Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 04:34:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] BitcoinSpinner  (Read 44995 times)
woodlandmonk

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:17:41 PM

I've been using BitcoinSpinner for a while now and like it quite a bit. I think I've read through most of this thread, so I apologize if I missed the answer to this: What happens if the backend server goes away? Can I still retrieve my coins somehow?

If the answer is no, then the one feature I'd like to request is the ability to change the backend server that the app connects to (and if a special backend server is needed, can that software be open sourced?). In the event that you and/or your server go away, I would hate to loose access to whatever coins I have stored in my wallet. Would something like that even be possible?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:50:32 PM

I've been using BitcoinSpinner for a while now and like it quite a bit. I think I've read through most of this thread, so I apologize if I missed the answer to this: What happens if the backend server goes away? Can I still retrieve my coins somehow?

If the answer is no, then the one feature I'd like to request is the ability to change the backend server that the app connects to (and if a special backend server is needed, can that software be open sourced?). In the event that you and/or your server go away, I would hate to loose access to whatever coins I have stored in my wallet. Would something like that even be possible?
Besides "backup wallet" option, there is the "export private key" under "advanced" settings. I have not tested the functionality myself, but if this is the actual private key, we should be able to import it into any client.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 06:21:29 PM

Besides "backup wallet" option, there is the "export private key" under "advanced" settings. I have not tested the functionality myself, but if this is the actual private key, we should be able to import it into any client.
Niko is right. The ability to export your private key has been there from the first release. For one of my spending wallet I have exported the private key and imported it in a blockchain.info wallet. This way I can access the same funds from my BitcoinSpinner Android phone and blockchain.info iPhone app.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 06:27:16 PM

So now that you read this thread, join us on the other thread. Yes, I suggested to lock either but they are both live.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
kyoo

Activity: 39

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 06:20:58 PM

Hi everyone,

I've just seen that on FDroid since 01.05.13 there is a new version of BitcoinSpinner 0.8.2b. At the moment I'm using 0.7.3b as this was the latest version on FDroid. FDroid tells me that version 0.8.2b is signed with another key than 0.7.3b.
Is this to be expected?
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 11:23:12 AM

Hi everyone,

I've just seen that on FDroid since 01.05.13 there is a new version of BitcoinSpinner 0.8.2b. At the moment I'm using 0.7.3b as this was the latest version on FDroid. FDroid tells me that version 0.8.2b is signed with another key than 0.7.3b.
Is this to be expected?

I have mot compiled or signed the FDriod distribution and cannot vouche for it. However I have been in contact with a developer at FDroid on some build related questions, and I have no reason to believe that their distribution is evil.

If the FDriod distribution is signed with a different key than their previous version you can only upgrade by uninstalling and reinstalling. Keep in mind that you MUST make a backup before uninstalling (You should always do that anyway)

The distribution found here and on the Google market place are the officially signed ones using the same key since the initial release and allow you to seamlessly upgrade. Those I can vouche for.

teek

Activity: 667
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 05:36:22 AM

Any chance of porting this over to blackberry 10? 

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 05:46:01 AM

Any chance of porting this over to blackberry 10? 

I don't have a blackberry and frankly don't have the time to do it. The sources are open and if you know a skilled blackberry developer up for it I'd be happy to give him my support.

kyoo

Activity: 39

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 07:41:30 PM

Hi everyone,

Is this to be expected?

I have mot compiled or signed the FDriod distribution and cannot vouche for it. However I have been in contact with a developer at FDroid on some build related questions, and I have no reason to believe that their distribution is evil.

If the FDriod distribution is signed with a different key than their previous version you can only upgrade by uninstalling and reinstalling. Keep in mind that you MUST make a backup before uninstalling (You should always do that anyway)

The distribution found here and on the Google market place are the officially signed ones using the same key since the initial release and allow you to seamlessly upgrade. Those I can vouche for.

Thx for the quick info!
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 2100

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 03:37:01 AM
Last edit: May 08, 2013, 03:55:32 AM by Richy_T

Could someone give me some tips on importing this into Eclipse? I checked out from the repository OK, created a new workspace but when I try and import the project, either using "Existing Projects into Workspace" or "Existing Android Code Into Workspace", I get errors both ways.

Nevermind, I think I got it figured out. Just some generic windows weirdness and then problems because the .classpath file was hidden (i.e. more windows weirdness).

Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 05:16:51 AM

Still not having luck. It seems to start with

05-08 05:10:26.493: I/dalvikvm(1464): Failed resolving Lcom/miracleas/bitcoin_spinner/SendBitcoinsActivity; interface 119 'Lcom/bccapi/ng/async/AbstractCallbackHandler;'
05-08 05:10:26.493: W/dalvikvm(1464): Link of class 'Lcom/miracleas/bitcoin_spinner/SendBitcoinsActivity;' failed
05-08 05:10:26.493: E/dalvikvm(1464): Could not find class 'com.miracleas.bitcoin_spinner.SendBitcoinsActivity', referenced from method com.miracleas.bitcoin_spinner.Main.onCreate
05-08 05:10:26.493: W/dalvikvm(1464): VFY: unable to resolve const-class 416 (Lcom/miracleas/bitcoin_spinner/SendBitcoinsActivity;) in Lcom/miracleas/bitcoin_spinner/Main;
05-08 05:10:26.493: D/dalvikvm(1464): VFY: replacing opcode 0x1c at 0x0036
05-08 05:10:26.503: W/dalvikvm(1464): VFY: unable to resolve static field 9 (productionNetwork) in Lcom/bccapi/bitlib/model/NetworkParameters;
05-08 05:10:26.503: D/dalvikvm(1464): VFY: replacing opcode 0x62 at 0x005f
05-08 05:10:26.523: D/AndroidRuntime(1464): Shutting down VM
05-08 05:10:26.523: W/dalvikvm(1464): threadid=1: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x40a71930)

Search turned up a few suggestions but none of them helped. I'm sure it's something simple though. A little help?

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 06:36:04 AM

Still not having luck. It seems to start with

05-08 05:10:26.493: I/dalvikvm(1464): Failed resolving Lcom/miracleas/bitcoin_spinner/SendBitcoinsActivity; interface 119 'Lcom/bccapi/ng/async/AbstractCallbackHandler;'
05-08 05:10:26.493: W/dalvikvm(1464): Link of class 'Lcom/miracleas/bitcoin_spinner/SendBitcoinsActivity;' failed
05-08 05:10:26.493: E/dalvikvm(1464): Could not find class 'com.miracleas.bitcoin_spinner.SendBitcoinsActivity', referenced from method com.miracleas.bitcoin_spinner.Main.onCreate
05-08 05:10:26.493: W/dalvikvm(1464): VFY: unable to resolve const-class 416 (Lcom/miracleas/bitcoin_spinner/SendBitcoinsActivity;) in Lcom/miracleas/bitcoin_spinner/Main;
05-08 05:10:26.493: D/dalvikvm(1464): VFY: replacing opcode 0x1c at 0x0036
05-08 05:10:26.503: W/dalvikvm(1464): VFY: unable to resolve static field 9 (productionNetwork) in Lcom/bccapi/bitlib/model/NetworkParameters;
05-08 05:10:26.503: D/dalvikvm(1464): VFY: replacing opcode 0x62 at 0x005f
05-08 05:10:26.523: D/AndroidRuntime(1464): Shutting down VM
05-08 05:10:26.523: W/dalvikvm(1464): threadid=1: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x40a71930)

Search turned up a few suggestions but none of them helped. I'm sure it's something simple though. A little help?

I use MOTODEV Studio with Android 2.1 SDK installed
I have checked out the code in .../source and have .../source/BitcoinSpinner, .../source/bccapi, .../source/bitlib

1) Create new workspace
2) File -> Import -> General -> Existing Projects into workspace -> Select root directory: .../source -> Finish (three projects selected)
3) In package explorer find: BitcoinSpinner -> src -> miracleas.bitcoin_spinner -> Main.java -> Right click -> Run As -> Android Application

You probably want to run it on a real device instead of an emulator, as it is faster and lets you use the camera for scanning barcodes.

Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 02:27:04 PM

Hmm. Not sure why it is not working in Eclipse then. It was pretty much the same process.

Not too worried about the scanning for my purposes so the emulator is fine from that point-of-view. This appears to be some weird link-type error though. I'll have to look in the apk and see if the classes are present. I don't see any reason they wouldn't be though.

Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 03:34:29 AM
Last edit: May 09, 2013, 03:53:12 AM by Richy_T

Yep, no classes in the APK. That'll do it. Have to figure out what the deal is there.

Nevermind, looks like they're in the classes.dex probably. So still head-scratching.

Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 02:55:11 AM

I managed to get it going by deleting the bccapi and bitthing folders from the workspace and copying the source files directly into the bitcoinspinner source folder. Obviously not optimal but it will do for now Cheesy. The only other thing was that some of the calls involving string and charset were apparently incompatible with the API level (something to do with needing api level 9). Setting the min and target sdk levels fixed that though and it's up and running. Now to mine some coins into that address and try and catch what's going on.

Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 12:45:53 AM
Last edit: May 11, 2013, 03:18:50 AM by Richy_T

Not sure if this is a bug in bitcoinspinner or just my cobbled-together setup. I mined some coins to the address and they showed up OK but when I click on "View transaction history", I get a null pointer error in AsynchronousApi.java, line 171. I wonder if because there *are* transactions but none of them can be displayed, I get this error. I'll try sending some coins there through regular transactions and see what that does.

s is null from map.get(item.hash);

There are two entries in map.table, 0 and 1 and both are null. I assume that this is related to transactions.array which is in a similar state.

I'll try and work out what's going on as I dig in deeper but I just thought this might be something of interest to you.

Edit: Sending more coins to the wallet did not help with the null pointer. So next up I have created a new wallet which received sent coins OK and next I will try to mine to it.

It's looking to my like BCCAPI isn't returning any info when the info for the mined transactions is being requested. But I'm not sure on that yet. More to discover...

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:00:09 PM

Not sure if this is a bug in bitcoinspinner or just my cobbled-together setup. I mined some coins to the address and they showed up OK but when I click on "View transaction history", I get a null pointer error in AsynchronousApi.java, line 171. I wonder if because there *are* transactions but none of them can be displayed, I get this error. I'll try sending some coins there through regular transactions and see what that does.

There are two entries in map.table, 0 and 1 and both are null. I assume that this is related to transactions.array which is in a similar state.

I'll try and work out what's going on as I dig in deeper but I just thought this might be something of interest to you.

Edit: Sending more coins to the wallet did not help with the null pointer. So next up I have created a new wallet which received sent coins OK and next I will try to mine to it.

It's looking to my like BCCAPI isn't returning any info when the info for the mined transactions is being requested. But I'm not sure on that yet. More to discover...
As I have never mined I did not have the opportunity to test BitcoinSpinner with coinbase transactions. My gut feeling is that it chokes because the transaction has no outPoint (funding transaction). Can you send me a stack-trace and a transaction ID?

- Jan

Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3234
Merit: 4110

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 03:06:26 PM

This is a amazing project!
Richy_T
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 04:31:31 PM

As I have never mined I did not have the opportunity to test BitcoinSpinner with coinbase transactions. My gut feeling is that it chokes because the transaction has no outPoint (funding transaction). Can you send me a stack-trace and a transaction ID?

- Jan

Hi Jan, I posted over in the bccapi thread. It appears that there are a couple of issues at play. Foremost is that bccapi appears to not return information for transactions from mining (Though it does list them in the transaction history object it returns). This puts an immediate stop to any plans I had to add that in (in fact, it seems it's possible that if BCCAPI did return the information, Bitcoinspinner would display them correctly anyway). Secondly, Bitcoinspinner seems to not handle this missing information gracefully. However, this appears to be conditional somehow as I mine to my wallet on my phone all the time and it runs fine (apart from not displaying the mining transactions).

DublinBrian

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 09:00:13 PM

It would be really nice to be able to change the unit to mBTC on BitcoinSpinner. I cant see that option currently.

Small payments are troublesome in BTC. Sometimes I put too many decimal places
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: