Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:15:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it worth hosting a lightning node?  (Read 923 times)
btcltcdigger (OP)

Activity: 2002
Merit: 756

To boldly go where no rabbit has gone before...

View Profile
June 17, 2020, 11:37:13 AM

So I've recently seen a video and read an article that explains how to host a lightning node on raspberry pi3.
Aside from the benefit of strengthening the ecosystem and helping the technology in general, is it financially worth doing?

Has anyone done it? Can you share some info on gains?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3833

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
June 17, 2020, 11:47:01 AM
Merited by PrimeNumber7 (1)

If you're looking to make money off it, then no. You're going to make so little(probably lower than collecting sats on faucets) that it isn't worth doing unless you just want to try it out.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
btcltcdigger (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2020, 12:05:58 PM

If you're looking to make money off it, then no. You're going to make so little(probably lower than collecting sats on faucets) that it isn't worth doing unless you just want to try it out.

Thats what i was thinking as well. Since lightning fees are usually 1-2 satoshis at best.
Ulven
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1127

View Profile
June 17, 2020, 12:30:57 PM

You can create a Lightning Network node to support the network and you cannot profit from it. The returns may be insufficient to pay the electricity bill, but you can gain enough experience and expertise regarding the technology.
btcltcdigger (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2020, 12:32:30 PM

You can create a Lightning Network node to support the network and you cannot profit from it. The returns may be insufficient to pay the electricity bill, but you can gain enough experience and expertise regarding the technology.

Electricity cost is insignificant, around $5 per month as it would run on raspberry. However, biggest investment would be a 500GB (1TB) usb hard disk where the blockchain would be stored.
jerrison

Activity: 1442
Merit: 106

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2020, 01:12:43 PM

i have been hearing of hosting the lightening network from a very close friend of mine in the space and i am checking out if it is well enough to get one's attention. how can one make money out of it and also what kind of devices are needed to host the nodes. and also the electricity bills involved, is it as sophisticated as the bitcoin network itself

btcltcdigger (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2020, 02:43:11 PM

i have been hearing of hosting the lightening network from a very close friend of mine in the space and i am checking out if it is well enough to get one's attention. how can one make money out of it and also what kind of devices are needed to host the nodes. and also the electricity bills involved, is it as sophisticated as the bitcoin network itself

You need a decent sized PC (1-2 cores, 4-8 GB ram, 500+ GB of disk).
Basically you set up bitcoin node there (wait about a week to sync) and then install the lightning part.

It's not easy-peasy yet it's not rocket science.
As for electricity, it depends on what you use
Rizzrack
Copper Member

Activity: 764
Merit: 700

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2020, 02:54:38 PM

Take this with a grain of salt as Xian01  tried this "experiment" in Jul 2018. Different values may have changed meantime

How much money can you make on running a Lightning Network node?

In order to start making money on running a node, you have to open a few channels and encourage others to open a channel back. Keep in mind that built-in autopilot might not guarantee you the best connections. Don’t expect to make a lot of money. Everything depends on the number of connections and your fee policy. The less you charge, the higher your chances to route a payment are. Don’t set the fee too low. You have to save up money for future channel re-balancing. User Xian01 opened almost 200 channels and earned barely 15 satoshis after 2 weeks (Reference).

btcltcdigger (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2020, 03:09:39 PM

Take this with a grain of salt as Xian01  tried this "experiment" in Jul 2018. Different values may have changed meantime

How much money can you make on running a Lightning Network node?

In order to start making money on running a node, you have to open a few channels and encourage others to open a channel back. Keep in mind that built-in autopilot might not guarantee you the best connections. Don’t expect to make a lot of money. Everything depends on the number of connections and your fee policy. The less you charge, the higher your chances to route a payment are. Don’t set the fee too low. You have to save up money for future channel re-balancing. User Xian01 opened almost 200 channels and earned barely 15 satoshis after 2 weeks (Reference).

Damn this is discouraging. 15 satoshi in 2 weeks...wouldn't even be worth the cost if BTC was $1m.
But oh well, maybe it picks up when more and more ppl use lightning
LoyceMobile

Activity: 1655
Merit: 687

LoyceV on the road. Or couch.

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2020, 03:13:50 PM

Instead of running a node to earn from, you can use it for your own payments.
I haven't installed a LN node yet, light wallets work fine for me.

LoyceV on the road Advertise here for LN Don't deal with this account (exception)
Advertise here for LN Tip my kids Exchange LN (20 coins). 1% fee. No KYC <€50/month
My useful topics: Meritt & Trust & Moreee Art Advertise here for LN Foru[url=https://bitcointalk.org/m
btcltcdigger (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2020, 03:47:57 PM

Instead of running a node to earn from, you can use it for your own payments.
I haven't installed a LN node yet, light wallets work fine for me.

I'll run it just to see how it work and the process behind it. as for my own payments, i don't do many of them, so few $ a month in transactions is ok for me at this point
avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1500

View Profile
June 18, 2020, 09:36:09 PM

So I've recently seen a video and read an article that explains how to host a lightning node on raspberry pi3.
Aside from the benefit of strengthening the ecosystem and helping the technology in general, is it financially worth doing?

Has anyone done it? Can you share some info on gains?

If you really want to help the Lightening network and the community in general, then yes go ahead with it.

However, if you are planing to make monetary gain from it, look for other investments. LN node wouldn't allow you to fetch much money because the fees in LN is very very low.

hope that makes sense!

Rath_
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131

View Profile
June 19, 2020, 11:50:56 PM
Merited by Rizzrack (3), TryNinja (1)

Damn this is discouraging. 15 satoshi in 2 weeks...wouldn't even be worth the cost if BTC was $1m.

The data from my post mentioned by Rizzrack is not really relevant; I should change that answer. Take this article from 2018 as an example for that year.

There are currently 25 nodes owned by LNbig.com. They provide about 52,19% (497,2647581 BTC out of 952,86 BTC) of the whole network's liquidity. I can't find any data on their recent earnings, but their Twitter account shares the amount of transactions and BTC passed through their nodes in the last 24 hours from time to time. You can clearly see the surge of the transactions in the last few months. Starting from 100-800 transactions in March and going to over 4000 in May. That is a huge change.

I have tried to calculate the possible earnings using the fee formula (basefee + (amount * feerate / 1000000) and the data from this tweet, but my results were far too off.

The 3rd March seems to have been the most profitable day. 161 routed transactions worth 2.24602985 BTC paid in total 219484 sat (0.00219484 BTC) in fees. At the current price of Bitcoin ($9300), it is about $20! Still, don't forget about the amount of coins locked up in all the nodes and the cost of opening transaction all channels.

The 24th January is even more impressive to me. 186 routed transactions worth 0.60161437 BTC paid in total 172378 sat (0.00172378 BTC) in fees. It is about $16 now.

Alex Bosworth shared that his node charged 0.25% per transaction and routed about $10,000/month which translates to earnings of about $25/month. He didn't say which node he was referring to, but since he is the CEO of yalls.org, we can assume that it was this one. That is actually interesting because of the significantly smaller capital.  

Coming back to earth, you are not going to earn much if your node doesn't provide enough liquidity. However, it is also worth mentioning that multipart payments are now available in all implementations. Once more wallets start supporting them, the earnings of well-connected, small nodes might increase.

Note: Keep in mind that 952,86 BTC is the amount of the funds locked up in public channels. Private channels are... private so we don't know how many of them exactly there are and what is their balance (although that might not be the case [5.4.2]). Such channels do not route any payments.
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6269

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2020, 03:02:04 PM

In addition to what everyone else said, having had several nodes up over the last 18 months or so, unless you have the time to devote to it, run a node in a box.
You are not going to make any BTC, but from a learning point you can start with either mynodebtc or raspiblitz and go from there.
They work out of the box and you can tinker. Once you are confident you can start yours from scratch.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
June 24, 2020, 06:36:51 PM
Last edit: June 24, 2020, 10:30:16 PM by franky1

Alex Bosworth shared that his node charged 0.25% per transaction and routed about $10,000/month which translates to earnings of about $25/month. He didn't say which node he was referring to, but since he is the CEO of yalls.org, we can assume that it was this one. That is actually interesting because of the significantly smaller capital.  

remember the dream. remember the promise of LN being the route to 'sub penny tx's
well onchain fees are ~$2 each due to dev stfling onchain progress
and a $30 LN is 0.1% - 0.25% = 3-9cents
so not even sub pennies.

remember in 2015 when people were saying their $30  was costing them 10cents onchain and things needed to be done to get it under a penny.
remember the promise of onchain discounts

seems the commercial businesses operating LN and have been pushing for LN for many years now. are already trying hard to get profits. all at the cost of user experience of a financial system that was suppose to break away from the corruption of the commercial fiat system

but hey.
many many people know of all the bugs of LN and are actually making more money by abusing the flaws than they do from operating an ethical business of economic benefit.

the unbanked countries of the world that earn 3-9 cents an hour are already laughing that LN is not fit for them.
long gone has the perception that bitcoin. is for the unbanked. because the commercial businesses stifled bitcoin to promote their LN network as the system for the unbanked. and already before LN is even out of beta testing LN is failing to fulfil that promise

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Rath_
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131

View Profile
June 24, 2020, 11:46:06 PM
Last edit: June 25, 2020, 12:29:19 PM by BitCryptex
Merited by mk4 (1)

remember the dream. remember the promise of LN being the route to 'sub penny tx's

That promise is still true. Users are free to use other channels. Both LNbig.com and Alex's node charge outrageously higher fees than other Lightning Network nodes. Most people would argue that they provide a lot of large channels and paths for payment routing. While the latter is true, the former will become less and less relevant over time because of multipart payments.

wel onchain fees are ~$2 each
and a $30 LN is 0.1 - 0.25% = 3-9cents
so not even sub pennies.

You're right. The LN fees for larger payments would be nowhere near subsatoshi level if all nodes charged 0.1%-0.25% per transaction. Longer routes would be completely cost-inefficient. I believe that there will be plenty of smaller nodes offering lower fees. Currently, most LN nodes route payments at the default settings. Here are some of my calculations. Assumptions: BTC price - $10.000, routed payment value - $30.

LN fee = basefee + (amount * feerate / 1000000)

Default settings:

Currently known LNbig.com settings:

In my opinion, 1200 sat for a $30 transaction is way too much. If such payment was divided into 4 equal parts and sent through 4 different paths consisting of "default nodes" then 1 hop would cost:

That is definitely more cost-efficient and I believe that's what is going to happen in the future to most payments. Some parts of the payments, will be sent through cheaper routes.

many many people know of all the bugs of LN and are actually making more money by abusing the flaws than they do from operating an ethical business of economic benefit.

What bugs exactly?
Indesses

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2020, 04:42:52 PM

How much money does it cost you to create that node?
Can I use my PC (CORE i7) to do this, or do I need a specialized hardware device?

I read on one of the forums that I can make returns from $ 10 to $ 30 a month?
If this is true and I can manage 3 nodes without having to sit in front of the computer for a long time, then perhaps it is considered a good source of income in some countries where there is electricity and equipment.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
June 25, 2020, 10:18:48 PM

here is the thing
the purpose of LN might well seem to be presented as offering fee's of 1 sat per channel hop
but multiple parties involved to multihop. multiply that

so although one node may only make 1 sat per swap.. reality is the distance from the sender to the receiver is like 10 hops away. so the fee for the sender is 10sat

one group of nodes are already setting themselves up as multiple points along a route
A<>B<>C<>D<>E<>F<>G<>H<>I<>J<>K
imagine it like this A wants to pay K
b will only get 1 sat for his part. C only 1 sat, D only 1 sat and so on
but it cost A 10 sat

now imagine if B D F H J all belonged to one person..
suddenly for that one payment from A-K that one person has earned 5 sats

next generation of game theory is that the 10 hop route costs A 10sat.. but the guy owning BDFHJ
then offers a route of
A-B-J-k for only 9 sat

so A prefers paying 9 instead of 10. and now the guy owning many chanels gets 9 sat instead of just 5
and making the independant nodes CEGI never get used and end up giving up using LN
but that was game theory back when the promotional media dribble was promising low sat fee's
with sat fees at 0.1% and most route being multiple hops. that total fee end to end is more than 0.1%
and if channel factories are clever enough they can get multiple 0.1% as shown above

have a nice day
and as for the bugs and flaws. i dont like to teach scammers how to scam. if your not smart enough to work it out you dont deserve it.
the LN devs themselves know of many flaws and yep they themselves have 'lost' funds from it
i say 'lost' because coins do not disapear off the blockchain. but silly bugs and bad rules make silly people give away their LN millsat funds to others. so that when a real bitcoin transaction occurs onchain its not in their favour. due to their silliness. they signed off on a broadcast transaction thats not in their favour due to the silliness of the LN contracts offchain(facepalm)

LN is not a safe network and not a network that should even be considered on the same neighbourhood as bitcoin. it does not deserve the fame/trust that the bitcoin network has

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Wind_FURY
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1825

View Profile
June 26, 2020, 11:23:56 AM

While LN fees will be cheaper than any PoW onchain coin it pretends to help,
there are some Proof of Stake alts that have fixed onchain fees lower than LN by huge margins.

POS has its own problems. It's a perpetual motion machine , https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion

LN was designed for banks, if you are not a bank, you won't profit from running an LN hub.

An open source software/technology designed for banks? Banks will buy Bitcoin, and stake it to provide liquidity, and efficiency in Lightning?

██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
.SHUFFLE.COM..███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
...Next Generation Crypto Casino...
Wind_FURY
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1825

View Profile
June 27, 2020, 08:35:27 AM

While LN fees will be cheaper than any PoW onchain coin it pretends to help,
there are some Proof of Stake alts that have fixed onchain fees lower than LN by huge margins.

POS has its own problems. It's a perpetual motion machine , https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion

LN was designed for banks, if you are not a bank, you won't profit from running an LN hub.

An open source software/technology designed for banks? Banks will buy Bitcoin, and stake it to provide liquidity, and efficiency in Lightning?

No one on a PoS network is going bankrupt because of it.

Read what is a Perpetual Motion Machine. That's POS. Security without burning energy can't be an assurance that POS is secure.

POS coins are actually what banks/exchanges like, because they can stake users' coins/have political leverage on the network without cost. Cool

You can't say the same for Bitcoin.

Roll Eyes

██████████████████████