Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:09:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: The feasibility of building a distributed physical delivery system?
Someone already done and doing similar things now. - 4 (28.6%)
Easy! At least theoretically. - 1 (7.1%)
Could be done, but very difficult. - 6 (42.9%)
None / Impossible - 1 (7.1%)
Don't understand the question. - 2 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Poll/Discuss] The possibility of a distributed physical delivery system  (Read 1180 times)
Bitbird (OP)

Activity: 234
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2011, 06:28:16 PM
Last edit: March 04, 2012, 12:56:02 PM by Bitbird

What could be the right "distributed (P2P) physical delivery system"? How to build one?

An over-simple example: A kind of high speed transportation grids/tubes/devices/mechanism which could delivery your packages to your "mailbox" (could be at a public location). Then you paid BTC to received it.

[Will add more details...]

Related News:

Aerial robots swarm the stage at TED [video] -
http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2012/03/robots-swarm-the-stage-at-ted.ars

Flying Robotic Swarm of Nano Quadrotors Gets Millions of Views, New Company | Singularity Hub -
http://singularityhub.com/2012/02/05/flying-robotic-swarm-of-nano-quadrotors-gets-millions-of-views-new-company/

[Added by March 04, 2012]

"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2011, 09:29:22 PM

Do you mean this? Smiley
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=6279.0

I really hope that someone is going to do it! Cheesy

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
Vanderbleek

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 01, 2011, 09:48:56 PM

Not to be a downer, but hasn't this been done? By UPS, Fedex, DHL...

Yes, they're companies and not "P2P" but I have a hard time believing any service involving a large coordination of people could be as efficient as their way of routing packages. Now autonomous vehicles (UAVs, swarm-bots etc) might have a go at it, but people -- in large numbers -- are slow and inefficient.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2011, 10:40:09 PM

Yes yes yes yes yes please?
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
December 01, 2011, 11:46:08 PM

Smiley

Not really much of a discussion starter.  I'd suggest elaborating on what you mean so people have a better idea of how you propose to do it.
Bitbird (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2011, 06:21:42 PM

@HostFat,
Thank you for bring up this topic! I have already seen it at a glance before but can't remember it's title. Will reading that.

@Vanderbleek,
Indeed. The efficiency could be a main problem. Some "objects" might be delivered by 3D-printer, though it wouldn't be considering as truly "physical delivery". On the other hand, autonomous vehicles and transportation might be more prospective.

Robotics Meets Architecture – 50 Quadcopters Will Autonomously Build Twenty Foot Tower (Video) | Singularity Hub

@tysat,
Sorry for the over simple starter. I'll make my subject more clear when I figure out what could be the right "distributed (P2P) physical delivery system". I'm still exploring the idea and gathering more information at present.

ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 06:23:40 PM

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1149
not distributed but whatever Wink

(BFL)^2 < 0
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 06:37:09 PM

It would require escrow. The carriers would need to be bondable. Law enforcement would need to included in the process when transporting across borders. Other than that, Bitcoin is ideal for logistics.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Vanderbleek

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 06:58:26 PM

@Vanderbleek,
Indeed. The efficiency could be a main problem. Some "objects" might be delivered by 3D-printer, though it wouldn't be considering as truly "physical delivery". On the other hand, autonomous vehicles and transportation might be more prospective.

Robotics Meets Architecture – 50 Quadcopters Will Autonomously Build Twenty Foot Tower (Video) | Singularity Hub

It would be fairly easy to do with quadrotors -- each flies half the distance it can go on a full charge, in the direction of a hub closer to the destination. Still not sure if it would be faster than UPS though -- might be worth testing. Would be difficult for large packages (require large or many quads) but for small parcels...
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2011, 07:16:59 PM

I still like the runner idea, mostly due to Mirrors Edge and Snowcrash. I agree that would be difficult though. Escrow and ratings would be needed (like, not get payment or rating until the guy you give the package to scans your QR code to verify receipt)
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 07:27:06 PM

What do they call it in Geo-caching when you leave an item to be moved? I hear that people send trinkets around the world with the help of other ego-cashers. is there any way to use this type of technique? Of course it's a pis-poor way to get your weed from SR. You would be lucky to get a stem and a seed after passing through so many people. lol

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2011, 07:45:30 PM

What do they call it in Geo-caching when you leave an item to be moved? I hear that people send trinkets around the world with the help of other ego-cashers. is there any way to use this type of technique? Of course it's a pis-poor way to get your weed from SR. You would be lucky to get a stem and a seed after passing through so many people. lol

Geocaching usually involves totally useless and cheap trinkets whose only purpose is to be tracked online. With this system there would have to be an incentive to deliver the package and get paid as opposed to keeping the package and re selling it for money.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 02, 2011, 09:28:00 PM

Geocaching usually involves totally useless and cheap trinkets whose only purpose is to be tracked online. With this system there would have to be an incentive to deliver the package and get paid as opposed to keeping the package and re selling it for money.
Yes, incentive is the problem. But is there a way to incentivize a dead drop? ... I got nothin.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Bitbird (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2012, 03:11:05 PM

I thought these kind of systems could be done within some urban area where Wi-Fi hot spot was denser. We could build them by a team of quadrotors. The parts of these quadrotors should be build by 3D printer if they were open-source, at least for the uncomplicated parts.

A kind of self manage function will build in these quadrotors. The deliver info/map should be encrypted and confirm by this build-in function. In the short range(1~2km) they might not need to re-charged their batteries therefor they can delivered the package by only one quadrotor. But if the range was longer then re-charged would be needed, some kind of charge spot must be provided.

The build-in function should paid Bitcoin or other crypto-currencies for changed the electric energies which may provided by authentic hosts. These authentic hosts should received a kind of "key" for quadrotors to recognized them. After they finished the recharging process and head off to the next spot, the coins should be paid and the rank of the hosts reputation also been raised accordingly.

This's only my simple idea. Many details and problems which we don't know yet still need to be addressed.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: