Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:43:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [PULL] remove GUI 'Generate Coins' option  (Read 10509 times)
jgarzik (OP)
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
April 03, 2011, 06:44:50 PM
Last edit: April 03, 2011, 10:08:29 PM by jgarzik

URL: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/142

Description:

Hide this capability from GUI users, who are unlikely to understand upon first contact that they will waste electricity for year(s), before possibly generating a single block.

This patch does not remove generation, which remains available via a command line option.  It only removes the ability to select coin generation from the GUI.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jgarzik (OP)
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
April 03, 2011, 10:08:19 PM

Quoting IRC conversation...

<tcatm> jgarzik: how could a GUI user disable the miner after upgrading to a version with that patch?

<jgarzik> tcatm: good point...

<tcatm> I'd say move the setting to the options dialog and rename it

<jgarzik> tcatm: I'd rather just disable at startup, if (GUI && wallet_generation_enabled)
<jgarzik> tcatm: command line can [override this behavior]

<tcatm> jgarzik: sounds good, too

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Luke-Jr
Legendary
expert

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
April 04, 2011, 03:15:18 AM

Could just rename the (internal) setting name, and have it default to off...

gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 05, 2011, 05:57:06 AM

URL: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/142

Description:

Hide this capability from GUI users, who are unlikely to understand upon first contact that they will waste electricity for year(s), before possibly generating a single block.

This patch does not remove generation, which remains available via a command line option.  It only removes the ability to select coin generation from the GUI.

Agreed.

There is absolutely no need to piss of any new subscribers by tricking them into thinking they can generate bitcoins using their CPU anymore.

The minute they get their $100+ extra electricity bill and inquire as to "why"... they will stop using bitcoin and bitch about us to everyone they know immediately. I would. If I were that dumb.
xf2_org

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
April 18, 2011, 07:14:13 PM

<jgarzik> tcatm: I'd rather just disable at startup, if (GUI && wallet_generation_enabled)

Branch updated to ignore fGenerateBitcoins stored wallet setting (see forum thread) in GUI version of bitcoin.
Pieter Wuille
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2011, 08:51:19 PM

Is there anyone objecting to this?

I do Bitcoin stuff.
gjs278

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2011, 09:07:13 PM

I do not object. remove the cpu support in the main client.
wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 06:20:59 AM

Yep, remove it. IMO, the client doesn't need to have a miner built in at all, but removing the option is a good step forward.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
lulzplzkthx

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2011, 06:01:01 PM

Please remove it. The built-in generator is worthless now anyway.

Matt Corallo
expert

Activity: 755
Merit: 515

View Profile
May 03, 2011, 06:26:27 PM

Pulled, closed, done.  Thanks Gavin.
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/b99c23af4092395b47f5b0491c46dd9ead435d3b

Bitcoin Core, rust-lightning, http://bitcoinfibre.org etc.
PGP ID: 07DF 3E57 A548 CCFB 7530  7091 89BB B866 3E2E65CE
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 03:08:21 PM
Last edit: May 15, 2011, 03:39:23 PM by jimbobway

I think I disagree with this decision and here is my reasoning:

Mining is comparable to mining for gold.  Personally, I am a gold miner and have access to gold claims.  I started mining for gold with a gold pan.  I remember going to rivers and panning for gold but I didn't find any gold.  The gold pan was what I started off with and it sort of gave me "gold fever".  In fact, many gold miners start off with basic tools but when one tool was not sufficient then upgrades were necessary.

I think the "Generate Coins" in the menu is similar to the basic plastic gold pan because it give people a glimpse of what mining is.  It is what starts off the "gold fever" (aka "bitcoin fever").  Gold fever is real and I believe bitcoin fever is very similar.  Just Google "gold fever" and you will see thousands and thousands of hits.

The "Generate Coins" may frustrate people but it gives more value to bitcoins by introducing people to mining.  The reason why you guys want to get rid of it is because you are already old timers and have upgraded all your equipment to sluice boxes, dump trucks, and heavy machinery.  For the newbies it gives them a chance to have the same feeling and thus attract more people to the bitcoin community.

jimbobway
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 03:37:17 PM

I was just thinking...maybe we can re-add the "Generate Coins" in the menu but also put in "Estimated Time to find coins" somewhere so people don't get as frustrated.

Don't take out "Generate Coins"!
Matt Corallo
expert

Activity: 755
Merit: 515

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 03:42:01 PM

Sorry, but the consensus was, by quite a margin, to remove it.  Its too late.

Bitcoin Core, rust-lightning, http://bitcoinfibre.org etc.
PGP ID: 07DF 3E57 A548 CCFB 7530  7091 89BB B866 3E2E65CE
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2011, 04:46:50 PM

Mining is comparable to mining for gold.  Personally, I am a gold miner and have access to gold claims.  I started mining for gold with a gold pan.  I remember going to rivers and panning for gold but I didn't find any gold.  The gold pan was what I started off with and it sort of gave me "gold fever".  In fact, many gold miners start off with basic tools but when one tool was not sufficient then upgrades were necessary.

So because of personal nostalgic memories of panning for gold and not finding any, therefore keep "Generate Coins" option.

I think the "Generate Coins" in the menu is similar to the basic plastic gold pan because it give people a glimpse of what mining is.  It is what starts off the "gold fever" (aka "bitcoin fever").  Gold fever is real and I believe bitcoin fever is very similar.  Just Google "gold fever" and you will see thousands and thousands of hits.

So in order to encourage unrealistic optimism about a newbies' CPU mining capabilities, keep "Generate Coins" option.

The "Generate Coins" may frustrate people but it gives more value to bitcoins by introducing people to mining.  The reason why you guys want to get rid of it is because you are already old timers and have upgraded all your equipment to sluice boxes, dump trucks, and heavy machinery.  For the newbies it gives them a chance to have the same feeling and thus attract more people to the bitcoin community.

So in order to perpetuate the belief that the point of bitcoin is mining (not trading), keep "Generate Coins" option.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
jimbobway
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 05:45:21 PM

So because of personal nostalgic memories of panning for gold and not finding any, therefore keep "Generate Coins" option.

So in order to encourage unrealistic optimism about a newbies' CPU mining capabilities, keep "Generate Coins" option.

So in order to perpetuate the belief that the point of bitcoin is mining (not trading), keep "Generate Coins" option.

I think satoshi tried to emulate the aspects of gold.  He did compare gold mining and bitcoin mining. Bitcoin is worth as much as people think it is worth. If people understand that it is hard to make bitcoins then it will give value to bitcoins.
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2011, 03:50:18 AM

I think satoshi tried to emulate the aspects of gold.  He did compare gold mining and bitcoin mining. Bitcoin is worth as much as people think it is worth. If people understand that it is hard to make bitcoins then it will give value to bitcoins.

Back when metals were standard currency, ordinary people didn't bother mining.  Nor should people of the future have to even bother to think about generating bitcoins.  Yes, I like how satoshi emulates the aspects of gold and mining with bitcoin.  But trade something for an ounce of silver, I do not need to bother to think about how silver mining works and how there is a limited amount of silver.  I simply perform the transaction, and just see the silver as a unit of money.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 09:09:35 AM

I think the consensus is that the main client should not contain anything like specific implementations of mining code, that is best left to dedicated mining software. I believe the idea is to leave a reference implementation of a miner, but that's it. I agree with this sentiment.
Pieter Wuille
Legendary
qt

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2011, 09:16:38 AM

Well, what's this "consensus" based upon?

My logic is simple:

More users generating => Better system protection => Make it easier to generate => Don't remove generation from the client, rather improve it.

At which step my thinking failed me? Smiley

At the fact that 10000 users running a CPU miner would only result in a few % increased total hash rate. Mining is a business, the economics of which make it profitable only for those with the most efficient hardware. Don't give users false hope that it is otherwise. If they are persistent that they still want to mine on a CPU, they can run a CPU miner, which has better algorithms too.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Nesetalis

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2011, 09:18:50 AM

you might be able to improve generation some... but generation works by specification, not generalization. So how do you propose creating a general hasher that is good enough that some one might actually make a block any time soon?
all it will do is increase the difficulty :p really doesnt matter much, but its a pointless effort for every one of those clients.
just wastes electricity.

ZOMG Moo!
Pieter Wuille
Legendary
qt

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2011, 09:33:40 AM

a) Why can't the client be improved to the point where it is at least comparable with big miners? 1 coin per month is Ok. If user's system doesn't support GPU code - don't use CPU for that or warn him.
GPU mining code in the default client is an incredible mess. There are many algorithms tuned for different cards, and one has to support different versions of OpenCL and CUDA for different operating systems, making it unmaintainable and pulling in tons of dependencies. This is much better done in specialized packages, those will be better at it anyway.

1 BTC / month currently corresponds to 256 Mhash/s. There are no CPU's that can do that, and only a few GPU's can.

b) Isn't coin generation random? So there is a chance, however small, that an ordinary user will generate new coins?
Yes, but at some point it's just not worth it.

c) Isn't several big miners, instead of numerous independent clients, pose a greater risk and can manipulate and control bitcoin? What if in the nearest future there will be like 2-3 really big guys, like VISA and MasterCard and they will control 95% of block generation? Wouldn't this make bitcoin a new PayPal, instead of truly independent currency?
Maybe, but that does not mean we want tons of people burning electricity for almost no additional strength to the network.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: