Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:26:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 1000 BTC gold bar  (Read 8761 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 06:03:18 AM

Just thought I would post this image of my newly homemade 1000 BTC gold bar.

This is a 1-of-a-kind bar I did with some laser equipment I recently acquired.  It looks really sweet!  I'm not selling it, though I can probably be talked into making some if there's any serious interest from those of you who happen to have 1000 BTC lying around and want it in the form of a bar.  It is a derivative of the 100 BTC bar I actually have been selling.

I lasered the denomination both into the bar, and into the hologram.  The laser seems to give the hologram a neat glittery effect.

The bitcoins on the bar are real: http://blockexplorer.com/address/1AVLk3NSP7djqjPdRNff3CzVMqobk4imup

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Coinabul

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 06:15:31 AM

Is that 100% real gold? Cheesy

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 06:19:25 AM

Is that 100% real gold? Cheesy

Real gold plated.  And the bitcoins are 100% real.

I would do a solid gold coin or gold bar if provided the coin or bar in the right dimensions.  The mint doing my silver coins would also probably do gold coins but I would have to do them in a quantity that made economic sense... which is probably going to be unlikely.  I suppose I could do it if I merely intended to hold the gold, but that would be a lot of gold.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 06:57:35 AM

Sweet.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
viboracecata
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 07:46:38 AM

very cool man, but I prefer and only can afford your 0.01 BTC bar

iBuilding A Better Interneti
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

█b
▐█=
║█
██                                         ¡▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄┌
██M                                  ╒▄▄▄▄█▀    ▂▂ ╙▀▀▆▄
██▌                                ╓, ,██╨      ▀▀▀    ╜▀█▌
███                                ▀▀██╙     ▄▄▄▄▄      ╓█L
█ █▌                            ▄▄▄▄█▀          └▀▀▀▀█Φ█▀"
█▌ █▄                            ██▀           ▄█▀
▐▌  ▀▌                       ▀▄██▀            ▄▀
▐█     ▂▂▂                ▄  ▄█▀           ▄▄▀
 █▌  ╙▀▀▀▀▀█▄         ▄   ███▀     ▁▂▃▄▄▄█▀▀
  █▄        █▌    █▄  ██▄█▀        ▔▔╙▀▐█
   █▄       █▌ ▀▀████▀▀▀               ▐▌
    ▀█     █▀                          ▐▌
     ╙█▄  ▄▌                        ╓█ ▐█
       └▀██  ╓▄▄µ╓▄▄µ            ,▄█▀┘  █▌    ▄▄ ╓▄▄µ
         ██▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄       ╓▄▄█▀▀      ▀█▄█▀▀▀██▄╙▀█▄▄
          ▀╙    ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀╙           `      "▀▀  └╙
You Can See Me Now, Hi :}
VARANIDA

▄██   ▄███▄
              ▄███████  ██
              ██    ▀████▀
             ██
  ▄▄  ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▄▄
▄███████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████
▀███████    █████    ███████▀
  ▀█████    █████    █████▀
   ███████████████████████
    █████▄  ▀▀▀▀▀  ▄█████
     ▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
|Hello Again
GWhitePaperG
GAnn ThreadG
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 02:55:46 PM

Very nice! I'm practically drooling.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
ultima

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 03:24:03 PM

How many ounces of gold is this?
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 03:40:28 PM

It's gold plated.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 03:43:16 PM

It's gold plated.

Likely in the micrograms. 
ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
November 29, 2011, 03:46:37 PM

how much would this cost? (in BTC)

(BFL)^2 < 0
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2011, 04:11:21 PM

I am already selling a blank collector's bar on my website.  All this is, is the blank bar, with a lasered-on denomination and hologram.

Buy my bar, and I will add a hologram and any denomination you want.  However, you will need to send me the BTC equal to the denomination and I will pre-load it, as it counts as a valid bar and I can't have them floating around unloaded.  (I reserve the right to charge for the lasering, but at this point, I will do it for free with purchase of the bar).

(While I am at it, I can laser just about anything else - for example, if a 50 BTC bar were gifted from bosses to employees for Christmas, it could say "50 BTC from all of us at..." and a company logo).

MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2011, 04:46:02 AM

Now you can use Paypal or a CC to buy it!

http://www.memorydealers.com/1000-casascius-bitcoins-gold-bar.html

repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
December 01, 2011, 11:29:15 PM

I just realised that you're essentially selling Bitcoins for as low as a third of the price currently being asked on the exchanges.

I'm surprised people aren't buying them purely to sell the Bitcoins on the exchanges - pretty be damned!

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2011, 11:35:13 PM

I just realised that you're essentially selling Bitcoins for as low as a third of the price currently being asked on the exchanges.

I'm surprised people aren't buying them purely to sell the Bitcoins on the exchanges - pretty be damned!

How did you determine this?  It looks to me like he is charging a 13.5% markup over the price on the exchanges.

Shuai

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 01, 2011, 11:42:27 PM

I just want to say that casascius and memory dealers are my favorite bitcoin persons! :3
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 12:03:38 AM

Casascius I think you have enough different items to offer a whole kit of your coins, minus the 1000 bar of course.

Im guessing you have a laser etcher now too ?  the old mouse wheel should be turning good now.. Smiley

Love your products brother...

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2011, 12:05:21 AM

I just got word that the bar you see in the picture has just been bought through MemoryDealers.  Which means it's time to whip up more.

repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 12:22:27 AM

How did you determine this?  It looks to me like he is charging a 13.5% markup over the price on the exchanges.

My mistake.  I just realised that your website only denotes prices in Bitcoins and not in $.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 01:22:02 AM

you should've made it with 10x the gold of the 100BTC bar.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2011, 02:41:34 AM

you should've made it with 10x the gold of the 100BTC bar.

It has an appeal for being cheap: it's a plausible way for someone to buy 1000 BTC for credit card but still be buying a tangible good, for the lowest possible premium.

Increasing the gold content would drive up the price.

I am getting more inquiries about the 1000 BTC gold coin idea.  I discussed it with the factory who did my silver coins.  I might seriously be able to do it for $200 over spot price (of both BTC and gold), on a fully-refundable-deposit pre-order basis.  It costs a lot to do a small run of custom gold coins, but at that price, it's also not ridiculous given the total price of the item.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: