Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:36:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Asus Rog Strix B450-f Gaming Amd Ryzen  (Read 754 times)
quiell (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2020, 09:00:36 PM

Hi

I saw this motherboard and i was interested in getting it as an upgrade for my gaming/mining rig, the idea is to install 5/6 graphics,  looks like it should be able to support all of them using Pci X1 + X16 + M2 . Now i want to know if could exist any issue related with the chipset or the PCIe lanes. I searched for info related to this motherboard on the internet or people that could have the same one and be using it for mining but I have not found anything so far.

Any idea if it will work?
miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
November 09, 2020, 09:18:26 PM
Merited by philipma1957 (1)

Looks like it should.  May need an M.2 to PCIe adapter to get the 6th.  Googled a block diagram and can see 3 of the lower chip and 2 off the primary then 1 off M.2. Or you can use a 1x4 splitter on primary or secondary...should be fine but will depend on the bios control options for slots.

YMMV
waywoos

Activity: 124
Merit: 2

View Profile
November 09, 2020, 10:39:27 PM

i have this board on my one rig. works great. full of 580 cards all mining at 30 plus hashes.
i have a 3900x in it and mines monero with 23 threads.
even have a m.2 ssd all working great.
probably the best board i have minus a new b550 i have yet to hook up as i buy things when they go on sale.
quiell (OP)

Activity: 5

View Profile
November 09, 2020, 10:40:51 PM

i have this board on my one rig. works great. full of 580 cards all mining at 30 plus hashes.
probably the best board i have minus a new b550 i have yet to hook up as i buy things when they go on sale.

Awesome ! just out of curiosity , how many GPUs  do you have working on it?
waywoos

View Profile
November 10, 2020, 12:30:47 AM

I had everyone filled.  That was using risers because my cards are to thick to put side by side.
miner29

View Profile
November 10, 2020, 12:40:14 AM

I had everyone filled.  That was using risers because my cards are to thick to put side by side.

You will also want to use risers because this motherboard does not have supplimental power for pcie bus like some mining boards.  Riser prevent bad things from happening.  👍
pipiak

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 04, 2020, 09:40:52 PM

I have this MOBO but when I use all 3 pcie x16 slots, I dont get any GPU output.
I am using Ryzen without VEGA and have 2x 3080 and 1x 3060ti

Do you think that using risers pcie x1 helps ?

Or do you have some custom bios ?
miner29

View Profile
December 05, 2020, 01:57:44 AM

Yes try risers your motherboards pcie bus is probably overloaded with 3 physical gpus plugged in.  you can run them all on risers which is much easier on the motherboard.
PerfectCircle

Activity: 252
Merit: 11

View Profile
December 05, 2020, 06:46:47 AM

Hi

I saw this motherboard and i was interested in getting it as an upgrade for my gaming/mining rig, the idea is to install 5/6 graphics,  looks like it should be able to support all of them using Pci X1 + X16 + M2 . Now i want to know if could exist any issue related with the chipset or the PCIe lanes. I searched for info related to this motherboard on the internet or people that could have the same one and be using it for mining but I have not found anything so far.

Any idea if it will work?
The Asus Rog B450 is an AMD motherboard, it's a big no for me because intel motherboard works better for me, I have two AMD asus motherboard and 4 intel motherboard but the AMD motherboard gives me problem often, sometimes the AMD will only recognise 3 gpu of out of four and I'm using riser for the graphics card, always a pain in the ass, better buy an Intel motherboard

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
reynico

View Profile
January 06, 2021, 10:27:04 PM

Hi, got a mining rig with

* Asus ROG STRIX B450
* 2 x Gigabyte RX5700 XT
* 2 x PCI-E 16x to 1x risers
* Ubuntu 20.04 with kernel 5.4.0-42-generic
* amdgpu pro drivers 20.45
* ethminer 0.18, but also tested with nanominer. Same problem

---

* 1st 5700 is connected to the 1st PCI-e 16x through a 1x to 16x riser
* 2nd 5700 is connected to the 1st PCI-e 1x (above the 1st PCI-e 16x) through a 1x to 16x riser

So, lspci detects both cards (plus the integrated video controller)
Code:
    # lspci | grep VGA
    03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 10 [Radeon RX 5600 OEM/5600 XT / 5700/5700 XT] (rev c1)
    0b:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 10 [Radeon RX 5600 OEM/5600 XT / 5700/5700 XT] (rev c1)
    0d:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] (rev d5)

As ethminer does

Code:
    ./ethminer --list-devices
    ethminer 0.18.0
    Build: linux/release/gnu

CUDA Error : No CUDA driver found
     Id Pci Id    Type Name                          CUDA SM  CL    Total Memory  Cl Max Alloc  Cl Max W.Grp
    --- --------- ---- ----------------------------- ---- --- ----  ------------  ------------  ------------
      0 03:00.0   Gpu  gfx1010                                Yes        7.98 GB       7.98 GB      256.00 B
      1 0b:00.0   Gpu  gfx1010                                Yes        7.98 GB       7.98 GB      256.00 B

Just the 1st 5700 shows a rate of ~47MH/s, the second one keeps at 0.

* Logs for the 1st 5700: https://pastebin.com/66RZMymy
* Logs for the 2nd 5700: https://pastebin.com/iaraAbd0

We tried:

* Forcing the video to output from the bios to the motherboard, then leaving it to automatic (hence the video comes from the 1st 5700 on the PCI-e 16x)
* Replaced risers
* Using different mining software as well as different mining pools
* Connecting an HDMI monitor to the onboard graphics, to the first video card and the second video card. Same problem on three cases. Both 5700 detected, just the first one mining. Video is OK on three video cards.

I've noticed that clinfo hangs during the 2nd card information fetch, log here: https://pastebin.com/T5Fmaast. It hangs just there

Thanks in advance
Greatdev

Activity: 266
Merit: 16

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
January 07, 2021, 03:07:32 PM

Asus ROG B450-f is too high for mining, as a miner you need to cut expenses down by all means, the main mining power is the GPU, I'd rather get cheaper motherboard for mining purpose only but if you are a hardcore gamer then it's a good buy

pattone

View Profile
January 18, 2021, 03:35:09 PM

Hi waywoos!!! sorry for the interruption. First of all english is not my natural language, sorry if I have some errors in my writing.
I have recently build my first rig with a Asus Rog Strix B450-f Gaming and I'm having a lots of troubles; I saw in this post that you have the same board and don´t have any problems. Can you share with me your bios settings? or tell me what modifications did yo do on it.

My setup is:
Asus Rog Strix B450-f Gaming
AMD ryzen 5 2600
4 MSI rx5700 MECH OC (non XT)
4 pci-e powered risers
8 GB DDR4 RAM
HIVEOS as operating system

The main problems that I have are:
1) The motherboard doesn't boot if I don't put a video card directly to it (without riser) so... I can't put all the GPUs with risers.
2) The second is that from time to time a GPU disappear and  I'm seeing a lot of "GPU errors" in the screen

Sometimes the rig works good for 2 or 3 hours but after that problems begins... and sometime errors appears after 15 minutes of operations
I've test with different risers and only connecting 2 GPUs and switching them to test the graphics cards to but the are working well.
I've updated the motherboard bios too.
In bios I've enabled 4g decoding and set PCIe to gen2 (I've also try gen1 and auto)

Thanks in advance
waywoos

View Profile
January 18, 2021, 05:08:39 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2021, 05:23:12 PM by waywoos

My board is full of 570 and 580s.  Only the one top pci do I put the card directly on the board.  The rest I use risers powered by a 1200w power supply. I do that so I have video to my monitor.  
I would suggest you not over clock so high.  Bring them down and see if it gets better.  I had the latest bios as well. Think my settings are 1200 and 2150 roughly. Undervolted differently per card. All modded. Using blockchain drivers.
Because I’m running Polaris I’m using 5.1c.   Not sure what else to tell you.  Mine runs a month at a time with no problems.  Maybe try to find the problem. Is the 5700xt modded? Mine are modded
On my asrock board I use 2 5700xt and they would shut down several times a day.  Found the problem was I was using 1330 for clock.(I think of hand)  I backed it down 20 or so and been smooth sailing.
Because you are only running 8 fb ram maybe try adding virtual memory as well.
Are the risers new?
havoc88

View Profile
January 28, 2021, 01:11:07 PM

Does anybody got 6 GPUs on Rog Strix B540-F ? (I mean without using M2-> PCIe converter). Thanks !
sxemini

Activity: 1558
Merit: 69

View Profile
January 28, 2021, 02:42:38 PM

My board is full of 570 and 580s.  Only the one top pci do I put the card directly on the board.  The rest I use risers powered by a 1200w power supply. I do that so I have video to my monitor.  
I would suggest you not over clock so high.  Bring them down and see if it gets better.  I had the latest bios as well. Think my settings are 1200 and 2150 roughly. Undervolted differently per card. All modded. Using blockchain drivers.
Because I’m running Polaris I’m using 5.1c.   Not sure what else to tell you.  Mine runs a month at a time with no problems.  Maybe try to find the problem. Is the 5700xt modded? Mine are modded
On my asrock board I use 2 5700xt and they would shut down several times a day.  Found the problem was I was using 1330 for clock.(I think of hand)  I backed it down 20 or so and been smooth sailing.
Are the risers new?

Use newer driver and newer miner version. Blockchain driver is very outdated and not needed.

Does anybody got 6 GPUs on Rog Strix B540-F ? (I mean without using M2-> PCIe converter). Thanks !

Yes, why not? There is nothing special on this mobo
torniyo

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 29, 2021, 11:31:08 AM
Last edit: January 29, 2021, 02:54:45 PM by torniyo

Hello fellow miners! I'm kinda newbie to this mining universe, although I have a lot of experience in the world of computer hardware. We were using the Intel chipset for the platforms and there was no problem ... but we recently bought an Asus Rog Strix B450-f, to fall in love with the AMD product again, but we ran into a problem trying to fill all available pci slots. .... right now we have 4 RX5700XT connected with 1x risers. All good. but when we try to use the 16x slots with risers the hiveos do not detect any cards. Curiosity ... those 4 video cards will work in any pci slot (with risers, right) but the first 2 PCI-e 16x (the ones with the silver border). I'm sure this is a configuration issue, but I haven't had time to explore the BIOS too much ... if someone can give me some advice on the configuration ... it will be greatly appreciated. Our goal is to complete this rig with 6 video card conected with risers as we do with the Asus prime Z390.
Thanks a lot to anyone who can throw a bone to this old argentinian dog!
Samayuki

Activity: 574
Merit: 24

View Profile
January 29, 2021, 11:51:59 AM

Asus B450 motherboard is good for gamers that want to use crossfire setup for gaming massive monitors at once but kinda too costly for mining rig builders, at the price you can get a higher motherboard strictly for mining that has many slots 12 slots  or even 16 slots

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
torniyo

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 29, 2021, 03:00:37 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2021, 04:13:14 PM by torniyo

Asus B450 motherboard is good for gamers that want to use crossfire setup for gaming massive monitors at once but kinda too costly for mining rig builders, at the price you can get a higher motherboard strictly for mining that has many slots 12 slots  or even 16 slots

unfortunately in Argentina there are not too many options to choose for motherboards.... and due to the recent eth increase, nearly mining-class hardware is getting really difficult to acquire.... snif....snif.... Sad
Arrawnt

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 29, 2021, 04:03:49 PM

Are the risers new?

Use newer driver and newer miner version. Blockchain driver is very outdated and not needed.

Yes, why not? There is nothing special on this mobo

Hi sxemini.

I'm facing an issue with oc/uc my modded RX580's , which I can do only with Beta Blockchain drivers. Thread opened here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5312692.0
With any other driver, oc/uc values are set back to bios stock values as it was forgiven to modify them.
Any idea?
Chadwicksracing

View Profile
February 01, 2021, 08:29:31 PM

Are the risers new?

Can you share your BIOS Version and settings?

I have this board and I cannot get it to post more than 1 GPU on risers.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: