Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:59:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin and Diaspora  (Read 1774 times)
doobadoo (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 06:03:03 AM

I don't know if any devs are following Diaspora http://diasporafoundation.org/

But wouldn't it be neat if the diaspora pod also hosted a wallet.  Could prolly encrypt it with the login/pass for the account.  This would allow users to send eachother bitcoin.  Think of ebay colliding with facebook.  Diaspora can be so many things.  Any thoughts, would it be a big job to somehow embed bitcoin into Diaspora?  Any one up to the challenge?  I'm sure the devs would be receptive.  There are currently no apps on the Diaspora platform.  Should this be a priority?

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 12:05:02 PM

Bitcoin is made for social networking. Think of the possibilities. Microtransactions required to post would squelch spam and financially support the network. Advertisements would be superfluous. 'Like' buttons would reward some small amount. Business Businesses would find each other more easily without worrying about a lot of noise.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
doobadoo (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 04:06:36 PM

following this, if they support bitcoin, i will support them. Smiley

They do, sent them a few coins recently.  Love this project.  I feel that its going to really take off, they will have to figure out how to run more servers the demand will be so big.  Diaspora pulls in all your data from every site.  Twitter, Facebook, etc.   you can Dual post to both diaspora and fb/twitter.   Its only an alpha.  I encourage you to request a login, or give them a donation and send the block explorer link and they'll hook u up. 

If we could embed bitcoin into this thing from that start, just think of how many people might be introduced to it thru this service.  The goal is a privacy aware, user controlled, distributed social network.  I swear, this is going to be the standard once poeple pull their heads out their ass and smell all the facebook spying.

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees
doobadoo (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 04:11:04 PM

Microtransactions required to post would squelch spam and financially support the network. Advertisements would be superfluous. 'Like' buttons would reward some small amount. Business Businesses would find each other more easily without worrying about a lot of noise.

Think even bigger.  Diaspora will be hosted on plug computers that will take the place of your routers (youtube freedombox).  You will invite your friends to host their "pods" with you.  Hosting won't cost anything really.  Thus, there is no need for advertising and there will never be any adverts on Diaspora.  

As per using bitcoin, i'd like to see some one write an app or some code for Diaspora that will let people list items, craigslist style.  They can use their social avatar for buying/selling too.  The payment method?  You guessed it.  That would be real powerful.  Why pay tolls to ebay?  Why shouldnt your selling rep and online social profile be one and the same?

i wish i was a skill programmer, cuz i'd be in there hacking this out.

doobadoo (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2011, 06:57:09 PM

following this, if they support bitcoin, i will support them. Smiley

I like this project so far and will follow it. However when I went to their donation site all I found was paypal and something else. I did not see where I could give bitcoin. Can you please post a link in the thread? Thanks.

https://www.diasporafoundation.org/donate#bitcoin

1H63WEQbK45K3xgC7DRfphMWMJMZHrX542

herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2011, 11:08:17 AM

Just shared this thread on DIASPORA* if no one minds  Cool

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
jojkaart

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 08:18:44 PM

Ripple system implementation through diaspora would also be perfect match. Perhaps even better than Bitcoin. Unfortunately, a suitable implementation of Ripple doesn't exist yet (to my knowledge).

P.S. If you don't know what Ripple is, check the video on http://www.ripplepay.com/
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 03:12:22 PM

Ripple system implementation through diaspora would also be perfect match. Perhaps even better than Bitcoin. Unfortunately, a suitable implementation of Ripple doesn't exist yet (to my knowledge).

P.S. If you don't know what Ripple is, check the video on http://www.ripplepay.com/

Ripple denominated in Bitcoin. Settle your debts with actual coin, or transfer your debt via a credit you have with a mutual friend.

Beautiful.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
bc

Activity: 72

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 05:07:48 AM

Ripple denominated in Bitcoin. Settle your debts with actual coin, or transfer your debt via a credit you have with a mutual friend.

Beautiful.

+1
I've always envisioned ripple with dollars. Duh.

"Democracy is the original 51% attack." - Erik Voorhees
jojkaart

Activity: 97

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 11:39:23 AM

Beautiful.

+1

My own personal favourite would be to just count value using hours. While I do like the idea of using Ripple with Bitcoin denomination, the value is still way too unstable for that.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 12:27:58 PM

Beautiful.

+1

While I like the idea of Ripple, it will be many generations before people are enlightened enough for it to work. Dollars are too often counterfeit and assessed fees. Bitcoin will help teach us to trust in the human spirit because we will have a super liquid money that can't be blocked or controlled. Human ingenuity will attract Bitcoin to the creative people and allow them to elevate civilization as only technology can. Bitcoin is part of the punctuated equilibrium we need to become a type one civilization on Z-Day. Grok.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 01:03:04 PM

Beautiful.

+1

I like Ripple, but it may be generations before people are trustworthy enough. Bitcoin will teach us that money can be attracted to people with creativity and ingenuity without intimidation from a corporatist judiciary. Bitcoin is part of the punctuated equilibrium we need to to allow the human spirit of creativity to thrive and bring civilization to the next level. Type one. Z-Day. Grok.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: