase have been around to mitigate any sort of risk for them.

Its donations! what risk could there even be?

Selling fully funded Titan BTC Physical Bitcoins, Gold and SIlver - BTC Physical Bitcoins BTC PM if interested.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 04:16:05 AM

i still can't believe it took them this long to start accepting bitcoin.. they probably lost out on a lot of money for making such a dumb decision when bitpay and coinbase have been around to mitigate any sort of risk for them.

Its donations! what risk could there even be?

None. They were just acting like douchebags.

sed

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 04:21:39 AM

I believed it for a second.  It's too bad it's an april fools joke.  To be honest, IMHO, bitcoin and wikipedia really fit well together.  They're both about using technological advances to reimagine a traditional system.  They both have an element of disruption to the status quo.  With companies in place ready to convert btc to fiat, what's taking wikipedia so long?!
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 04:23:32 AM

I believed it for a second.  It's too bad it's an april fools joke.  To be honest, IMHO, bitcoin and wikipedia really fit well together.  They're both about using technological advances to reimagine a traditional system.  They both have an element of disruption to the status quo.  With companies in place ready to convert btc to fiat, what's taking wikipedia so long?!

It's a nercro post from 2011. Wikipedia just accepted them.

them https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Ways_to_Give/en#bitcoin

sed

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 04:28:29 AM

I believed it for a second.  It's too bad it's an april fools joke.  To be honest, IMHO, bitcoin and wikipedia really fit well together.  They're both about using technological advances to reimagine a traditional system.  They both have an element of disruption to the status quo.  With companies in place ready to convert btc to fiat, what's taking wikipedia so long?!

It's a nercro post from 2011. Wikipedia just accepted them.

them https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Ways_to_Give/en#bitcoin

Oh, whoa, thanks for the update, man.  I think that's great.  I know how I'll donate next time that Jimmy Wales pulls on my heartstrings.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 04:29:20 AM

Thanks for the above link. Hopefully they get it posted on their main donation page as well.

dKingston

Activity: 482

LAUNDER BITCOIN: https://BitLaunder.com

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 05:06:25 AM

The link does not work. "Error
404 – File not found".

LAUNDER & ANONYMIZE YOUR BITCOIN:
https://www.BitLaunder.com/?aid=41
Lorenzo

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 05:31:26 AM

I checked a few days ago and they weren't accepting Bitcoin. I thought that was a bit weird considering how so many other organizations and companies have started accepting Bitcoin. I checked back to the same section on their FAQ today and it looks like their policy has changed. They seem to be accepting Bitcoin donations now:

Why does the Wikimedia Foundation accept Bitcoin?

The Wikimedia Foundation, as a donor-driven organization, has a fiduciary duty to be responsible and prudent with its money, while striving to provide as many methods of donating as possible. Our donors indicated that they were interested in supporting us through Bitcoin, so after some investigation, we set up a method to accept those donations. See our blog post for more information about it.

Link (scroll down or search for "Bitcoin"):

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/FAQ/en

This is good news. Smiley
removebeforeflight

Activity: 696
Merit: 258

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Great news. After they said they were not
interested a short while back.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 08:29:37 AM

The link does not work. "Error
404 – File not found".

I meant it as a joke since Wikipedia doesn't accept Bitcoin, a few minutes later seeing that Wikimedie does. This thread was started on April Fools Day, hence my reply.
Anduck
Legendary

Activity: 1511
Merit: 1072

quack

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 09:24:28 AM

Again a good necrobump... Someone should make an analysis how correlating for example the speculation threads of 2011-2012 are compared to these days.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: