Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 05:47:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Quantum Computer Will Destroy Bitcoin  (Read 301 times)
Cnut237
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1277

View Profile
November 16, 2020, 03:57:41 PM

Quantum Computer? How it could affect on Bitcoin

OP, this thread has already been mentioned - it's well worth a read!
But in case you don't want to go through the whole thing, here is my summary:

Hi all  Smiley I thought I’d try to summarise Bitcoin's vulnerabilities to Quantum Computers, as well as some potential defences, and get it all in one post. Apologies for the wall of text, but hopefully it is useful...

Mining can potentially be much quicker with QCs.
The current PoW difficulty system can be exploited by a Quantum Computer using Grover’s algorithm to drastically reduce the number of computational steps required to solve the problem. The theorised advantage that a quantum computer (or parallelised QCs) have over classical computers is a couple of orders of magnitude, so ~x100 easier to mine. This isn’t necessarily a game-changer, as this QC speed advantage is likely to be some years away, by which time classical computers will surely have increased speed to reduce the QC advantage significantly. It is worth remembering that QCs aren’t going up against run-of-the-mill standard equipment here, but rather against the very fast ASICs that have been set up specifically for mining.

Re-used BTC addresses are 100% vulnerable to QCs.
Address Re-Use. Simply, any address that is re-used is 100% vulnerable because a QC can use Shor’s algorithm to break public-key cryptography. This is a quantum algorithm designed specifically to solve for prime factors. As with Grover’s algorithm, the key is in dramatically reducing the number of computational steps required to solve the problem. The upshot is that for any known public key, a QC can use Shor’s approach to derive the private key. The vulnerability cannot be overstated here. Any re-used address is utterly insecure.

Processed (accepted) transactions are theoretically somewhat vulnerable to QCs.
Theoretically possible because the QC can derive private keys from used addresses. In practice however processed transactions are likely to be quite secure as QCs would need to out-hash the network to double spend.

Unprocessed (pending) transactions are extremely vulnerable to QCs.
As above, a QC can derive a private key from a public key. So for any unprocessed transaction, a QC attacker can obtain the private key and then create their own transaction whilst offering a much higher fee, so that the attacker’s transaction gets onto the blockchain first, ahead of the genuine transaction. So block interval and QC speed are both crucial here – it all depends on whether or not the a QC can hack the key more quickly than the block is processed.

Possible defences...

Defences using classical computers.
  • Modify the PoW system such that QCs don’t have any advantage over classical computers. Defending PoW is not as important as defending signatures (as above), because PoW is less vulnerable. However various approaches that can protect PoW against QCs are under development, such as Cuckoo Cycle, Momentum and Equihash.
  • Modify the signature system to prevent easy derivation of private keys. Again, various approaches are under development, which use some pretty esoteric maths. There are hash-based approaches such as XMSS and SPHINCS, but more promising (as far as I can tell) are the lattice-based approaches such as Dilithium, which I think is already used by Komodo.

Defences using quantum computers.
As I’ve said a few times, I’m more of a bumbling enthusiast than an expert, but exploiting quantum properties to defend against QC attack seems to me a very good idea. In theory properties such as entanglement and the uncertainty principle can offer an unbreakable defence. Again, people are busy researching this area. There are some quite astonishing ideas out there, such as this one.

Silberman
Legendary

Activity: 2534
Merit: 1337

View Profile
November 19, 2020, 05:40:50 PM

Quantum computers are still not as close as you think, so don't think about it now.
In theory and in practice, such a threat still exists.  When it becomes reality, it will be too late for many to panic.  They will simply be at a loss to consider their empty wallets.  However, the first thing to be wary of is the big whales.  In this case, they will be the first to be targeted by attackers.  Let's hope that by that time they will find how to secure the cryptocurrency from this problem.
As I have said before quantum computers are not going to be developed overnight so the developers are going to have years if not decades to prepare for that moment and by the time quantum computers come to the market the code of bitcoin would have been updated already, but let's suppose that quantum computers do come overnight and that governments or hackers use them to disrupt bitcoin, most likely at that point the code of bitcoin will be updated to resist further attacks and then a hard fork could be made before the attack took place restoring the blockchain as it was before all of that happened.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: