Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:05:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Idea for Bitcoin (I think) - Bitmail  (Read 1222 times)
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 10:56:39 AM

I apologize if this has been discussed before.

What about creating an email/Bitcoin client?  It would be a straightforward email client like gmail or anything else, but with the addition of Bitcoin perks.  For example, the ability to link email addresses with Bitcoin addresses would be a nice organizational too.  I mean really...in how many instances is anonymity really going to be so important?  It would be nice to be able to send an email to a friend/relative/businessman/etc. and click the "attach Bitcoin" button and send away.

Thoughts?
Edit:  Possible email conversations may include "thanks for the drugs!" and "damn, this really is the hottest pepper ever.  My laptop and I are in the bathroom."
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 12:57:20 PM

I apologize if this has been discussed before.

What about creating an email/Bitcoin client?  It would be a straightforward email client like gmail or anything else, but with the addition of Bitcoin perks.  For example, the ability to link email addresses with Bitcoin addresses would be a nice organizational too.  I mean really...in how many instances is anonymity really going to be so important?  It would be nice to be able to send an email to a friend/relative/businessman/etc. and click the "attach Bitcoin" button and send away.

Thoughts?
Edit:  Possible email conversations may include "thanks for the drugs!" and "damn, this really is the hottest pepper ever.  My laptop and I are in the bathroom."

Yeah, there have been a couple threads, but it's a great idea. Using Bitcoin as a small postage would curtail spam.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 01:47:05 PM

A decentralized peer-to-peer email network, where everyone who contributes to the system (even just by running the client) gets a slice of the postage fee? Add in automatic encrypting of the mail and I'm sold. I can just see the ads: "Get PAID to use email! Use Bitmail!"

(Yes, I understand the OP was describing a typical email program that simply did things with bitcoins on the side... but I think it's possible to do much better...)

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
MrGaSp

Activity: 418
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 02:04:10 PM

A decentralized peer-to-peer email network, where everyone who contributes to the system (even just by running the client) gets a slice of the postage fee? Add in automatic encrypting of the mail and I'm sold. I can just see the ads: "Get PAID to use email! Use Bitmail!"

(Yes, I understand the OP was describing a typical email program that simply did things with bitcoins on the side... but I think it's possible to do much better...)

and dear god don't let it be cost per letter, we'd end up with txt messages, but worse oO
o

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 03:04:41 PM

It would be nice to use the receiver address to encrypt the message and then decrypt it depends on the private key of receiver.  Wink
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
November 24, 2011, 10:57:43 PM

I agree 100% with making it much better...I will leave that to the coders.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: