Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:14:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Crypto and energy consumption  (Read 853 times)
fb1t
Copper Member

Activity: 39
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 02, 2021, 09:15:25 AM

You all are right... BUT if we could build proof-of-stake blockchains on a same level regarding security as proof-of-work chains, but consuming far less energy... shouldn't we stick to that on the long run?  Cool

(now please do not hit me  Roll Eyes )

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lantind

Activity: 2268
Merit: 263

View Profile
June 02, 2021, 11:16:16 AM

You all are right... BUT if we could build proof-of-stake blockchains on a same level regarding security as proof-of-work chains, but consuming far less energy... shouldn't we stick to that on the long run?  Cool

No one will hit you here, because any ideas and tips are always highly appreciated by the people in this forum, so don't be afraid to share new ideas as long as it can be very good for the survival of the cryptocurrency and the market.
Gorosden

Activity: 518
Merit: 30

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
June 02, 2021, 11:21:29 AM

It's consumers choice honestly, no one should force someone to go for proof of stake coins or proof of work coins, as for the environment friendly part that's a complete joke, electricity is unlimited and we use it in our daily lives, if I can be able to make money out of electricity and pay for it why the noise? Every miners pays their electricity bill and that is enough to shut anyone up

Lantind

Activity: 2268
Merit: 263

View Profile
June 04, 2021, 09:10:32 AM

It's consumers choice honestly, no one should force someone to go for proof of stake coins or proof of work coins, as for the environment friendly part that's a complete joke, electricity is unlimited and we use it in our daily lives, if I can be able to make money out of electricity and pay for it why the noise? Every miners pays their electricity bill and that is enough to shut anyone up
And you also need to know that not everyone is able to do this because everyone's abilities are different and the large expenditure of electricity is an obstacle for some people who want to mine in crypto.
fb1t
Copper Member

Activity: 39
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 04, 2021, 10:41:11 AM

Well yes, but creating energy is not limitless or without risk. It requires burning coal (which is limited) or handling nuclear energy (which is risky) and even solar energy or other green energies do require some raw materials or bring some impact for the environment.
So I still think: the less energy, the better :-)
Noruka

Activity: 910
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 04, 2021, 10:44:22 AM

I don't agree it is unlimited and also there is no doubt that electricity comes at a cost. The important point here is that we reduce that cost! That is why renewable will play such an important role. By now crypto consumes a significant amount of electricity and the goal must be to reduce the carbon footprint of that electricity. Cryptos must be sustainable, but also secure and unbreakable. That is the discussion surrounding proof of stake and proof of work.
Valak

Activity: 743
Merit: 110

View Profile
June 04, 2021, 11:30:30 AM

Just want to put this out there. What is the problem with crypto mining and energy consumption? Yes, I know you'll raise environment concerns, I get it.

However, consider this: a civilisation is measured by its energy consumption. Before we discovered fire and used any stone tools, the only energy we had was whatever our bodies produced. Then we discovered fire, made tools, invented the wheel, etc. Until now, when we use computers, robots and other machines to help us live. Our life expectancy and quality of life has increased dramatically.

Shouldn't we concentrate our efforts on using clean renewable energy, rather than restrict our use of it?

Frankly, if there is a problem with too much energy consumption, we should go back and live in caves, and hunt in groups.

Everything we do consumes energy. The greatest energy we can spend when we think something, not by doing work. Crypto also consumes a lot of energy, even though we are only in front of the computer.
7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
June 04, 2021, 11:54:40 AM

Shouldn't we concentrate our efforts on using clean renewable energy, rather than restrict our use of it?

Frankly, if there is a problem with too much energy consumption, we should go back and live in caves, and hunt in groups.
It is not about the problem about energy consumption which is renewable, but using fossil fuels and coal to create that kind of energy and if the majority of the electricity is made from renewable energy then no one will be having any problems.

Today CZ made a great tweeted about energy consumption, Elon Musk who is creating electric vehicles is complaining about Bitcoin's electric usage and boycotting them, this is hypocrisy to the highest level Cheesy.
jrrsparkles

Activity: 2394

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
June 04, 2021, 12:33:18 PM

Just want to put this out there. What is the problem with crypto mining and energy consumption? Yes, I know you'll raise environment concerns, I get it.

However, consider this: a civilisation is measured by its energy consumption. Before we discovered fire and used any stone tools, the only energy we had was whatever our bodies produced. Then we discovered fire, made tools, invented the wheel, etc. Until now, when we use computers, robots and other machines to help us live. Our life expectancy and quality of life has increased dramatically.

Actually, cryptocurrency mining is not taking too much electricity as the government says. Yes it needs energy to operate but remember we are using the air-conditioning everywhere just because we have money to pay the bills which affects the UV layers and encouraged more skin cancer due to that then why governments are yet to ban air conditioning brands?

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
sapnu

Activity: 1036
Merit: 286

View Profile
June 04, 2021, 12:40:05 PM

I think this concern has been paid attention to due to Elon Musk's reasoning on why he stopped using bitcoin as a mode of payment for Tesla. If we would put environmental concerns to our ways here in crypto, I find it reasonable why many people are concerned. Considering the fact that every resource from our natural environment has a limit, regardless of the time span it may take before it gets consumed completely, we should still find a way on how we can make it last longer. In the case of crypto, maybe there is a way on how we can consume energy and at the same time replace the energy used so everyone would agree and everyone would still benefit.
Yaunfitda

Activity: 2842
Merit: 575

View Profile
June 04, 2021, 12:57:54 PM

If they are going to attack crypto with such argument, then they have to look at the overall picture and not just isolate bitcoin or crypto in general as far as energy consumption is concern.

Bitcoin uses less than 1% of the overall energy consumption, so that alone is not enough to really damage the environment according to their argument, which is has a flaw in the beginning.

How about fiat though? did they check how big banks consumption?

███████████████████████████████
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████
█████████████▀▀        ▀▀██████
██████▀▀▀▀▀▀              ▀████
██████████▀     ▄▄██▄▄     ▀███
██████████      ██████      ███
██████████▄     ▀▀██▀▀     ▄███
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄              ▄████
█████████████▄▄        ▄▄██████
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████
|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
SSC NAPOLI
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER
|.ROLLBOTS.|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████▀████████▀████▄
██████▄▄▄█████▄▄█████████
██████▀▀▀█████▀▀█████████
▀█████████▄████████▄████▀
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ROLLBIT COIN
TRADE RLB NOW!
|...PLAY NOW...
oscarftw

Activity: 573
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2021, 02:56:30 PM

People started to think as Elon Musk or Maybe Elon musk thought as apple. If we talk about energy consumption and the environment, then Elon Musk and Apple shouldn't be silent. We can block Elon Musk social activities sites, we shouldn't follow Elon Musk. We can use renewable energy instead of non-renewable energy. Even Apple is doing the same for their opportunity as Elon Musk. Although this isn't part of the altcoins discussion. Sorry 😔
brooksby

Activity: 286
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2021, 03:09:40 PM

If they are going to attack crypto with such argument, then they have to look at the overall picture and not just isolate bitcoin or crypto in general as far as energy consumption is concern.

Bitcoin uses less than 1% of the overall energy consumption, so that alone is not enough to really damage the environment according to their argument, which is has a flaw in the beginning.

If Bitcoin contributes to more stable financial and economic regimes, it is worth the energy. The money we burn every year due to inflation should also be taken into account. Not that Bitcoin is any better as of now, but I personally think it is only becoming better from here.
Almasani

Activity: 854
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2021, 04:40:52 PM

No job is easy, everything requires energy. On crypto, we spend a lot of energy. Moreover, market conditions are getting worse, energy and thoughts will always be integrated. So that fatigue will occur, and many people are frustrated. Likewise with promoting the bounty project. It may look light. However, it actually consumes energy. Moreover, the work we do does not get paid a penny.
nightxglow

Activity: 700
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 04, 2021, 04:54:06 PM

Maybe it's because recently the environmental problem is quite a serious issue, we know our earth is getting too old, climate change is really bad right now, and maybe people are afraid that with the increasing hype and popularity of bitcoin more people will be involved in mining, which is true though. Most of my friends started mining just recently since bitcoin price is high again, and like you said, i really agree that we should just focus on finding and using clean renewable energy, and shouldn't be too excessive.

█████████████████████████████
██████▀ ▀███████████▀ ▀██████
████▀ ▄█▄ ▀███████▀ ▄█▄ ▀████
███▄ ▀████▄ ▀███▀ ▄████▀ ▄███
█████▄ ▀████▄ ▀ ▄████▀ ▄█████
███████▄ ▀████▄ ▀██▀ ▄███████
█████████  █████ ████████████
███████▀ ▄████▀ ▄██▄ ▀███████
█████▀ ▄████▀ ▄ ▀████▄ ▀█████
███▀ ▄████▀ ▄███▄ ▀████▄ ▀███
████▄ ▀█▀ ▄███████▄ ▀█▀ ▄████
██████▄ ▄███████████▄ ▄██████
..XIRCUS..                       ▄████▄
    ▄███▄              ██████
    █████             ▀████▀
     ▀▀▀ ▀▄         ▄▀
           ▄█████▄
           █████████
           █████████
           ▀█████▀
         ▄▀    █    ▀▄ ▄▄
       ▄▀      █      ████
▄████▄     ▄█████▄   ▀██▀
██████      ███████
 ▀▀▀▀       ▀█████▀
||
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████▀    ▐███████
███████████    ▄▄█████████
▐██████████▀    ▀▀█████████▌
▐█████████▌       █████████▌
▐███████████    ███████████▌
███████████    ███████████
██████████    ██████████
▀████████▄  ▄████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
Ozero

Activity: 2044
Merit: 180

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
June 04, 2021, 05:32:18 PM

Now such excuses are that we can completely dispose of energy,
since we buy it, they will no longer work. This attitude is destroying humanity due to the dramatic climate change. In this connection, states will have to jointly establish new additional rules. Since the issue of the consumption of a large amount of energy by bitcoin is raised, and the issue of consumption when mining carbohydrate energy sources is also raised, it will not disappear by itself. Bitcoin will have big problems over time if the energy consumption of mining is not reduced. It is better to think about this issue now and try to rectify the situation than to wait until the states jointly take repressive protective measures in relation to certain types of cryptocurrency, and first of all to bitcoin.

wxa7115

Activity: 2716
Merit: 704

View Profile
June 04, 2021, 08:13:13 PM

They know they do not have to do anything like that, most people believe everything they read so as soon as they began this campaign against bitcoin we saw many people going against bitcoin for that alone.

It seems neither the government, the media or the majority of the people care about the truth, bitcoin uses mostly green sources of energy anyway, its energy consumption is being exaggerated and compared to the current system we have in place bitcoin is many times more efficient, but obviously they cannot say this as they will shoot themselves on the foot with such information

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
justdimin

Activity: 2996
Merit: 670

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
June 05, 2021, 04:22:11 PM

consider this: a civilisation is measured by its energy consumption. Before we discovered fire and used any stone tools, the only energy we had was whatever our bodies produced. Then we discovered fire, made tools, invented the wheel, etc. Until now, when we use computers, robots and other machines to help us live. Our life expectancy and quality of life has increased dramatically.

Yes the energy consumption of cryptocurrency is very bad, because of how it affects our environment. Based on my recent research, I believe that a lot of miners are now making use of renewable energy sources, and those who are not making use of it also have plans to switch to it.

There are now organizations that works towards that, and with time I believe that this is not going to be a really big problem. And I believe that this is something that needs to be solved quickly. Yes, there eco-friendly coins that uses which doesn’t consume energy like bitcoin, but are people ready to switch to making use of those coins?, That is the question, and it’s why we should encourage the use of renewable energy sources.

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
bison

Activity: 778
Merit: 100

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
June 05, 2021, 06:48:00 PM

Recently, this issue has become a hot topic of discussion, and has had a huge effect on the market. Even though from the first crypto mining and energy consumption were related, because a mining activity would definitely consume a lot of energy, but somehow since Elon started to raise it into a tweet, this seems to be a dangerous thing and an extraordinary thing, isn't it? we see this to be an attempt to manipulate the market? no need to listen too much to issues like this, it's better to focus on each other's work.

Noruka

Activity: 910

View Profile
June 05, 2021, 06:50:49 PM

They know they do not have to do anything like that, most people believe everything they read so as soon as they began this campaign against bitcoin we saw many people going against bitcoin for that alone.

It seems neither the government, the media or the majority of the people care about the truth, bitcoin uses mostly green sources of energy anyway, its energy consumption is being exaggerated and compared to the current system we have in place bitcoin is many times more efficient, but obviously they cannot say this as they will shoot themselves on the foot with such information

Elon Musk was on the one hand a real clown to raise that issue because he must have known in advance but on the other hand he was the prefect man to get that stone rolling again. His sudden reaction was ridiculous, but energy is of course an issue. As it is with everything we currently power with energy, we will need to expand renewable energy capacities. It can't happen overnight and as much as we don't stop driving or flying there is also no reason to stop Bitcoin abruptly because of that. Solutions need time.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: