Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 04:31:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How the wallet is hacked, what should I do?  (Read 863 times)
Malam90

Activity: 1099
Merit: 116

View Profile
July 16, 2020, 01:20:10 AM

Many people fall victim to a hack and this causes them to lose all of their cryptocurrencies
But how do the hackers enter the wallets that have a very high level of security?
Unfortunately, it depends on the ignorance of some people, not on software methods.
For example: When a message arrives in an e-mail requesting the private key, many beginners will respond to this message and send their key, which is really sad.

Here are some instructions that might help beginners:
1- Save your private key in an offline device
2- Distribute your cryptocurrencies to several govern orates to avoid losing all of them if one of the wallets is hacked
3- Do not reply to any message from an unknown source
4- Create an e-mail address for airdrops and Bounty campaigns

Do you have any other suggestions?

Don't open any suspicious link from your email. Maximum wallet can be hacked due to the malicius mail they have opened and logged in their wallet using that link. If you use private key in offline device, set up 2fa for both mobile and google authenticator, i will save your wallet from hacking.
Inkdatar

Activity: 1582
Merit: 523

View Profile
July 16, 2020, 05:54:08 AM

I have some suggestions for you.

Divide your coins into 2 parts: the part for spending and the part for holding

The part for spending can be held on a mobile wallet always near you and always ready to be used. Remember to have a backup seed in case you lose the phone.

The part for holding should always be offline. You don't use the computer it's held on or you buy a hardware wallet for it.
This is also a nice suggestions when it comes of storing of your crypto into a wallet. To always not store your coins in one wallet only, it is important to have a backup. Most newbies don't know what to do on their wallet and mistakenly provide the private keys. Never click any link and unknown email since hackers attack also thru email. No doubt about the hardware wallet it's safe because I'm using this for long now.
lixer

Activity: 2520
Merit: 586

View Profile
July 17, 2020, 06:07:16 AM

First you have to make sure that you’re making use of the best cryptocurrency wallet that is created by a team that takes their work seriously, I’m saying this for those that choose to make use of exchange wallets like Coinbase, because exchanges can be compromised and their users will be affected.

Then if you’re the type of person that wants to be making use of wallets where you’re fully in control, wallets that stores your keys on your system offline, then you have to apply some serious measures and be careful with how you use your computer and follow the steps that the op has listed in his post.

death69

Activity: 1204
Merit: 545

View Profile
July 17, 2020, 06:25:40 AM

Using cryptocurrency requires you to become more responsible for your own stuff. There is no such thing like bank in this world and therefore, you need to keep your money save and avoid using any things which can cause your computer to be hacked. It is some how hard to beginner but as time pass, I believe that people can understand the concept of how to lock their bitcoin in safely in their wallet.

We can prevent ourselves from being hacked by several ways. You can use a hardware wallet which is really trustful and reliable. You can also use a web wallet (however, web wallet can turn into a scammer. who know?) with Authy 2-Factor Authentication including text message, secret code or email. Our living world contains lot of risks, just try to be as much careful as you can
DoubleEdgeEX

Activity: 112
Merit: 17

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2020, 06:48:52 AM

Some suggestions from my side:

Use a secure email provider like Protonmail and use more than one address there
Use a secure VPN
Double Check the emails you get, e. g. binance.com is not biinance.com or in telegram groups, dood0815 is noot d00d0815
Have your coins stored at a cold wallet of a big exchange that has an insurance policy that could cover a hack
In case you are really have a huge number of BTC, go to a custody provider and store your coins there.
Eugenar

Activity: 1274
Merit: 278

View Profile
July 17, 2020, 07:07:41 AM

That's why keeping your private keys is really important, you should keep it on yourself, you should keep it with your own, do not tell it to anyone and to your friends as well. No one should know that thing including with your family especially if you don't have a strong bond with them.

That is why securing your wallet is really important, you should have a secured and safest wallet because it holds all of your money, once it gets hacked even your seed you cant do things to recover it. You should also have back up with your wallet so you can still recover it once it gets hacked by others.
crustycrab666

Activity: 560
Merit: 104

terra-credit.com

View Profile
July 17, 2020, 11:43:05 PM

-
This really needs to be a concern, separating the main account (which is used for things that are personal and important, for example, exchange accounts) and reserve accounts (which are used to join airdrop and bounty). Usually, scammers make use of e-mail that you have used for airdrop or bounties to spread fake information, fake websites, etc.

Other suggestions, make sure you check whether the event or airdrop or give away, etc. is official or not by asking directly to the official account of the platform listed.

That is why securing your wallet is really important, you should have a secured and safest wallet because it holds all of your money, once it gets hacked even your seed you cant do things to recover it. You should also have back up with your wallet so you can still recover it once it gets hacked by others.
There are some people who pay less attention to this. They save a lot of BTC in an online wallet, even though it is very risky, they should be able to buy safer wallet hardware, but it is not implemented. So it is very important to have knowledge before investing, for asset security.

► TerraCredit ◄ ♦ TerraCredit - An Effective Alternative To Cash Since 2018 ♦ ► TerraCredit ◄
───●●───●●───●●───●●───●●─[   Bounty Detective   ]─●●───●●───●●───●●───●●───
Website|Twitter|Facebook|LinkedIn|Telegram|Whitepaper
gamer4156

Activity: 1008
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2020, 01:22:38 AM

The reason for the wallet being hacked and this topic has come up in almost every way to avoid it. The number of scams is increasing day by day and a lot of people are facing it.
I'll just share my personal experience. Even if he is a very dear person or someone close to you, even if he is your best friend, it would be better not to share these things with him. I have suffered losses because of this.
Debonaire217

Activity: 644
Merit: 364

In Code We Trust

View Profile
July 18, 2020, 02:35:10 AM

Most of the time, victims falls to what so called, cyber engineering. It is the process of socially gaining vulnerabilities even if the system has a strong security measures. Basically, if the user can access it, manipulating the user itself gives you an access through social interaction. I believe, what happened to twitter hacking is that the hacker used social engineering, of course the support or any representative provided useful information that is why some accounts get's compromised.
Negotiation

Activity: 1064
Merit: 267

Need a Helping hand? https://tinyurl.com/2p94uabm

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2020, 02:46:23 AM

Hacking means accessing a network or unauthorized access to a computer to steal or alter information or files The reason why wallets are hacked is that we keep our personal information on social media or in any group, the chances of being hacked are very high.

It would not be right to think that you are safe with just a password to save yourself from hackers Passwords seem to be hacked almost all the time.

Use two-step authentication or two levels of security Many websites or services now offer two levels of security The two-tier verification process requires the user to use a regular password on his account as well as another code on the smartphone and tab when logging in It provides an additional level of security. So as long as you have a mobile phone in your hand you can be sure that no one else can access the account Many services like Apple Google Facebook Dropbox have this two-level verification process Whenever you try to log in to a new device you will be asked for a secret code after entering the password It will only get instant on your phone If the hacker knows your password he will not be able to hack the account until he knows the code that came on your mobile.
ufaiz50

Activity: 1666
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 18, 2020, 03:54:53 AM

There are many ways to hack if you have targeted certain people to hack, this is not only phishing but also malware and selling some information. For people who store large amounts of digital assets, the hardware wallet is the best way, but it also has a weakness where we must be careful about storing that hardware. The most important thing in my opinion is the level of vigilance in things that are suspicious and do not easily put trust in someone. Many cases of fraud often occur because it is easily manipulated and put trust.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
Benefactor

Activity: 1260
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 18, 2020, 05:35:26 AM

Wrote about an important topic. There are many people who have lost their wallet only because of a mistake. One such mistake is enough to get lost in the online world. Enable 2-factor for your account and keep private key carefully. I think if these two things are right, your account is much more secure.

▄▄███▄    ▄███▄▄
     ▄▀▀    █    █    ▀▀▄
    ██    ▄▄▀    ▀▄▄    ██
    ▀▄▄▄█▀▀        ▀▀█▄▄▄▀
  ▄▄█▀█▄              ▄█▀█▄▄
▄█▀     ▀▀█▄     ▄▄█▀▀     ▀█▄
██          ▀█▄▄█▀          ██
▀█▄     ▄▄▄█▀▀  ▀▀▀▄▄▄     ▄█▀
  ▀█▄▄▄▀▀            ▀▀▄▄▄█▀
   █▀▀▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▀▀█
   ██  ▀▀▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▀  ██
    ▀▄     █      █     ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▀      ▀▄▄▄▀▀
.cogwise.
  ▄
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █

█
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █
  ▀
.Hyper-charge your trading with intelligent insights.  ▄
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █

█
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █
  ▀
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄███
███▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄███
███▀               ████
███▄              █████
████▄            ██████
█████▄▄        ▄███████
████▄       ▄██████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀

▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████▀▀█████
███████████▀▀▀    █████
██████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ██████
███▄     ▄█▀     ██████
██████▄ █▀      ███████
███████▌▐       ███████
████████ ▄██▄  ████████
██████████████▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀

▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
█████  ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▀███████
█████  █████  ██▄▀█████
█████  █▀▀██▄▄▄▄  █████
█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████

█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████
█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████
█████  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀

verita1

Activity: 1358
Merit: 81

View Profile
July 18, 2020, 05:53:43 AM

Perhaps these recommendations have already been said, but they are the ones that I use to prevent my wallet from being hacked. I mainly use 2FA and 3FA for my crypto transactions.

It is essential to learn how to surf the Internet safely to avoid malicious websites. Use a recognized antivirus, most of them can help you visit safe sites.

People who use crypto should also pay more attention when doing their transactions, avoid using unreliable sites. Preferably go to reputable websites to avoid unrecoverable losses, double check when you transact.

Princeofpoetry

Activity: 686
Merit: 28

PUGG.io

View Profile
July 18, 2020, 01:01:26 PM

I add a little your stagment, always clear the search history browsing, do not install suspicious applications, and always update the antivirus. The fact is that many wallets have been hacked because of minor mistakes such as entering private key on websites and applications that are not trusted.

Emitdama

Activity: 1895
Merit: 328

View Profile
July 18, 2020, 05:46:52 PM

Any newbie that follows the steps that the op has listed here wouldn’t have any problem with these hackers. There are lots of ways that hackers can gain access to your cryptocurrency wallet, they might hack your device or system, they can send you phishing emails, they can use keyloggers/trojans against you, they can create fake wallets, they can impersonate you, use fake advertisements, or use your clipboard.

Explaining all these things is a long story, but just as the op has said, do not reply emails from unknown people (unsolicited mails), and don’t download browser extensions because as I said they can use it mess up your clipboard. There has been complaints of people sending to the wrong address which is not the address they copied.
DarkDays
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1189

View Profile
July 22, 2020, 10:22:26 AM

It's extremely simple guys... Don't send your private keys, seed phrase, or other access credentials to anybody for any reason...

Nobody from any reputable firm will ask you for this information, and it's not necessary to solve any information you're having. It's not like a credit card where they need the information to pull up your account, if you hand over your private keys/seed phrase/recovery mnemonic, then you are essentially handing over ownership of your funds.

Always verify the PGP signature of the software you are downloading, and never accept any excuses for why this signature verification fails.

If in doubt, always ask somebody trustworthy before thinking about handing over your private details, there are plenty of people on this forum who would be happy to help. Just create a thread in the beginners and help section.
cheezcarls

Activity: 2254
Merit: 658

Revolutionized copy gaming platform

View Profile
July 22, 2020, 11:45:13 AM

Similar happened to me when I was not yet into cryptocurrency and blockchain industry. My bank pin was compromised due to phishing email, which they have a “fake advisory about my account” and took me to the site where it matches the interface of the real one. As I entered my pin and submitted, it leads me to a fake page. I hurried to the bank and checked my ATM, and found out that almost $400 were stolen and I quickly blocked my card.

It was a lesson that I would never forget several years ago. Same thing applies to our private keys. Any strategy that requires you to enter your private key or mnemonic phrases (except if it’s the real wallet) are considered your funds “bye-bye”.

Pla
                             ▄██████████▌
████             ▐███████████▌
  ████         ▐████    ███
   ▐████     ▐████     ███       ███      ▂▃▅
     ████    ████        ███      ███████
        ███    ████        ███      ███████
         ▐██    ████        ███      ███          
                 █████         ███      ███
              █████▌         ███      ███
           █████▌            ███      ███
     ██████▌
███████
ade.win
██            ██
██            ██
██            ██
██         ██
  ▌         ██
  ▌   ██    ██
        ██    ██
        ██      ▌
        ██      ▌
        ██
        ██
.R E V O L U T I O N A R Y   C O P Y   G A M I N G   P L A T F O R M  .
██            ██
██            ██
██            ██
██         ██ 
  ▌         ██
  ▌   ██    ██
        ██    ██
        ██      ▌
        ██      ▌
        ██
        ██
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█ ████▀▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀████ █
█ █████▄  █ ████▀  ▄█████ █
█ ██████▄  █ █▀  ▄███████ █
█ ███████▄  █  ▄█████████ █
█ ████████▄  █ ██████████ █
█ ██████▀  ▄█▄ █ ████████ █
█ ████▀  ▄███▄  █ ███████ █
█ ██▀   ██████▄  █ ██████ █
█ ██▄▄▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█████ █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
Play Smart Win Big!
bitbollo
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 3509

Nec Recisa Recedit

View Profile
July 22, 2020, 12:22:51 PM

take a look of glacier protocol https://glacierprotocol.org/ this has been defined the state of art for bitcoin cold storage.
plus I think it's very useful for anyone since it allow people to know all potential risk involved for bitcoin storage/usage.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
isaac_clarke22

Activity: 1596
Merit: 264

View Profile
July 22, 2020, 01:37:28 PM

Many people fall victim to a hack and this causes them to lose all of their cryptocurrencies
But how do the hackers enter the wallets that have a very high level of security?
Unfortunately, it depends on the ignorance of some people, not on software methods.
For example: When a message arrives in an e-mail requesting the private key, many beginners will respond to this message and send their key, which is really sad.

Here are some instructions that might help beginners:
1- Save your private key in an offline device
2- Distribute your cryptocurrencies to several govern orates to avoid losing all of them if one of the wallets is hacked
3- Do not reply to any message from an unknown source

Do you have any other suggestions?

Don't use an online wallet to add it up also.
There are sites that would just require you to login in your usual login credentials (email and password), and pretty much those wallets are quite vulnerable to hacks.

For #4, when you register to an airdrop and you got an email for that, be cautious to the "Claim Tokens", etc thing.
Back in my days, a site that hides themselves as MEW (that's what I use for temporary claiming of  tokens only) just to make you put your wallet file into their site.
wozzek23

Activity: 1568
Merit: 283

View Profile
July 24, 2020, 04:53:37 PM

The 2 factor authentication can also be a means for securing your wallet, we shouldn’t overlook that. We should try to apply every possible security measures to secure our cryptocurrency wallets. If your wallet is allowing for two factor authentication, you should go ahead and activate it, but do not use email and SMS, those ones would be useless if the hacker knows your phone and is able to Port your number to another device or they have your email and can hack into it. So, if you’re going to be using two factor authentication it’s best to go with Google authenticator or hardware dongle.

Even we are having lots of awareness initiatives against hacking and scamming, lots of people are still sharing about their bad experience due to lack of knowledge. I'm not sure how it will be going to be possible to enlighten each and every people who are into cryptocurrency at least (when not possible to cover all people who are into internet) regarding this.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: