Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:41:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin Sentiment Indicator  (Read 4805 times)
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 10:49:16 PM

Voted, 82.9 now

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 11:15:56 PM

So like uhm, this isn't a contrarian indicator... yet?  right?

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 12:02:24 AM

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 12:22:02 AM

so quiet around here.  looks like everyone went to the bank to get their USD's over to mtgox.
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 12:22:52 AM

Right, not yet.  S3025 explained that when sentiment matches the trend, you get third wave behavior.  He's talking about a wave down in his example, but its equally true for waves up.

I see your point that news are overall very bearish even in mainstream, but this fits to the third wave behavior.. third waves are "the point of recognition" where finally all is negatie AND prices fall (and the contrarian view does not work anymore, expect for short term bounces from oversold conditions)

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 12:26:29 AM

Right, not yet.  S3025 explained that when sentiment matches the trend, you get third wave behavior.  He's talking about a wave down in his example, but its equally true for waves up.

I see your point that news are overall very bearish even in mainstream, but this fits to the third wave behavior.. third waves are "the point of recognition" where finally all is negatie AND prices fall (and the contrarian view does not work anymore, expect for short term bounces from oversold conditions)

Stellar!

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
bitcoinBull
Legendary

rippleFanatic

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 12:37:50 AM

Stellar!

Looks like the rise is starting to accelerate; we'll probably gap up.  Too much faster and we'll go parabolic (even on a log scale).

Its at the end of a trend when the sentiment is a contrarian indicator.  That's when you get the fifth and final wave before the reversal.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 12:40:39 AM

just remember things don't look so imposing when you look at it this way.
we got WAY oversold due to shorting:

ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 12:48:04 AM

just remember things don't look so imposing when you look at it this way.
we got WAY oversold due to shorting:

Now Nagle's going like, "oh wait, that's not how a bubble is supposed to chart!"  Grin

(BFL)^2 < 0
bitcoinBull
Legendary

rippleFanatic

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 12:54:13 AM

One other thing: the weekly dollar volume.  The current week has already surpassed recent ones by going over $2m.  But it just started on Jan 2.  By the time the week is over, the dollar volume could be in the top three for the year.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 12:58:06 AM

looks like everyone's back from the bank!!!!!
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 03:33:08 AM

i think it looks a bit more imposing when you look at at this way...

we should have tested 1 on the way down imho, but all the serious volume didn't start until the first bubble was up around $5-$10, that means there is an awful lot of people who think that $2 is a bargain.

So maybe ~$2 is resistance now. It's getting pretty hard to stick to my conviction that we are going down again before we go back up, I'm dying to jump on board this train!!!

Patience and discipline, just gotta keep telling myself.... and if i'm wrong well... meh

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 03:38:35 AM

Patience and discipline, just gotta keep telling myself.... and if i'm wrong well... meh

If you're wrong, you just missed the opportunity of a lifetime.

If you're right, well... meh.  It will go up again.

(BFL)^2 < 0
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 03:40:28 AM

its the former. i lived thru the Spring minute by minute and this is exactly the same, except this time we go further.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 03:43:14 AM

its the former. i lived thru the Spring minute by minute and this is exactly the same, except this time we go further.

I don't see any reason why we're going to go further.  I could see the price getting to $10, but I expect more profit taking this time.  What makes you think we're going further?

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 03:46:44 AM

I don't see any reason why we're going to go further.  I could see the price getting to $10, but I expect more profit taking this time.  What makes you think we're going further?

read my blog.  the amount of fiat money circulating round the world is enormous.  and we're about to pump it up even more.  Bitcoin is such a tiny mkt now but yet a revolutionary idea that fits well with the internet age.

the gold and silver mkt is done, the euro is in trouble, the Fed is about to embark on QE3 so ppl are looking for a store of value.  Bitcoin is IT.
Litt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 03:49:14 AM

Missing an opportunity of a lifetime... I don't know if I could just go meh and forget about it.  Wink

I'm sure a lot of people are already going "meh" about not buying at $5 when they had the chance earlier today. Forget last Oct-Dec..
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 03:57:27 AM

So everyone keeps saying... *everyone* - that seems a bit too bullish for me.

My long term holdings remain intact (lucky enough to acquire those at ~$1) Not quite as many as I'd like, I was aiming to add to them but I ended up with all US Dollars with the whole move from bitcoinica, once I'd got it all back on gox things were starting to look a bit price at $5 so i just set my bids and wait. Shame none of them got filled Cheesy

I can't really buy now, If I miss out on profits in a rally from 6-10 I've missed out on a 66% opportunity. A bit disappointing.

If I can pick up some coin around $2-$3 and then take it to $10, that would be far more exciting! This is just my play money we are talking about here after all Smiley

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
bitcoinBull
Legendary

rippleFanatic

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 05:05:05 AM

I'm also concerned about topping at $10, but not overly concerned for a couple of reasons.  First is that the vast majority of the "profit taking" will be USD that stays in play; sellers will use it to accumulate more bitcoins on a dip.  Secondly, I think the market is much healthier now (compared to April-June 2011), because there is much more automated market making.  I'm not sure to what extent there was any back then.  The market makers now are smarter, more experienced, and very well funded.

Additionally, this time the market already has a history with a range of an all-time-high of $32 and had the time to find its bottom at $2.  Those were two completely unknowns before.  If the long-term trend is up, then the new bottom will be higher than $2, take $5 or $10 as low estimates.  If this wave doesn't bring a new all-time-high, then I would expect the market to trade in the $5/$10-$32 range for a while before it makes a longer-term decision.

Another factual difference is that the April-June 2011 rally started from a new all-time-high of $1.10.  This rally is simply reversing a downtrend that started at $32, so in all likelihood it should pass $10 even easier than before.  And I would expect it to make new highs sooner or later, if the long-term trend is up.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 12:05:35 PM

Missing an opportunity of a lifetime... I don't know if I could just go meh and forget about it.  Wink

I'm sure a lot of people are already going "meh" about not buying at $5 when they had the chance earlier today. Forget last Oct-Dec..
Expect a lot of threads about whining about the EARLY ADOPTERS "omgomg they bought btc at 2$, it's unfair, now it's 10$!!!!"

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: