Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:37:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My Design Project - Custom 8 GPU Mining Case  (Read 410 times)
CryptoCreations (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2021, 07:00:07 PM
Last edit: April 06, 2021, 05:20:47 PM by CryptoCreations

Hello all! I wanted to share my design project. I got into mining back in 2018 and loved it. Built many machines, had 13 running in my own condo. I also build machines for others. I always thought there was room for improvement in mining cases. I told myself if crypto went on another bull run I would take the time to design a case.

I found a few key issues with most of the cases and frames on the market for GPU mining rigs:
1- Incomplete GPU mounting
most open air frames and even some server style enclosed cases don't full mount the GPUs. They only use the pcie bracket to secure the GPU and the risers are hanging from the GPU. I don't like this if you ever need to move or transport a machine, even in a car the GPU's will flop around get damaged. Shipping can be an issue as well.
2 - thermal management
Open air frames work great for GPU cooling since there they usually have large spacing between the GPUs. However they dont have great direction flow. Even frames with front facing fans just blow air over the GPUs but they have a large "exhaust" foot print. They are like a space heater. If you want to keep a room or space cool you have to manage the whole room.
3 - Noise
Enclosed cases and 4U cases are nice for direction flow and compact systems, but they are loud. Most of them have very close GPU spacing and require high speed fans 3000rpm+ for proper GPU temps. I like the server systems I built in the past but disliked running them in my home because of the noise.

I wanted to solve all these issues and came up with this:
- Vertical GPU mounting to take advantage of natural convection
- Large 140mm fans 4 wide to allow for larger GPU spacing and lower fans speeds
- 1 Intake and 1 exhaust for easy ventilation and easy HVAC ducting integration.
- looks reasonably cool and is cost effective

Edit: Support my indiegogo campiegn if you want to see this get made!
https://igg.me/at/cryptocreationscase/x/25424748#/

Let me know what you think! I want to have it manufactured so I can share it with the world.

https://c1.iggcdn.com/indiegogo-media-prod-cld/image/upload/c_limit,w_695/v1609373862/nrdlijwz2cdeb4ndlnn2.jpg
https://c1.iggcdn.com/indiegogo-media-prod-cld/image/upload/c_limit,w_695/v1609373919/vlioxusq82lbcqajv36z.jpg
https://c1.iggcdn.com/indiegogo-media-prod-cld/image/upload/c_limit,w_695/v1609373973/rhgkmig8payclb7snzdb.jpg
https://c1.iggcdn.com/indiegogo-media-prod-cld/image/upload/c_limit,w_695/v1609374023/v9dj2ygb3cvuoai9ti7c.jpg
https://c1.iggcdn.com/indiegogo-media-prod-cld/image/upload/c_limit,w_695/v1609374045/kfr9tdklxzvj4cg736ie.jpg
https://c1.iggcdn.com/indiegogo-media-prod-cld/image/upload/c_limit,w_695/v1609374089/phildimrqv09uf0hysxk.jpg
https://c1.iggcdn.com/indiegogo-media-prod-cld/image/upload/c_limit,w_695/v1609374169/fz38vn1r1aqpazotwmiq.jpg
https://c1.iggcdn.com/indiegogo-media-prod-cld/image/upload/c_limit,w_695/v1609374194/juthk4i82nbsbphbfhjy.jpg

https://youtu.be/LFfdMxYSH5s

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Longhorn901

Activity: 72
Merit: 17

View Profile
January 05, 2021, 09:34:23 PM

I like the design!
Very innovative, will this be aluminum?
Are you set up to manufacture these?
If so any idea of cost?

Visit Tribe Crypto on Discord! https://discord.gg/BzSeuGs/
sxemini

Activity: 1558
Merit: 69

View Profile
January 06, 2021, 05:29:31 AM

I don´t think cooling is better than a 4U Case. You must push your fans also to high speed to get good temps.

Cost effective? The construction of the case is expensive (big round edges), price is over 4U cases (i work in a sheet metal processing company as a constructor, we build all types of housings)

But it is nice to see that other people think about new solutions.
a test case to test the point temperature and volume would be good. maybe the result is better than expected.
mak013

Activity: 2352
Merit: 751

View Profile
January 06, 2021, 10:31:33 AM

As for me - this is bad idea. There are different cases such as 3-4 fans at front panel and the same quantity at rear panel. Another case - GPUs lays on the side and the backplate divided from the front, and cold air dons shuffles with hot.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
████████████▄▄██▄▄
████████████████████▄▄
░████▄▄████████████████
░█████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀██▀
█████████████████░▄██▄
████████████████░░▀██▀
███████████████
███████████
██████████
█████████
████████
██████████
Spyan

View Profile
January 06, 2021, 05:58:02 PM

I think it is a cool looking design. However, I think I would want a straight through design. If I had a bunch of these sitting on a shelf, they could be blowing on each other.
JayDDee

Activity: 1383
Merit: 220

View Profile
January 06, 2021, 07:08:29 PM

I see several problems.
How is issue 1 addressed? I don't se any additional GPU support, they just seem to hang from the bracket.
Issues 2 and 3 are in conflict. Cooling takes priority, if noise is an issue don't build a mining rig.
Rig needs to be raised to reduce intake obstruction.
Changing airflow direction increases resistance. Straight through is more efficient and enables stacking.
"Natural convection" is negated when fans are used.
Ducting support is interesting but would make the built-in low speed fans virtually useless. It needs high
speed fans to overcome the added resistance of the duct work.

xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2021, 07:41:09 PM

Design looks futuristic Smiley can be a great case for a computer , but not good at all for gpu mining .
GPUS NEED TO "BREATH" AS MUCH AS THEY CAN Smiley
Airflow cant be enough to cool those gpus  , sucking air from the bottom of the case , exhaust in the back ...
Cant not place those case on top of each other, if you do , you going to get warm air into the second case already.

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
miner29

Activity: 1261
Merit: 138

View Profile
January 06, 2021, 10:43:02 PM

Was going to say looks like older gpus in it for that...most of the new breed are anyways.
CryptoCreations (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2021, 03:19:43 AM

I like the design!
If so any idea of cost?

The side panels are Aluminum and the rest i expect to make from steel for cost reduction. I wan the side panels to look nice.

Some comments about other questions:

Whats not shown in detail is the GPU risers are rigid mounted with standoffs. They securely mount the GPU.

There is 2" of clearance between the bottom of the case and the intake. Its raised specifically for the purpose of low intake resistance.

Also, for cooling, there are 4 x 140mm fans which is much more flow area than the 3 standard 120mm fans for most 4U cases. This offers an entire extra fan plus the additional flow capacity of a 140mm fan. It will allow for lower fan speeds and there is a direct flow path between the GPU's and the fans.

Also not shown yet is the brackets to stack the cases on top of eachother.
mak013

Activity: 2352
Merit: 751

View Profile
January 07, 2021, 11:43:40 AM

Also, for cooling, there are 4 x 140mm fans which is much more flow area than the 3 standard 120mm fans for most 4U cases. This offers an entire extra fan plus the additional flow capacity of a 140mm fan. It will allow for lower fan speeds and there is a direct flow path between the GPU's and the fans.
It doesn`t matter really. I have 4*120delta in my case with speed regulator. It works about 30-40%. 70% was a maximum in closed room without any hood.

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
████████████▄▄██▄▄
████████████████████▄▄
░████▄▄████████████████
░█████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀██▀
█████████████████░▄██▄
████████████████░░▀██▀
███████████████
███████████
██████████
█████████
████████
██████████
miner29

Activity: 1261
Merit: 138

View Profile
January 07, 2021, 05:12:46 PM

I like the design!
If so any idea of cost?

The side panels are Aluminum and the rest i expect to make from steel for cost reduction. I wan the side panels to look nice.

Some comments about other questions:

Whats not shown in detail is the GPU risers are rigid mounted with standoffs. They securely mount the GPU.

There is 2" of clearance between the bottom of the case and the intake. Its raised specifically for the purpose of low intake resistance.

Also not shown yet is the brackets to stack the cases on top of eachother.

Ive got about $2 in each of my rig frames.... they hold up to 13 gpus each.  Just some bent sheet metal and a hand brake some pop rivets.  So for all 32 rigs i run total cost in chassis was about $64. 
deskless

Activity: 279
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 07, 2021, 05:33:27 PM

Recently one rig is shown on few news articles that has 78 3080 or 3090 GPUs. Seems like he has put them on a bedframe facing up. I think if I wanted to setup a new rig I could use similar design. If not a big bed , may be a kids bed that could probably keep upto 20 GPUs.
lunobird

Activity: 846
Merit: 115

View Profile
January 07, 2021, 08:15:03 PM

I like your ideas and agree that there is problems with gpu cases.  Would be great if you can make something compact and quiet, and secure.

I think for this vertical design to work well specific gpu brand cooling would be needed.  MSI has horizontal fins that mimicks active cooling heat sinks.  Evga heatsinks are vertical fins so air does not flow as well.

A question about the rounded top of your case? Is this so you can stack multiple cases on top of each other? If so sounds like a good idea so heat isn't transfered to the stacked case

Seems like a simple box top chassis shape would be cheaper and good for airflow however cases can't be stacked.

Awesome keep up the good work and can't wait to see this get tested.  

I'm assuming something like an evga 1600 watt would be supported? It's a little longer of a power supply.  Dual mount power supply looks good. I like how it's similar to corsair cases where the powersupply is in a separate chamber

CryptoCreations (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2021, 01:44:27 AM

I like your ideas and agree that there is problems with gpu cases.  Would be great if you can make something compact and quiet, and secure.

I think for this vertical design to work well specific gpu brand cooling would be needed.  MSI has horizontal fins that mimicks active cooling heat sinks.  Evga heatsinks are vertical fins so air does not flow as well.

A question about the rounded top of your case? Is this so you can stack multiple cases on top of each other? If so sounds like a good idea so heat isn't transfered to the stacked case

Seems like a simple box top chassis shape would be cheaper and good for airflow however cases can't be stacked.

Awesome keep up the good work and can't wait to see this get tested.  

I'm assuming something like an evga 1600 watt would be supported? It's a little longer of a power supply.  Dual mount power supply looks good. I like how it's similar to corsair cases where the power supply is in a separate chamber

The case will work with blower style GPUs and normal fan style GPU's. For example and AMD Vega 56 reference and an Asus Strix Vega 56. The fans will still pull heat from GPUs that vent sideways vs vertical.
That case will be stackable, I still need to add the brackets for it.
It will support longer PSU's like the EVGA 1600, the PSUs in the pictures are longer versions like the 1600.

Ive got about $2 in each of my rig frames.... they hold up to 13 gpus each.  Just some bent sheet metal and a hand brake some pop rivets.  So for all 32 rigs i run total cost in chassis was about $64. 

I cant say the case will be anything close to $2! Its going to be closer to $200, just over the cost of a nice ATX Full tower case.
CryptoCreations (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2021, 05:49:23 PM

Added a link to my indiegogo campiegn! If I raise enough it can be manufactured and made available to the public.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/crypto-creations-8-gpu-crypto-currency-mining-case#/
CryptoCreations (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2021, 05:21:39 PM

updated indiegogo campeign. If you want to see this get build and made available to the public. Suppot me here:
https://igg.me/at/cryptocreationscase/x/25424748#/
hellscreamer

Activity: 47
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 06, 2021, 05:29:49 PM

Grin just 3 points to make

2022 will need 3 PSU

Press forming is quite expensive & hard to move around the world

If this thing can fit in a 6-8U rack , then datacenter may be interested too
CryptoCreations (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2021, 05:08:18 PM

I want to make a version for 12-13GPUS that has 3 power supplies. But X2 1000W or 1600W power supplies is enough for most 8GPU systems.
arabspaceship123

Activity: 868
Merit: 190

I'm a web developer. Hire me for your work.

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2021, 09:54:40 PM

It's a good modern design concept but something's got to be wrong when you haven't received a single pledge on the funding page. Will you modify the design if the fundraising doesn't bring you any funds?

I want to make a version for 12-13GPUS that has 3 power supplies. But X2 1000W or 1600W power supplies is enough for most 8GPU systems.

██████████   ARABSPACESHIP 123     سفينة الفضاء العربية ١٢٣   ██████
|  | ||     |   
avatar & signature available to rent   |     || |  |

█████████████████  
Hire me to design your websites   █████████████████
CryptoCreations (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2021, 02:07:52 AM

I really have not spent enough time advertising the design. I have to make you tube videos and contact vendors to get support. I was hoping regular indiegogo investors would support it but It needs more crypto community influence. I will update and modify the design as needed to support current and future mining needs.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: