Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:55:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Forum now hosting the Bitcoin Wiki  (Read 7289 times)
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12968

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:37:57 AM

Due to recent unfortunate events, there was concern among the community that the previous host of the Bitcoin Wiki might no longer be able to maintain this important community resource. As of today, the Bitcoin Wiki is under the protection of the forum. The wiki’s existing policies and community will continue (separately from this forum’s community), but the forum will be providing hosting and related technical services. The wiki is now hosted on a dedicated VM, so software changes will hopefully now be easier and more frequent. In my opinion, the Wiki’s quality has declined over the last couple of years due to a number of mostly technical problems which I hope can be fixed eventually.

Security Improvements

The new forum has been updated to the latest version of MediaWiki + extensions, with a custom SELinux confinement policy for Mediawiki, bitcoind and the CryptoPayment processor. Furthermore, a part-time sysadmin has been hired by the forum to be responsible for maintaining long-term security and maintenance of the Wiki. reCAPTCHA is now used only for account creation, merely to slow down bot-driven account creation.

Automated Anti-Spam

CryptoPayment is a MediaWiki extension to limit spam by requiring a small one-time Bitcoin payment before a user is allowed to edit or create pages. While the payment is deliberately small for a normal user, it presents a barrier to persistent spammers. Formerly known as BitcoinPayment, CryptoPayment no longer relies upon MtGox as the payment backend. It now uses a Node.js backend which interfaces with bitcoind. The plan is to rewrite the plugin and backend to be high-quality code and then to release it as open source so other wikis can benefit from this very effective anti-spam mechanism.

CryptoPayment fees have been reduced from their previous level.

Requiring payment for every user is certainly non-optimal. It prevents exactly the kind of “drive-by contributions” that wikis are great for. In the future, CryptoPayment might be improved by allowing users from “high-reputation” IP addresses to join without paying a fee. If you have any other ideas for improving the anti-spam system while making contributions easy, let us know.

dump.bitcoin.it

dump.bitcoin.it will soon be restored. Going forward there will be weekly dumps in XML for the public to download.

Configuration Cleanup

Some Templates are currently not fixed in non-English languages to correspond with the s/BitcoinPayment/CryptoPayment/ replacement that is currently described in English. If you are fluent in the other languages supported by the Wiki, please fix any pages you can or talk to the lead Wiki moderators nanotube and SomeoneWeird if you have text for a non-English Template that you are unable to edit.

Additionally, other pages such as the Login dialog need to be fixed to display the CryptoPayment notice in a similar manner to how it was presented with the previous Wiki. Do you notice anything else that needs to be fixed?

Bitcoin Wiki Discussion and Support

This new sub-board is the best place to discuss the Wiki. We would be very interested to hear if you have any comments, questions, or suggestions to further improve the Wiki.

You can alternatively find people in Freenode channel #bitcoin-wiki.

Note that I am not personally administrating the Wiki, and you should not contact me about Wiki problems (other than hosting).

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4461

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:45:21 AM

task one. remove Luke-Jr's editing privileges. he has done more damage then support of facts on the bitcoin wiki over the years.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Cyrus
Ninja
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2949

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:48:35 AM

Glad to see this has been taken care of Smiley.

bridgesro

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 12:59:14 AM

I went to the wiki for the first time in a long time yesterday. I was surprised at home out-of-date and uninformative it was. Hopefully the new management will bring things around for the community. Wink
Micio
Legendary

Activity: 1061
Merit: 1283

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:18:13 AM

Really you want to centralize the wiki too?

I can't believe.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4461

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 01:52:18 AM

I can't believe.

next stage theymos to take control of ThePiachu's reddit mod privileges.. only kidding

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 03:48:38 AM

i hope to see the wiki updated and more people having the ability to edit/moderate things on the wiki.  it's been really outdated for awhile and no way for people in the community to update it.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 04:32:30 AM

task one. remove Luke-Jr's editing privileges. he has done more damage then support of facts on the bitcoin wiki over the years.

I was not aware that today was Opposite Day

Eri

Activity: 264
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 05:34:12 AM

Funny you should say that... i remember reading a few things in it that didnt belong and reeked of someones personal motives. Tried to fix it but not interested in paying to fix some turds graffiti. I dont bother with the wiki since its poisoned with bs, cant trust it. Dunno if this was luke or not though. Maybe they can fix the wiki and ban the users that knowingly add false information or opinion as fact.

Can we make it so old users can edit the wiki? Maybe some pages might get fixed.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 06:24:45 AM

I think Luke should take over the Reddit

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 06:45:22 AM

I can't believe.

next stage theymos to take control of ThePiachu's reddit mod privileges.. only kidding

If you're going to go humor... Go big!

I am curious as to how Mark Karpeles was gotten in touch with to perform the handover. And, since he did it so smoothly, was there really a concern.

And, for $350K, how come I still have to get my own fresh cup of coffee?
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:42:13 AM

This is a good step forward IMO. Michael Marquardt is technically doing good in handling this forum and would probably be handling well the wiki infra too. But here is a request for consideration...

Can Wiki be allowed to be edited by everyone with a administrative right to the paid users, i.e. anyone can edit, but that wont be reflected unless approved by paid members ? I think that way more informations may pour in...

felipelalli

Activity: 229
Merit: 103

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:30:40 AM

Hi theymos! I suggest you to make a kind of "mining" to edit, i.e., some function (like scrypt) really hard to execute, like find some hash beginning with N zeros. It prevents spammers.
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:32:51 AM

Funny you should say that... i remember reading a few things in it that didnt belong and reeked of someones personal motives. Tried to fix it but not interested in paying to fix some turds graffiti.

Paying wouldn't help. Luke doesn't allow you to fix his graffiti. He doesn't even allow discussion of his junk on the discussion pages.

See this edit for example in which he deletes a perfectly reasonable comment from Gavin, or this ugliness which he won't allow anyone to fix. We need a simple page explaining the units. It absolutely doesn't need to talk about silly base 16 units that aren't supported and that nobody uses. Check that page's history to see how many times people have tried to fix it only to have Luke revert their fix.

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 08:45:08 AM

Lol damn I remember this is some old crazy shit https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Tonal_Bitcoin

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 09:09:35 AM
Last edit: March 25, 2014, 01:01:29 PM by Kluge

Unexpected thread turn.

Lol damn I remember this is some old crazy shit https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Tonal_Bitcoin
Luke does version numbers in tonal, too. It has caused some surprises... Cheesy Great, queer guy - does a lot of good work.

ETA from the future (so as not to further veer OT in future posts):
Wonder why bfg doesnt have tonal version numbers
BFG is in tonal, I think. Version 3.10 > 3.9.

I am admittedly disappointed to see tonal out of stock Core GUI options (I think someone did make a "TBC" fork, though), which was originally added in 2011.

Luke's probably done more to further discourse of tonal numbering than anyone on Earth. I'm too fond of Schoenberg, though.
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1068

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 09:20:47 AM

Well I learned something today, I've never heard of the 'Tonal' system of numbers before.

bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 09:21:34 AM

Unexpected thread turn.

Luke does version numbers in tonal, too. It has caused some surprises... Cheesy Great, queer guy - does a lot of good work.

Smart people usually have mental illness.  See flappy bird, autistic savants, etc.

irrational

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 02:48:24 PM

Unexpected thread turn.

Smart people usually have mental illness.  See flappy bird, autistic savants, etc.

because cgminer didn't....  Roll Eyes

lol.
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 03:14:20 PM

I got the shits with the wiki years ago.

I'd go to look up something and it would throw a university mathematics textbook at me.

Google did a better job when I wanted to look up something useful...

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: