Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:06:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Crash!!  (Read 10528 times)
caston

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2011, 04:02:03 PM

So do we think the market has hit the bottom yet or we've still got some major sells coming up?

My prediction was a return to dollar parity and we got $1.98 which was close but no cigar.

bitcoin BTC: 1MikVUu1DauWB33T5diyforbQjTWJ9D4RF
bitcoin cash: 1JdkCGuW4LSgqYiM6QS7zTzAttD9MNAsiK

-updated 3rd December 2017

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dan The Man

Activity: 672

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 04:15:45 PM

My opinion is that we are going down from here, but I thought that at the last $3 peak as well and at the smaller peaks before that.
Dan The Man

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 04:17:42 PM

Even with perfect trades, I do not believe it would have been possible to have gained on any two bitcoinica orders in the past 24 hours.

I almost made $4 but the market moved against me when I went to liquidate. But I do remember I could have made more if I had of bought around $2.60

I have also noticed that the spreads are awfully large lately. I wonder if Bitcoinica is trying to increase its take.
caston

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2011, 04:22:36 PM
Last edit: December 06, 2011, 04:38:37 PM by caston

Well right now if I bought at market at mtgox I'd be buying at: 2.98991 and on bitcoinica: 3.0072

Maybe that's the thing about bitcoinica. Normally when you trade at a profit you just about never buy at market. Always put in extreme buy and sell orders and hope they get filled.
Bitcoinica seems to be @ market + the spread. The lag is probably the lag in the orderbook.

So my question would be does bitcoinica actually place orders on mtgox or just fill them?

trogdorjw73

Activity: 482

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2011, 04:35:19 PM

Bitcoinica has a larger spread when there's volatility, and the longer a price holds (and the larger the walls on the sides of it), the smaller the spread becomes. At least, that's what it looks like to me.

caston

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2011, 04:41:05 PM

Bitcoinica has a larger spread when there's volatility, and the longer a price holds (and the larger the walls on the sides of it), the smaller the spread becomes. At least, that's what it looks like to me.

But are the buy and sell @ market rates also far apart when there is volatility?

I love it when the spread is really close. You can buy and only be in the red a few cents for a short time if you bought the right way. I think I remember even once trading and being instantly in green.

mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 04:46:13 PM

So is it too late to sell now?
:|
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 05:10:36 PM

I believe the price will continue correcting to above $2.5. Below that and the rally will have been invalidated.

If the price clears above $3.14 before correcting, then I expect it will climb shy of $4 before correcting the first wave of a major reversal beginning last month. If that optimistic scenario comes to pass (though I'm currently betting against it), the third wave rally after the correction (to the current iv price area) could launch bitcoin up to heights we haven't seen for months.

I expect we'll have a clear picture after this week.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 11:37:48 PM

I believe the price will continue correcting to above $2.5. Below that and the rally will have been invalidated.

If the price clears above $3.14 before correcting, then I expect it will climb shy of $4 before correcting the first wave of a major reversal beginning last month. If that optimistic scenario comes to pass (though I'm currently betting against it), the third wave rally after the correction (to the current iv price area) could launch bitcoin up to heights we haven't seen for months.

Wow Netrin, you've been quite the pessimist up till recently..  Its good to see, and nice chart..

Can you tell me how you arrive at the colour bands ?  Are these formed from interpreting elliot waves like it seems your showing ?

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 11:53:08 PM

Wow Netrin, you've been quite the pessimist up till recently..  Its good to see, and nice chart..

Can you tell me how you arrive at the colour bands ?  Are these formed from interpreting elliot waves like it seems your showing ?

Those price bands look like they're based on historical price support/resistance, not on Elliott theory.

(BFL)^2 < 0
netrin

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 01:51:41 AM
Last edit: December 07, 2011, 02:17:22 AM by netrin

I'd much prefer to discuss this on the Elliott thread where I'm otherwise talking to myself in four pages. But yes, it is all Elliott, but not Fibonacci.

I count three magenta waves up from 19 November. Between the magenta bars thus far represents either a corrective fourth or a first regressive impulse. Above the magenta bar ($3.14) essentially confirms a fifth impulse (with caveat) and below magenta ($2.5) invalidates the entire count.

The green bar represents the fourth of the magenta third. And the gold bar represents the fourth of the green fifth. The fall from $3.14 bounced beautifully within the gold-green overlap and continued a wee bit over the suggested green fourth. It is no accident that $2.9 was a major bid wall, support, resistance, and bottom of a suggested fourth. Perhaps the manipulator is an Elliott occultist as well.

I count five waves from $3.14 to $2.61 (though they are not clean). If we are to expect a correction before continuing the rally, the only valid labeling is a zig-zag. The dark channel represents a possibility. The higher 'b' gets the flatter the zig-zag and the more likely 'c' ends safely within the lower magenta bar, thus preserving optimistic hopes that the major reversal has already begun.

I discuss this further in bloody detail (with brilliant calls and embarrassing failures) in real-time.

Wow Netrin, you've been quite the pessimist up till recently..  Its good to see, and nice chart..

I like to think 'realist', but I've been calling a December reversal leading to triple digit heights since early northern summer. This could hardly be called a pessimistic chart, at least not in retrospect:

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 02:49:47 AM

I'd much prefer to discuss this on the Elliott thread where I'm otherwise talking to myself in four pages. But yes, it is all Elliott, but not Fibonacci.

I count three magenta waves up from 19 November. Between the magenta bars thus far represents either a corrective fourth or a first regressive impulse. Above the magenta bar ($3.14) essentially confirms a fifth impulse (with caveat) and below magenta ($2.5) invalidates the entire count.

The green bar represents the fourth of the magenta third. And the gold bar represents the fourth of the green fifth. The fall from $3.14 bounced beautifully within the gold-green overlap and continued a wee bit over the suggested green fourth. It is no accident that $2.9 was a major bid wall, support, resistance, and bottom of a suggested fourth. Perhaps the manipulator is an Elliott occultist as well.

I count five waves from $3.14 to $2.61 (though they are not clean). If we are to expect a correction before continuing the rally, the only valid labeling is a zig-zag. The dark channel represents a possibility. The higher 'b' gets the flatter the zig-zag and the more likely 'c' ends safely within the lower magenta bar, thus preserving optimistic hopes that the major reversal has already begun.

I discuss this further in bloody detail (with brilliant calls and embarrassing failures) in real-time.

Wow Netrin, you've been quite the pessimist up till recently..  Its good to see, and nice chart..

I like to think 'realist', but I've been calling a December reversal leading to triple digit heights since early northern summer. This could hardly be called a pessimistic chart, at least not in retrospect:

Oooops!  I should start reading that thread..  thanks Smiley

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
ineededausername

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 02:56:38 AM

netrin: How did your supposed II.c.5 wave manage to stop short of a new low?  (Well, 1.994 < 2.07 but that hardly counts and your chart said $1 was coming)

Have you reevaluated your count?  Is there something I'm missing?

(BFL)^2 < 0
netrin

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 04:55:58 AM
Last edit: December 07, 2011, 05:11:45 AM by netrin

I do not definitively claim that we have already bottomed out, only that it is a possibility. To be honest, I'm having trouble counting most of November, which is bluring later counts. I've labeled the double drops to $2 (A-B) and the current rally to $3.14 and perhaps higher (C) as an expanded flat 3-3-5, which if correct would imply further drops below $2. I've rambled inconclusively elsewhere, so I won't further clutter up this thread. The discussion starts with S3052's critique of my count and continues exactly a month ago...

I'm playing with an alternate count based on S3052's comments. It does not necessarily change message, but does open up the possibility of further ugly corrective patterns (triangles, zig-zags, flats, oh my!), whereas the fifth impulsive wave of the final c should have been definitive.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 03:50:52 PM

Totally OT, I know, but I have a bitcoinica-related question maybe someone here can answer:

This is what my account looks like:

Margin Balance   $30.42
Tradable Balance   $29.49
Leverage   2.5 : 1
Unrealized P/L   $3.70
Net Value?   $34.13
Maintenance?   $2.23

I have this position:

BTCUSD   20.0   $2.7914   $3.70    6.634%

I hope that's readable.

Now for the question: I understand I can trade more than the $30 I put into the account initially (margin trading).

What I'm not sure about is how to calculate the risk of being zhoutonged.

As I understand, if the rate drops (in my case) low enough, bitcoinica will auto-liquidate my position and I'll be left with no money, right?

How can I calculate how low it can drop without margin call?

I'd buy more BTC at this point, but maybe this is already too risky? I'd like to allow the rate to drop down to $2.50. Am I beyond that point?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
ineededausername

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 03:54:27 PM

Totally OT, I know, but I have a bitcoinica-related question maybe someone here can answer:

This is what my account looks like:

Margin Balance   $30.42
Tradable Balance   $29.49
Leverage   2.5 : 1
Unrealized P/L   $3.70
Net Value?   $34.13
Maintenance?   $2.23

I have this position:

BTCUSD   20.0   $2.7914   $3.70    6.634%

I hope that's readable.

Now for the question: I understand I can trade more than the $30 I put into the account initially (margin trading).

What I'm not sure about is how to calculate the risk of being zhoutonged.

As I understand, if the rate drops (in my case) low enough, bitcoinica will auto-liquidate my position and I'll be left with no money, right?

How can I calculate how low it can drop without margin call?

I'd buy more BTC at this point, but maybe this is already too risky? I'd like to allow the rate to drop down to $2.50. Am I beyond that point?

You need to look at your maintenance.  If your net value drops below that, I think you get liquidated.

(BFL)^2 < 0
netrin

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 04:01:15 PM

You need to look at your maintenance.  If your net value drops below that, I think you get liquidated.

Yes. This was confirmed by Zhou. I have not yet been Zhoutonged, but it seems to be correct.

Dan The Man

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 04:30:56 PM
Last edit: December 07, 2011, 05:18:05 PM by Dan The Man

I petitioned Zhoutong to put in a simple calculator for exactly that purpose.

If you want to do it yourself, just multiply the number of bitcoins by their purchase value to get their total value, then subtract how much you need to lose from your margin balance to hit your maintenance amount then divide by the number of coins to get the new price. So in this case, the liquidation price = (20*2.79-30.42+2.23)/20 or $1.38.

If you want to figure out how much more you can buy to stay safe above 2.50 at the current price. We will say $3. You just need to figure that each bitcoin loses $0.5 on the way down from $3 to $2.50.  So since your current net value is $34 and your maintenance is $2. You can lose $32 before being liquidated. At $0.5 per coin, that translates to about 64 more coins at $3 each before you get liquidated at $2.50... not taking into account the change in maintenance... so closer to 60 actually.
ineededausername

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 05:55:24 PM

If you want to do it yourself, just multiply the number of bitcoins by their purchase value to get their total value, then subtract how much you need to lose from your margin balance to hit your maintenance amount then divide by the number of coins to get the new price. So in this case, the liquidation price = (20*2.79-30.42+2.23)/20 or $1.38.

If you want to figure out how much more you can buy to stay safe above 2.50 at the current price. We will say $3. You just need to figure that each bitcoin loses $0.5 on the way down from $3 to $2.50.  So since your current net value is $34 and your maintenance is $2. You can lose $32 before being liquidated. At $0.5 per coin, that translates to about 64 more coins at $3 each before you get liquidated at $2.50... not taking into account the change in maintenance... so closer to 60 actually.

In fact, we don't even need a simple calculator.  Just put down a "Liquidation Price" row in the "My account" table on the right-hand side of every page.

(BFL)^2 < 0
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
December 07, 2011, 06:15:30 PM

Thanks for the answer, Dan the Man, that cleared it up.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: