Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:53:47 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coin for Good  (Read 67 times)
Invento (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2020, 01:05:59 AM

Hey guys,

A few years back a friend and I played with a coin that supports people who do good. The premise was to make a coin that was intentional for providing a better world, ie a coin with a purpose not to make money. Here were our requirements:

1. Support individuals and NGO's that provide services that directly help people or to help their situation directly
2. Proof of Stake so that we aren't contributing to greenhouse emissions, pollution and electricity availability
3. Masternode to help creating NGO's ability to be self sufficient
4. A voting body built in the coin to allow users of the chain to support their projects and prevent people from stealing from the community.

Our distribution was that each block would be funded

50% to funding individuals or NGO's
30% masternode/share distribution
10% to support the network development
10% advertising

We started it, ran the coin off a fork of PIVX and it went well, but we closed it due to needing more technical expertise. We also didn't make this public, it was just between me and a buddy for a year.

This idea keeps me wanting me to do it though, would anyone be interested this project or know of another project I could join that has similar goals?
Invento (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2020, 03:49:08 AM

I don't really know about the PIVX coin, but if the program reads the contents of this coin, it seems like this is very helpful for the community in improving the economy. and maybe now it's rare that a coin can really provide benefits to society.

I hear ya, that was the idea. I'm more of a reader vs a poster, but being in Crypto for 5ish years, I just noticed a lot of pump and dump schemes and coins being made for no real apparent purpose or "newness". They are just made to make the dev rich, I wanted to do something better. As a guy who ran a nonprofit for 20+ years, we always had a hard time finding money because we were so busy doing good work. The people drawn to NGO's aren't usually geared for business, marketing or finance. This makes a lot of big hearted poorly run groups and I would love to see this change. It would be awesome to make a coin that can be used and the process of using it funds them, masternodes to replenish their coffers.

As for PIVX, it doesn't need to be that coin fork, it was just a good fit at the time.
kolesozw
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

FRX: Ferocious Alpha

View Profile
December 21, 2020, 05:23:23 AM

"50% to funding individuals or NGO's"

What kind of NGO's you are planning to fund? Did you decide in what area, e.g., politics, rights, food supply?

I can support you if you choose stuff with real-life usage in the current situation like food supply/shelters, etc.

Invento (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2020, 05:43:40 AM

"50% to funding individuals or NGO's"

What kind of NGO's you are planning to fund? Did you decide in what area, e.g., politics, rights, food supply?

I can support you if you choose stuff with real-life usage in the current situation like food supply/shelters, etc.

Politics are excluded. They have enough money and never serve people directly. Religious affiliations would also be excluded, as there shouldn't be a tie to religion if you are trying to help someone, meet them on their own terms. Example is building a school which is amazing, but there isn't a need to have religious studies as requirement in the curriculum. That is my humble opinion.

It essentially would be decided by the group, but food supply, water supply, shelters, healthcare, water purification, renewable electrification, education and maybe even innovative R+D for low cost solutions. At least those would be the things I personally would vote for. 
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 27, 2020, 08:10:50 PM

The idea was good, I think it is worth continuing to move in this direction. Perhaps there are those who want to support such ideas. There are many problems in the world that need to be solved. People who want to help would definitely choose such projects. But to be honest, I haven't heard of similar projects.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: