Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 10:29:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Metamask Seed Phrase / Seed Word Stolen  (Read 206 times)
ezanchi (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2021, 09:56:02 PM

If they could modify the code of the smart contract that would be absolutely helpful. Do you know any case where that actually happened?
How would that be done?
There's nothing much you can do except wait for the team to help change the address if they can.

I assume that you address doesn't have any more ETH as of now. In case they send the tokens, someone has to first send ETH into the address in order to withdraw them. It will be a game of chance. Either you or the hacker will be the first to withdraw the tokens.

I am in contact with the team, and they are doing their best, but they say that once the smart contract is deployed there is very little room for changes.

I don't have any more ETH as they stole them already, but since deposit to withdraw 1 hour passed, so I am not sure that they used a script this time. But that also doesn't guarantee that they won't use them on the day of the Token distribution.

Do you have any other idea or solution? Anything can be very helpful.

How did you get Phished or hacked? I always tell people to always verify any website from the project team before using it. There is really nothing much you can do. Just make sure you don't use the wallet again and try to move the new coins before the hacker gets to it.

I got phished because the hacker posed as one of the project funders in Telegram, and I input my seed phrase in a website he sent me. Do you think it would be possible for someone to develop a program/script that withdraws the tokens the very second they are deposited?

Sorry for your loss @op.
Honnestly, I don't think the project team will change the smart contract especially if the invested amount is not that big. Due to the network fees, deploying smart contracts is a bit expensive right now, so I wouldn't get my hopes up too high if I were you.
However, you can ask them when they are going to destribute the tokens exactly to be ready and withdraw them as fast as possible. You should also activate the notification system on Etherscan.io for your address to receive an email whenever your address receives a transaction.

The problem is not really the fees. It seems that they can't change the part of the smart contract's code where it stores the addresses to change it.

I believe the hackers maybe will use a program to steal the tokens immediately as soon as they land in the wallet. If the admins can't change the address I think I will have to hire someone to code a tool like that for me. It is not a small sum, so I believe it is worth it to try.

You must take your coins as soon as possible after the distribution already happened. Try to watch the distribution event to make sure you can get it just in a few seconds. I do believe when the hacker took your money on your wallet and then they will not care about your wallet anymore and this gives you a chance to take or move all of your coins from your wallet to another wallet.
You must do this as soon as the coin will have distributed by developers.

The problem is that the hackers already know everything about the tokens, and how much of them I have. Also, the tokens won't be distributed 100% the same day, but slowly a small percentage over the course of  weeks, so even If I manage to withdraw the first round of distribution, that might be an indication for them to use some kind of automated program or script to be faster than me.

Only the team members can help you out so that it won't be deliver to your old address which has been hack already. So communicate with them, create a new Metamask account and protect it this time.

Yes, you are right, they have bots and scripts that will stole your funds once it is delivered it your wallet. I know someone who have been hack and he says that same, it will be just a matter of seconds for hackers to steal it.

I am in contact with the team, and they are doing their best, but they say that once the smart contract is deployed there is very little room for changes.
If the admins can't change the address I think I will have to hire someone to code a tool like that for me. It is not a small sum, so I believe it is worth it to try.

If they could modify the code of the smart contract that would be absolutely helpful. Do you know any case where that actually happened?
How would that be done?
There's nothing much you can do except wait for the team to help change the address if they can.

I assume that you address doesn't have any more ETH as of now. In case they send the tokens, someone has to first send ETH into the address in order to withdraw them. It will be a game of chance. Either you or the hacker will be the first to withdraw the tokens.
correct, ask them to change your address and never used that wallet again.. Indeed OP you said that they will distribute the token on 29th of may this year.. So there's still a chance for you to ask for address change..  And you know because of eth gas fees for sure there are some delay on it or has possibility to use another way of payment in my opinion especially if they use erc20.. Just try to contact them and share your prob maybe there's a chance for you to save your purchase token.

Yes I am in contact with the team members, and they are already thinking what can be done, but they say the smart contract is very hard to change or even not possible. If the admins can't change the address I think I will have to hire someone to code a tool like that for me. It is not a small sum, so I believe it is worth it to try.

I've had a similar experience but in my case, i didn't give out my seed phrase. I sincerely don't know what went wrong, but I found out that upon logging into my meta mask wallet from the chrome browser, I got notifications for withdraw of eth. I lost over 1 eth to the Scammer and each time I think about it, if feels really depressing..

Yes. I absolutely can understand that feeling of depression, and anger, and much more. It is a very hard experience and I really feel absolutely bad.
If the admins can't change the address I think I will have to hire someone to code a tool like that for me. It is not a small sum, so I believe it is worth it to try.

The team behind the token sale is searching for a solution already to maybe modify the smart contract and send the tokens to another address. Is it possible?
The only people who can change this is the team behind this project that you took part in. Only they have control over the smart contact.

For now though, you need to take some precautions. Since your previous wallet seed is compromised, there is no meaning in trying to recover it. It would be better abandoned. Create a new wallet on MEW/Metamask and then use that for future coins. Make sure you are using a proper AV solution if using Windows OS. Bookmark the token sale sites way before they start to prevent phishing and dont download attachments from email senders that you do not recognize. Avoid responding to PMs in telegram too because that is how scammers are coming in on telegram.

A even better solution is getting a hardware wallet to keep your assets - a small investment for a good protection. Give it a thought when you cool down from this event.

And sorry to hear about your loss, though I know that saying this will not have any impact on your side since only the person who loses their money knows the real pain.

Thank you very much for replying. All information is welcome right now.

I will certainly consider a hardware wallet.

The problem is I can't abandon that metamask because I will get some tokens delivered to it. I am in contact with the team of the project and they will try to change the address in the smart contract, but they say its really hard. If the admins can't change the address I think I will have to hire someone to code a tool like that for me. It is not a small sum, so I believe it is worth it to try.

I'm not sure there is script for auto moving tokens to another wallet but I've seen the ETH one, the problem  here is to move tokens the scammer or hacker have to deposit ETH in the wallet as well so but the problem is even if you are fast enough you will still lose your ETH, to move the tokens out you still need to deposit ETH, I'd say abandon the wallet and move on

Yes I understand what you mean but it is a big sum so I can't really just abandon it. Paying the ETH fees is nothing compared to the tokens tbh.

How would that be done?
You said the tokens are not generated yet so that means they have enough time to make tweaks on the codes before distribution. How that would be done depends on their developers. It should not be that complicated but it will cost them time. They can also write a new contract if they don't or can't modify the code with your old address.

Exactly the tokens will be generated and distributed the 29th of may. They also won't be distributed 100% that day, but a small percentage over the course of weeks.

I am in contact with the team behind the project and they are trying to change the address in the smart contract but they say its very hard. I am also considering hiring someone to make a script to automatically withdraw the tokens once they arrive.

There are two options that you can use right now
The first is to get the help of the admins in changing the wallet address where your new tokens will be transfered to, if that can be done, then its great news and you wont havr to worry about losing your tokens

The second option is if the first option doesn't work (have some eth on standby to use as gas fee)
1. Create a new profile on etherscan.io and add the ETH Wallet address there
2. Create a alert on the wallet address so you will be alerted immediately when the token enters your wallet
3. Send the eth you intend to use as gas into the wallet
4. Immediately the confirmation is complete, send out your tokens

For this second method to work, you have to be very fast
And since you have the alerts and youre the  initiating the transactions, you have an edge over the hacker

I Wish you all the best of luck

I have once been hacked through meta mask and this was what i did when i receive some bounty tokens, you just have to be very fast about it..

I realized that the hacker still has my seed till this day, because he later sent out the extra $5 ETH that was left from what i sent for gas fees

I didn't fall victims the second time by simply being faster

Thank you for proposing those solutions.

The team behind the project is already trying to change the address in the smart contract but they say its really hard. Also I fear the hackers maybe will use a script to withdraw the tokens as soon as they are deposited in my account, so I will do the same and hire someone to make that script for me.

The team behind the token sale is searching for a solution already to maybe modify the smart contract and send the tokens to another address. Is it possible?

I am very scared. Thank you
Smart contracts cannot be changed after activation. This is only possible if the developers have added this feature to the smart contract. (But it is dangerous to interact with such smart contracts, it can be fraudulent)

Use hardware wallets and you won't lose money if you download fake metamask.

My advice for you is to buy a hardware wallet. If you're only using the Ethereum ecosystem, the Ledger Nano S is enough for you, but I recommend getting the Ledger Nano X.
https://shop.ledger.com/
 Ledger is compatible with metamask and other services.

I do not want to give advice, because I do not know the policy of the developers of these projects.
You and the hacker have access to the private key, with which you can sign a message about the transfer of tokens to another address. Therefore, it is difficult to determine who is the hacker and who is the real owner, if you have not gone through the KYC procedure.

Yes I really fear they won't be able to change the smart contract but they havent told me yet that they can't, so I still have hope. Do you have any experience with smart contracts?

I will certainly consider hardware wallets.

TheUltraElite
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 1223

Call your grandparents and tell them you love them

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2021, 06:10:55 AM

The problem is I can't abandon that metamask because I will get some tokens delivered to it. I am in contact with the team of the project and they will try to change the address in the smart contract, but they say its really hard. If the admins can't change the address I think I will have to hire someone to code a tool like that for me.
This is a tough situation to apply sort of counter measures. Your wallet has been compromised, maybe you are not understanding the meaning of the terms properly. Once a wallet's seed/secret phrase gets in the hands of someone, that person gets complete control over that wallet. They can spend whatever asset that comes in that wallet. This is why people go to such ends to secure their wallets as they start investing money in crypto.

Also, about hiring a coder, please be careful what you are doing here. There are many scammers who prey on less tech-savvy victims and scam them in the name of being able to recover the money. The proper way would be to approach your country's law enforcement.

It is not a small sum, so I believe it is worth it to try.
Pressure the admins of these projects that you took part in. If your money is significant, they should help you out as a special case basis.

There are none, I am afraid. Such unforgiving is the system of crypto, so that users take their precautions from beforehand.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
_IRMAN
Copper Member

Activity: 1400
Merit: 103

View Profile
May 17, 2021, 07:01:40 AM

I fear the hackers might have a script that automatically steals all the cryptos and tokens that land on my metamask in milliseconds and I won't have time to withdraw them manually.

Can anything be done about it?

It is possible, now there are many people who are affected by the same problem

It can be done, but looks like it will take some more time
ezanchi (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2021, 07:41:48 PM

The problem is I can't abandon that metamask because I will get some tokens delivered to it. I am in contact with the team of the project and they will try to change the address in the smart contract, but they say its really hard. If the admins can't change the address I think I will have to hire someone to code a tool like that for me.
This is a tough situation to apply sort of counter measures. Your wallet has been compromised, maybe you are not understanding the meaning of the terms properly. Once a wallet's seed/secret phrase gets in the hands of someone, that person gets complete control over that wallet. They can spend whatever asset that comes in that wallet. This is why people go to such ends to secure their wallets as they start investing money in crypto.

Also, about hiring a coder, please be careful what you are doing here. There are many scammers who prey on less tech-savvy victims and scam them in the name of being able to recover the money. The proper way would be to approach your country's law enforcement.

It is not a small sum, so I believe it is worth it to try.
Pressure the admins of these projects that you took part in. If your money is significant, they should help you out as a special case basis.

There are none, I am afraid. Such unforgiving is the system of crypto, so that users take their precautions from beforehand.

Yes very demolishing to know that the hacker can control the account just as I do and nothing can be done. I am searching through Freelance to hire someone that may help me code something to get the tokens quickly before the hacker.

The developers can not do anything they say because the smart contract is locked  Sad

Thank you for replying and if you come up with any idea please let me know.

I fear the hackers might have a script that automatically steals all the cryptos and tokens that land on my metamask in milliseconds and I won't have time to withdraw them manually.

Can anything be done about it?

It is possible, now there are many people who are affected by the same problem

It can be done, but looks like it will take some more time

I believe there must be something to do to prevent such a disaster as losing that much money.

Do you have any idea other than the script?

If they can change the recipient address maybe it is the only good solution. What is on my mind before it is keep monitor the address because if the address don't have ETH, the hacker can't send anything because out of gas, so the hacker will fill your address with ETH, move it whatever you want to move immediately. I think if the token really precious or have high value, you will do anything to protect it although must monitor the address all the time. Or use trustwallet, so you can monitor it by phone anytime. And then you send ETH to your wallet, move your tokens in fast way before hacker send it. Any chance although small is worth to do if your token really precious for you.

They tried to change the address but it seems that the smart contract is locked and can't be changed. I know the exact moment the tokens will be distributed because I am in contact with the dev team.

I believe the hacker maybe will have a program or script to steal all the tokens automatically when it detects they are deposited, so I think will hire a software engineer to code a tool like that for myself. Because withdrawing it manually I think will be too slow.

Do you have any other idea or suggestion?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: