Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:00:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Did Peter Schiff just turn bullish on Bitcoin?  (Read 1637 times)
Herp (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 02:47:19 PM

Check out this Jeff Berwick video where he's saying Peter Schiff turned bullish on Bitcoin in recent weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao-8TzrM5SM&feature=youtu.be&t=42m50s

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2014, 03:02:34 PM

maybe he finally did his homework  Roll Eyes

BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 03:04:35 PM

Wow that's weird.  We just posted the same thread at the exact same time LOL.

Were you listening to the podcast while making breakfast on a saturday morning too?  LOL!

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
nakaone

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 03:17:02 PM

no matter if he is: the key argument here is, that people outside computer sciences had no idea about what bitcoin is, when they get the broader picture they are mostly overwhelmed. for most it is some weird anonymous internet money.

the future question will no bet if bitcoin/cryptocurrency works: the question will be if decentralized systems work better than centralized systems. or to put it in other words. how much centralization do people need
codezilla

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 03:51:04 PM

I listen to his show daily, and trust me, he's definitely not. On yesterday's show he re-affirmed his long standing position: Bitcoin holders should either spend them or sell them. He also said he believes it will continue downward, and the rate of decline will soon pick up. I listened to his advice at around $800 USD and spent some, to my benefit, but he hasn't convinced me to cash out yet. Not sure why, after watching it just dwindle & dwindle, showing little sign of a turnaround. Regarding the video link by OP- that host is full of shit. Peter Schiff is not pro-Bitcoin, not in the slightest, and never has been. I refuse to believe that Schiff publicly is against Bitcoin, to his paid subscribers, but is speaking favorably of Bitcoin behind closed doors to some internet geek. Not a chance. If Schiff believed in Bitcoin, he would be selling Bitcoin. Just like he does with precious metals.
Herp (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 08:08:20 PM

I listen to his show daily, and trust me, he's definitely not. On yesterday's show he re-affirmed his long standing position: Bitcoin holders should either spend them or sell them. He also said he believes it will continue downward, and the rate of decline will soon pick up. I listened to his advice at around $800 USD and spent some, to my benefit, but he hasn't convinced me to cash out yet. Not sure why, after watching it just dwindle & dwindle, showing little sign of a turnaround. Regarding the video link by OP- that host is full of shit. Peter Schiff is not pro-Bitcoin, not in the slightest, and never has been. I refuse to believe that Schiff publicly is against Bitcoin, to his paid subscribers, but is speaking favorably of Bitcoin behind closed doors to some internet geek. Not a chance. If Schiff believed in Bitcoin, he would be selling Bitcoin. Just like he does with precious metals.

There might be a disconnect between what he says to his audience and what he admits to in private. Either Jeff Berwick is lying or Peter Schiff is.

████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

Herp (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 08:17:40 PM

Wow that's weird.  We just posted the same thread at the exact same time LOL.

Were you listening to the podcast while making breakfast on a saturday morning too?  LOL!

-B-

Actually podcast isn't that new, released March 19th. You've posted your thread 15 min after I posted this one.

Guess great minds think alike.  Tongue

████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

Singlebyte

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 09:40:43 PM

There is an on going thread on Peter in the economics section.  It has posts of all of his related bitcoin discussions.  Will be interesting to see if overtime he really does change.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=222998.0
Herp (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 09:42:46 PM

There is an on going thread on Peter in the economics section.  It has posts of all of his related bitcoin discussions.  Will be interesting to see if overtime he really does change.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=222998.0

It's very likely he admits to people in private discussions he's positive on Bitcoin while not admitting it to his audience since he has conflicting interests. Big chunk of his business is gold and silver focused, including gold pegged accounts and such.

████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

bomb7

Activity: 62
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:49:04 PM

Hearsay from someone who has an interest in promoting Bitcoin. If I didn`t hear it from Schiff, then as far as I`m concerned he didn`t say it.
Herp (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:57:01 PM

Hearsay from someone who has an interest in promoting Bitcoin. If I didn`t hear it from Schiff, then as far as I`m concerned he didn`t say it.

Right. Because Schiff would never tell a lie to serve his own interests.

████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:20:49 AM

I listen to his show daily, and trust me, he's definitely not. On yesterday's show he re-affirmed his long standing position: Bitcoin holders should either spend them or sell them. He also said he believes it will continue downward, and the rate of decline will soon pick up. I listened to his advice at around $800 USD and spent some, to my benefit, but he hasn't convinced me to cash out yet. Not sure why, after watching it just dwindle & dwindle, showing little sign of a turnaround.

But that raises the question of why you got into Bitcoin, right? If it was just an investment, then I think you should hold on longer (at least a year or two) but I understand the sentiment.

But for many of us, it's at least in part ideological, or a statement of our values, or to have some wealth stored outside the system. Those reasons aren't really tied to the USD price per Bitcoin.

I certainly don't think of selling my gold just because the price dips (and boy has it dipped lately!) It's probably not something one should be in to make a quick buck; I think Bitcoin should be viewed in a similar light.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
BittBurger

Activity: 924

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 02:39:37 AM

Why are your apostrophe's backwards?  Is that the cool way to type?

I don't see any reason to call the guy a liar.  Unlike Schiff, he doesn't blatantly posture bullshit just to protect his business.  Schiff was a horrible actor, and every time he tried to argue with someone about why Bitcoin sucks, he would miserably fail, and stumble over his own words.   Because he himself didn't believe what he was saying.  I posted two threads about this in the past.  It was painfully obvious he was just ranting because he considered Bitcoin a competitor to his Gold business.  Not because he actually had a problem with Bitcoin.  So i am not in the slightest surprised if he "secretly" acknowledges how awesome it is.  He's just being honest.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Herp (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 02:36:36 PM

Why are your apostrophe's backwards?  Is that the cool way to type?

I don't see any reason to call the guy a liar.  Unlike Schiff, he doesn't blatantly posture bullshit just to protect his business.  Schiff was a horrible actor, and every time he tried to argue with someone about why Bitcoin sucks, he would miserably fail, and stumble over his own words.   Because he himself didn't believe what he was saying.  I posted two threads about this in the past.  It was painfully obvious he was just ranting because he considered Bitcoin a competitor to his Gold business.  Not because he actually had a problem with Bitcoin.  So i am not in the slightest surprised if he "secretly" acknowledges how awesome it is.  He's just being honest.

-B-

Exactly. One can easily tell by watching him attacking Bitcoin in his videos. Once person he's debating makes a good point he just bails on his previous argument and starts to look at another potential "bitcoin flaw". His whole issue with Bitcoin stinks from a mile away.

████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 03:04:12 PM

I too listen to the show daily, and agree with your comment. I have heard him say something to the effect of "The dollar is so weak, even bitcoin is rallying today", with the implication that people are selling their dollars so hard that they are chasing worthless internet money.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
Herp (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 03:38:57 PM

I too listen to the show daily, and agree with your comment. I have heard him say something to the effect of "The dollar is so weak, even bitcoin is rallying today", with the implication that people are selling their dollars so hard that they are chasing worthless internet money.

This doesn't mean Schiff was honest and genuine. It only means he's playing the part of Bitcoin antagonist and that he does so consistently during the show.

████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████