Bitcoin Forum
July 24, 2024, 06:19:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Just Made a Payment with the New Fees  (Read 3429 times)
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 03:12:14 AM

Thanks for the lesson DT.  So, are we correct to assume that these dynamics won't likely change in the future? (Iow there is no reason to suspect miner greed will become an issue)

The good thing about Bitcoin is it is an open network.  If some miners get to be too greedy, other miners will undercut them.  If some miners are too risky (cutting margins too thin) they will go bankrupt and be replaced by more conservative miners.  That is how open free networks self regulate.   You either believe in free markets or you don't.  If you don't then no system like Bitcoin (or any decentralized system) can ever work, they are doomed to failure from the genesis block. If you believe in free markets then the greed of any individual actor is irrelevant.  They will simply price themselves out of the market.

Thanks again for explaining.  Mining dynamics are one of the least understood aspects of bitcoin.  
I have to admit that I was a bit confused (no pun intended lol) , as far as the whole
"bitcoin and mining work by consensus", rather than competition.  I'm still not 100% clear
on the parts everyone must agree to (or a fork happens) versus the flexible parts.
Perhaps you can illuminate this distinction further for us.

BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 04:55:34 AM

I love you all.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 05:54:29 AM

"Little to no fees" is a favourable term I've seen used a lot.

The fee is based on the size of the data file and not the actual value of the coins being sent so it costs the same to send $10 or $10,000,000 worth of bitcoin.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

you are correct.
MarketNeutral

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 03:42:17 PM

Penny wise, pound foolish? This fixation people have with low or no fees is irrational when the fees are negligible—and actually do support the network. If you want to freely move dust, then perhaps find the right altcoin—but please do so whilst understanding the risks and opportunity cost vis-à-vis bitcoin and what bitcoin is not designed to do. Personally, unless I'm dealing with some of my coins from 2011, I typically substantially increase the suggested tx fee.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 06:40:41 PM

1) if you reply, that the fee only appears if a TX exceeds certain data size, then your simply agreeing that there was some code that was demanding fee's.

Yes, and that's a good thing.

You do believe that dust spam should have to pay a fee, don't you?

2) if you reply fresh addresses are more secure. i think you already argued days ago that 10^160 is strong enough security

I'd argue that they were more private, not necessarily more secure.

Fortunately, you aren't restricted to one-transaction-per-address by the protocol.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
steeev

Activity: 128
Merit: 103

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 08:32:56 PM

haven't made a transaction for a while now - used to include a fee of 0.0001 btc ...

so what's the new min. fee ?  0.00001 ?

that's half a cent... ?  not 5 cents...?

had a look on blockchain - all kinds of crazyshit in fees there, ( one tit even sent 0.1btc  fee for little more than that in spend )

so what's the chuffing fee now ?

...my mind is full of unh? and durrrr...
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 4737

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 08:38:06 PM

haven't made a transaction for a while now - used to include a fee of 0.0001 btc ...

had a look on blockchain - all kinds of crazyshit in fees there, ( one tit even sent 0.1btc  fee for little more than that in spend )

Many mining operations and peers are still running Bitcoin-Qt 0.8.x  Therefore, if you include a fee of less than 0.0001 BTC per kilobyte, you are likely to run into delays in getting the transaction confirmed since many peers won't relay the transaction, and many miners will ignore it.

As more people upgrade to version 0.9.0, transactions with smaller fees will be more likely to be relayed and confirmed.
steeev

Activity: 128
Merit: 103

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 08:56:13 PM

Many mining operations and peers are still running Bitcoin-Qt 0.8.x  Therefore, if you include a fee of less than 0.0001 BTC per kilobyte, you are likely to run into delays in getting the transaction confirmed since many peers won't relay the transaction, and many miners will ignore it.

As more people upgrade to version 0.9.0, transactions with smaller fees will be more likely to be relayed and confirmed.

ah, thank you so much sir,
you have made a drunken middleaged twat feel slightly less lost in this horrible world...
Brangdon

Activity: 365
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 09:16:03 PM

will people stop thinking that miners NEED fee's
25btc is more then enough to share between them every 10 minutes
You know that the 25 BTC isn't free either? It's paid for, by every owner of bitcoin, in the form of inflation. Everyone's BTC become worth slightly less with each block. It's as if using a credit card was free, but the government printed a few hundred million dollars each year and gave them to the credit card company.

Bitcoin: 1BrangfWu2YGJ8W6xNM7u66K4YNj2mie3t Nxt: NXT-XZQ9-GRW7-7STD-ES4DB
PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 09:28:57 PM

If you are sending more than 1 btc, a fee of 0.0001 btc at current btc price of around $600 is still very cheap, compared to feed of credit card and fiat wire transfer. Problem is when you are sending 0.01 btc or less
ning

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 12:59:00 AM

I know - beating a dead horse, but every time I have to pay, I ask myself why I tell people its free.

Free as in freedom?
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: