Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:20:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Too much HODLing stealing opportunities?  (Read 905 times)
wxa7115

Activity: 2716
Merit: 704

View Profile
September 24, 2020, 07:15:22 PM

This is not a mathematical question, there is no right answer for this that one person can answer, there is no proof of which one is better neither, it is totally changing depending on the person we are talking about. Obviously there are people who are great traders and they get the coins at very low and sell at the top and do this back to back in order to make as much profit as they can, but there are also people who fail to do this and they buy high and sell low because they are scared or whatever, panic sellers are a thing so we can't just forget about them.

So, we are talking about answer changing from person to person. I would say if you do not trade well, go with long term, if you trade well go with short term because that is the only thing that make sense.
In fact it is and there is a right answer for it, if we compare the results of the best holder against the results of the best trader the best trader will always outperform the holder which means that if you goal is to make money in the markets then you must learn how to trade.

However as we know learning how to trade is not easy at all and it can be a very challenging endeavour as to begin with there is so much information online about what strategy to follow that most newbies are going to get confused about what path they should follow, but truth to be told this applies to any activity as well so in that sense learning how to trade is not different than learning any other skill.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
AakZaki
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1076

zknodes.org

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2020, 10:39:38 PM

If you are not a good trader then there is no need of holding if you have the knowledge and understanding on how the market works and you can takes advantage of the up and down and buy and sell at the right time then you should better to hold.
is an option that is easily accepted and is a solution for some people who cannot trade by holding it until the target price is reached.

But if as a professional trader or who already understands market movements, taking advantage of every ups and downs of prices will be very profitable, but not always profitable, there will definitely be a loss in some trades.

Trading is also not only up and down, but about emotions that can be controlled properly so as not to spoil the plan or strategy that has been made.
Hippocrypto

Activity: 1484
Merit: 277

View Profile
September 25, 2020, 11:11:27 PM

If you are not a good trader then there is no need of holding if you have the knowledge and understanding on how the market works and you can takes advantage of the up and down and buy and sell at the right time then you should better to hold.
is an option that is easily accepted and is a solution for some people who cannot trade by holding it until the target price is reached.

But if as a professional trader or who already understands market movements, taking advantage of every ups and downs of prices will be very profitable, but not always profitable, there will definitely be a loss in some trades.

Trading is also not only up and down, but about emotions that can be controlled properly so as not to spoil the plan or strategy that has been made.

Sometime our plans won't coincide about the future, only wide imaginations tends to pull you down. Because of my emotions that is beyond my control expectations of much higher value, give me wrong decisions that I have regretted during the days of bullrun. Failure to trade my tokens, made me frustrated, thinking that the price would increase ten folds. That opportunities has gone after bearish market tends to initiate starting 2018 until present.
angrynerd88

Activity: 910
Merit: 253

Hodlers Network

View Profile
December 02, 2020, 04:46:54 PM

Crypto Earners who suggest to HODL are the ones who really picked up more since they tend to hold bitcoin for a long time which implies they likely offer it in at boom. For me, who will gonna offer bitcoin in shortage cost? But those who are in a frantic require of something. But when we say long term holding, we tend to set offer cost, our objective here is to secure benefit indeed we hold up for a long time. We are holding up for the great opportunity to offer off our bitcoin in a great price. Be that as it may, maximizing our time with a good administration of bitcoin holding is difficult to attain.

carlfebz2

Activity: 2926
Merit: 727

View Profile
December 02, 2020, 07:20:55 PM

Sometime our plans won't coincide about the future, only wide imaginations tends to pull you down. Because of my emotions that is beyond my control expectations of much higher value, give me wrong decisions that I have regretted during the days of bullrun. Failure to trade my tokens, made me frustrated, thinking that the price would increase ten folds. That opportunities has gone after bearish market tends to initiate starting 2018 until present.

I do really admit that i do really hate up to remember those days where i do able to miss out those golden opportunities where i have might able to changed up my financial status life if
i did able to sell on that time.

We have bull run on year 2017 and almost all of the coins in the market are hyping up and with my greedy mind i did really tend to hold even more until the market had dumped down and
all of the coins that i had owned had dumped too and made those profits poof in a short span of time.

Hodling is good but only possible for those coins which are really worth for you to hold but for alts? Its better to secure profits first and dont make yourself regret in the end.
Botnake

Activity: 2856
Merit: 667

View Profile
December 03, 2020, 10:41:17 AM

I do really admit that i do really hate up to remember those days where i do able to miss out those golden opportunities where i have might able to changed up my financial status life if

We have bull run on year 2017 and almost all of the coins in the market are hyping up and with my greedy mind i did really tend to hold even more until the market had dumped down and
all of the coins that i had owned had dumped too and made those profits poof in a short span of time.

Hodling is good but only possible for those coins which are really worth for you to hold but for alts? Its better to secure profits first and dont make yourself regret in the end.

Too much holding means you really don't have a plan, you don't sell because you don't plan on selling, everything in your mind is HODL, and sometimes that creates greediness in your heart that you might fail to sell at the right time.

Something we need to correct, me, I have learn in the past already and I'm sure when the bull run comes and I will see my target hit, I would not hesitate to sell because it's already stupid to make mistakes twice.

█████▄▄██
███▄█████
██▄███████▄
████████████████
███▀██████████▀
██▄████████████▄
░█████▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
████▀████████▀████
▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████▀███████▄████
███████▀▀▄▄▄█████
███████████████▀
████████████▀▀
OMBARD.com|.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██████░██░████░██
▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
██████████████
▄▄░▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀▀▀
██░██░██████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
PICK,
PLAY,
PROSPER!

██████
██████████
██████████
██████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
█████████████████   ██
PROVABLY
FAIR
1%█████████████████   ██
HOUSE
EDGE
100%█████████████████   ██
DEPOSIT
BONUS
  Play now  
blckhawk

Activity: 1498
Merit: 327

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
December 03, 2020, 01:56:38 PM

For noobs, HODLing is a term used for "holding" your assets (here: Bitcoins) for a very long time. But, isn't it true that those who bought it at $500 once should have sold it at $20k peak, and if not, why didn't they sell at $15k? BTC didn't crash all at once and they had the opportunity to sell and wait for another opportunity. A $15k per BTC against a $500 BTC - means a 30x return itself. And BTC crashed to $3k, if not $3k, then these hodlers would have bought back at $6k which is even less than half of $15k as they would also have added a lot more liquidity to the markets with too much money on the table. Isn't it true that too long a hodl can stop you from taking great opportunities while sitting dumb and waiting for a specific target?
It is a hundred percent fact. If you hold too much for a long time there's a high chance that you will miss a lot of opportunities. This is not the right thing to do, it would be more likely a greed. There's nothing wrong in holding and as a matter of fact, it is really profitable but you must have a limit, you gotta set your target sell. In my opinion, 10x or quite a few more would be enough. Once you saw Bitcoin in uptrend take an opportunity to sell and vise versa if it is in a downtrend.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
Chrystora123

Activity: 1414
Merit: 228

Omicron is another FUD

View Profile
December 03, 2020, 02:05:36 PM

snip..
I don't like HODLing, I like scalping.  I'm not saying HOLDing is bad but being HOLDing for a long time will just waste an opportunity (as you said too).  just look at the last few days, the price of Bitcoin continues to spin at $ 19k then goes down to $ 15k then goes up again to $ 19k, and so on.  being a scalper is not that difficult, the key is to get rid of your greed and laziness, buy when the price drops then sell when you earn a little..

CyberKuro

Activity: 798
Merit: 506

View Profile
December 03, 2020, 03:23:25 PM

Yeah, I could accumulate more bitcoin if have sold last the peak and buyback the dip at $3k. in 2017 I didn't sell at the ath, but thought it may recover or stay above $10k, well it didn't, so I missed the chance to get profits and more coins at the same time. If we can predict the bitcoin movement, at least 80% correct to buy and sell at the right time, even 60-70% is a big profit.
carlfebz2

Activity: 2926
Merit: 727

View Profile
December 03, 2020, 09:44:25 PM

Too much holding means you really don't have a plan, you don't sell because you don't plan on selling, everything in your mind is HODL, and sometimes that creates greediness in your heart that you might fail to sell at the right time.

Something we need to correct, me, I have learn in the past already and I'm sure when the bull run comes and I will see my target hit, I would not hesitate to sell because it's already stupid to make mistakes twice.

Holding is still a plan though because simply holding doesnt mean that you arent planning something because there are holder thats do have specific price for them to sell
off thats why we cant really generalized just because you are holding does mean that you dont have any plans.

We do just differ on how we do handle up our portfolios because basing of with our own risk management thing then if we do saw that we arent sure on what we are doing
or not really that too confident on making steps then it is worth on just simply hold but of course.

Always consider on possible changes and sudden decisions of selling when you do see if the price is right for you to load off your bag.
Botnake

Activity: 2856
Merit: 667

View Profile
December 03, 2020, 10:28:04 PM

Holding is still a plan though because simply holding doesnt mean that you arent planning something because there are holder thats do have specific price for them to sell
off thats why we cant really generalized just because you are holding does mean that you dont have any plans.
Plan to hold? I think that is stupid without planning to sell, you'll only get the value if you sell, so a plan is necessary and that plan involves everything including selling at the right time.

We do just differ on how we do handle up our portfolios because basing of with our own risk management thing then if we do saw that we arent sure on what we are doing
or not really that too confident on making steps then it is worth on just simply hold but of course.
Handling your portfolio involves good planning, if you don't have that, you won't be able to initiate the sell.
Planning is the first stage of investing, it's done both in selling and buying.

Always consider on possible changes and sudden decisions of selling when you do see if the price is right for you to load off your bag.
Exactly, that's necessary in order to make a right plan and decision.

█████▄▄██
███▄█████
██▄███████▄
████████████████
███▀██████████▀
██▄████████████▄
░█████▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
████▀████████▀████
▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████▀███████▄████
███████▀▀▄▄▄█████
███████████████▀
████████████▀▀
OMBARD.com|.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██████░██░████░██
▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
██████████████
▄▄░▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀▀▀
██░██░██████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
PICK,
PLAY,
PROSPER!

██████
██████████
██████████
██████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
█████████████████   ██
PROVABLY
FAIR
1%█████████████████   ██
HOUSE
EDGE
100%█████████████████   ██
DEPOSIT
BONUS
  Play now  
bitmexscalper100x

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2020, 08:28:35 AM

For noobs, HODLing is a term used for "holding" your assets (here: Bitcoins) for a very long time. But, isn't it true that those who bought it at $500 once should have sold it at $20k peak, and if not, why didn't they sell at $15k? BTC didn't crash all at once and they had the opportunity to sell and wait for another opportunity. A $15k per BTC against a $500 BTC - means a 30x return itself. And BTC crashed to $3k, if not $3k, then these hodlers would have bought back at $6k which is even less than half of $15k as they would also have added a lot more liquidity to the markets with too much money on the table. Isn't it true that too long a hodl can stop you from taking great opportunities while sitting dumb and waiting for a specific target?

It's true, you could always scalp a small account to get your fix and leave the long term positions alone.

But as they say, easy come easy go.

Check out my scalping video where i go up 146% in an hour on bitmex.

https://youtu.be/RlzeLc6foyk
lixer

Activity: 2506
Merit: 586

View Profile
December 05, 2020, 06:26:03 AM

I do not believe that it has to be mutually exclusive to do either of them. If you want to hold you can hold if you want to trade you can trade but if you want to hold and trade at the same time you can do so as well. For example if you have 10k, just put 5k in hold mode and put the other 5k in trading. Wouldn't that work?

I have to say I have never done something like that before so I can't say if this would be an idea that would work out or not, maybe someone who has done something like this could shed a light on the subject, however I believe it is definitely doable and that way you would both not miss opportunities but you would also end up with making a lot of profit with holding as well.

kotajikikox

Activity: 2380
Merit: 207

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
December 05, 2020, 08:24:30 AM

Because until now there are still Some folks that trying to tell People the story happens from 10 years ago when a Drop out student bought Bitcoin and let it there for long time until 2017 comes and he earn millions of dollars.

But these are just a Tails now and if you really wanted to earn then better gamble in opportunities "Buying Low Selling High".

While we believe that Bitcoin may reach even a million dollars in future yet that will count another years when we can at least add amount in our coins by buying and selling.

XZERO1

Activity: 504
Merit: 33

View Profile
December 05, 2020, 11:51:12 AM

That's true that you can miss opportunities if you keep holding, but when you say they could've sold at $20k or $15k the problem is that how do they know that's the top and it won't get another push to $50k for example?, and when is exactly the right time to sell?, you never know when to stop holding and it's the right time to cash out, for example for someone that bought Bitcoin at 100$ and sold it at $2k he still got 20x of his initial investment but he lost the chance to sell at $15k-$20k.

I'd say most people that don't trade regularly have a problem to find the best price to sell and maybe they have a bad experience selling too soon and missing out on most of the profit they could have, because of that they prefer to hold whatever they bought for long-term till it has a significant pump to like 100x or something and then they can sell so that they don't feel that much regret.

But I believe even though that strategy could work sometime you have to keep in mind when you don't sell something that already did like 10x and decide not to sell and wait more, it can as easily goes down to like 5x and you still have the more or less the same amount of regret that you didn't sell earlier, so in my opinion it's mostly based on luck more than anything else and that will be the deciding factor whether you made the right decision to sell/hold at that time or not.
chip1994

Activity: 868
Merit: 251

HEX: Longer pays better

View Profile
December 05, 2020, 12:06:01 PM

Your views are not clear about the general situation of the current holders, there are plan holders and blind holders. For me and my colleagues often hold plans and they have pre-determined prices at future selling prices. Therefore, it is very rare that there are cases of losses or no profits after a long period of investment.
Of course there will be other people with us, they hold blindly and without a plan but they are not always wrong. Think of a holder who has held Bitcoin from $ 5 and they have accepted to hold over 7 years until now. Do you think they failed? They are even more profitable than we are Smiley

████████████████████
       ██████████████████████
      ████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████
    ████████████████████████████
   ████               ▀██████████
  ████  ██████████████  ██████████
████  ████████████████  ██████████▄
████  ██████████████████  █████████▀
██  ████████████████████  ███████
    ███          █████████  █████
   ███  ███████   ███████  █████