Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:45:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which of the following taxes is the least bad? Please choose one, or up to 4 if you feel they're all equally "least bad."
Personal income tax - 7 (8.1%)
Corporate income tax - 12 (14%)
Property tax (land) - 13 (15.1%)
Property tax (other assets) - 6 (7%)
Sales tax - 14 (16.3%)
Estate/Death/Inheritance tax - 4 (4.7%)
Poll/Head tax - 2 (2.3%)
Import/Export tax (Tariffs) - 7 (8.1%)
Value-Added tax - 6 (7%)
Capital Gains tax - 4 (4.7%)
Excise tax (fuel, alcohol, etc.) - 6 (7%)
Wealth/Net-Worth tax - 5 (5.8%)
Total Voters: 49

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which tax is the least bad?  (Read 5212 times)
westkybitcoins (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:05:23 AM

Presuming a society has taxes (safe bet there,) some taxes could be considered more intrusive, less efficient, or generally worse than other taxes.

Which taxes do you feel are the least bad?

Bonus points for explaining why; double points for also pointing out the especially egregious taxes, and explaining why.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
westkybitcoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:58:29 AM

That's like asking which kind of rape is the least bad.

Date rape?
Spousal rape?
Gang rape?
Prison rape?
Statutory rape?
War rape?

I'd prefer no rape.

Same goes for tax.

I suppose if there was something called "voluntary tax" and it was actually voluntary, that would be the least bad kind of tax. It would probably just be called a donation though.

Sorry if that wasn't the answer you were looking for.

I personally agree with you.

However, the purpose of this thread is to focus on which is the least bad, as debated among those who resign themselves to accepting taxes (or who believe taxes are necessary.)

The "why do people think income tax is ok" thread prompted me to start this one.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
bridgesro

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:06:46 AM

Probably property taxes. They're not usually as expensive and they do go towards something more necessary than what income taxes go towards (namely roads).
westkybitcoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:08:08 AM

Ok, I guess I'll play. I'll vote for sales tax because it's somewhat easy to opt out of (and I actually get to own property).

I tend to agree that it's one of the more tolerable ones. I'd probably go with corporate income tax, myself. After all, if corporations are going to exist, and get special government-sanctioned privileges, I have little problem with them paying for those privileges.

westkybitcoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:10:32 AM

Probably property taxes. They're not usually as expensive and they do go towards something more necessary than what income taxes go towards (namely roads).

Understandable.

But what if you had to choose between property taxes or personal income taxes paying for everything? Would that change your mind any?

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:18:20 AM

My view:

Personal income tax - worse than sales tax or VAT
Corporate income tax - unnecessary, redundant
Property tax (land) - otherwise known as confiscation
Property tax (other assets) - otherwise known as confiscation
Sales tax - better than income tax
Estate/Death/Inheritance tax - unnecessary, redundant
Poll/Head tax - fairest of all, but probably not a practical idea
Import/Export tax (Tariffs) - discourages trade
Value-Added tax - better than income tax (same as sales tax)
Capital Gains tax - unnecessary, redundant
Excise tax (fuel, alcohol, etc.) - careful what you ask for
Wealth/Net-Worth tax - otherwise known as confiscation

Some things to note.

- Taxing income discourages production, while taxing spending (sales and VAT) encourages saving and investment.
- Ideally, each person should pay the same amount of tax regardless of income or wealth because the results of government spending should benefit each person equally.
- It is probably a good idea for wealthy people to pay more taxes than poor people because there is a huge social benefit.
- Excise taxes can mitigate externalities, but they frequently cause more problems than they solve.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
bridgesro

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:29:36 AM

Understandable.

But what if you had to choose between property taxes or personal income taxes paying for everything? Would that change your mind any?

Well, that would shoot the property tax up for sure. If they paid for everything income taxes do now? No, I probably wouldn't support them. If I have to pay taxes, I want them to pay only for necessary services.

You must be joking!

If you don't pay your property taxes, you will eventually lose your home / land. Basically, when there is a property tax, you are a renter, not an owner.

I didn't say they were great. The topic is to pick the least of the bad, not which of the bad is actually good. Given what property taxes usually pay for and the fact that they're not a huge burden on most people, I'd say they're not as bad as some of the other taxes.
Khadaji

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 03:48:16 AM

There's only two taxes I'd be more than happy to endorse and pay.

A flat tax ... under 25%

And a sales tax, at a low rate... certainly no higher than 10%.

I consider these the least "bad" because they're perfectly fair.
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:16:20 PM

Property taxes.  Property rights are created by the state and a resource tax forces people to make the underlying assets work.
westkybitcoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:44:55 PM

A flat tax ... under 25%

By flat tax, you mean a flat personal income tax?

tkbx

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:49:56 PM

That's like asking which kind of rape is the least bad.

Date rape?
Spousal rape?
Gang rape?
Prison rape?
Statutory rape?
War rape?

I'd prefer no rape.

Same goes for tax.

I suppose if there was something called "voluntary tax" and it was actually voluntary, that would be the least bad kind of tax. It would probably just be called a donation though.

Sorry if that wasn't the answer you were looking for.
Taxes are necessary. Some of them are unfair or pointless, but I certainly wouldn't compare various taxes to various forms of rape. Maybe a better analogy would be medical procedures - some are painful, some are overly expensive, but lots are necessary.
westkybitcoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:51:40 PM

Property taxes.  Property rights are created by the state and a resource tax forces people to make the underlying assets work.

I could almost agree that a property tax on land makes sense, considering government protection is supposed to extend across a domain, except that the usual penalty for not paying (the loss of your land) makes it unconscionable for me.

I disagree that the state creates property rights. The way you've worked that out, you're effectively saying only the state can really own anything, and people have no moral basis for disagreeing with any thing a state wants to do with it's property.

The fact that corporations are *literally* state-created entities is why I have little problem with them being taxed.

westkybitcoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:53:19 PM

Not a single vote for a death tax.

What if it wasn't redundant, if it was the only tax?

Khadaji

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 02:04:31 PM

A flat tax ... under 25%

By flat tax, you mean a flat personal income tax?

Yes. A flat percentage of anything earned.

One of the best tax systems I've even seen is the Fair tax... you can read all about it at Fairtax.org
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 02:27:44 PM

Property taxes.  Property rights are created by the state and a resource tax forces people to make the underlying assets work.

I could almost agree that a property tax on land makes sense, considering government protection is supposed to extend across a domain, except that the usual penalty for not paying (the loss of your land) makes it unconscionable for me.

I disagree that the state creates property rights. The way you've worked that out, you're effectively saying only the state can really own anything, and people have no moral basis for disagreeing with any thing a state wants to do with it's property.

The fact that corporations are *literally* state-created entities is why I have little problem with them being taxed.

In the common law system, all land rights are derived from the state and in the event that the owner dies intestate, the state takes it back.  Things like a freehold ownership of a farm or a 999 year leasehold interest in a building or an easement over a riverway are literally state-created entities and we should have any problem with them being taxed.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 02:48:12 PM

Tax on cigars is welcome. Because I don't smoke.
westkybitcoins (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 03:07:00 PM

Property taxes.  Property rights are created by the state and a resource tax forces people to make the underlying assets work.

In the common law system, all land rights are derived from the state and in the event that the owner dies intestate, the state takes it back.  Things like a freehold ownership of a farm or a 999 year leasehold interest in a building or an easement over a riverway are literally state-created entities and we should have any problem with them being taxed.

Yet common law as it currently exists isn't some manifest destiny of societal arrangements.

As I see it, an objective look between taxing corporations as active, functional entities and taxing, well, the ownership of personal land makes for a clear choice as to which should be preferred.

*Why* would you opt to tax land over corporations? Do you feel corporations being taxed creates problems that taxing personal land doesn't? Or do you have issues with some people paying no direct taxes (or with some other philosophical/ideological aspect of it?)

Khadaji

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 03:18:48 PM

Tax on cigars is welcome. Because I don't smoke.

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out--
Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out--
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out--
Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me.
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 03:45:04 PM

Yet common law as it currently exists isn't some manifest destiny of societal arrangements.

As I see it, an objective look between taxing corporations as active, functional entities and taxing, well, the ownership of personal land makes for a clear choice as to which should be preferred.

*Why* would you opt to tax land over corporations? Do you feel corporations being taxed creates problems that taxing personal land doesn't? Or do you have issues with some people paying no direct taxes (or with some other philosophical/ideological aspect of it?)

For the sake of simplicity, lets assume I can only choose one form of taxation.

I personally have an aversion to hoarders of land and resources.  A resource tax that forces people to either use an asset, say land in a city centre, or to sell it to someone who will use it, seems like a good thing to me.

Corporation tax is a form of indirect tax on consumers.  If there is no resource tax, it may be that the economy is under-performing due to idle assets.  Under these circumstances, taxing consumers, directly or indirectly, is going to make the problem worse.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 04:13:31 PM

I personally have an aversion to hoarders of land and resources.  A resource tax that forces people to either use an asset, say land in a city centre, or to sell it to someone who will use it, seems like a good thing to me.

What about the land under your house?

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: