Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:37:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mineral Oil cooled rigs....  (Read 5751 times)
cicada

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 09:02:55 PM

/sigh..  I give up on the wall-of-text thing, is it so hard to edit down a quote?

Anyway, I've been trying to dig up this link, finally found it.  This guy's been cooling his PC's with his swimming pool since 2006:

http://www.thebuehls.com/pool_cooling/

And he managed it for < $400, it's a neat project at the very least.

plastic.elastic, I don't think anyone here is seriously considering modifying a compressor-style AC unit to be water cooled by a pool.  I'd be surprised if anyone was seriously considering anything in this thread.  Congrats for hitting 200 posts without pissing off an admin enough to get booted.

The pool idea makes a great easy-access heat sink if you've got one available.  Sure during the summer raising your pool temp to 100F with a rack of miners isn't too great, but hey you can swim any day in November Wink

I think i can count on a single hand the number of people I know with pools in CO, however (which is weird, it gets friggin hot here). 

Geothermal is an excellent, cheap, and energy efficient way to cool your whole house if you've got the acreage for it.

Team Epic!

All your bitcoin are belong to 19mScWkZxACv215AN1wosNNQ54pCQi3iB7

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 09:19:08 PM

I don't think anyone here is seriously considering modifying a compressor-style AC unit to be water cooled by a pool.

Well there were two different ideas being discussed.

One is to use pool as a giant radiator for water cooled rigs.  
The other is to use pool to absorb the reject heat from AC condenser coils.
The efficiency on any heat pump is based on the ambient temp difference between both sides of the heat pump (inside and outside).   Using pool water which is cooler than outside air improves the efficiency of the heat pump/AC.

Here is one thesis on it:
http://minds.wisconsin.edu/handle/1793/7674

It looks like it saves money in both cooler and warmer climates. About $50 to $100 per year. In hotter climates most of the savings come from improved AC efficiency.  In cooler climates most of the savings come from reduced natural gas consumption to heat the pool.   Temperate climates benefit a little from each.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 09:22:33 PM

Great idea. because i'm sure the pool would need some heating while you use your AC to cool the house. You're know its fcking hot outside.
Are you really that clueless?

People heat pools all the time in the summer.  ALL the time.  Sure, if it's 100F outside, you're probably not going to need to heat it, but when it's 90F, and the pool is 50F, it's not very comfortable and you get cold rather quickly.  So you heat the pool, despite the weather being plenty hot enough to warrant the use of an air conditioner in the house.
cicada

Activity: 196

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 09:23:44 PM

I need to pass these ideas past the wife.  I think I'll either get a pool out of the deal, or piping my radiator through the wall to heat my garage will sound way more reasonable Wink

Team Epic!

All your bitcoin are belong to 19mScWkZxACv215AN1wosNNQ54pCQi3iB7
Atheros

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2011, 03:44:06 AM

I need to pass these ideas past the wife.  I think I'll either get a pool out of the deal, or piping my radiator through the wall to heat my garage will sound way more reasonable Wink
"Come on honey! It's only the size of two Olympic size pools! I need it for my miners!

What? Only a regular sized pool? Oh, ok then; if you say so." ^_^

BM-GteJMPqvHRUdUHHa1u7dtYnfDaH5ogeY
Bitmessage.org - Decentralized, trustless, encrypted, authenticated messaging protocol and client.
plastic.elastic

Activity: 168

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 07:31:05 AM

Great idea. because i'm sure the pool would need some heating while you use your AC to cool the house. You're know its fcking hot outside.
Are you really that clueless?

People heat pools all the time in the summer.  ALL the time.  Sure, if it's 100F outside, you're probably not going to need to heat it, but when it's 90F, and the pool is 50F, it's not very comfortable and you get cold rather quickly.  So you heat the pool, despite the weather being plenty hot enough to warrant the use of an air conditioner in the house.

say that in Celcius please i care less for your american standard. Who actually heat the pool in a summer? LOL we use pool to help us thro heat waves.

Tips gladly accepted: 1LPaxHPvpzN3FbaGBaZShov3EFafxJDG42
plastic.elastic

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 07:40:14 AM

I don't think anyone here is seriously considering modifying a compressor-style AC unit to be water cooled by a pool.

Well there were two different ideas being discussed.

The other is to use pool to absorb the reject heat from AC condenser coils.
The efficiency on any heat pump is based on the ambient temp difference between both sides of the heat pump (inside and outside).   Using pool water which is cooler than outside air improves the efficiency of the heat pump/AC.

Here is one thesis on it:
http://minds.wisconsin.edu/handle/1793/7674

It looks like it saves money in both cooler and warmer climates. About $50 to $100 per year. In hotter climates most of the savings come from improved AC efficiency.  In cooler climates most of the savings come from reduced natural gas consumption to heat the pool.   Temperate climates benefit a little from each.

Nice that you used the proper term, condenser. Sure as hell compressor coil is confusing

In cooler weather, i would consider AC to save money..... or NOT

The most energy used in a AC is the compressor.

plastic.elastic

View Profile
November 30, 2011, 07:43:57 AM

I'd be surprised if anyone was seriously considering anything in this thread. 

I'm not.

They actually wonder why such device does not exist yet ... Roll Eyes

They will make one, and i really do hope so.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: