Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:42:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Warning Exodus Wallet SCAM on Google Play!  (Read 271 times)
Viaggiatore (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2020, 10:48:02 AM

I don't know if this is the right place, please MOD move it in the right place if it is the case.
Yesterday I was scammed by a Google Play app which looks exactly like the original Exodus one. They used original screenshot, original description, the name is "Exodus Wallet" while the true app is "Exodus Crypto Wallet". This is the scam link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.exoduswallet.exoduswalletmanager

While I literally reported them 2 minutes after being scammed (so like 24 hours ago) Google didn't remove it from the Google Play yet!

My wallet was emptied, luckily I didn't have very much crypto on it but I'd like to sue Google nevertheless for allowing such a thing on their store.

So please if you are a lawyer on this matter on you can suggest me someone write me in private.

And stay away from that app!

Thank you
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Akiko

Activity: 896
Merit: 198

View Profile
July 10, 2020, 11:20:06 AM

I check the review of the application its look likes they got a good ratings there .

But its looks like just fake rating you should also give negative rate and give feedback to the app so they will not have any victim again.

For download they only got 50  download as of today so its only means this is just a new application make in app store,.

You should always be aware about simple things like how many people use the app before using it or transferring your money.

Viaggiatore (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2020, 11:37:49 AM

I check the review of the application its look likes they got a good ratings there .

But its looks like just fake rating you should also give negative rate and give feedback to the app so they will not have any victim again.

For download they only got 50  download as of today so its only means this is just a new application make in app store,.

You should always be aware about simple things like how many people use the app before using it or transferring your money.

I know and always did like you said, BUT you know airplanes crash even if they are best way to travel, shit happens for many reasons. In "normal" condition I'd never use that app BUT it happened. Nevertheless those kind of SCAM should never pass trough, even a stupid filter checking just apps names similarities and their download rate should point immediately to possible scam apps. YET it seems Google Experts Geniuses are not able to implement a filter like that.
sunsilk

Activity: 2898
Merit: 620

View Profile
July 10, 2020, 04:42:59 PM

The installs now are up to 100+ and it's very alarming that there will be more people that they can scam. How did you reported the app? have you looked into this?

https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/contact/takedown

If you download wallet apps, make sure that you look first to their official websites as they are putting the correct and official link for their apps.

Send a message and inform exodus what happened to you so they can help taking down that fake app.

https://support.exodus.io/

This is the legit app with 100,000+ installs.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=exodusmovement.exodus

Viaggiatore (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2020, 05:23:12 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2020, 06:10:43 PM by Viaggiatore

The installs now are up to 100+ and it's very alarming that there will be more people that they can scam. How did you reported the app? have you looked into this?

https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/contact/takedown

If you download wallet apps, make sure that you look first to their official websites as they are putting the correct and official link for their apps.

Send a message and inform exodus what happened to you so they can help taking down that fake app.

https://support.exodus.io/

This is the legit app with 100,000+ installs.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=exodusmovement.exodus

Hello, I already did all of the things you said. Google guy keeps on writing to me saying "their experts are working on the case and they will let me know asap" but while we speak the app is still there. I'm starting to think they will silently remove it and never admit their responsibility. Exodous guy was very kind and told me they did their part to take the app down but again it's STILL THERE!

EDIT: they just take the app down at last
sunsilk

View Profile
July 11, 2020, 03:19:57 PM

Hello, I already did all of the things you said. Google guy keeps on writing to me saying "their experts are working on the case and they will let me know asap" but while we speak the app is still there. I'm starting to think they will silently remove it and never admit their responsibility. Exodous guy was very kind and told me they did their part to take the app down but again it's STILL THERE!

EDIT: they just take the app down at last
I should say congratulations to you. This was made due to your efforts and experience. I'm hoping that google play should be stricter next time if they have been receiving tons of reports from these fraudsters. They should get the hint from these reports and do something in filtering listing into their platform.

Because once an app of these scammers is removed, they'll create a new fake and imitation from the popular wallets or exchanges to scam new users again.

adzino
Copper Member

Activity: 2968
Merit: 574

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
July 11, 2020, 03:32:09 PM

Reviews can be faked. People can buy review. Or people can use bots to review their apps. Its not that hard. Pay few cents and everyone will jump in to make some fake reviews.
You will see similarities between those reviews which will help you distinguish the fake ones.
And why would you download a well known app that has only 50 downloads (downloads can be faked too though Sad )?
Well, to be honest, the guy who downloaded should be blamed too for being careless.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
posi

Activity: 2240
Merit: 579

Degens.bet - On-chain 1000x Futures

View Profile
July 11, 2020, 10:11:42 PM

Reviews can be faked. People can buy review. Or people can use bots to review their apps. Its not that hard. Pay few cents and everyone will jump in to make some fake reviews.
You will see similarities between those reviews which will help you distinguish the fake ones.
And why would you download a well known app that has only 50 downloads (downloads can be faked too though Sad )?
Well, to be honest, the guy who downloaded should be blamed too for being careless.
Review can be fake on the google play store or the project owner can use an airdrop which will make people do hype review about the project. However, the topic used by the OP seems to be misleading because it was pointing to exodus wallet not the scammer and even if the wallet downloaded is genuine, mobile wallet is among vulnerable wallet.
In the meantime, the OP himself can save others from been the victim of this scammer by making negative review about it on playstore while he report the situation to real Exodus wallet team.

.DEGENS.BET.     ████████████████
     ████████████████
██████████████████████████
██   ████████████████   ██
███  ████████████████  ███
 ▀██████████████████████▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
      ▀████████████▀
         ████████
        ▄▄██████▄▄
      ██████████████
    ██████████████████
      ██
      ██
  ██  ██  ██       ██
    █████████████████
█████████████████  ██  ██
                 ██████
                   ██
           ██
           ██
       ██  ██  ██
         ██████
           ██
      ██
    ██████
  ██  ██  ███████████
      █████████████████
█████████████████  ██  ██
                   ██
                   ██
           ██
         ██████
       ██  ██  ██
           ██
           ██
..TRADE NOW..
Akiko

Activity: 896
Merit: 198

View Profile
July 12, 2020, 08:42:50 AM

Review can be fake on the google play store or the project owner can use an airdrop which will make people do hype review about the project. However, the topic used by the OP seems to be misleading because it was pointing to exodus wallet not the scammer and even if the wallet downloaded is genuine, mobile wallet is among vulnerable wallet.
In the meantime, the OP himself can save others from been the victim of this scammer by making negative review about it on playstore while he report the situation to real Exodus wallet team.

Its point to the application scam wallet which is he use to store his btc a fake wallet.

The application is down already and we can't see  it in Google play  it's a good so no one else to fall victim to this fake application.

Google should be sensitive for everyapplication develop to the platform before accepting it to be available in Google play store so the platform will not be used for future scam.

Mulann2

Activity: 686
Merit: 35

View Profile
July 16, 2020, 06:57:11 PM

Thank you @op for reporting this both in Google and here on forum so that people can be careful, there are many applications in the Google play store of which it is now possible to have some with bad intentions, am sure the Google team will do what is required to prevent this from happening again.
BayAngelo

Activity: 882
Merit: 17

View Profile
July 16, 2020, 10:44:53 PM

You  best choice is t continue reporting on google to pull it down. send a mail to google and produce enough evidence that it is a scam app. you can also contact exodus project about another app jeopardizing there product. with that, google might listen and remove it. else you can not do anything and it will get worst. person, i use the Mewwallet for my ethereum transcation.

Cryptoababe

Activity: 695
Merit: 18

Do it For Better Humanity

View Profile
July 16, 2020, 10:45:17 PM

There are many scam apps on playstore and also scam extensions on chrome store. Sorry for being a victim and thanks for reporting this. If the developer of the app can be fetched out by Google, this will be great. Wish you the best in getting your funds back.

Now, I think I will always take all normal precautions before using any wallet app on playstore.
Like checking reviews of other users
Checking the developer info
Checking related apps and so on.
pealr12

Activity: 1946
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 17, 2020, 12:56:44 PM

There are many scam apps on playstore and also scam extensions on chrome store. Sorry for being a victim and thanks for reporting this. If the developer of the app can be fetched out by Google, this will be great. Wish you the best in getting your funds back.

Now, I think I will always take all normal precautions before using any wallet app on playstore.
Yes youre right playstore has a lot of fake and scam apps ,  better to read first all the reviews and dont just donwload  without reading the comments.  If you find a fake app on google report them immediately.
sunsilk

View Profile
July 17, 2020, 03:21:07 PM

You can also report them if you find one. That's what OP did when found out that the app was a scam and a copy of Exodus. You're right that there are many of them and problem is with google play, they don't check those apps that they publish.

Whether it is legit or not and a scam, they don't have precautions or additional requirements for them to add it into their store. A lot of apps have been reported to them and they have to be aware of it but still, no actions from them although they remove those apps if they are reported.

carlisle1

Activity: 2744
Merit: 541

Campaign Management?"Hhampuz" is the Man

View Profile
July 18, 2020, 06:44:09 AM

had  already  checked  also.
Obviously fake  ratings  because exaggerated  and  nothing in compliance about the ratings.so basically  this  is shit site.

Actually  what He need to do always is to BOOKMARK each important  site  that  you  will be needing  to visit  from time to time.
Krislaw

Activity: 1204
Merit: 388

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2020, 04:59:38 PM

I'll keep saying this, Google needs to be strict about the app they add to their store. Especially Finance apps. They aren't like Apple.
Better to go to official site to download rather than use search bar in Play Store because one might get list of apps with same name there.
They used original screenshot, original description, the name is "Exodus Wallet" while the true app is "Exodus Crypto Wallet". This is the scam link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.exoduswallet.exoduswalletmanager

I checked the link but it keeps loading on Play Store without any result. Seems it has or delisted or something. Can someone confirm?
Cortive

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 19, 2020, 09:55:57 AM

I don't know if this is the right place, please MOD move it in the right place if it is the case.
Yesterday I was scammed by a Google Play app which looks exactly like the original Exodus one. They used original screenshot, original description, the name is "Exodus Wallet" while the true app is "Exodus Crypto Wallet". This is the scam link:

While I literally reported them 2 minutes after being scammed (so like 24 hours ago) Google didn't remove it from the Google Play yet!

My wallet was emptied, luckily I didn't have very much crypto on it but I'd like to sue Google nevertheless for allowing such a thing on their store.

So please if you are a lawyer on this matter on you can suggest me someone write me in private.

And stay away from that app!

Thank you

Everyone learns from the mistakes of strangers and friends. A very unpleasant situation. But why didn't you check the Information on the official website of exodus about the availability of such an application on other platforms? Huh
Viaggiatore (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2020, 10:53:49 PM

I would also add: never deal with your cryptos while you are tired! Because that's what happened: I didn't sleep the night before, I was really tired and my brain was working at 10% -> shit happened
Viaggiatore (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2020, 10:55:17 PM

Everyone learns from the mistakes of strangers and friends. A very unpleasant situation. But why didn't you check the Information on the official website of exodus about the availability of such an application on other platforms? Huh

As I said I was really tired and wasn't paying attention at all at what I was doing.
Viaggiatore (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2020, 11:07:07 PM

Just to let you know that actually Google didn't remove it, but was the "developer" who delisted it, I guess because his scam wasn't downloaded anymore (I wrote a review saying t was a scam).
Also Google never got back to me to answer to this simple question: was the scam doing something else? Was my phone compromised? Never a answer.
When I told them I was going to sue them they just disappeared.
Doing some search on the web (with DuckDuckGo because Google will never show these results to you) I saw that almost every year there is a Exodus scam on Google Play (maybe always the same "app") and guess what: Google doesn't give a shit! They just don't care!
I must admit I was a little bit shocked by their attitude, but the reality is that on Google Play you can find any kind of scam and publishing them is really a piece of cake.

I guess I learnt my lesson in the hardest way
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: