Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:20:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 1000 BTC gold bar  (Read 8757 times)
illpoet

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 07:57:39 AM

really cool looking! i love the silver rounds too! are you going to offer any dummy silver rounds (ie no code)

Tym's Get Rich Slow scheme: plse send .00001 to
btc: 1DKRaNUnMQkeby6Dk1d8e6fRczSrTEhd8p ltc: LV4Udu7x9aLs28MoMCzsvVGKJbSmrHESnt
thank you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
coblee
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1653
Merit: 1286

Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.

View Profile
December 09, 2011, 11:50:56 PM

This gold bar was opened already: http://www.uberbills.com/casascius/?address=1AVLk3NSP7djqjPdRNff3CzVMqobk4imup
Looks like the guy just paid a big premium to just get the bitcoins inside.

fivemileshigh

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 10, 2011, 07:12:37 AM

The link shows 0 BTC balance, am I missing something?

kyotoku

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2011, 01:28:43 AM

Hey Mike,
What laser equipment do you have?
simon66

Activity: 423

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 12:55:24 AM

you should've made it with 10x the gold of the 100BTC bar.

It has an appeal for being cheap: it's a plausible way for someone to buy 1000 BTC for credit card but still be buying a tangible good, for the lowest possible premium.

Increasing the gold content would drive up the price.

I am getting more inquiries about the 1000 BTC gold coin idea.  I discussed it with the factory who did my silver coins.  I might seriously be able to do it for $200 over spot price (of both BTC and gold), on a fully-refundable-deposit pre-order basis.  It costs a lot to do a small run of custom gold coins, but at that price, it's also not ridiculous given the total price of the item.

You need to make it stackable. That would be awesome.
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 12:57:54 AM

you should've made it with 10x the gold of the 100BTC bar.

It has an appeal for being cheap: it's a plausible way for someone to buy 1000 BTC for credit card but still be buying a tangible good, for the lowest possible premium.

Increasing the gold content would drive up the price.

I am getting more inquiries about the 1000 BTC gold coin idea.  I discussed it with the factory who did my silver coins.  I might seriously be able to do it for $200 over spot price (of both BTC and gold), on a fully-refundable-deposit pre-order basis.  It costs a lot to do a small run of custom gold coins, but at that price, it's also not ridiculous given the total price of the item.

You need to make it stackable. That would be awesome.

Its a flat rectangle, what part of it isnt stackable ?

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
tonto

Activity: 609

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 08:33:41 PM

I love the look of that gold bar  *whistles*

I wish I had 1000 to toss around Smiley

Shit you might as well make a 10k one and a 100k one.. just don't load them until you get a serious buyer.

The 100k one, should you ever do it, should be solid gold Smiley   [edit:  I mean like one of those solid-gold bars like you see on TV of Fort Knox]
tonto

Activity: 609

View Profile
January 17, 2012, 08:44:50 PM

This gold bar was opened already: http://www.uberbills.com/casascius/?address=1AVLk3NSP7djqjPdRNff3CzVMqobk4imup
Looks like the guy just paid a big premium to just get the bitcoins inside.

Maybe because it's an 'easy' way to get bitcoins with a CC (or stolen CC)?

I can't think of why else you'd pay a premium like that just to open and use them right away after buying such a cool item... the bar itself I'd think (this early in the game) should sit around as a cool talking piece.

It's my guess, who knows. Smiley
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2012, 09:54:59 PM

As a proud owner of a dozen original casascius coins, I'd like to say you're moving in a great direction. Could you laser engrave a private key into a gold card (securely)? That would be the most permanent offline wallet.

Anyhow, great job once again!

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2012, 10:48:20 PM

If I engrave into metal, that deforms the metal.  The engravings can be read simply by aiming any sort of radiation at the coin that the metal reflects and that the covering lets through, and then looking at the reflection.  This is why I went with plain ink.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
MrGaSp

Activity: 418
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 24, 2012, 07:51:36 AM

First i know this is about that 1000BTC Bar, but i'd hope it would apply to it too.

Casascius, is there anyway to give you a private key / public key to use to make a coin, 1BTC.  I'd like to use a Vanity address  Roll Eyes
Iyeman

Activity: 1183
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 02:51:27 PM

Wow man, very nice!

You should make one of solid gold, because soon the value of those 1000 bitcoins will be more than the value of the solid gold by at least 100x

▄████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
█████                 ▀▀███▄
█████▄                   ▀██▄
███▀███▄                  ███
███  ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ███
███     ▀▀▀▀▀███████████▄▄██▀
███                   ▀▀████
███      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▄█▄
███   ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀██
███ ▄██▀▀                  ██
██████                    ██▀
█████                   ▄██▀
▀████▄       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
 ▀
█████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
billionair
A TOKEN POWERED RAFFLE PLATFORM
IN THE BSC ECOSYSTEM
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄███
███▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄███
███▀               ████
███▄              █████
████▄            ██████
█████▄▄        ▄███████
████▄       ▄██████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████▀▀█████
███████████▀▀▀    █████
██████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ██████
███▄     ▄█▀     ██████
██████▄ █▀      ███████
███████▌▐       ███████
████████ ▄██▄  ████████
██████████████▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▄█████████████████████▄
█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████
███▀ ████████████ ▀████
██  ██████▀▀▀██  █  ███
██  ████▀ ███ ▀███  ███
██  ███▀ █████ ▀██  ███
██  ███▄ █████ ▄██  ███
██  █████ ▀▀▀ ████  ███
██  ██████████████  ███
███▄ ████████████ ▄████
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▄███████▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████████▄
█████▀  ▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄▄  ▀███████
█████  ▀▀▀              ▀▀▀  █████
███                            ███
██                              ██
██        ████      ████        ██
█        ██████    ██████        █
█         ████      ████         █
█                                █
█      ▀▄▄              ▄▄▀      █
██▄      ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀      ▄██
███▄▄      ██████████      ▄▄█████
███████▄▄▄████████████▄▄▄█████████
▀████████████████████████████████▀
JOIN AIRDROP
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 03:31:29 PM

First i know this is about that 1000BTC Bar, but i'd hope it would apply to it too.

Casascius, is there anyway to give you a private key / public key to use to make a coin, 1BTC.  I'd like to use a Vanity address  Roll Eyes

He won't give you a hologram because you could "cheat".  You can buy blank coins and make your own public key / private key sticker.  Given it would only be used for you there is no need for a hologram likely an Avery label would work fine.  Just get one the right size.
Hawkix

Activity: 531
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2012, 05:27:59 PM

Casascius could offer that as a service - he could generate a special vanity address according your mask for you for a premium.

Donations: 1Hawkix7GHym6SM98ii5vSHHShA3FUgpV6
http://btcportal.net/ - All about Bitcoin - coming soon!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 05:36:59 PM

Casascius could offer that as a service - he could generate a special vanity address according your mask for you for a premium.

Yeah that would be interesting & secure.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2012, 07:27:28 PM

I don't do vanity addresses with holograms, sorry.

If I am in the process of generating a batch of addresses, I'd allow selection of the addresses from my batch.  Remember, these use 30-character Minikey, which there is no way to vanitygen quickly like full keys (other than for selecting maybe three or four characters).  It is difficult to fit 51 characters in the space allotted on my coins.

The way I do these, is I format a blank hard drive, install a fresh OS, securely generate a large number of addresses, print them, and then trash the drive.  I believe it's reckless to do anything less.  Then I laser cut the circles and put them in jars according to what kind of coin they'll go on.

Once the laser circles are cut and put in jars, it's practically impossible to find a specific circle, the jars are full of circles mixed as randomly as a bingo ball machine (but with thousands of balls!).  (One repurposed Nutella jar I use for 1BTC circles seems to hold about 12,000 circles).  If I know to pick a circle out before I cut them and mix them, that would be different.  But now it's too late, I have enough private keys to last me a long time and I have no plans to generate new ones any time soon.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
DoubleIcaras

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Kill me~

View Profile
January 27, 2012, 07:28:28 PM

I love these things ._.

Help support Bitcoin awareness in London! Donate to it here: 1F6MCoBMwmfpT5fruvCUjirFEybhLe5c1C
Or get involved here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=58539.0
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2012, 10:45:22 PM

I don't do vanity addresses with holograms, sorry.

If I am in the process of generating a batch of addresses, I'd allow selection of the addresses from my batch.  Remember, these use 30-character Minikey, which there is no way to vanitygen quickly like full keys (other than for selecting maybe three or four characters).  It is difficult to fit 51 characters in the space allotted on my coins.

The way I do these, is I format a blank hard drive, install a fresh OS, securely generate a large number of addresses, print them, and then trash the drive.  I believe it's reckless to do anything less.  Then I laser cut the circles and put them in jars according to what kind of coin they'll go on.

Once the laser circles are cut and put in jars, it's practically impossible to find a specific circle, the jars are full of circles mixed as randomly as a bingo ball machine (but with thousands of balls!).  (One repurposed Nutella jar I use for 1BTC circles seems to hold about 12,000 circles).  If I know to pick a circle out before I cut them and mix them, that would be different.  But now it's too late, I have enough private keys to last me a long time and I have no plans to generate new ones any time soon.

rocket science Smiley
i love it ...

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
zer0

Activity: 350

View Profile
January 28, 2012, 02:26:05 AM

Can the guy return the bar back to you for a reload
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2012, 02:47:33 AM

Can the guy return the bar back to you for a reload

Yes, about $5 plus BTC.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: