Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:08:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It's quiet... *too* quiet!  (Read 3035 times)
zhoutong
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2011, 04:36:36 PM

Going back to the theme of it's too quiet, I have noticed the BTC price chart for the last week where everything seems quite steady.

There are no precipitous drops, a good point of resistance in the $2.20 range, gradual 5% to 10% increase over a few days, a bit of a gradual sell off, and then it repeats.

I know this can change any time, especially with manipulator intervention, but isn't this nice, for now??

SJ

If the price is $100 then it's really nice to have such stability. But for now, the potential instability is still terrible for commerce.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
StewartJ

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 05:35:36 PM

If the price is $100 then it's really nice to have such stability. But for now, the potential instability is still terrible for commerce.

We are at nearly $2.00 as we have been gradually declining so that BTC is finding it's true value.

Maybe it will go down to $1.50 and even further down to $1.00. Who knows where it will reset itself.

Is this not stability? I would think $100 would be way too volatile.
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 07:46:38 PM

Merchants usually don't like to receive $10 for their sale... make that $9.50 a minute later.  No, $8.50 5 minutes later. 

Zimbabwe super hyper inflation - and you're right, they didn't like it.
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 07:51:12 PM

Inflation != volatility. Bitcoin never technically hyperinflated (>50% monthly depreciation) but it was still a bit annoying trading physical goods.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 07:52:33 PM

Who else has the sense that another largish drop is on the horizon?

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 08:00:35 PM

Inflation != volatility. Bitcoin never technically hyperinflated (>50% monthly depreciation) but it was still a bit annoying trading physical goods.

I agree, it tends to be one direction only.

Maybe you should try playing electricity spot trading - more volatile than almost anything else I know.  $100 one hour and $20,000 the next, or $0.01.  Hard to tell.
bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 08:10:44 PM

I meant, that people should be working on technologies and business models that allow merchants to function in a society with volatile markets. The most obvious example of this is a service that allows the immediate conversion of bitcoins to a more stable currency or commodity (USD). Since that already exists, what about high frequency pricing? Allow merchants to update prices on the fly based on the prices of competitors and prices upstream in their supply lines. I'm just thinking out loud here.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2011, 08:28:41 PM

Who else has the sense that another largish drop is on the horizon?

Yes but I don't think that will be today. The 'rally' hasn't spiked yet and the buyer side don't look particular inviting to short into.
But a week from now I think we will finally go under 2.
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 08:50:06 PM

It's interesting time indeed - the bid walls never have been bigger, but on the other hand it seems that the rallies are smaller and smaller even though bouncing back from the huge support.  The conference is on the horizon - but on the other hand the EURo fiasco has started another wave of getting rid of all risky investments.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
November 23, 2011, 10:05:09 PM

It's interesting time indeed - the bid walls never have been bigger, but on the other hand it seems that the rallies are smaller and smaller even though bouncing back from the huge support.  The conference is on the horizon - but on the other hand the EURo fiasco has started another wave of getting rid of all risky investments.

The question for buyers, I think, is what the owner of those bid walls is up to.  We recently saw a very similar situation where what appeared to happen was that a giant bid wall was place, people's confidence went up and they therefore placed bids ahead of the bid wall, and when the bids in front of the bid wall was high enough somebody sold into exactly everything in front of the wall and then the wall was taken down and the price fell far below the wall.  I think because of that there's some hesitancy, for good reason, to buy up very far.  There's a good chance the same strategy is being played right now and the seller is just waiting for enough depth before he sells off another large chunk.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2011, 10:36:33 PM

The question for buyers, I think, is what the owner of those bid walls is up to.  We recently saw a very similar situation where what appeared to happen was that a giant bid wall was place, people's confidence went up and they therefore placed bids ahead of the bid wall, and when the bids in front of the bid wall was high enough somebody sold into exactly everything in front of the wall and then the wall was taken down and the price fell far below the wall.  I think because of that there's some hesitancy, for good reason, to buy up very far.  There's a good chance the same strategy is being played right now and the seller is just waiting for enough depth before he sells off another large chunk.

That's also my suspicion, add to this that everytime a larger sale is up front it is quickly gobbled up, it seems that is a very profitable trading strategy.

To make it sour for him we must just be faster Wink
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: