Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 05:26:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ETH 1660ti Mobile version 6GB vram getting bad hashrate  (Read 326 times)
JoeBobJr (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2021, 03:45:42 AM
Last edit: January 21, 2021, 04:30:14 AM by JoeBobJr

Am I missing something here? I know the dag file increased which makes 4gb cards useless but my laptop gpu has 5991MB of vram and I'm still only able to hash around 15.5 Mh/s this card is suppose to reach 28-30 Mh/s. Does nvidia require a bios update like AMD that I am not aware of?

According to whattomine and some other site this card should be around 28-30 Mh/s.

I can't find any info on this card about anyone having bad hashrates so I'm not sure what to do at this point. I have been mining CFX Octopus since it's getting good hash rates but i'd much rather be mining ether!

I'm hashing CFX Octopus at 27 Mh/s! I know it's a different algorithm but still. I'm confused.

GPU-Z Screenshot
http://i.epvpimg.com/dThgbab.png
mak013

Activity: 2380
Merit: 756

View Profile
January 21, 2021, 07:55:58 AM

How you overclock it? What OS do you use? If it windows - do you use MSI afterburner? Try to google some information by yourself, it`s really easy question without any information from you.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
████████████▄▄██▄▄
████████████████████▄▄
░████▄▄████████████████
░█████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀██▀
█████████████████░▄██▄
████████████████░░▀██▀
███████████████
███████████
██████████
█████████
████████
██████████
Claudio99

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
January 21, 2021, 08:18:32 AM

Mobile GPUs (in laptops ) are always weaker than real graphic cards mate, you can do a comparison between a mobile gtx1660ti vs the real gtx1660ti, you will see that the standalone gtx1660ti is more powerful, also I don't recommend mining with your laptop, a laptop that can have a gtx1660ti is costly I believe

Eco_111

Activity: 210
Merit: 14

View Profile
January 21, 2021, 08:42:46 AM

Mobile GPUs (in laptops ) are always weaker than real graphic cards mate, you can do a comparison between a mobile gtx1660ti vs the real gtx1660ti, you will see that the standalone gtx1660ti is more powerful, also I don't recommend mining with your laptop, a laptop that can have a gtx1660ti is costly I believe
It's roughly same spec with the laptop, I've just checked using Google right now, they are both using Gddr6 memory and the clock speed are near identical, it should hash more than 15mhs, something is wrong, but all the same you will kill your laptop if you use it for mining
styleshifter

Activity: 155
Merit: 14

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2021, 09:02:10 AM

On a desktop GPU you would use MSI Afterburner and set TDP to 65% and Memory to +800 maybe +1000.
This would reduce the power usage and increase the hashrate about 4-5 MH/s.

Latest Crypto Miner App - Get the latest mining software from official sources & receive update notifications
https://latest-miner.web.app --- https://bitcointalk.org/?topic=5073731.0 --- https://twitter.com/styleshifter1
Phoenix_PROG

Activity: 224
Merit: 28

View Profile
January 21, 2021, 09:20:42 AM

Is your windows OS up to date? No other updates going on in the background? Also try increasing page file too, might actually help out, I will like to warn you though, do not mine on that laptop for 24/7, you will burn some things inside due to massive heat, laptop isn't a good choice for Mining that's why people don't mine on them
KaratX

Activity: 252
Merit: 29

View Profile
January 21, 2021, 10:56:25 AM

You should be getting 27mhs atleast, what type of miner are you using? Try changing the miner to Nicehash or Minerstat software and see if there is a change, also are you sure that your laptop only has a single gpu activated? I've seen few with more than a single gpu and it's conflicting with each other

Greatdev

Activity: 266
Merit: 16

View Profile
January 21, 2021, 11:10:21 AM

Am I missing something here? I know the dag file increased which makes 4gb cards useless but my laptop gpu has 5991MB of vram and I'm still only able to hash around 15.5 Mh/s this card is suppose to reach 28-30 Mh/s. Does nvidia require a bios update like AMD that I am not aware of?

According to whattomine and some other site this card should be around 28-30 Mh/s.

I can't find any info on this card about anyone having bad hashrates so I'm not sure what to do at this point. I have been mining CFX Octopus since it's getting good hash rates but i'd much rather be mining ether!

I'm hashing CFX Octopus at 27 Mh/s! I know it's a different algorithm but still. I'm confused.

GPU-Z Screenshot

Hm, what could be the problem? Go to power settings and put the power mode to highest performance first, go into BIOS settings and off any integrated GPU (iGPU in BIOS) also try to increase the page file, you can use google to find how, I will also like to know the RAM size of your laptop

Greatdev

Activity: 266
Merit: 16

View Profile
January 21, 2021, 11:12:18 AM

I don't recommend mining for hours on your laptop, if it gets too heated some hardware resistors might get loose and your laptop will stop working, it's not recommended to mine CPU and GPU coins on laptop, they aren't built for that purpose due to high heat

miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
January 21, 2021, 02:20:50 PM

Remeber this is a mobile gpu so everything about it is low power.  Thus dont expect much.

And mining on a laptop is one step up from phone mining.  Both are bad ideas.
JoeBobJr (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2021, 03:27:16 PM
Last edit: January 21, 2021, 03:39:30 PM by JoeBobJr

It's roughly same spec with the laptop, I've just checked using Google right now, they are both using Gddr6 memory and the clock speed are near identical, it should hash more than 15mhs, something is wrong, but all the same you will kill your laptop if you use it for mining

I watch my heat all the time I never let it get over 75C I try to keep it around 72C I always have a box fan blowing on the laptop. Heat is not an issue unless you allow it to be.

Is your windows OS up to date? No other updates going on in the background? Also try increasing page file too, might actually help out, I will like to warn you though, do not mine on that laptop for 24/7, you will burn some things inside due to massive heat, laptop isn't a good choice for Mining that's why people don't mine on them

Yeah I'm always up to date on windows 10. Check them regularly always a habit.

Pagefile is set to 30 GB. My card has 6gb of memory I read online that 30gb is right for one card with 6gb of memory.

Heat is the only thing that will mess up any computer device and I never let my laptop get over 74C I keep it around 69C to 73C with a box fan on it and the bottom of the laptop cover removed and I have it elevated so it gets plenty of airflow. I monitor temps all day long.

You should be getting 27mhs atleast, what type of miner are you using? Try changing the miner to Nicehash or Minerstat software and see if there is a change, also are you sure that your laptop only has a single gpu activated? I've seen few with more than a single gpu and it's conflicting with each other

I have tried all the miners available that are the best. I'm currently using the most up to date t-rex miner. I've tried phoenix miner, and also some others. I've also tried nicehash and it will pick octopus or something else never eth. It also shows eth speeds at 15 mh/s or so.

This is an Omen 15 gaming laptop. I bought it about 6 months ago. I'm an I.T. tech and a big time gamer I am 100% sure I know what this laptop has in it. I even posted a picture of GPU-Z.

GPU-Z Screenshot
Hm, what could be the problem? Go to power settings and put the power mode to highest performance first, go into BIOS settings and off any integrated GPU (iGPU in BIOS) also try to increase the page file, you can use google to find how, I will also like to know the RAM size of your laptop

I have it on the highest setting for the performance. I even set it to the highest-profile in the Omen Gaming Hub software also. I have not checked anything in the bios yet to see if there might be something that could change it that's a good idea I will check the bios settings soon. As far as I know, it doesn't have onboard graphics it has a dedicated GTX 1660ti card. It's an Omen 15 gaming laptop. Page file is set to 30GB I just increased it from 16gb that it was currently at last night thinking that might help still same speeds.

The laptop has 16GB of ram.

This is the exact laptop that I have https://www.amazon.com/HP-15-Inch-i7-9750H-Processor-15-dc1020nr/dp/B07SG1DY8T

Mighty_crypt

Activity: 784
Merit: 21

View Profile
January 21, 2021, 03:37:28 PM

I watch my heat all the time I never let it get over 75C I try to keep it around 72C I always have a box fan blowing on the laptop. Heat is not an issue unless you allow it to be.

Pagefile is set to 30 GB. My card has 6gb of memory I read online that 30gb is right for one card with 6gb of memory.

Heat is the only thing that will mess up any computer device and I never let my laptop get over 74C I keep it around 69C to 73C with a box fan on it and the bottom of the laptop cover removed and I have it elevated so it gets plenty of airflow. I monitor temps all day long.

I have tried all the miners available that are the best. I'm currently using the most up to date t-rex miner. I've tried phoenix miner, and also some others. I've also tried nicehash and it will pick octopus or something else never eth. It also shows eth speeds at 15 mh/s or so.

This is an Omen 15 gaming laptop. I bought it about 6 months ago. I'm an I.T. tech and a big time gamer I am 100% sure I know what this laptop has in it. I even posted a picture of GPU-Z.

Nicehash software is picking octopus algorithm (Conflux) because it's the most profitable coin to mine for your gtx1660ti, also the mobile GPUs are always weaker than the real desktop GPUs, I'm sure that's why Nicehash pointed Octopus algorithm for you instead, do not stress yourself, you can't get anything better than this

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
JoeBobJr (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2021, 03:41:39 PM

Nicehash software is picking octopus algorithm (Conflux) because it's the most profitable coin to mine for your gtx1660ti, also the mobile GPUs are always weaker than the real desktop GPUs, I'm sure that's why Nicehash pointed Octopus algorithm for you instead, do not stress yourself, you can't get anything better than this

It picked octopus because eth isn't getting the speeds it is suppose too and that's the only reason. This card is suppose to get 28 Mh/s on eth and it gets 15 which is half that. No one can convince me that a mobile gpu gets half the speeds of a desktop one when the stats are almost identical. I'm still trying to figure out why it's not hashing at the speeds this card is capable of.
JoeBobJr (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2021, 04:11:53 PM
Last edit: January 21, 2021, 05:56:26 PM by JoeBobJr

All PC Specs. I'm also using a 500GB Samsung Evo SSD. The bottom of my laptop is removed so the heat can dispurse better. I also have it elevated so that the bottom of the laptop is not touching the table. I also keep a box fan running 24/7 on it my max gpu temp has never been over 73C it normally stays around 69-71c.

http://i.epvpimg.com/YkIKeab.png
http://i.epvpimg.com/bQ7Ycab.png
http://i.epvpimg.com/cfKjgab.png
http://i.epvpimg.com/idNZbab.png

Geforce Game Ready Driver 461.09 (most current drivers)

MSI Afterburner settings
http://i.epvpimg.com/GkOlfab.png

Mining ETH on t-rex & on Pheonix
http://i.epvpimg.com/Ww1dcab.png
http://i.epvpimg.com/IKXOeab.png
http://i.epvpimg.com/ADQefab.png
http://i.epvpimg.com/rxUefab.png

Mining CFX Octopus t-rex
http://i.epvpimg.com/JQ4Bfab.png

No idea why my last image I posted didn't show up maybe my account isn't good enough on here to show images so I apologize maybe someone who has privileges can reply so it will show up on their reply.
miner29

Activity: 1264
Merit: 138

View Profile
January 21, 2021, 06:49:17 PM

It picked octopus because eth isn't getting the speeds it is suppose too and that's the only reason. This card is suppose to get 28 Mh/s on eth and it gets 15 which is half that. No one can convince me that a mobile gpu gets half the speeds of a desktop one when the stats are almost identical. I'm still trying to figure out why it's not hashing at the speeds this card is capable of.

No a regular non mobile 1660ti gets 28mhs...you have a mobile version which means everything is different.  Your vrms are going to be lower power ...all the subsystem on the card will be low power versions.  Thats why it is the mobile version.  If it was exactly the same as the regular 1660ti it would not have the mobile designstion and not be used in a laptop.  Laptops are specifically designed using components that are optimized for the lower power (battery) mode of the laptop.

You dont seem to get it.....if you want to prove it out go get an external gpu designed to hookup to a laptop and it will mine at full speed.  I know this becuase i own several.  
when you open up the external case the gpu comes in...its has a standard gpu in it.  This is NOT what your laptop has in it.  

The SSD doesnt matter.  I run my rigs off Thumbdrives just fine.  And on a lot less powerful computers than your laptop.  Mining on a laptop is only barely better than mining on a phone...both are really bad ideas. 
JoeBobJr (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2021, 07:08:37 PM

No a regular non mobile 1660ti gets 28mhs...you have a mobile version which means everything is different.  Your vrms are going to be lower power ...all the subsystem on the card will be low power versions.  Thats why it is the mobile version.  If it was exactly the same as the regular 1660ti it would not have the mobile designstion and not be used in a laptop.  Laptops are specifically designed using components that are optimized for the lower power (battery) mode of the laptop.

You dont seem to get it.....if you want to prove it out go get an external gpu designed to hookup to a laptop and it will mine at full speed.  I know this becuase i own several.  
when you open up the external case the gpu comes in...its has a standard gpu in it.  This is NOT what your laptop has in it.  

The SSD doesnt matter.  I run my rigs off Thumbdrives just fine.  And on a lot less powerful computers than your laptop.  Mining on a laptop is only barely better than mining on a phone...both are really bad ideas.  

I understand just fine it seems like you don't understand at all. Every crypto coin I've tried to mine so far hit the numbers that every website says it will hit but eth. I'm mining octopus at 27 Mh/s which is faster than whattomine.com shows it to run. I've tested many other algorithms and all of them hit the numbers that are shown on what to mine except for eth. I'm an I.T. Tech I know all about laptops, desktops, etc and how they function and work. The only reason people don't suggest to mine on laptops is because of heat and only heat. Heat is not an issue I've already resolved the heat issues. I'm making $2 a day right now mining octopus so to sit there and try to act like mining on a laptop is a bad idea just shows that you don't really know what you are talking about and have not read a single thing I've said in this thread. You are only going off what you HEARD others say and not your own experiments. It's already been proven that laptop gpus are only slightly less powerful than the same desktop gpus anywhere from 10-20%. This card is showing 50% less on eth so either way, the numbers are off for only eth. I thought I was doing something wrong but I've tried everything and still haven't seen the numbers on eth go up any. I just have pretty much given up and just stick to CFX Octopus because it's paying good.

To compare a phone and a laptop on mining just shows how ignorant you are. You are trying to compare a phone mining to cpu mining not gpu mining. You are not even worth talking to I prefer you not to respond again otherwise imma have to roast you on tech shit.
Mr.merson

Activity: 200
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 21, 2021, 07:14:05 PM

GPU-Z Screenshot

Do a quick test with hiveos (from usb), it is well known that some cards are affected by performance loss due to progressive size of the ethereum dag file (Windows only).
percy_tc

Activity: 583
Merit: 106

View Profile
January 21, 2021, 08:57:56 PM

I do mine on 1660ti Mobile, getting 23Mh without any overclock.
JoeBobJr (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2021, 03:39:06 AM

Do you mind me asking what version of windows 10 are you using? It could be the version I have is just not good or something. I've heard of weirder shit. I'm on home edition since it came on this laptop but I have a copy of pro and enterprise not sure if the versions are the same or not. I do have this windows 10 up to date on updates so I don't know if that would matter. Even if it was an older version when I got it, it should be the newest version since I've done all the windows updates.

I actually went to hiveos to see if I could download a version to use on a USB and all I saw was versions for the actual graphics cards like you install the os on the graphics card? I looked around the site and couldn't find a download to install like a Linux on USB. I'll look again maybe I missed it somehow.
philipma1957
Legendary

Activity: 4130
Merit: 7912

'The right to privacy matters'

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2021, 04:25:40 AM

you overclocked the shit out of the memory for the gpu.

set it lower try 200 not 899

the memory is too hot and it is throttling the eth hashrate.

All PC Specs. I'm also using a 500GB Samsung Evo SSD. The bottom of my laptop is removed so the heat can dispurse better. I also have it elevated so that the bottom of the laptop is not touching the table. I also keep a box fan running 24/7 on it my max gpu temp has never been over 73C it normally stays around 69-71c.

Geforce Game Ready Driver 461.09 (most current drivers)

MSI Afterburner settings

Mining ETH on t-rex & on Pheonix

Mining CFX Octopus t-rex

No idea why my last image I posted didn't show up maybe my account isn't good enough on here to show images so I apologize maybe someone who has privileges can reply so it will show up on their reply.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀