Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:03:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: so john mcafee committed suicide.. over taxes  (Read 290 times)
franky1 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458

View Profile
June 23, 2021, 09:14:56 PM
Merited by suchmoon (9)

i know this might not seem empathetical. but from a P & S point of view.
taxes should be treated as civil court(like unpaid bills) and not criminal court.
but.. trying to extradite a guy from spain to the US to answer to tax claims seems a bit harsh

having the tax case extradition as the tipping point for him to suicide himself. just seems extreme

we all though the rumours of him possibly killing a neighbour and transporting drugs and weapons
but to have the US not push that. and instead get spanish police to arrest him over american tax evasion. and then grant extradition over tax evasion seems a bit much

i mean imagine someone else under suspicion of a true crime like abuse/murder/hard drugs. but nothing is done. then getting locked up and extradited for not paying a bill..

has the political system gone nuts.
i understand paying tax is important to governments. but in the scheme of crime/harm level. just seems a little bit too forceful to be handling someone internationally over something thats literally an unpaid bill

(yes i get there are other things involved. but lets play the politics version of events that its just to do with tax evasion)

do you feel that someone should be arrested and then deported over an unpaid bill?
i might understand it if he was already found guilty of not paying taxes. and then refused to pay the court fines.and then left the country
but before even being found guilty of an unpaid bill. when its still just suspected. seems harsh to go to the extremes, right?.. especially when so many others do the same and get away with it.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
covfefe_

Activity: 935
Merit: 105

View Profile
June 23, 2021, 09:32:18 PM

The awful part of this scheme is it's mostly one way and selective.
Many of large tax evaders, financial criminals and corrupt leaders from around the world are getting refuse and immunity in EU nations, UK and even in US.
Still, I'd recommend everyone to pay your bills timely. McAfee messed up his life badly.
Gyfts
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 1512

View Profile
June 23, 2021, 09:47:04 PM

I've seen a lot of conspiracies about it already, lot of people think he got Epstein'd, apparently. US doesn't mess around with financial crimes, he was gonna rot in a federal prison for the rest of his life after a life of luxury, no surprise to me he killed himself. I would feel sympathetic, but it isn't too difficult to follow the tax law and not get caught up in white collar frauds. If this was just a case of someone avoiding taxes, slapping them with a huge fine and calling it a day seems fair, because let's be honest, wealthy people dodge taxes all the time and plenty never get caught.
cmg777

Activity: 478
Merit: 66

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2021, 09:47:39 PM
Last edit: June 23, 2021, 11:01:01 PM by cmg777

Yep he is indeed dead. In a prison cell no less much like Jeffrey Epstein. Coincidence?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57589822

Whenever he was interviewed before he died he became a total drunk was wasted when he was on. He may have been a crypto scammer but he knew the inner workings when he was a respected anti-virus analyzer creating the McAfee anti-virus software before being bought out by Intel.

Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2021, 09:47:45 PM

Why would he commit suicide IN SPAIN?

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
franky1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2021, 10:00:28 PM

he was a bit paranoid. he thought the tax evasion arrest was just a sidenote. where he thought the US was after him for murder torture, theft, drugs and scams

The awful part of this scheme is it's mostly one way and selective.
Many of large tax evaders, financial criminals and corrupt leaders from around the world are getting refuse and immunity in EU nations, UK and even in US.
Still, I'd recommend everyone to pay your bills timely. McAfee messed up his life badly.
exactly.. there was a UK retail mogul that owned many retail brands. he syphoned money and leached at the employees pension fund. spent it in spain on luxury houses and yachts.. yet no arrest no extradition

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Twinkledoe

Activity: 1904
Merit: 138

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
June 23, 2021, 10:03:17 PM

We don't know his reasons but definitely this is an unexpected one. We thought he can always get away from the allegations thrown to him. He was mentioning in his tweets that the US government will not get anything from him because those 'assets' had been dissolved already to Team McAfee. Maybe he didn't want to go thru the lengthy trials in the US and preferred to rest in peace instead. There's more than meets the eyes here.
cabron

Activity: 2814
Merit: 597

https://www.betcoin.ag

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2021, 10:12:20 PM

He was just in the news recently whre he said all his crypto assets are gone. Could it be that he is tortured by Spanish guards and simply make it look like he hang himself?  Yep its a conspiracy theory again but mind you it happens all the time to the poor men in 3rd world counties.

Tax has to be paid in full, thats a message but seem like there are more Elons out there.

LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2021, 10:39:31 PM

Seems that I lived under the rock in past months and I wasn't aware that he was in prison. But I'm not surprised that he ended his life in such way :/ RIP.
But I don't think that's something wrong that court deiced to send him to USA. He didn't paid taxes in US jurisdiction, so, he had to respond there. So, why Spain should keep him?
Probably because court in Spain recently had approved his extradition to USA. And it's obvious that he didn't wanted to go there.

DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6259

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2021, 11:25:07 PM
Merited by Quickseller (2)

He was just in the news recently whre he said all his crypto assets are gone. Could it be that he is tortured by Spanish guards and simply make it look like he hang himself?  Yep its a conspiracy theory again but mind you it happens all the time to the poor men in 3rd world counties.

Tax has to be paid in full, thats a message but seem like there are more Elons out there.

Could also be in the other direction. He handed the guards a bunch of money and walked out the front door and a "John Doe" in the morgue was who was found in McAfee's cell.
Considering the amount of drugs he had admitted to have taken later in life you never know what was going through his mind.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
cmg777

Activity: 478
Merit: 66

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2021, 12:00:15 AM

Could also be in the other direction. He handed the guards a bunch of money and walked out the front door and a "John Doe" in the morgue was who was found in McAfee's cell.
Considering the amount of drugs he had admitted to have taken later in life you never know what was going through his mind.

-Dave

Well I wish that is how it turned out. McAfee getting away with much BTC because he was an early adopter and changing his name. However, his previous tweets paint the sad truth:

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1200864283766251521?

https://twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1316801215083225096?

rhomelmabini

Activity: 2002
Merit: 578

View Profile
June 24, 2021, 12:33:53 AM
Last edit: June 24, 2021, 02:51:18 AM by rhomelmabini

-Dave
That's another way to put it but who knows what could really have happened? I guess there's no way the guy will commit such thing, I'm saying he still got the right mind not to do it, sad thing but I guess there must be a foul play in here of he truly died, just my opinion.
franky1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2021, 12:53:52 AM

oh heck.. just for entertainment and fun and in no seriousness. lets go full conspiracy

so his kid wrote a tweet about happy fathers day and saying how he was in prison that day..
but mcafee dun goofed he retweeted the kids message afterwards.
(not possible to do stuff while in jail)

so he must have got out of jail.. after the 20th

maybe just maybe he isnt dead and its just a bit of misinformation to get US courts off his back

sirazimuth
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 3485

born once atheist

View Profile
June 24, 2021, 01:53:05 AM

How do we know it was all about taxes?
The guy was demented and had issues that went way beyond a tax bill.

Bitcoin...the future of all monetary transactions...and always will be
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
June 24, 2021, 02:29:51 AM

he was a bit paranoid. he thought the tax evasion arrest was just a sidenote. where he thought the US was after him for murder torture, theft, drugs and scams

I am not familiar with his alleged other crimes, but the US government has taken down a number of mob bosses on tax charges. They were guilty of plenty of other very bad things but that was difficult to prove.

He has a pretty long history of doing crazy things for attention. He had run for president a number of times without putting in any serious effort into his campaign, but it resulted in media attention.

He likely had a decent amount of money outside of the traditional banking system and overseas jailers are generally can be more easily bribed. I can see him faking his death to get out of jail without a resulting manhunt and him living on a boat for the rest of his life (as he had been).
Lee_Mire

Activity: 56
Merit: 13

View Profile
June 24, 2021, 11:13:38 AM

oh heck.. just for entertainment and fun and in no seriousness. lets go full conspiracy

so his kid wrote a tweet about happy fathers day and saying how he was in prison that day..
but mcafee dun goofed he retweeted the kids message afterwards.
(not possible to do stuff while in jail)

so he must have got out of jail.. after the 20th

maybe just maybe he isnt dead and its just a bit of misinformation to get US courts off his back

He is dead mate. The least we can do is let him RIP. He was maverick and definitely brightened up my day on many occasions.
semobo

Activity: 1498
Merit: 146

View Profile
June 24, 2021, 02:51:07 PM

There are lot of rich people don't report their exact earnings and paying less taxes than actually how much they have to pay, so everyone should be deported? Tax evading is treated as crime but the punishment for such crimes on 99% of the cases are going to be the extra penalty along with the tax they have to oay for it.
zeuner

Activity: 189
Merit: 16

View Profile
June 24, 2021, 02:56:54 PM

i know this might not seem empathetical. but from a P & S point of view.
taxes should be treated as civil court(like unpaid bills) and not criminal court.
but.. trying to extradite a guy from spain to the US to answer to tax claims seems a bit harsh

having the tax case extradition as the tipping point for him to suicide himself. just seems extreme

we all though the rumours of him possibly killing a neighbour and transporting drugs and weapons
but to have the US not push that. and instead get spanish police to arrest him over american tax evasion. and then grant extradition over tax evasion seems a bit much

i mean imagine someone else under suspicion of a true crime like abuse/murder/hard drugs. but nothing is done. then getting locked up and extradited for not paying a bill..

has the political system gone nuts.
i understand paying tax is important to governments. but in the scheme of crime/harm level. just seems a little bit too forceful to be handling someone internationally over something thats literally an unpaid bill

(yes i get there are other things involved. but lets play the politics version of events that its just to do with tax evasion)

do you feel that someone should be arrested and then deported over an unpaid bill?
i might understand it if he was already found guilty of not paying taxes. and then refused to pay the court fines.and then left the country
but before even being found guilty of an unpaid bill. when its still just suspected. seems harsh to go to the extremes, right?.. especially when so many others do the same and get away with it.

The fiscal interests of a country belong to the most important things that keep the country alive. So any sane legislator would think twice before making it a mere party in a civil case.

A solution might be to reduce possibilities to accumulate tax debt, for example by relying on mechanisms to raise taxes that occur with lesser delays, like VAT in many countries.
bakasabo
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1178

View Profile
June 24, 2021, 03:24:02 PM

Probably because court in Spain recently had approved his extradition to USA. And it's obvious that he didn't wanted to go there.

But he would have been put not in a regular jail. He would serve his sentence in a jail for "white collars". He wont be put in a jail full with rapist, murders, drug sellers.
I've read that he would have spend his next 30 years in jail for his crimes. With his money, connections and reputation I think he would feel rather comfortable in jail.
Of course he will be forced to work with feds to reveal other scammer, but I dont see nothing scary to return to the US.
I think that he was either murdered and whole case was set as a suicide, or due to drugs he had lost his mind and went to far with strangling himself (I've read that addicted to that to feel more buzz). Or, he was 76 already, people die in this age. Spanish prison stuff messed with monitoring his health and turn everything into suicide.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Cnut237
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1277

View Profile
June 24, 2021, 06:15:27 PM

seems a little bit too forceful to be handling someone internationally over something thats literally an unpaid bill

Yes, as you say, it's obviously not really about the tax. Just like it wasn't really taxes with Al Capone a century ago.
Just like with Assange, it wasn't really him vs Sweden over a rape allegation... extradition to the US on whatever charge was always the motivation.

Just goes to show that laws are there to be bent and twisted and exploited and applied however you want... provided you are the government. Ordinary people of course don't have that luxury.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: