Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:24:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on Darkcoin  (Read 1968 times)
HysonCorp (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 04:21:28 AM

Recently I taken a liking in Crypto investment, and so far returns appears to warrant me to keep going.
to disclose. I have the following:

50% LTC  <- doing well in china.
20% Doge <- also doing well in china.
20% WDC  <- incredible speed and development.
10% others <- Test stuff.

around 300k USD in total, not a lot.

Recently, I am looking to add some funds in, at first, I thought of Vertcoin, but after a bit of discussion, I realize Vertcoin offers nothing different then Doge, in fact, it is a slower version of it only. Asic protection is a nice perk, but I am convinced that it is not going to be effective.  As such, I moved on to my next research, Darkcoin.

Now, this one seems interesting, I do think it has enough difference to have its own niche of survival.

can anyone here tell me more about it?
how does Darkcoin does it?
and will their innovation be vulnerable to any newer tools to unveil them?

Let me know. and thanks.
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Infectiphibian

Activity: 112
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 04:25:25 AM

It is first with x11 algo, first to make an improvement over KGW, and has a special feature called darksend. Darksend makes your transactions not so obvious in the blockchain. It also takes half the electricity of scrypt.
alison03

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

★Trash&Burn [TBC/TXB]★

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 05:49:40 AM

I'm also curious between darkcoin and blackcoin. I was interested in both of these for a hodl, longterm.
HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2014, 08:19:09 AM

300k in USD? I wish we had more rich investors like you

IloveAnonCoin

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 08:40:23 AM

X11 and SHA3 ( Keccak ) are not ASIC resistant at all, according to NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology), if you want to become SHA3 candidate, you need to be able to create by ASIC. AND every algorithms in X11 used to be SHA3 candidate until Keccak win the competition and become SHA3.

Here is the paper : http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/hash/sha-3/Round2/Aug2010/documents/papers/SCHAUMONT_SHA3.pdf
goin2mars

Merit: 10

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 10:57:40 AM

Recently I taken a liking in Crypto investment, and so far returns appears to warrant me to keep going.

50% LTC  <- doing well in china.

Recently, I am looking to add some funds in, at first, I thought of Vertcoin, but after a bit of discussion, I realize Vertcoin offers nothing different then Doge, in fact, it is a slower version of it only. Asic protection is a nice perk, but I am convinced that it is not going to be effective.  As such, I moved on to my next research, Darkcoin.

Now, this one seems interesting, I do think it has enough difference to have its own niche of survival.

Let me know. and thanks.

One of many things that brought me in was that I'm finding myself wondering what eduffield (main developer) will come up with next. Not because I'm looking for more, but because it seems like every week the guy comes and does something fantastic.

From what I can tell, there is a team of developers but the main announcements come from his account . . very well controlled approach.

Next on the list . . the question comes up as to why people mine the coin in the first place . . even though there's still a slim but definite margin in mining profitability. The push for people to continue to mine the coin, even through the few cents less a day they could produce if mining a different coin shows a strong community of supporters.

Leading into how the price held almost horizontal for some time . . this makes me think that the mining community here is not bent on immediate sales to other currencies and isn't looking to take this directly to the bank in less than a day. Backing this up so far is that the price grew by 25% and I didn't see everyone dumping immediately.

Then there's the rest of what comes with the coin itself . . which is the first coin to offer the x11 chained algorithm, the first coin to offer the DGW difficulty retargeting mechanism, a new approach to a trustless anonymous transaction system still in active beta, and a full time transparent software developer with many years of experience.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that in just a few months . . there's a lot more than just a good potential already on the table.
belmonty

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 11:11:03 AM

50% LTC  <- doing well in china.
20% WDC  <- incredible speed and development.

Recently, I am looking to add some funds in, at first, I thought of Vertcoin, but after a bit of discussion, I realize Vertcoin offers nothing different then Doge, in fact, it is a slower version of it only. Asic protection is a nice perk, but I am convinced that it is not going to be effective.  As such, I moved on to my next research, Darkcoin.

Let me know. and thanks.

One of many things that brought me in was that I'm finding myself wondering what eduffield (main developer) will come up with next. Not because I'm looking for more, but because it seems like every week the guy comes and does something fantastic.

From what I can tell, there is a team of developers but the main announcements come from his account . . very well controlled approach.

Next on the list . . the question comes up as to why people mine the coin in the first place . . even though there's still a slim but definite margin in mining profitability. The push for people to continue to mine the coin, even through the few cents less a day they could produce if mining a different coin shows a strong community of supporters.

Leading into how the price held almost horizontal for some time . . this makes me think that the mining community here is not bent on immediate sales to other currencies and isn't looking to take this directly to the bank in less than a day. Backing this up so far is that the price grew by 25% and I didn't see everyone dumping immediately.

Then there's the rest of what comes with the coin itself . . which is the first coin to offer the x11 chained algorithm, the first coin to offer the DGW difficulty retargeting mechanism, a new approach to a trustless anonymous transaction system still in active beta, and a full time transparent software developer with many years of experience.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that in just a few months . . there's a lot more than just a good potential already on the table.

Can people currently use the new approach to a trustless anonymous transaction system even though it is still in active beta? Does active beta mean it runs on the testnet or real network?
goin2mars

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 11:45:47 AM

Recently, I am looking to add some funds in, at first, I thought of Vertcoin, but after a bit of discussion, I realize Vertcoin offers nothing different then Doge, in fact, it is a slower version of it only. Asic protection is a nice perk, but I am convinced that it is not going to be effective.  As such, I moved on to my next research, Darkcoin.

Let me know. and thanks.

Can people currently use the new approach to a trustless anonymous transaction system even though it is still in active beta? Does active beta mean it runs on the testnet or real network?

The beta testing is on the mainnet. In the OP for the coin this is quoted as well . . along with directions on how to try it out.

eduffield
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1036

Dash Developer

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 05:30:54 PM

X11 and SHA3 ( Keccak ) are not ASIC resistant at all, according to NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology), if you want to become SHA3 candidate, you need to be able to create by ASIC. AND every algorithms in X11 used to be SHA3 candidate until Keccak win the competition and become SHA3.

Here is the paper : http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/hash/sha-3/Round2/Aug2010/documents/papers/SCHAUMONT_SHA3.pdf

The whole point of X11 is to try and get the same network growth cycle as Bitcoin. Once Darkcoin is worth enough, people will invest the capital to create the ASICs. I never really had an issue with that, in fact that was the point of creating a new hashing algorithm, I think it will be healthy in the end to move to ASICs.

Dash - Digital Cash | dash.org | dashfoundation.io | dashgo.io
Kai Proctor

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

01100100 01100001 01110011 01101000

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 06:40:34 PM

Each algorithm in X11 may individually be non resistant but it is not the case when they are combined. X11 is a set of hash functions and SHA3 is a hash function, apples and oranges.
lamontweaver

Activity: 85

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 07:35:44 PM

Darkcoin is one of the more interesting coins to me.

A competent, innovative developer not afraid to use his real name.

A proprietary anoymizing system , Darksend.

X11 chain hashing algorithm which is super secure, ASIC resistant and runs cooler on GPUs and with less wattage than Scrypt. X11 is being copied by other coins.

A difficulty retargeting system, Dark Gravity Wave, that is being copied by other coins.

As other coins steal Darkcoin's innovations, it focuses the spotlight more on Darkcoin.

I see better days ahead for Darkcoin.

paddox

Activity: 77

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 07:43:03 PM

It's one of the most innovative coins around.
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 07:51:12 PM

Let me know. and thanks.

This summary is pretty much why I decided about a month ago to ignore almost everything else and why I am focusing efforts to try and do what I can to support this project. No matter how good a project, it still needs volunteers to help it along and to gain momentum.

I've tried to immerse myself into the rationale for producing an anonymity bias coin and if it has defining characteristics that will take it into the top 10, or top 3 or if people will treat it as a gimmick or a pointless feature......while still keeping an open mind on zerocash, anoncoin and dark wallet, once educated into how public private data can get on the blockchain, the recent IRS announcement being an example, most people will get the point of these alt-coins and look at them as more investable than other alts. They have their own good story to tell, while still being functional payment tools.

The developers know that with the innovative features they have in the open, they can get a steady market cap that might push around the top 10 with a bit more marketing. DarkSend is the key feature at the moment that can take the project into the top 3.

There are some reservations about the branding in terms of medium term consumer adoption, but in the shot-term it is, on balance, probably more helpful than not. It's like the small bounce that silkroad gave to bitcoin bringing it extended free publicity where a debate was had about the anonymity side.

I've liquidated most other alts and some BTC into DRK. My reasonable size rig is mining DRK. I'm giving up my free time which clients pay a lot of money for.

I'm long on this one.
IloveAnonCoin

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 10:01:18 PM

The whole point of X11 is to try and get the same network growth cycle as Bitcoin. Once Darkcoin is worth enough, people will invest the capital to create the ASICs. I never really had an issue with that, in fact that was the point of creating a new hashing algorithm, I think it will be healthy in the end to move to ASICs.

So that means you never have intention to DO ASIC resistant since BEGINING.....

Why I need to invest in your coin if they is nothing different from BITCOIN HuhHuh?
greentea
Legendary

Activity: 1418
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 10:34:50 PM

Darkcoin would be a good move ... I'd take my money out of WDC if I were you, just another scrypt coin and you seem to be vested in litecoin and dogecoin both scrypt...

Take a look at Quark, 9 rounds of hashing from 6 hashing functions (blake, bmw, grøstl, JH, keccak, skein. 3 rounds apply a random hashing function.

NEM   NanoWallet   SuperNodes   Apostille   Landstead   Catapult   Mijin
▃▃▃▅▅▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▅▅▅▃▃▃
darkproton

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 10:47:16 PM

Why I need to invest in your coin if they is nothing different from BITCOIN HuhHuh?
please research.https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=538464.msg5931533#msg5931533
IloveAnonCoin

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 10:51:35 PM

please research.https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=538464.msg5931533#msg5931533

It’s decentralized (unlike zerocash, zerocoin, etc) <<<<<< Have you research ?
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 12:43:17 AM

It’s decentralized (unlike zerocash, zerocoin, etc) <<<<<< Have you research ?

They are building decentralized processes.

My only hesitation with Zerocash and zerocoin implementations - e.g. anoncoin - is they have publicly declared that the initial start process requires a trusted third party and there is a small risk that that third party can build back doors.

Zerocash also might suffer from the initial government funding of the project.
eightspaces

Activity: 126

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 12:44:55 AM

LOOOOOOOL thank u for making me burst
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 02:44:32 AM

LOOOOOOOL thank u for making me burst

Yea, WDC, as well as the other 5000 coins that are an identical copy of Litecoin with same hashing algorithm are going straight to 0.

Darkcoin is probably the #1 best option for possible future explosive growth at the moment.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░