Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:22:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: connect bitcoin through Tor software?  (Read 5936 times)
predic (OP)

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 27, 2011, 02:33:44 PM

hi, I am interested how to make bitcoin cleint using Tor software/network?
I see option "connect through socks4proxy" but I don't know how to use it.

I tried even with freecap and proximotron and tor vidalia, but I didn't succeed, bitcoin shutdown itself. now second time it is not shutdown but how can I check if Bitcoin use Tor or not?
freecap default proxy is 127.0.0.1 and port 9050, socks version 4.
I run bitcoin from freecap.

screenshot: http://i43.tinypic.com/2882fdt.jpg

debit cards websites are companies registered in London by Lithuanians who demand from you your phone, ID and utility bill, that's enough for them to make offshore companies on your name without your knowledge and they can get a bank account and make financial crimes on your name, or they can simply sell IDs. don't give to anyone too much info.
why they need more than your ID when your local bank demands only ID?
don't use coinbase, they are NSA spying shit, they make database of people that use bitcoins.
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Drsmite

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 07:29:25 PM

You can check to see if your proxy tunneling is successful by seeing if the Bitcoin client has made any connections to the network.  Your screenshot shows that you do indeed have connections to the outside world.  However, since you are running multiple proxies I'm not sure which one is actually being used.  You can look at your Vidalia network map and you should see some connections to port 8333.  If these connections do exist then congrats you are using TOR.
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 09:30:08 PM

add "proxy=localhost:9050" (assuming tor is listening on 9050) to bitcoin.conf

If you want to be more paranoid, also add "nolisten=1"

antihexe

Activity: 18

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 01:35:44 AM

I would not recommend trying to do this.

1.) It doesn't anonymize you any more than you already are (bitcoin is already anonymous and decentralized)

2.) Bitcoin client is essentially a torrent client. You are not supposed to run this on tor--it harms anonymity and puts undue stress on the network.

3.) Using tor browsing is safe enough--your goings on will not be tracked.  If you're worried about it, use something like instawallet.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 01:42:09 AM

1.) It doesn't anonymize you any more than you already are (bitcoin is already anonymous and decentralized)

2.) Bitcoin client is essentially a torrent client. You are not supposed to run this on tor--it harms anonymity and puts undue stress on the network.

3.) Using tor browsing is safe enough--your goings on will not be tracked.  If you're worried about it, use something like instawallet.

1.) A connected node could potentially identify the ip address that broadcast the transaction.
2.) Much lower bandwidth than a torrent... really not that much traffic.
3.) Instawallet is a good suggestion.  If you want to run a native client on tor anyway, and you aren't on Windows, torify is your friend.  If you run Windows, ask someone else.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
antihexe

Activity: 18

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 02:02:25 AM
Last edit: December 09, 2011, 03:10:39 AM by antihexe

I don't know about that. Block chains are huge over time. Like, way more than tor can move unless you run a node.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 05:51:46 AM

I don't know about that. Block chains are huge over time. Like, way more than tor can move unless you run a node.

I would download the chain the first time off TOR for sure, but regular traffic is pretty light.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2011, 07:41:03 PM

I would download the chain the first time off TOR for sure, but regular traffic is pretty light.
That's how I did it.

An instawallet is a great site, but it is "Not a bank"

Instawallet does not aspire to be a Bitcoin bank and as such can only provide a medium level of security. Please do not store more than some spare change here.

A client running behind tor with an encrypted wallet is much more like a bank.

0ni0ns

Activity: 40

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 09:49:28 AM

Try using badvpn-tun2socks

http://code.google.com/p/badvpn/wiki/tun2socks

It makes a tor network adapter. I have an entire VM with no direct internet access and everything works through tor without any config.
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2011, 10:21:44 PM

It makes a tor network adapter. I have an entire VM with no direct internet access and everything works through tor without any config.
That looks nice.  Not sure setting up an additional network adapter counts as no config, but still pretty simple.

Flip Tulipcoin

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 11:35:45 PM

1.) A connected node could potentially identify the ip address that broadcast the transaction.
2.) Much lower bandwidth than a torrent... really not that much traffic.
3.) Instawallet is a good suggestion.  If you want to run a native client on tor anyway, and you aren't on Windows, torify is your friend.  If you run Windows, ask someone else.
+1, except don't ever store your bitcoins with anyone unless your situation absolutely requires it. The rise of bitcoin "banks" and similar such is not a good thing.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the bandwidth requirement for the blockchain unless you are on an analog phone line or a 3G wireless connection, nor the data volume with respect to Tor. I did find that going through Tor resulted in fewer bitcoin peer connections and seem to greatly increase the latency of transaction confirmations.

Anyway, bitcoin isn't anonymous. To the contrary, it appears to me that it could be a good platform to train people in the principles of detecting activities that may be money laundering or other no-nos. Nice to have that blockchain out there, one wouldn't even need to generate a student example database.
0ni0ns

Activity: 40

View Profile
December 13, 2011, 11:44:09 PM

That looks nice.  Not sure setting up an additional network adapter counts as no config, but still pretty simple.

Well, I meant of any other applications. Everything just works, even things that I couldn't get to work with ProxyCap.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
December 14, 2011, 03:50:34 AM

Well, I meant of any other applications. Everything just works, even things that I couldn't get to work with ProxyCap.

Commenting to keep a reference to this wonderful link.

As for the OP, I wouldn't recommend Instawallet, since you already have (and can use) the main client, and I get the impression you will be using Bitcoin regularly. Instawallet is decent for what it does, but shouldn't be trusted with more than you can afford to lose.

If you want to stick to web browsing, StrongCoin.com lets you send transactions from your browser, but your private keys (which let you access your money) are never transmitted openly, and they never see them. You can also record the keys and still access your money if the site were shut down. It seems secure enough, for now, for light to average usage.

(I hope another service like theirs comes onto the scene soon, I'm starting to feel like they owe me advertising fees as much as I've been promoting them over Instawallet.)

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
racerguy

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 15, 2011, 02:53:09 AM

If  you're going to use an online wallet use one that doesn't have access to your priv keys and lets you use your own keys (so if the site disappears you still have your btc's).
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
December 17, 2011, 11:22:40 AM

nolisten is absolutely irrelevant, if you connect over a proxy/tor then you got the IP of the proxy, therefore others may try to connect to the proxy and not to you!

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
predic (OP)

View Profile
December 17, 2011, 10:10:02 PM

thank you all for answers, I will try tomorrow with proxy=localhost:9050 in bitcoin.config

debit cards websites are companies registered in London by Lithuanians who demand from you your phone, ID and utility bill, that's enough for them to make offshore companies on your name without your knowledge and they can get a bank account and make financial crimes on your name, or they can simply sell IDs. don't give to anyone too much info.
don't use coinbase, they are NSA spying shit, they make database of people that use bitcoins.
Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2011, 01:18:14 AM

nolisten is absolutely irrelevant, if you connect over a proxy/tor then you got the IP of the proxy, therefore others may try to connect to the proxy and not to you!
It may be irrelevant to you, but the peers that try and connect to you and have to wait for timeouts won't see it as irrelevant.

Although it looks like there was a patch that makes nolisten turned on by default if bitcoin sees a proxy on tor's default port.

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/441

predic (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2011, 02:48:14 PM

I can't find bitcoin.config file in windows xp: C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\Bitcoin

I use 0.4.0 version because I don't like localization of 0.5 version. I am in DK and I don't speak DK.

by the way, after longer waiting, now I have one connection and 11000 blocks:) so, it works:) I suppose Tor works with port 9050, although when I installed vidalia bundle, there is written Control port 9051:
http://i42.tinypic.com/2s6jxqo.jpg

I don't know what is different between port and control port, but I think all works fine:)

Red Emerald

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2011, 07:18:44 PM

I can't find bitcoin.config file in windows xp: C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\Bitcoin

I use 0.4.0 version because I don't like localization of 0.5 version. I am in DK and I don't speak DK.

by the way, after longer waiting, now I have one connection and 11000 blocks:) so, it works:) I suppose Tor works with port 9050, although when I installed vidalia bundle, there is written Control port 9051:
http://i42.tinypic.com/2s6jxqo.jpg

I don't know what is different between port and control port, but I think all works fine:)
I am pretty sure that you start out without a bitcoin.conf. Just make a text file and you are set.

The control port (9051) is different than the port tor listens on (9050).  It is for controlling tor (well named isn't it ;P).  It makes it possible to do things like tell tor to get a new identity from the command line.

Mike3574

Activity: 34

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 01:39:13 AM

Bitcoin transactions aren't really anonymous because your IP is broadcast with that transaction. Through your ISP you could then be identified. In my honest opinion I think the Bitcoin client should have something similar to TOR built into it and preconfigured. When that is done, Bitcoin will then be completely anonymous.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: